• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    locked wrote:
    give up man..

you cannot outlast D2D..

trust me..

:D

don't worry, i'm a masochist. ;)
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Speaking of the cougar role . . . is it a verb - to cougar.

For instance, do you say I would like to be your cougar or;
    Today we go cougaring
    I've cougared you
    Let's stop by the soda fountain and cougar
    I was going to cougar him, but I'm too young etc etc etc . . .

It's quite the loaded verb, eh?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    locked wrote:
    give up man..

you cannot outlast D2D..

trust me..

:D

don't worry, i'm a masochist. ;)

see, i knew there was something i liked about you....;)

and my only point in all of this was simply, NO one was giving shit as to how you or any man may use woman or girl interchangeably. again, it is usually obvious by the context if it is meant simply as the same, or as a slag.
    Flagg wrote:
    Hey locked - First off, get really skinny if you aren't already. I mean really skinny. We should be able to count your ribs. Then, avoid the sun for months until you are pasty white. Then, grow your hair out a little. If it isn't black, dye it. Then wear just a touch of makeup. Not so much as to notice it, but just enough to keep people guessing. Start listening to Muse and familiarize yourself with all things Twilight. Get a slight British tinge to your accent and walk around looking all sensitive and depressed.

You won't be able to beat back all of the 35 year old women that will come knocking your door down.

hey! locked.

DO NOT follow this advice. unless you want a 35 year old girl and not a 35 year old woman.

YOU seemed to take the offense for cate choosing to illustrate her point by using the girl/woman thing. flagg DID use the term woman, so no bashing there. and personally, i thought cate's point was WELL illustrated (and appropriately used in context) by such a simple statement.

but go ahead and be annoyed by it, but many of us find it illustrative. that is all.

locked m'dear...mea culpa from trampling on your fine online dating thread. :oops: ya know i love ya, and i have given you some good plugs in here! just got side-tracked, as quite often happens, with language discussion..... :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

YOU seemed to take the offense for cate choosing to illustrate her point by using the girl/woman thing. flagg DID use the term woman, so no bashing there. and personally, i thought cate's point was WELL illustrated (and appropriately used in context) by such a simple statement.

but go ahead and be annoyed by it, but many of us find it illustrative. that is all.

there's a world of difference between offense and annoyance. like i said, it's just a pet peeve of mine. i knew exactly what she was doing, i just think it's a tired cliche. what's stranger, me being bothered by it, or how much it seems to bother you that i'm bothered by it? ;)
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I don't remember if I've posted in this thread or not, but I found the guy I'm currently seeing on a dating site. I was a bit embarrassed about it at first but I don't go to bars to hunt for men so this worked out better for me. He's a sweetie, though not a huge Pearl Jam fan (yet ;) ). I figured I'd get him to be full blown after the Halloween show but he's on call and can't make the show. He used to follow the Black Crowes so I know it's just a matter of time till I sway him :)

I did have a bunch of duds for dates though before him and I met up.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • locked wrote:
    - Constantly talk about nothing but themsleves.

- Expect to be provided for (money, gifts,
    - Have an overblown opinion of their own attractiveness level.
    - Have a very little sense of humor..

thats true of most of the women that i've encountered online and off.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Whizbang wrote:

But you can say the same for a lot of people who are unhappily married/in a relationship. There is some deep seeded reason as to why they don't leave. Most of the time, people are too afraid to be alone with themselves, afraid of what they might see. So they either stick it out unhappily to avoid being alone or they constantly jump from one relationship to the next to avoid being alone.

As for me, I've tried the on-line thing. A bit too much work for something I am content not having. I've talked with quite a few, been on a few dates....some good, some not so good. I've had just as much "luck", so to speak, by meeting people through friends and family. Didn't seem to be a great use of my time.

I agree, if you want it to work, you have to weed through a lot of BS...including men who love to hear themselves talk and constantly interrupt you to change the subject to where they worked or how much they hate their mother, claim to be Sir Lancelot looking for his Queen (asking if I was willing to be said Queen), men who ask if a girlfriend in one of my photos was available if I wasn't interested, men who claim to want an independent woman but are indignant when you offer to pay your own way for dinner (quite possibly the same men who then complain women only want men to pay for everything). Even better is the man who is suddenly insulted that, if it gets to the point of a physical relationship, you are actually responsible enough to have condoms. I find that though some men claim to be attracted to a woman who is quite capable of living on her own without "needing" a man are threatened by that and seek to change it.

