Options

How come there are tickets still for sale??

Comments

• Options
    OatsdadOatsdad Posts: 72
    Many reasons...

- Sudden announcement and prior engagements. Most bands pla their tour a good six months in advance and let the public know. It seemed like this time around PJ just scrambled at the last minute and decided to do a small tour with Bonarroo. I'm guessing it's so they can get a feeling for playing together again before they go into the studio.

- Not much hype surrounding the band this tour. They haven't released a new album or anything so the label is not promoting these shows much, or at all.

- Economics. The economy is in a recession, not matter what they say. Gas is at an all time high, as well as tix. Some people just probably cannot afford to pay $148 a pair then book hotel rooms and flights for the band's limited regional dates.

I think these are good points. The 2006 tour came alongside a much-hyped new album and was also the first full tour in three years. This one comes out of the blue and is a low-key venture without an accompanying release.

The economics are also likely a big factor. Everybody's down for this summer as far as I can tell. Springsteen isn't selling as well as usual, and the final jaunt for the Police looks like it has less than great demand. Of course, market saturation can be a factor, as both of those acts have played a lot lately, but I still think the stinky economy is going to really dent ticket sales for many acts.

Seriously, the big test will be if Madonna goes out this summer. She charges more than any of these other acts - I'll be very curious to see how she does in the current economic climate...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Did the past tours really sell out within an hour?

Because, seriously, I haven't had trouble getting tix since 1995. This isn't the VIC. This isn't the Ed solo tour.

These are huge venues with plenty of tickets available.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    maybe they were able to broker a deal to get more than the 10% that's allowed to be allocated to fan clubs.
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    skere26skere26 Posts: 304
    Perhaps an issue is that people aren't willing to travel as far for shows as in the past with the price increase and as well as fuel prices..
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    It just means you get a better seat.. the shows will sell out, maybe.. if not, its not the end of the world.. its not the 1990's anymore and a lot of people have lives now...they need new material too.. that might help..

agreed.
    they've done a LOT of touring since 2003....and really, only 2 completely NEW albums in all that time. sure, a b-sides album, couple live releases, etc.....but after riot act 2003 tour, we've had shows EVERY year, and yet only one new album. i think only the real die-hards continue to see a band live without a new album. just a thought......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Many reasons...

- Sudden announcement and prior engagements. Most bands plan their tour a good six months in advance and let the public know. It seemed like this time around PJ just scrambled at the last minute and decided to do a small tour with Bonarroo. I'm guessing it's so they can get a feeling for playing together again before they go into the studio.

- Not much hype surrounding the band this tour. They haven't released a new album or anything so the label is not promoting these shows much, or at all.

- Economics. The economy is in a recession, no matter what they say. Gas is at an all time high, as well as tix. Some people just probably cannot afford to pay $148 a pair then book hotel rooms and flights for the band's limited regional dates.
  • Options
    PJfanPAPJfanPA Posts: 130
    I remember tickets selling a lot quicker in the past! I was hoping for a second CAMDEN show! I hope it happens! It's the only shows I think I will make this year!
    09/02/00 04/28/03 07/05/03 07/06/03 07/12/03 10/01/04 10/03/05 05/13/06 05/27/06 05/28/06 06/01/06 06/03/06
  • Options
    Also, I too don't remember regular show 10c tix sellout out extremely fast unless it was like the Borgata or the Vic or something.

The only 03 show I remember selling out quickly was MSG.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    likewise :D

although you have more chance of winning the lottery than getting a "decent" ticket it would seem from reading the board recently!

how bad can a "bad" seat REALLY be though??

I don't care as long as I'm in the building.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    It's not that tickets aren't selling. It's that they are selling at a slower pace. Or perhaps it is the same pace as before, but with a larger quantity available.

I wouldn't be surprised if PJ/10C was able to secure a larger % of the venue's capacity in fanclub tickets in exchange for a little payola.

The up-side is that it looks as if everyone who wants tickets to these shows and acts with reasonable quickness is probably going to get them.

That's good news. Right?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Also, I too don't remember regular show 10c tix sellout out extremely fast unless it was like the Borgata or the Vic or something.

