Options

Michael Moore proving once again...

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,474
    A Scarberian Con. Can't really be sure what to pity you for more haha.
    [/quote]

lol
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    edited January 2015
    When you give up your free will and kill in the name of country by another man's orders is cowardly. Oh but I am fighting for good!

Snipers or not.

The day America stops romanticizing this bullshit the world will be a better place. "Be all you can be" bullshit.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist wrote: »
    what's the difference between a sniper and a hitman?

the ends are the same. the means are the same.

only thing i can think of is the clothes.
    Guessing different objectives.

Theatre of war and compensation,and weapon of choice.Most bagmen use handguns,most snipers use long rifles.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    what's the difference between a sniper and a hitman?

the ends are the same. the means are the same.

only thing i can think of is the clothes.

The sniper is better trained and is killing legally.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Glorifying a sniper, how am I NOT surprised.
  • Options
    A sniper is no more a coward than the driver of a tank or a jet fighter pilot. He's simply playing a role he has been assigned- his soldierly duties.

Armies don't line up in tight little formations, march towards each other, and face each from 80 yards anymore in the event people didn't know this.

Save your venom for the crusty, white haired gentlemen that send these people to conflicts.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,976
    I'll admit, I'm curious if Moore has an anti-sniper documentary in the pipeline. We have seen him grandstand like this before - most notably against GWB at the Oscars a decade ago - only to later learn it was early publicity for his next movie. Time will tell but color me suspicious.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Moore is a blow hard.He has ruined what could have been a fine legacy of journalistic endeavors by acting like a bloviating asshole.He had some really good stuff on many items(and stupid over the top shit also)but now he is a punchline and his work resume will suffer.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    at least Moore is an AMerican. They should deport that fat ginger Rogan back to Canada.
    http://news.yahoo.com/seth-rogen-compares-american-sniper-nazi-propaganda-221700979.html

Actually Seth, Basterds was nothing but Hollywood PROPOGANDA wrapped in a pretty Brad bow. LMAO
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,805
    Smellyman wrote: »
    When you give up your free will and kill in the name of country by another man's orders is cowardly. Oh but I am fighting for good!

Snipers or not.

The day America stops romanticizing this bullshit the world will be a better place. "Be all you can be" bullshit.

Romanticizing Yes, that's it. Some question my use of the word "glorifying". I still think that sticks, but romanticizing may even a better descriptor. Let's face it, America has had a hard on for war for decades.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    brianlux wrote: »

Snipers or not.

Romanticizing Yes, that's it. Some question my use of the word "glorifying". I still think that sticks, but romanticizing may even a better descriptor. Let's face it, America has had a hard on for war for decades.

America should have just said "fuck it" in the 40's. Maybe we'd all have blonde hair and blue eyes by now.

haben sie einen guten tag
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

Snipers or not.

America should have just said "fuck it" in the 40's. Maybe we'd all have blonde hair and blue eyes by now.

I wasn't referring to WWII but even in that war we were not as squeaky clean as we like to think. There's a lot of history there we are not taught.

I didn't know you were a Germanophobe, Empty Glass.

Auf Wiedersehen

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Good point Empty. But now if the German soldiers knew to tell their leader "no thanks" all be avoided.

It boggles my mind that one would sacrifice their life to protect a flag country whatever. I won't. Living once and keep going as long as I can.

As to snipers being cowards , don't think going into foreign land crawling up into position and pulling the trigger is being a coward. And surely will fuck with them going forward. Is it noble or just?

Enjoyed Moore's films and hope he makes more. He's a patriot.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

Snipers or not.

I wasn't referring to WWII but even in that war we were not as squeaky clean as we like to think. There's a lot of history there we are not taught.

Auf Wiedersehen

We can't just pick which wars we glorify and romanticize about. They're all horrible. I imagine those who glorify war are those who haven't fought.

and Germanophobe?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

Snipers or not.

Auf Wiedersehen

We can't just pick which wars we glorify and romanticize about. They're all horrible. I imagine those who glorify war are those who haven't fought.

and Germanophobe?

I agree, Empty Glass. No war should be glorified.

And sorry if I misunderstood, but the comment about how we all might have become blue eyed and blonde sounded dangerously close to similar comments I've heard about "those slanty eyed bastards". It just rings of prejudice to me. Sorry if I misunderstood.

• Options
    I took it as a reference to Hitler's dream of a race of Aryan supermen, not a shot at the German people.

• Options
    Just because a movie is made about war does not mean it is romanticizing it. Saving private Ryan did not romanticize war. It did a great job showing the horrors of war. This movie, American sniper, is not saying this guy is a hero for killing that many people. It's telling a story. His story. What's the problem with that?
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote: »
    I took it as a reference to Hitler's dream of a race of Aryan supermen, not a shot at the German people.

This. Sorry for the confusion Brian.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Michael Moore's problem is that the film is telling a story he doesn't want to hear.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote: »

This. Sorry for the confusion Brian.

No worries, my bad.

• Options
    You know who's NOT a coward? The soldiers in Libya who REFUSED to follow orders to kill innocent civilians and by doing so, paid with their own lives. That's a REAL man. Not someone hiding in a building shooting at Palestinian kids or Iraqi people.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote: »
    You know who's NOT a coward? The soldiers in Libya who REFUSED to follow orders to kill innocent civilians and by doing so, paid with their own lives. That's a REAL man. Not someone hiding in a building shooting at Palestinian kids or Iraqi people.