That could very well be my deep seeded reason - I love my independence, love who I am. I rebel against anyone who threatens that. and no, I am not kidding on the Sir Lancelot thing. I do hate mowing my lawn though.... ;)

i'll mow your lawn, but dont ask me any questions.

I shall provide lawn mower & gas....and your beer of preference. Be sure to mow on Sundays because I like being a football sloth and ignoring everyone. I'll leave the beer on the porch.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    So is this what I've got to look forward to after my divorce? :shock:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i once dated a board member who lived in seattle. it was fun times. a few days ago i was looking through the pm's under my other name just for fun and some of them were from her and i just read them and smiled. it's nice to finally be at peace with certain things in life.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    metsfan wrote:
    i once dated a board member who lived in seattle. it was fun times. a few days ago i was looking through the pm's under my other name just for fun and some of them were from her and i just read them and smiled. it's nice to finally be at peace with certain things in life.

Under your other name? :?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Under your other name? :?
    yea i had like 2 other names besides metsfan on the old board. so for fun i logged into one of them and i was able to read my pm's. weird cause when i signed up for the 10c for the 2nd go around i didn't use that email addy. guess they really did carry everything from the old board. i'd like to know why old names carried over if this is a 10c membership board and all.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• So is this what I've got to look forward to after my divorce? :shock:
    u never know what comes up in life..online next hour , in the next corner in the next trip,in the next moment,,who knows?? :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Flagg wrote:
    Hey locked - First off, get really skinny if you aren't already. I mean really skinny. We should be able to count your ribs. Then, avoid the sun for months until you are pasty white. Then, grow your hair out a little. If it isn't black, dye it. Then wear just a touch of makeup. Not so much as to notice it, but just enough to keep people guessing. Start listening to Muse and familiarize yourself with all things Twilight. Get a slight British tinge to your accent and walk around looking all sensitive and depressed.

You won't be able to beat back all of the 35 year old women that will come knocking your door down.

hey! locked.

DO NOT follow this advice. unless you want a 35 year old girl and not a 35 year old woman.

1. Why do women love so much playing semantics with the whole woman/girl thing? Any time you let slip the word every woman on the pit smells blood in the water and races to inform you that you're just too duped by youth and beauty to find a real "woman." I think they truly believe all men should enter puberty desiring nothing but 40 year old women that used to behave just like the girls they love to hate now, but suddenly when the looks fade they think men should see right through the games they themselves played in their younger days.

2. I believe you candidly admitted to me an Edward attraction yourself ya hypocrite ;)

bwhahaha

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81829&p=2553184&hilit=edward#p2553184
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I think we're just one more page away from adding this to the Greatest Running Jokes thread! :lol:

i was actually more offended that you called me a hypocrite. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Whizbang wrote:

But you can say the same for a lot of people who are unhappily married/in a relationship. There is some deep seeded reason as to why they don't leave. Most of the time, people are too afraid to be alone with themselves, afraid of what they might see. So they either stick it out unhappily to avoid being alone or they constantly jump from one relationship to the next to avoid being alone.

TOTALLY agree with this. They could be afraid of being alone or afraid of going against what you're "supposed" to do or trying to make up for an absent parent growing up or locked in financially...
    Whizbang wrote:
    claim to be Sir Lancelot looking for his Queen (asking if I was willing to be said Queen), men who ask if a girlfriend in one of my photos was available if I wasn't interested, men who claim to want an independent woman but are indignant when you offer to pay your own way for dinner (quite possibly the same men who then complain women only want men to pay for everything). Even better is the man who is suddenly insulted that, if it gets to the point of a physical relationship, you are actually responsible enough to have condoms. I find that though some men claim to be attracted to a woman who is quite capable of living on her own without "needing" a man are threatened by that and seek to change it.

right on sister. I've seen all of these as well. Though the Sir Lancelot/Queen schitck is fairly hilarious. I keep getting guys who want to know if I want to "live the good life" with them. What does that mean????
    [
    1. Why do women love so much playing semantics with the whole woman/girl thing? Any time you let slip the word every woman on the pit smells blood in the water and races to inform you that you're just too duped by youth and beauty to find a real "woman." I think they truly believe all men should enter puberty desiring nothing but 40 year old women that used to behave just like the girls they love to hate now, but suddenly when the looks fade they think men should see right through the games they themselves played in their younger days.

