Philly Hotels

TheRiotActTheRiotAct Posts: 131
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Any suggestions for hotels in Philly near the Spectrum, preferably walking distance?
"Close but no sitar." ~ EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjnpapjnpa Posts: 70
    I think the only hotel in walking distance is the Holiday Inn - Philadelphia Stadium at 900 Packer Avenue. It's about a 1/4 mile or so from the Spectrum.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,991
    Just stay somewhere in the city near the bars and restaurants. That Holiday Inn sucks and is wayyy over-rated.
  • DR49650DR49650 Posts: 15
    Sheraton Society Hill....great hotel, right in the middle of Old City.
  • Firenutz6Firenutz6 Posts: 10
    Stay in the city and take the Broad street line (Orange line) down to the stadiums. This is by far the easiest way.
  • Dirt Like MeDirt Like Me Posts: 204
    Walking distance means only the Holiday Inn. Stay downtown.
    Let the ocean swell, dissolve 'way my past
  • greggv19greggv19 Posts: 37
    Holiday inn is the closest but it sucks.

Best bet is to use Hotwire and stay somewhere downtown. Broad street line is the best way to go from there.
  • 7/1/03 ... 9/28/04 ... 5/30/06 ... 6/3/06 ... 6/30/08 ... 8/2/08 (ev solo) ... 10/30/09 ... 10/31/09 ... 5/17/10 ... 5/21/10 ... 3/27/11 (tres mts) ... 6/16/11 (ev solo) ... 10/19/13 ... 8/5/16 ... 8/7/16 ... 9/2/18 ... 9/4/18 ... 9/15/24 ... 9/17/24
  • chrisg72chrisg72 Posts: 112
    Why does the Holiday Inn suck? Is it dirty? I mean it's close and has free parking (the double tree charges $22 for parking).
    9.28.96 - 9.29.96 - 9.1.00 - 6.3.06 - 6.24.08 - 6.25.08 - EV 8.7.08 - 10.30.09 - 5.20.10 - 5.21.10 - 9.11.11
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    the Holiday is not too bad, not the greatest, a little pricey, but not too bad. It's an easy walk to the venue, has a decent restaraunt. I stayed there for the Kings of Leon show in April and I appreciated not having to fight the traffic and being able to drink
  • Holiday Inn is fine. Its not like you are at a resort and need an excellent hotel. The location is prime. You do not have to worry about going anywhere once you arrive there. You can walk to the arena each night. Eat at McFaddens or Chickies and Petes(cab ride about 1.5 miles).
    chrisg72 wrote:
    Why does the Holiday Inn suck? Is it dirty? I mean it's close and has free parking (the double tree charges $22 for parking).

If you plan on spending more than one night here, then it's going to suck. You're far from everything else but the show. If you're here for just the show for one night, then by all means go ahead. And they're rates are usually super high because of their convenience to the sports complex. Just go with pricline.com's name-your-own-price.
  • rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    DR49650 wrote:
    Sheraton Society Hill....great hotel, right in the middle of Old City.

I stayed here the 4th of July weekend. Great hotel!
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • "A compliment for us, is a compliment for you."
    Vancouver '05, Denver I/II '06, Gorge I/II '06, MSG I/II '08, VH1 Rock Honors '08, Seattle I/II '09, Vancouver '11
    EV: Portland '11, Seattle Benaroya I/II '11
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs Posts: 2,412
    SM129402 wrote:
    Stay in the city and take the Broad street line (Orange line) down to the stadiums. This is by far the easiest way.

this guy knows what he is talking about...much more to do in the city .....
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    chrisg72 wrote:

If you plan on spending more than one night here, then it's going to suck. You're far from everything else but the show. If you're here for just the show for one night, then by all means go ahead. And they're rates are usually super high because of their convenience to the sports complex. Just go with pricline.com's name-your-own-price.

totally agree with this opinion. you don't want to stay at the Holiday Inn
  • TheRiotActTheRiotAct Posts: 131
    For me, I guess it depends on whether they do a show on the 31st. Otherwise, I am in on Friday evening, gone on Saturday afternoon.
    "Close but no sitar." ~ EV
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,478
    The Holiday Inn by the airport????