The only 03 show I remember selling out quickly was MSG.

absolutely!
    and MSG 2 the only show i know of that oversold 10c tix. given those are my 'hometown shows' does make me sweat it out when they come around again.

i DO remember though, people missing out on 10c tix for various shows/tours. i have always been REALLY lucky, zero issues for boston/VFC.....the gorge and canada 2005 and both eurotours 2006/2007. i did NOT try for any of the uber small shows like borgota or the vic, both were out for me. only small venue show i went to was irving plaza, and only b/c of the tower records deal. i think just the sheer frustration of dealing with the 10c servers really flips people out, whether they're shut out or not.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I agree with the points of previous posts particulary economics. I went to 5 shows in 2006, and will go to 1 this time. No hotel, no airplane, train, or automobile costs. Just metro. I have to be more careful, and I have less room to be impulsive.

Of course it's going to rock! I'm taking my twin's daughter, and she's learning to play the guitar :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    D.C. will be huge remember it's an election year? Also I tend to agree recession ect... I'm driving from indiana to D.C. that's about 100 bucks 1 way in gas alone let alone the 119 a night hotel for 2 nights and everything else. Wouldn't miss it for the world though. Also who gives a f@#k about the 90s the music is much better now a days. I've been a fan ever since their birth onto the scene. All you people stuck on Ten probably want to see the Poison tour this year also.(not that ten isn't a great album!) They're the only band left that sticks to their guns and practices what they preach!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765

Because, seriously, I haven't had trouble getting tix since 1995. This isn't the VIC. This isn't the Ed solo tour.

Ditto. I was only shut out of one show (for which I attempted to get tickets) on the 2006 tour. That was Santa Barbara. And that's a small venue. I still got to go (with another 10c), but it was the only show for which I was unable to buy 10c online.

And I waited until I had time to make the purchases. The shows I attended were all eventually sold out, thanks to the public.

Except for Gorge II. They had some lawn seats available day of the show and it was a Sunday night.

See you all in Florida!!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    agreed.
    they've done a LOT of touring since 2003....and really, only 2 completely NEW albums in all that time. sure, a b-sides album, couple live releases, etc.....but after riot act 2003 tour, we've had shows EVERY year, and yet only one new album. i think only the real die-hards continue to see a band live without a new album. just a thought......

Maybe for you East Coasters and Canadians they tour alot but they have only been to California in 2003 and 2006 and before that 2000. That is hardly touring alot.

East Coast Jammers are so spoiled I don't know what they would do with out a Pearl Jam show for 3 years which is what we average out here. Just for once I would want a 10 City tour that looked like this maybe in September:
    Seattle,
    Portland,
    San Francisco,
    LA
    San Diego,
    Las Vegas,
    Denver,
    Dallas,
    Austin for ACL
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    rhollandrholland Posts: 9
    rhinomagic wrote:
    It's not that tickets aren't selling. It's that they are selling at a slower pace. Or perhaps it is the same pace as before, but with a larger quantity available.

I wouldn't be surprised if PJ/10C was able to secure a larger % of the venue's capacity in fanclub tickets in exchange for a little payola.

The up-side is that it looks as if everyone who wants tickets to these shows and acts with reasonable quickness is probably going to get them.

That's good news. Right?

Stop being so logical. There's no place for that here.
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    maybe they were able to broker a deal to get more than the 10% that's allowed to be allocated to fan clubs.

yeah, maybe there are more tickets released to club members. Make it more of a 10c show. It this "10% allowed" a hardfast rule? Has that ever been verified?

I saw a thread reporting tickemaster tickets as cheaper than these 10c tickets (have no clue if this is true) .... maybe they are offering more 10c "premium" seats with a premium price tag.

also would like to see more control pass back into the band's hands.

Not a bad idea, hopefully we'll get decent seats.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    Easy, It was the way they announced the tour. I had a thread on it but people kept bashing me on it. I think a lot of people don't know about it yet.

BINGO.