You do realize if a civilian is hit by a U.S. Sniper the shooter gets life in prison? Don't make it sound like they're up there popping anything that moves. And there's not a magic button that drops them into their hiding spot. They have to get there
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I think the biggest coward is the Archer. Shooting arrows from a distance. Disgraceful. Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, 300 all glorifying these little pricks. Pick up a sword and fight like a real man!
  • Options
    BS44325 wrote: »
    I think the biggest coward is the Archer. Shooting arrows from a distance. Disgraceful. Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, 300 all glorifying these little pricks. Pick up a sword and fight like a real man!

Are you Jack Handy?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

ha ha!

And of course, the pen mightier than the sword!

• Options

Do you really think American snipers sit in a nest a pick off innocent women and children??
  • Options
    YES I ABSOLUTELY believe they do.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

Do you really think American snipers sit in a nest a pick off innocent women and children??

He does think that. He also thinks that when Hamas executes innocent Palestinians it is justified by the laws of treason.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited January 2015
    rssesq wrote: »
    at least Moore is an AMerican. They should deport that fat ginger Rogan back to Canada.
    http://news.yahoo.com/seth-rogen-compares-american-sniper-nazi-propaganda-221700979.html

Actually Seth, Basterds was nothing but Hollywood PROPOGANDA wrapped in a pretty Brad bow. LMAO

Are you not understanding what he said? As the headline and link state, he was comparing American Sniper to a Nazi propaganda film. You seem to be correcting him by saying IG was propaganda too?
    I watched American Sniper, and SR is not exactly exaggerating.

SPOILERS:

The portrayal of Iraqis is nauseating - not one redeeming character....well, we think there is one, but he turns out to be a 'savage', as they're all called throughout the movie. There are (if I remember correctly), three Iraqi kids shown in the movie....one is a suicide bomber, one is killed with a drill in front of his parents, and one is playing with an RPG. After Kyle takes out the first kid, within minutes, we're watching 9/11 on tv....a subconscious reminder of why we were/are in Iraq (or should I say, why the public went along with the war) ?. There is one - ONE extremely brief scene where a character wonders what they're doing in Iraq....which of course foreshadows his death. Not a single mention of the lies that took the US to war, or any critical mention of government. The film claims (as do all the nationalist fuckrods in comment sections all over facebook) to be a portrait of the toll war takes on soldiers....of what PTSD can do to a person....yet all it showed me was that the guy couldn't let go of a vendetta, and a true female role model should stick by a decision to act on that vendetta regardless of consequence...and be pregnant and mom-like. If the film is about PTSD, why did it completely gloss over and reduce to a post-script the fact that Kyle was killed by someone suffering from it? It leaves the impression that he is a casualty of war, and not a casualty of government mistreatment of their heros/pawns.
    All this without even addressing all the bullshit Chris Kyle spewed in real life....killing carjackers, sniping looters in NOLA, punching Jesse Ventura out....I've read (albeit unsubstantiated) reports that he intentionally shot civilians to inflate his kill count...the guy seems like a real db to me.
    Definitely propaganda. Go to CNN or any huge mainstream news site on fb, look up a post about the movie, and read the comments. puke. God bless America, this is a true hero. If you won't stand behind our troops, stand in front of them. Thank you to all the heros protecting our freedom. freedom. freedom. blah blah....And anyone who dares criticize anything? Holy hell....I saw a Marine Captain on CNN's fb page getting absolutely derided - 100+ replies to his critical comment.....told he must support ISIS, told to go live in Iraq and see how it goes, told he was un-American, told he was a liar and that he probably never served (there were pics of him in uniform on his page), told he was a disgrace to all marines, told to die, shut up, fuck himself, etc etc. A marine captain. And these people are propping up Kyle as the real-life Captain America? wtf is wrong with people?
    Of course, releasing the film right after the French shootings couldn't have worked better for whipping up furious patriotism and stoking islamophobia. One comment said something along the lines of 'couldn't be better timing...military tech, snipers and exploding sand niggers. je suis charlie!'.....that gem was from a Canadian.
    This is the atmosphere this film provokes. Us against them, good vs evil, hero (legend) vs savage.
    As for Moore's comment....I don't know how you call anyone with the balls to voluntarily pick up a gun and go to war a 'coward'....I can think of a million better descriptors...and yes, most would be critical....but whatever, Moore's comments don't mean much to me.
    Just because a movie is made about war does not mean it is romanticizing it. Saving private Ryan did not romanticize war. It did a great job showing the horrors of war. This movie, American sniper, is not saying this guy is a hero for killing that many people. It's telling a story. His story. What's the problem with that?
    Have you seen it? You really don't think it portrays him as a hero? He's called 'the legend' throughout the movie, based mostly on his kill count. And it omits and exaggerates a LOT of 'his story' - see the lies above. It's a typical Langleywood 'based on a true story' movie.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options

ha ha!

And of course, the pen mightier than the sword!
    I was kind of kidding when I wrote this but, NO! Talk about a brave warrior. Check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=645816515486865

This discussion has been closed.