Options

Michael Moore proving once again...

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    They are the enemy? They're your enemy? What did they ever do to you? Are they your enemy because your government tells you they are? Or are they your enemy cuz they've done something personal to you?
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    badbrains wrote: »
    They are the enemy? They're your enemy? What did they ever do to you? Are they your enemy because your government tells you they are? Or are they your enemy cuz they've done something personal to you?

who are you asking, a civilian here or a soldier? The answers will vary. One key part is as a soldier, that person wants to kill you. That makes a difference in my mind.

I don't give a shit who you are... Any race, nationality, you fly in from outer space. If I feel my life is threatened, I'm going to do my best to be the one that walks out alive.

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,915
    if you call a sniper a coward then you are basically calling anyone in the armed forces a coward. everyone has a job to do, and a sniper is one of them. it's taking out potential threats to his fellow soldiers.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

the enemy of the american soldier. kill or be killed. I'm pretty sure that's all he meant.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I was asking Scott empty. And not for nothing, but could we agree that it should be allowed by the "enemy" to feel the same way? I mean we are over THERE. I'm not trying to start shit with u or Scott cuz I really do like you guys. I'm just making statements about your posts. Nothing personal
  • Options
    I was asking Scott empty. And not for nothing, but could we agree that it should be allowed by the "enemy" to feel the same way? I mean we are over THERE. I'm not trying to start shit with u or Scott cuz I really do like you guys. I'm just making statements about your posts. Nothing personal

I'm not taking anything personally.

and yes, of course, the "enemy" can and should use any means necessary as well. I don't think anyone is suggesting there are special rules for american/western soldiers.

if canada was being invaded and civilians were being targeted, damn straight I'd be sitting up in a tree with a big fucking gun and picking off anyone tied to the invaders and leaving land mines at the end of my driveway.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I'm not taking anything personal. My last post was trying to tie you and Scott together a little. I don't think Scott was calling anyone his enemy, more they are the enemies of the U.S. Soldiers. Why? Because "they" are out to kill the soldiers. That is the only reason why they're enemies...like it was said "kill or be killed".

We'll agree on this BB - the whole planet is fucked up.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    So a person that shoots another in the back, from his tower, where he can't be touched or seen - is a justifiable and uncowardly action??
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited January 2015
    Good points above BB. Muslims aren't my enemy. Corporations enemy but not mine.

Humans get so caught up on sides. I'm thinking I would enjoy sharing a meal with 999999,9% of humans my country kills.

Just don't ask me to lead the pre meal prayer. :D
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited January 2015

I meant what I said. They are THE enemy. The other side. The side that wants to kill you. I was opposed to the war in Iraq and I am not a soldier. They are the snipers enemy. And don't think for a second that they don't have snipers either.
  • Options
    I call those that stand up to invading force that has drones , jets, precision guided missiles and sharks with freakin laser beams Hero's.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    And the best movies are not only made by independent film makers.
  • Options
    callen wrote: »
    I call those that stand up to invading force that has drones , jets, precision guided missiles and sharks with freakin laser beams Hero's.

Go join them
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Empty glass, put yourself in their shoes. No really. Militarily advanced force attacks your town and you have 1960's era small munitions. And reason fabricated bullshit. Utter fucking bullshit. Do I hate on US soldiers no! But sure as hell can empathize with people we are slaughtering for piece of shit Halliburton and Boeing.
  • Options
    Callen is spot on with his post. We are THERE. We ARE THEIR enemy.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Moore is just angry because if he was in a war he would be the easiest target in the history of sniping.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974
    I'm surprised by the number of conversations I've had with people who have a problem with this movie yet also paid to see it. Opening weekend.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    It looks to be a total bummer of a movie based on the commercials. I shall not be paying $15 to be bummed out for two hours.
  • Options
    callen wrote: »
    Empty glass, put yourself in their shoes. No really. Militarily advanced force attacks your town and you have 1960's era small munitions. And reason fabricated bullshit. Utter fucking bullshit. Do I hate on US soldiers no! But sure as hell can empathize with people we are slaughtering for piece of shit Halliburton and Boeing.

