2009 New England Patriots thread

Comments

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Absolutely no good reason not to punt in that situation.

And the tuck rule was called earlier in that same season Jets vs. Pats.
    #FHP
  • I'm as big a Belichick-hater as the next guy....but I give him credit here. That's a gutsy call and after all, THEY DID GET THE FIRST DOWN.

Talk about having no confidence in your defense though.

Sparano wouldn't shit on his defense like that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I'm as big a Belichick-hater as the next guy....but I give him credit here. That's a gutsy call and after all, THEY DID GET THE FIRST DOWN.

Funny I thought the ball was turned over on downs, you must be refering to a different play. ;)
    #FHP
  • Horos wrote:
    I'm as big a Belichick-hater as the next guy....but I give him credit here. That's a gutsy call and after all, THEY DID GET THE FIRST DOWN.

Funny I thought the ball was turned over on downs, you must be refering to a different play. ;)

Nothing beats seeing the Pats get hosed because they usually get the calls....but had the first by like 2 yards.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Not even close to having it by 2 yards.

I will add they got hosed on the previous Indy TD drive with the pass interference call.
    #FHP
  • Horos wrote:
    Not even close to having it by 2 yards.

Well whatever dude, they had it.

Hey I'm a Dolphins fan so I Ioved it. But they got ripped off.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    They were "redlining" where the 4th down marker was, not where the 1st down would have been. Confused the sportscasters once too.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • When the ball touched faulk it was a 1st down after the bobble he was short.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Exactly, it was the line of scrimage that made it look like they had it.
    #FHP
  • They were "redlining" where the 4th down marker was, not where the 1st down would have been. Confused the sportscasters once too.

Well that's just a poor broadcast. Goes well with their horrible Football Night In America show I guess.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • what a fucking horror show and a horrible way to cap my 38th birthday! The only silver lining is that if there is a rematch, I am confident that we can beat the Colts in Indy. Had Maroney not been a fuck up and scored that touchdown on the one yard line, this wouldn't be an issue. Granted, our defense is suspect, but as is the Colts and I honestly feel our offense is better. Rematch!!!!
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    what a fucking horror show and a horrible way to cap my 38th birthday! The only silver lining is that if there is a rematch, I am confident that we can beat the Colts in Indy. Had Maroney not been a fuck up and scored that touchdown on the one yard line, this wouldn't be an issue. Granted, our defense is suspect, but as is the Colts and I honestly feel our offense is better. Rematch!!!!
    you are right...the colts beat you with an offense featuring a guy named Austin Collie as their number 2 wideout. this is why the pats are good not great. also: see my post in this thread after the ravens game when i said that the pats going 3 and out (in this case 4 and out) with the game on the line just doesn't happen, and that it would come back and bite them in the ass later. Finally when are you going to give up on that stupid 3-6 yard out pattern in key situations? It worked for 12 games in 2007 but Brady they're onto you.
  • RW81233 wrote:
    what a fucking horror show and a horrible way to cap my 38th birthday! The only silver lining is that if there is a rematch, I am confident that we can beat the Colts in Indy. Had Maroney not been a fuck up and scored that touchdown on the one yard line, this wouldn't be an issue. Granted, our defense is suspect, but as is the Colts and I honestly feel our offense is better. Rematch!!!!
    you are right...the colts beat you with an offense featuring a guy named Austin Collie as their number 2 wideout. this is why the pats are good not great. also: see my post in this thread after the ravens game when i said that the pats going 3 and out (in this case 4 and out) with the game on the line just doesn't happen, and that it would come back and bite them in the ass later. Finally when are you going to give up on that stupid 3-6 yard out pattern in key situations? It worked for 12 games in 2007 but Brady they're onto you.
    because of moss, if they played tigh zone coverage down low, moss would go apeshit.. kinda like he did yesterday.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • it was the right call. the chances of the Colts driving down the field with that much time was pretty high. or you can just get two yards, and game over.

because of moronic prevent defenses in this league, its pretty easy to go down the field in the closing minutes. its in the red zone that it becomes hard to score.

the Colts win that game either way.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Another photographer hits the deck..lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KNz2YzAhUM
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    punt

in that situation, you always punt. no if ands or buts. you punt. just punt. all you gotta do. give yourself a chance to win.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    81 wrote:
    punt

in that situation, you always punt. no if ands or buts. you punt. just punt. all you gotta do. give yourself a chance to win.

The Colts 4th Quarter drive chart before the Pats went for it ...

Start Time - Time Poss - Drive Began - # of Plays - Yards Gained - Result
    14:13
    1:59
    IND 21
    TD
    7:44
    0:00
    IND 18
    Int
    4:07
    1:44
    IND 21
    TD

Again, do I prefer they punt, yes, but, look at that ... look at it again ... it's not the most outlandish of calls to go for it and try and win the game right then and there.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    The Champ wrote:
    Another photographer hits the deck..lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KNz2YzAhUM

I hope you're not insinuating that was Belichick or the other guy on the Pat's staff's fault.