Even the fact that maybe people couldn't come up with the money in 4 days to buy tix. The tix are higher now and the announcements are shorter. Hell, I still find myself sitting here debating if I can afford some of the shows that are just sitting in the sale section right now. In the past, no questions.

Not bitching about ticket prices, but it does make a huge difference on all those who went to a shitload of shows and now can't financially.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    rholland wrote:
    Stop being so logical. There's no place for that here.

Yeah, I know.

I'm supposed to be bouncing around from thread to thread, proclaiming that I bought tickets or asking them to play ABBA songs at the shows I'm attending. What was I thinking? ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Other than MSG.....I dont know of anyone getting shut out becasue they sold out too quick.

this might have been mentioned already, but i'm too lazy to read all the posts. In 2006 people got shut out of Grand Rapids. My buddy had to get them from his sister's boss. The company she worked for had season tickets to the arena. So people were getting shut out. As for all the south bashing, people need to realize that not everyone is a shoeless banjo player down here. I grew up in the North East and moved to Atlanta for work, and that is extremely common in our neck of the woods. Alot of you guys sound like my moron former best friend who refuses to speak to me because I took a job down here when there were no teaching jobs in my hometown. That guy is an asshole. Don't be like him.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Yeah, I know.

I'm supposed to be bouncing around from thread to thread, proclaiming that I bought tickets or asking them to play ABBA songs at the shows I'm attending. What was I thinking? ;)

Imagine if the did play ABBA! Better for an Australian show.

What's an oldie-but-goodie DC band?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    hmmm

so what you are saying is that you are not from the south?

this might have been mentioned already, but i'm too lazy to read all the posts. In 2006 people got shut out of Grand Rapids. My buddy had to get them from his sister's boss. The company she worked for had season tickets to the arena. So people were getting shut out. As for all the south bashing, people need to realize that not everyone is a shoeless banjo player down here. I grew up in the North East and moved to Atlanta for work, and that is extremely common in our neck of the woods. Alot of you guys sound like my moron former best friend who refuses to speak to me because I took a job down here when there were no teaching jobs in my hometown. That guy is an asshole. Don't be like him.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Imagine if the did play ABBA! Better for an Australian show.

What's an oldie-but-goodie DC band?

Bad Brains.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Fugazi.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Maybe 10C sale has a larger-than-usual allotment of tickets.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506

I have tried, and tried, and tried, and tried to tell people this....

People just refuse to listen. Or read.

Im beginning to think its a conspiracy to make me lose my mind.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    hmmm

so what you are saying is that you are not from the south?

i moved to atlanta two years ago, that last post was pretty convoluted because i'm sick as a dog.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    We need to realize that this isn't the casual fan sale. This is the fan club ticket sale. FAN CLUB. You need to be a die hard fan of a band to join a paid membership of a fan club. And why do you buy? 1st reason people will say as great as Deep Magazine is, is to get tickets. This isn't a lack of a buzz within the music community about Pearl Jam, this is a lack of a buzz within the Pearl Jam community about Pearl Jam.

But I myself am a relatively newcomer to the band and don't know how shows sold in previous tours. Perhaps we are the only ones who overhyped ability to get tickets?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    olderman wrote:
    Ditto. I was only shut out of one show (for which I attempted to get tickets) on the 2006 tour. That was Santa Barbara. And that's a small venue. I still got to go (with another 10c), but it was the only show for which I was unable to buy 10c online.

And I waited until I had time to make the purchases. The shows I attended were all eventually sold out, thanks to the public.

Except for Gorge II. They had some lawn seats available day of the show and it was a Sunday night.

See you all in Florida!!

Wachovia in '05 sold out REALLY quick. I ended up buying a single ticket in the parking lot before the show. Worked out for the best though.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,194
    over_bends wrote:
    This isn't a lack of a buzz within the music community about Pearl Jam, this is a lack of a buzz within the Pearl Jam community about Pearl Jam.

I agree with this one. The decision to purchase tickets was more routine than me being excited about the show. Yeah, I'm not that excited. I will be when I get to the show though, I know that. I wasn't that excited in '06 either until I watched them on Letterman. Then I wanted to go to more shows. :)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22