Well men don't like it when you call them boys, and it rarely happens, you call them guys or men. Once a male is past puberty, he becomes a "guy" and calling him a boy is sort of condescending. But women are often called "girls" throughout their lives. It's not horrible, but it can be a bit condescending, and can imply that guys referring to them are looking for prepubescent dependents.

But, in the context of this thread, as I mentioned, it really has nothing to do with age. I don't think I ever behaved in the way you and some of the other guys have described the girls you've dated in this thread. It can mean the difference between maturity and immaturity. For example, you said that girls in their 20s use sex as a bargaining chip. That sounds like something I would have found immature when I was in high school. I'm not saying I was fully mature "woman" in high school, but you get the picture. I don't think that any of the women here meant that young boys should be interested in 40 year old women. But when a man takes care of himself and respects others, he is referred to as a man. The same standard should be applied to women.
    Lauri wrote:
    right on sister. I've seen all of these as well. Though the Sir Lancelot/Queen schitck is fairly hilarious. I keep getting guys who want to know if I want to "live the good life" with them. What does that mean????

id be extremely weary of any man who used lancelot as a model for anything.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Lauri wrote:

but he thrusts so lustily... in battle.
    Lauri wrote:

but he thrusts so lustily... in battle.

not to mention he uses his lance a lot. :lol::lol::lol: :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Hey On-line dating worked for me.

And she even likes Pearl Jam.
    NERDS!
    I was reading an article the other day that I can't seem to find now, about the lack of single 30-something men relative to women. It said something like no one really knows why there at least seem to be so many more single women in their 30s than men, but that 30-something women usually find themselves dating either men in their mid-20s or divorced men in their 40s+. Have any of you other women noticed this? I think it's really true, and you can really seem to keep tabs on it on online dating- everyone who sends me a message or views my profile is either 26 or 46! I think it's very interesting.
    Lauri wrote:
    I was reading an article the other day that I can't seem to find now, about the lack of single 30-something men relative to women. It said something like no one really knows why there at least seem to be so many more single women in their 30s than men, but that 30-something women usually find themselves dating either men in their mid-20s or divorced men in their 40s+. Have any of you other women noticed this? I think it's really true, and you can really seem to keep tabs on it on online dating- everyone who sends me a message or views my profile is either 26 or 46! I think it's very interesting.

that is kinda interesting. dont they say men marry later? that could be part of it. i also think men will stay in relationships they don't want longer than women will, on the whole.
    Lauri wrote:

that is kinda interesting. dont they say men marry later? that could be part of it. i also think men will stay in relationships they don't want longer than women will, on the whole.

Well it's funny, they SAY men marry later, but that doesn't seem to be what I have seen around me. For example, all of my male friends from high school got married before our female friends, in their early to mid-20s. My closest male friend from college was the first to get married (to a woman a couple years older). I mean obviously they have to be marrying someone and with a few exceptions the women were about their same age, but it does just seem a bit skewed. I know a lot of men who panic more about the magic number 30 in terms of getting married than women. I know men who have actually said that it's the "right" or "responsible" or "grown up" thing to do to propose to the girl you are with when you are at "that age" (however they define it).

I would agree that it seems like men are more likely to stay in bad or less than stellar relationships, at least in certain demographics.

Oh but I actually don't understand how men marrying later would cause the disproportion? If they marry later, wouldn't that mean that they'd be single in their 30s?
    Lauri wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

Well it's funny, they SAY men marry later, but that doesn't seem to be what I have seen around me. For example, all of my male friends from high school got married before our female friends, in their early to mid-20s. My closest male friend from college was the first to get married (to a woman a couple years older). I mean obviously they have to be marrying someone and with a few exceptions the women were about their same age, but it does just seem a bit skewed. I know a lot of men who panic more about the magic number 30 in terms of getting married than women. I know men who have actually said that it's the "right" or "responsible" or "grown up" thing to do to propose to the girl you are with when you are at "that age" (however they define it).

I would agree that it seems like men are more likely to stay in bad or less than stellar relationships, at least in certain demographics.

i am not single, but i happen to agree with your hypothesis. 99.9% of the men i know in their 30s are married. most of the single women i know in their 30s, either date older or younger, very few around their own age. i also think the rare few single hetero guys in their 30s normally choose to date younger. men generally skew towards dating younger, tho of course there are exceptions and i think men in their 20s nowadays, in particular, are open to dating/having fun with older women.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Lauri wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

Oh but I actually don't understand how men marrying later would cause the disproportion? If they marry later, wouldn't that mean that they'd be single in their 30s?

where do you live? i've seen the opposite here. in certain areas, women probably stay single longer becos, let's face it, they can ;) in urban areas, women are single into the late 20s having fun and enjoying professional life and guys (who have to work twice as hard just to get a girl's number) maybe start to panic.

but here in the midwest, girls marry young, often right out of college and often to a guy a few years older. in the non-college set, it's even more imbalanced... 19 year old girls marrying the only guy in town with a real job who's 24. modern metro living hasn't caught on here ;)

but i guess both kinda work. if women stay single longer in urban areas, but marry younger in rural ones, there'd be a lot of them available in their 30s... either they just never married or they married young and got out around that age. on the flipside, if guys marry later and take a while to get out, they'd not be available until their 40s. or they'd just be in their 20s and not yet married. but a large dearth in the 30s as they just married and havent divorced yet.
    but i guess both kinda work. if women stay single longer in urban areas, but marry younger in rural ones, there'd be a lot of them available in their 30s... either they just never married or they married young and got out around that age. on the flipside, if guys marry later and take a while to get out, they'd not be available until their 40s. or they'd just be in their 20s and not yet married. but a large dearth in the 30s as they just married and havent divorced yet.

sounds right on the money.

also, isn't there just simply more women in the world, period? i am not 100% sure on that stat, but i thought on average, more female babies are born and survive than male. couple that with women generally living longer...an the dating scene for 50+ heavily favors males...not that anyone here is concerned with that dating sect, just sayin'... :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

where do you live? i've seen the opposite here. in certain areas, women probably stay single longer becos, let's face it, they can ;) in urban areas, women are single into the late 20s having fun and enjoying professional life and guys (who have to work twice as hard just to get a girl's number) maybe start to panic.

but here in the midwest, girls marry young, often right out of college and often to a guy a few years older. in the non-college set, it's even more imbalanced... 19 year old girls marrying the only guy in town with a real job who's 24. modern metro living hasn't caught on here ;)

oh I see what you mean. I think I am definitely speaking along the lines of more urban, more professional/educated women and men. And I hadn't thought of marrying younger and then getting divorced younger as a reason to increase the single 30-something female population.

I don't think it's quite so much easier for girls to meet guys as you claim though :). I don't think it's "easier" for women to stay single longer in the way you describe, but I do think that for professional-types, marriage (especially at an early age) has less to offer women and possibly more opportunity costs (having children, etc). I think many smart women realize that you really have to establish yourself before you you get mixed up financially with man or become too dependent on him because you've taken six months out of your career to have a baby. I think after years of watching previous generations of women become dependent on men only to be screwed over in the end, 20 and 30-something women today have learned to count on themselves first, and only then hitch their wagon to another's horse so to speak.
    Lauri wrote:
    I don't think it's quite so much easier for girls to meet guys as you claim though :). I don't think it's "easier" for women to stay single longer in the way you describe, but I do think that for professional-types, marriage (especially at an early age) has less to offer women and possibly more opportunity costs (having children, etc). I think many smart women realize that you really have to establish yourself before you you get mixed up financially with man or become too dependent on him because you've taken six months out of your career to have a baby. I think after years of watching previous generations of women become dependent on men only to be screwed over in the end, 20 and 30-something women today have learned to count on themselves first, and only then hitch their wagon to another's horse so to speak.

that's kinda what i meant. professional women have little incentive to marry young, so if you're not in one of those communities where women marry young, i'd think there'd be a higher likelihood of being single in one's 30s. but i think you're way off on meeting guys. a cute girl can go to a bar and have no problem meeting guys or being approached by them. maybe they're not exactly serious dating/marriage material, but you meet more people that way. it's still the social norm that guys are expected to ask girls out. a guy can go to a bar or social event and if he's lucky, get one phone number after chatting to one girl for an hour or two. a girl can, in the same situation, be approached by a couple guys and get all their numbers and decide who she wants. thus why i say young professional women don't need to marry... they can have a lot of fun just dating guys and seeing who works out. i think guys are more eager to lock a girl down by that age, knowing it's hard work even getting a date and the good ones will go quick.