It's obvious the cord for that photog was taut and he did it to himself.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    punt

IND 21
    TD
    IND 18
    Int
    IND 21
    TD

Again, do I prefer they punt, yes, but, look at that ... look at it again ... it's not the most outlandish of calls to go for it and try and win the game right then and there.

I see an interception in there..in fact, I think Manning threw two of them in the second half. The Colts punted 7 times, which is 7 times more than they usually punt in a game ;) ....everyone knows Belichick had a major brainfart, including his own players..Tedy Bruschi, the ultimate Patriot, even said so....any other coach not named Belichick would have been fired today..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    jimed14 wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

I hope you're not insinuating that was Belichick or the other guy on the Pat's staff's fault.

It's obvious the cord for that photog was taut and he did it to himself.

I'm not insinuating anything, just thought it was funny...I think the league is investigating the incident..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:
    any other coach not named Belichick would have been fired today..

No other coach would have the balls to do it. I give Belicheck credit for the call. Since it didn't work, it's looks like a bushleague Madden video game call. But if it did work, it would have been game over and a great call.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i should have taken the points. man
    The Champ wrote:
    any other coach not named Belichick would have been fired today..

No other coach would have the balls to do it. I give Belicheck credit for the call. Since it didn't work, it's looks like a bushleague Madden video game call. But if it did work, it would have been game over and a great call.

It was a desperate decision..why not run the ball on 3rd down and 2 if you're going to go for it on 4th down anyway?..I don't think it was planned..they failed on 3rd down and on 4th down....and it still would have been considered a horrible call even if it had worked out....Rodney Harrison said 'it was the worst decision in his coaching career.' Dungy nailed it on the head post-game too....4th and 2 on your own 28 yard line? Video game call for sure..but anyway, the Pats will be fine..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... -down-bid/

thought that was interesting. i know its a bit silly, but the percentages back him up IMO.

the Pats defense just gave up well over 400 yards, much of it in the fourth quarter. no reason to trust your defense stops them at the end either. too much time. i'm almost positive Manning goes down the field and wins that game anyway if Patriots punt.

it was a radical call, and one others wouldn't have the balls to make, but it was the right one.

my only problem was the coaching up to that point. calling the timeout just before might have been a mistake too.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    jimed14 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    punt

IND 21
    TD
    IND 18
    Int
    IND 21
    TD

To me... the biggest surprize... they snapped the ball.
    I figured it was going to be the typical, run of the mill 4th and short towards the end of the game situation with the usual, predictable results. Line-up... hard count to try to draw the defense offside... run out the play clock... delay of game, 5 yards... punt.
    Then, they ran a play... that would have worked had Maroney not bobbled the ball.
    Had the spot been past the first down marker... Belichick would be hailed today as a genius.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    MrSmith wrote:
    http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/16/zeus-computer-program-supports-belichicks-fourth-down-bid/

thought that was interesting. i know its a bit silly, but the percentages back him up IMO.

the Pats defense just gave up well over 400 yards, much of it in the fourth quarter. no reason to trust your defense stops them at the end either. too much time. i'm almost positive Manning goes down the field and wins that game anyway if Patriots punt.

it was a radical call, and one others wouldn't have the balls to make, but it was the right one.

my only problem was the coaching up to that point. calling the timeout just before might have been a mistake too.

Hmm, the percentages? 4th and 2 on your own 28=punt, every single time ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • think of it this way:
    1: the chances of Brady picking up two yards is VERY HIGH.

2: the chances of Manning driving from his own 35 or 40 AREN'T MUCH LESS than scoring from the Pats 30 in the same amount of time. he just did it twice before. its in the red zone that it gets difficult.

Belicheck correctly realized that punting didn't give the Pats as much of a chance to win as going for it.

i hate them anyway, so i lol'd.
    MrSmith wrote:
    think of it this way:

2: the chances of Manning driving from his own 35 or 40 AREN'T MUCH LESS than scoring from the Pats 30 in the same amount of time. he just did it twice before. its in the red zone that it gets difficult.

Belicheck correctly realized that punting didn't give the Pats as much of a chance to win as going for it.

I understand, but I don't think it was a calculated decision at all..if he planned on going for it on 4th down, he would have ran the ball on 3rd down, especially against the weak Colt D, don't you think?...I share the majority thought that the 4th down horrendous call was a panicked and desperate decision made out of fear..he let the human element take over, which is why he is receiving so much flack...It's considered a horrible play by most analyst, coaches and players..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    eh, The Pats will beat the Jets next week and all will be well again.

• edited November 2009
    The Champ wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    think of it this way:

I understand, but I don't think it was a calculated decision at all..if he planned on going for it on 4th down, he would have ran the ball on 3rd down, especially against the weak Colt D, don't you think?...I share the majority thought that the 4th down horrendous call was a panicked and desperate decision made out of fear..he let the human element take over, which is why he is receiving so much flack...It's considered a horrible play by most analyst, coaches and players..
    hmm. i dont thik he was panicked or maybe he just didn't decide to go for it until 4th down. he should have ran it though. i hate it when teams throw on 3rd down when they need 1 or 2 yards anyway. i think they could have made it if they ran.

it doesnt matter anyway. i think the Colts had figured them out.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on