I understand what you're saying. Your first post I replied too read like you also had full support of the people who fly planes into buildings, which is why I replied like I did.

Also, there are a few posts that make it sound like we are killing every Middle Easterner we see. We do have an enemy, the terrorist. I certainly want to have a better arsenal than they have.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,803

Whoa, wait a minute, hold everything. This is it right here. bb's statement here is like a whack to the side of the head. Who the fuck are our enemies? Why do we have snipers picking off people at all... anywhere? Why? No one has attacked us-- yeah ok, 911 but really, we never really narrowed that one down and have probably gone about the business of killing thousands of the wrong people over that. Who is our enemy? Good goddamn fucking good question, bb!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    JimmyV wrote: »
    I actually think it is this tweet that proves what an "asshat" Michael Moore is:

Don't like snipers? Fine. Have problems with the film? Also fine. Just don't pretend you weren't referencing Chris Kyle with your earlier tweets. That may be factually correct but it is intellectually dishonest, and that is why Moore deserves much of the contempt so many of us feel for him. He is no better than Limbaugh.
    JimmyV wrote: »
    I actually think it is this tweet that proves what an "asshat" Michael Moore is:

Don't like snipers? Fine. Have problems with the film? Also fine. Just don't pretend you weren't referencing Chris Kyle with your earlier tweets. That may be factually correct but it is intellectually dishonest, and that is why Moore deserves much of the contempt so many of us feel for him. He is no better than Limbaugh.

Some factual truths about the movie and what actually happened in reality.....read up.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/american-sniper/

Questioning The Story:

Did Chris Kyle really shoot a boy who was concealing a grenade?
    No. In the movie, Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper) shoots a boy and his mother who are approaching a U.S. Marine convoy concealing an RKG-3 Russian Anti-Tank Grenade. In the book, a woman does come out of a small house with her child, but she approaches the convoy by herself as she conceals something beneath her clothes. She sets a Chinese grenade, not a Russian RKG. Kyle hesitates shooting the woman but does take the shot. The grenade drops and he fires again as it's exploding. It was "the only time I killed anyone other than a male combatant," writes Kyle. In the book, he indicates that this is his first kill in Iraq.

In his autobiography, Chris Kyle does scope a child at one point. The moment is also depicted in the movie. The combatants had sent the child down the street to retrieve an RPG (in the movie, a nearby boy simply wanders over and picks up the RPG). "I had a clear view in my scope," writes Kyle, "but I didn't fire. I wasn't going to kill a kid, innocent or not. I'd have to wait until the savage who put him up to it showed himself on the street."

