Options

How come there are tickets still for sale??

Comments

• Options
    my reasons:

1: moved west
    2: i'm broke
    3: already goin to Bonnaroo
    4: my car is dying. I dont think it can handle a road trip.

but if they play Austin i'm there.
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    maybe they were able to broker a deal to get more than the 10% that's allowed to be allocated to fan clubs.

that's what I'm thinking..... especially with philly tix still being available....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    over_bends wrote:
    We need to realize that this isn't the casual fan sale. This is the fan club ticket sale. FAN CLUB. You need to be a die hard fan of a band to join a paid membership of a fan club. And why do you buy? 1st reason people will say as great as Deep Magazine is, is to get tickets. This isn't a lack of a buzz within the music community about Pearl Jam, this is a lack of a buzz within the Pearl Jam community about Pearl Jam.

But I myself am a relatively newcomer to the band and don't know how shows sold in previous tours. Perhaps we are the only ones who overhyped ability to get tickets?

Its not a lack of buzz within the pearl jam comminuty either.

its a lack of knowledge about how this whole system works.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    that's what I'm thinking..... especially with philly tix still being available....

it's what i'm praying for actually because if that's the case, then msg will be a whole helluva lot easier!
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    I'm excited and I haven't even got tickets yet (fingers crossed)

and since I wasn't expecting this tour, REALLY EXCITED!
  • Options
    this might have been mentioned already, but i'm too lazy to read all the posts. In 2006 people got shut out of Grand Rapids. My buddy had to get them from his sister's boss. The company she worked for had season tickets to the arena. So people were getting shut out. As for all the south bashing, people need to realize that not everyone is a shoeless banjo player down here. I grew up in the North East and moved to Atlanta for work, and that is extremely common in our neck of the woods. Alot of you guys sound like my moron former best friend who refuses to speak to me because I took a job down here when there were no teaching jobs in my hometown. That guy is an asshole. Don't be like him.

I hope the south comment ist direct at me, because I have been defending the south and the "lackluster sales"...

But your other comment.....apprently there were some probs with Grand Rapids.....perhaps becasue it is a WAY smaller venue than the rest of them?

And yeah, MSG had some issues too.....perhaps becasue there are 14 million people trying to cram into two shows????

Isolated incidents aside.....there were not widespread problems for the 2006 North America tour and the 05 Canadian tour.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I agree with what you said concerning the recession but not the ticket prices. I think that extra $48 makes a difference. I posted earlier how in college for the 2000 tour i went to three shows for about $100. Now eight years later that would be $210. I would say it was easier for me to come up with $100 eight years ago v. coming up with $210 today (if i were a college student now).

I believe minimum wage has increase significantly since then too, no?
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    ScottZeagleScottZeagle Posts: 169
    I consider myself a pretty die hard PJ fan, but I don't visit these forums often...

If I didn't have the band as a MySpace friend, I would not have known about the tour or the presale, because I didn't get the email.

There are a lot of valid points as to why the tickets aren't moving faster, but I think the biggest reason is still because people just aren't aware.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    voodoopug wrote:
    The recession argument holds no water with me (and yes I believe there is a recession right now). If the recession is to blame, than ticket prices would be of no concern. Those who are in dire straits would not be able to afford tickets if they were $80 per pair. I stand by my statement that if you can't afford $148 to spend on tickets, you can't afford $100 either. Anyone who maxes out a credit card or takes food off of their table to travel and follow a band deserves to be part of the recession.

Many are looking to blame everyone else for this recession when it indeed has two portions of blame in the largest sector of the recession (The home/mortgage market). Half of the blame falls on the institutions offering loans to those unqualified and half of the blame goes to the individuals who spent beyond their means.

It is really a necessity to be much more long sighted when blaming a recession on people not being able to afford an extra $40 for concert tickets.
    There's a fair amount of ambiguity to your post but you are more than entitled to you opinion no matter how convoluted another might find it. Money is usually the issue, more so than not having a new album out or a hit song, for not just snapping up tickets to a show and having it sell out in 5 minutes. Especially if there’s travel that might be involved. No additional sight, long or short, is required to figure that out.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    I'm going with the simplest answer... they arranged it so that there are enough tickets available for 10C members who want them in a certain time period.

Everyone has complained that there's never enough volume of posters/tickets/whatever to go around. Now there is. That says a lot in and of itself. I really think it's that simple. :)

This whole topic is quite amusing :D
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    dharma69 wrote:
    There's a fair amount of ambiguity to your post but you are more than entitled to you opinion no matter how convoluted another might find it. Money is usually the issue, more so than not having a new album out or a hit song, for not just snapping up tickets to a show and having it sell out in 5 minutes. Especially if there’s travel that might be involved. No additional sight, long or short, is required to figure that out.

I will agree with the idea that money usually is the issue as it pertains to government and most corporations big and small. In this instance, I just don't believe money plays the key role here. I am perfectly fine agreeing to disagree. My last point would be that history shows that everytime any announcement is made on this site, there is a large group of people that will complain no matter what.

Cheers, and see you on the tour.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    I hope the south comment ist direct at me, because I have been defending the south and the "lackluster sales"...

But your other comment.....apprently there were some probs with Grand Rapids.....perhaps becasue it is a WAY smaller venue than the rest of them?

And yeah, MSG had some issues too.....perhaps becasue there are 14 million people trying to cram into two shows????