ARE YOU FUCFKING KIDDING ME??????

Its a FUCKING NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!

I was there in 03.....

And Saturday morning I walked outside to have a cigarette and some coffee.....

As I look around at the ghetto I am now staying in.....

There is a lady sitting on a bench right in front of the hotel lobby......I dont think nothing of her....

Until she stood up on the bench.....lifted up her dress.....and urinated on the bench....

Needless to say it kind of ruined my Marlboro/Folgers moment i was enjoying.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    The Holiday Inn by the airport????

ARE YOU FUCFKING KIDDING ME??????

Its a FUCKING NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!

I was there in 03.....

And Saturday morning I walked outside to have a cigarette and some coffee.....

As I look around at the ghetto I am now staying in.....

There is a lady sitting on a bench right in front of the hotel lobby......I dont think nothing of her....

Until she stood up on the bench.....lifted up her dress.....and urinated on the bench....

Needless to say it kind of ruined my Marlboro/Folgers moment i was enjoying.

Not by the airport. By the sports complex.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    book a room at the airport marriott. says its only 4 miles from the spectrum.

now i just have to score some tickets :?
  • SM129402 wrote:

this guy knows what he is talking about...much more to do in the city .....

that is what i am planning to do. i may get a flight and hotel deal thru expedia.

Yeah, but you're about 10 miles from anything BUT the Spectrum - well, unless you're familiar with Essington or Tinicum, which suck. Downtown, downtown, downtown. Cannot stress it enough.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Staying at the Stadium Holiday Inn..I love the convenience of walking over, then simply stumbling back..gonna drive in and do the touristy shit in the afternoon..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • if you go on live nation.com it shows you what hotels are in the area
    there is some nice ones for under $100
    The Champ wrote:
    Staying at the Stadium Holiday Inn..I love the convenience of walking over, then simply stumbling back..gonna drive in and do the touristy shit in the afternoon..

Don't do the touristy shit....well, okay, do it if you want but you've been warned. The shit is just boring. Just go eat and drink in the bars and restaurants. That's how I believe you get to know the city/people.
  • the city of philly is about 5 blocks of nice city then turns quickly into ghetto
    so there is not much to see other then the liberty bell, historical stuff
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

Yeah, but you're about 10 miles from anything BUT the Spectrum - well, unless you're familiar with Essington or Tinicum, which suck. Downtown, downtown, downtown. Cannot stress it enough.

how easy is it to grab cabs? i will only be down there for the night so i don't mind getting around like that. i actually work for marriott and got an insanely cheap rate at that hotel, so i would be foolish to spend more $ to be at a hotel a little closer to downtown.
  • me and my girl went to philly one weekend for cheesesteaks and stayed at the courtyard marriot
    right in the middle of the city, it was great, looks a little pricey but very good. I dont know where the spectrum is from there, i believe we are staying near the airport ( little cheaper) this time
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    The Champ wrote:

Don't do the touristy shit....well, okay, do it if you want but you've been warned. The shit is just boring. Just go eat and drink in the bars and restaurants. That's how I believe you get to know the city/people.

I hear you, but the wife wants to check out the historical sites this time around..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • fellow philadephians
    is the good ole spectrum considered in the city or on the out skirts of the city?
    would it be better to stay at the hotels at the airport or the ones right in the heart of the city?
    coming in friday would like to do a little walking around and some chowing down and fairly close to the venue
    fellow philadephians
    is the good ole spectrum considered in the city or on the out skirts of the city?
    would it be better to stay at the hotels at the airport or the ones right in the heart of the city?
    coming in friday would like to do a little walking around and some chowing down and fairly close to the venue

Better to stay downtown and take the subway to the shows. If anybody wants to know things to do, places, yada, PM me.