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Some Iraqis actually want us THERE. Canadians are currently serving in Iraq on behalf of the iraqis. Some Canadian snipers were fired upon and engaged "the enemy" just last week. These islamic radicals are "the enemy". They just slaughtered a bunch of kids in Mosul for watching a soccer game. We Canadians are not there for oil or halliburton or imperialism...we are there to help those muslims and christians that don't want to be overrun by fanatics. The group that took responsibility for Hebdo have just today declared Canada a proper target for additional attacks based on our willingness to confront them. They are Iraq's enemy. They are my country's enemy. They are my enemy. They should be your's.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Maybe some things need to be clarified. I never met any soldier, sailor, marine or seaman that loved going to war. The thing we did love was our fellow service members, the majority of us would oDo anything for the, as well as do anything for the innocent civilians. Of course there are the few bad app,es that cause more problems. Someone mentioned Chris Kyle saying that he regretted that he did not kill more. That is a misquote he regretted not killing more people who killed US service members. He had what a lot of people including myself have as survivors remorse. I did not have such a tough job as Me Kyle did but I often Wonder how I survived and other people did not. He was not perched from his tower sniping innocent civilians like a few of you all Have said. I think people need to walk a mile in his shoes before they pass judge,enr. What.was he supposed to do watch his fellow service men die because the shot came from the back? The movie in my eyes did not glorify the war in Iraq it showed what it cost us. Some lost their life, some lost there limbs and some lost a bit of there soul. I think the movie showed that . Just my .02.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Thank you for your service Dirtie_Frank
  • Options
    Maybe some things need to be clarified. I never met any soldier, sailor, marine or seaman that loved going to war. The thing we did love was our fellow service members, the majority of us would oDo anything for the, as well as do anything for the innocent civilians. Of course there are the few bad app,es that cause more problems. Someone mentioned Chris Kyle saying that he regretted that he did not kill more. That is a misquote he regretted not killing more people who killed US service members. He had what a lot of people including myself have as survivors remorse. I did not have such a tough job as Me Kyle did but I often Wonder how I survived and other people did not. He was not perched from his tower sniping innocent civilians like a few of you all Have said. I think people need to walk a mile in his shoes before they pass judge,enr. What.was he supposed to do watch his fellow service men die because the shot came from the back? The movie in my eyes did not glorify the war in Iraq it showed what it cost us. Some lost their life, some lost there limbs and some lost a bit of there soul. I think the movie showed that . Just my .02.

=D>

Well said
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    I have very close family members who have served in various wars going back as far as WWII. I would never say anything to disparage or disrespect those or any other individuals but I still oppose war, especially all of the wars we have been involved in in my life time. There's a difference between being anti-war and anti-people.

That and the fact still remains that this country does far more to romanticize and glorify war than we do to promote, sanctify or celebrate peace. Am I wrong about that? Prove it, please!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2015
    brianlux wrote: »
    I have very close family members who have served in various wars going back as far as WWII. I would never say anything to disparage or disrespect those or any other individuals but I still oppose war, especially all of the wars we have been involved in in my life time. There's a difference between being anti-war and anti-people.

That and the fact still remains that this country does far more to romanticize and glorify war than we do to promote, sanctify or celebrate peace. Am I wrong about that? Prove it, please!

Brian, don't preface the meat of your argument with your family. People piss in our ears sometimes and tell us it's raining. I will just blame that on global warming and their lack of effort to combat that.

You are wrong about your country romanticizing and glorifying war. Your countries movies do that and they do it well.

If anything a person being anti-people would not sanctify or celebrate peace.

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Brian, don't preface the meat of your argument with your family.

You sound like you're teaching a composition class. I never argue with my English teachers. :-)
    You are wrong about your country romanticizing and glorifying war. Your countries movies do that and they do it well.

Oh how I wish I were wrong on that, PJf. But I don't see the proof. :-(
    If anything a person being anti-people would not sanctify or celebrate peace.

Yes, true. What I meant and should have said was, I am against the war, not against the soldiers. I wish they would do something else for a living, but I am not going to berate any individual.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    BS44325 wrote: »
    Thank you for your service Dirtie_Frank
    Must echo this.

I wish my dad and I had had more time to talk of his time serving in WWII, but his love of and loyalty to those with whom (vs against) he was fighting was always made clear. To be in a foxhole with one or two fellow men - all such young men at that - scared and covering each other and on alert and so hungry they'd describe favorite meals in detail to each other.

As I write this, I realize it's not so far-fetched that his life may have been saved by a(n allied) bullet fired at someone else aiming at him...or he may have done the same for another - but never asked nor was told.

Kinda wish I knew.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I personally think we need more snipers over there to take out these classy fuckers...

http://nypost.com/2015/01/19/isis-executes-13-teens-for-watching-soccer/

If you had to make a choice...what would you rather have? A sniper taking out these scumbags before they kill innocent civilians, or just let them roam the streets and kill anyone and everyone they please? Seriously, I'm curious how some of you will answer this.
This discussion has been closed.