Isolated incidents aside.....there were not widespread problems for the 2006 North America tour and the 05 Canadian tour.

i wasn't directing the south comment at you I agree with what you were saying, more people want to go to MSG. There's a bigger fan base in the NE. It's just the tone of some of the other posts are silly. It's almost like some of the members are saying "Nah nah the north is better than the south". I get that alot when I go up north to visit family and friends I'll be thrilled if there aren't a lot of people in Tampa, my 189 member number should get me some pretty sweet seats.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    i wasn't directing the south comment at you I agree with what you were saying, more people want to go to MSG. There's a bigger fan base in the NE. It's just the tone of some of the other posts are silly. It's almost like some of the members are saying "Nah nah the north is better than the south". I get that alot when I go up north to visit family and friends I'll be thrilled if there aren't a lot of people in Tampa, my 189 member number should get me some pretty sweet seats.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Thats very lame.

Esp since tickets are still available.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    it's not a small increase. tix in 2003 were $40. now they're $70. no big deal to me personally, but I bet it is to a lot of people

I would say that's just inflation though, seems like you can't go to any arena shows for under $70 anymore.
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    It also may have to do with many of the shows being on weekdays. More people would probably travel from further distances if some of the shows were on the weekends. I'm always ready to spend some vacation time to see Pearl Jam, but I've only got so much of it so I have to plan accordingly. I like to use the opportunity visit cities I've never been to, but those Tues, Wed, Thur, shows mean you have to take vacation a couple of days before or after as well.
  • Options
    Did the past tours really sell out within an hour?

in boston in new york, they usually seem to sell out in minutes.
  • Options
    For every normal tour it has not been hard to get 10C tickets. For the most part, anyone who wants them, gets them. The only time it has been difficult (VFC and other '05 dates) the 10C specifically stated that tickets were extremely limited.

I wish the 10C would just tell us, but I do not buy into this 10% theory one bit. In Camden '06, almost all seats went to the 10C. That is around 7500 seats I believe. Cap. is 25,000. I dont think that 5000 of those seats went to season ticket holders.

I really doubt that demand is down that much. Pearl Jam has had the same fan base since '96-98. It's been the same people buying tickets and their albums for the last 10 years.

I'm guessing that the 10C had way more than 10% of the venues. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
  • Options
    j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    I think it has a lot to do with money right now. Disposable income isn't quite there anymore (thanks recession). The economy sucks. People are afraid to take off work. So, I think that people are just trying to get to shows as close to home as possible. However, ticketmaster will announce the shows and they will sell out. I already had a friend today asking me how to get tickets and he's not in the 10c. He goes "I need a code!!!" He was so pissed he had to wait. I can't imagine he's the only one. There are people who really like Pearl Jam who aren't fanatics. There are tons of bands I would go see that I don't belong to their fan clubs. I also think there will be a lot less traveling this tour. It's right after the Eddie solo tour and it seems like people are traveling for that (I know I am). I have a good job, but I'm sure not printing money in the basement (if only...).

Many reasons...

- Sudden announcement and prior engagements. Most bands pla their tour a good six months in advance and let the public know. It seemed like this time around PJ just scrambled at the last minute and decided to do a small tour with Bonarroo. I'm guessing it's so they can get a feeling for playing together again before they go into the studio.

- Not much hype surrounding the band this tour. They haven't released a new album or anything so the label is not promoting these shows much, or at all.

- Economics. The economy is in a recession, not matter what they say. Gas is at an all time high, as well as tix. Some people just probably cannot afford to pay $148 a pair then book hotel rooms and flights for the band's limited regional dates.
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    you know, this is really kinda funny. when it was the south shows selling slow, it was because we suck. now that the north shows are selling equally as slow, it's the economy, right? whatever

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    dbl sorry

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219
    i dont think its the "new" material factor as much because this is only a tenclub presale not a radio presale or something...i think its the cost of tickets and once again im not ripping the band here im ripping the concert business itself! they have priced themselves out now! when gas costs are hitting $4 a gallon people have to think twice
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    I believe minimum wage has increase significantly since then too, no?

I think minimun wage is around 7.50 now.
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    you know, this is really kinda funny. when it was the south shows selling slow, it was because we suck. now that the north shows are selling equally as slow, it's the economy, right? whatever
    yeah that sounds about right
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I still find it odd that a poster in Dusseldorf can sell out in a virtual second, while it's so far taking days to selling out 10c tickets to a show.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    Why the hell arent they going as fast as past tours? Are people not as interested? Whats the dillio?

It's the economy, stupid :)
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    Look out!!! Camden AND D.C. Temporarily Out Of Stock!!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    I tend to subscribe to the "convergence of factors" theory. This is a very regional tour, no album (granted, the recent ones haven't been plat. or anything, but at least around here they do get radio play) higher ticket prices, higher gas/travel prices, lots of weekday shows, people more afraid of losing their job/paying their bills than going to shows.

And the biggest factor, I think, is that MANY people are used to going to multiple shows, especially within 10C. With all of the above, that simply can't happen as much this time around.

And yes, the short notice no doubt had something to do with it as well. Don't be surprised if the more popular venues sell out in coming days/weeks.
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    I still find it odd that a poster in Dusseldorf can sell out in a virtual second, while it's so far taking days to selling out 10c tickets to a show.

The poster is half the cost, is a piece of art & will last a lifetime. A concert this year is .38/minute and is over in three hours.
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    over_bends wrote:

Dusseldorf poster = limited number produced/available

Tickets = enough for 10C members who want them

Seems easy enough theory to equate :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    i've got the pair i wanted to get today so does it REALLY matter that there are any left?

as long as everyone who wanted some got theirs
    it really doesn't
    but that's just my opinion
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament