Options

Michael Moore proving once again...

Comments

• Options
    brianlux wrote: »
    Oh please Brian, step off your pedestal. People have said far worse about others here, and I'm not addressing a single poster here.

Way to have respect for a day observed nationally to honor a man to have made a difference in the name of PEACE and rights for everyone. THAT'S what Brian is talking about. He's on no pedestal, you must be merely in need to point a finger somewhere, and you were told how it is.

I have to cop to this one, bsL12, cincy's call was good. It is true that others -probably all of us at one point- have said worse.

That said, I won't renege on anything else I've said here. It is so U.S. of us to glorify someone who sits in a tree (or whatever) and picks off people. I suppose I am guilty of reacting a bit too strongly... maybe... on this issue but six decades of watching the U.S. become more and more a warring nation I just can't stomach the guts 'n gory glory hallefuckinlujah posturing that defines so much of what we have become as a nation. And I am speaking in general terms here. I don't mean to single any one out here. It's the combined overall effect of a bloodthirsty, aggressive murderous position we have take as a whole that I rage against.

As for Michael Moore, yeah it's easy to criticize someone in the lime light and I'm sure he has his faults but he has the guts to speak his mind on issues that so many others back off from. It's a wonder he's still alive. I say, good for him and thanks for the courage to speak out. That is what this is supposed to be all about, right? Courage.

must be nice to perch from your tree while others have your back

And how easy it is to dash of your little one liners and really have nothing of value to say.

You're right. My one liners are in jest and mean nothing.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I saw it and thought it was pretty solid. Whether you were for the war or against the war is irrelevant...this is a movie telling one man's story. To tell a story and/or to enjoy a story does not mean you are celebrating it. Just because I rock out to Jeremy doesn't mean I dig school shootings! Chillax y'all!
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Yeah F'n Chillax...right now.....don't make me take off this respirator mister ~X(
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,945
    Oh please Brian, step off your pedestal. People have said far worse about others here, and I'm not addressing a single poster here.

Way to have respect for a day observed nationally to honor a man to have made a difference in the name of PEACE and rights for everyone. THAT'S what Brian is talking about. He's on no pedestal, you must be merely in need to point a finger somewhere, and you were told how it is.

I have to cop to this one, bsL12, cincy's call was good. It is true that others -probably all of us at one point- have said worse.

That said, I won't renege on anything else I've said here. It is so U.S. of us to glorify someone who sits in a tree (or whatever) and picks off people. I suppose I am guilty of reacting a bit too strongly... maybe... on this issue but six decades of watching the U.S. become more and more a warring nation I just can't stomach the guts 'n gory glory hallefuckinlujah posturing that defines so much of what we have become as a nation. And I am speaking in general terms here. I don't mean to single any one out here. It's the combined overall effect of a bloodthirsty, aggressive murderous position we have take as a whole that I rage against.

As for Michael Moore, yeah it's easy to criticize someone in the lime light and I'm sure he has his faults but he has the guts to speak his mind on issues that so many others back off from. It's a wonder he's still alive. I say, good for him and thanks for the courage to speak out. That is what this is supposed to be all about, right? Courage.

And how easy it is to dash of your little one liners and really have nothing of value to say.

Please sees my PM so we can move past this. Thanks.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    TalonTedd wrote: »
    You nailed it hedonist. heres another.....Bigorny Beaver.

OK, one last little hammer as I don't want to derail...will just say both my husband and I are smitten with her.
  • Options

No no no. Look I think your the man brialux, but you scolded PJ out in the open and now you have to grovel in the open....cmon this place is dead. Give us a good apology. Something like John Clease when he was being dangled out a window in A fish called Wanda.
  • Options
    If it helps at all here is an apology I had to write to justam when I first joined the club.
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/221140/changing-the-pattern#latest
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,492
    Geez, Moore's a goof in my opinion, criticize the war all you want, but don't criticize those who fight it, regardless of their specific role, I say.
    Moore's comment that snipers are cowards was silly, at worst. They are a practical and unavoidable tool used in warfare. The cowards are the politicians in Washington "writing cheques that others' pay".
    I'll add Canada as well.....Harper is such a coward. Apparently he ran off to hide in a closet when that deranged gunman killed that soldier in cold blood then slithered into parliament looking to grease his Prime Wennieness.

Sorry, but as I understand it, Harper wasn't really given a choice by the RCMP, the same as the Secret Service would do with their President (and rightly so, this was hardly White House Down, or whichever movie it was).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options

B, you know that even when we disagree, I think highly of you.

Sure, Moore can speak out - IS free to speak out. So is anyone else to do the same, to think he's a tool more often than not, to consider his "tweet" passive-aggressive with a side of back-pedaling. To consider him brave too.

What's good for the goose is good for that damned gander.

If someone in the limelight (and who isn't nowadays, what with social media?) has the so-called courage to make a statement, they and their supporters best be prepared to handle receiving differing opinions.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    i saw american sniper today. i thought it was a great movie.

that said, i am conflicted.

personally, i think snipers are bullshit. cowardly. unethical. just like drone pilots. these guys hide, and shoot and risk less than the guys on the ground. but i get how snipers are necessary on the battlefield.

snipers are a symptom of the problem, with war being the problem.

i do not feel like we need to be glorifying people who killed 160+ people, including women and children, in an illegal war. but that is one man's opinion.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited January 2015

No no no. Look I think your the man brialux, but you scolded PJ out in the open and now you have to grovel in the open....cmon this place is dead. Give us a good apology. Something like John Clease when he was being dangled out a window in A fish called Wanda.

Both his and my comments add up to pathetically nothing or my name isn't Mr. Grisgmneithscblarchilshism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniUNdVZvH4

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Geez, Moore's a goof in my opinion, criticize the war all you want, but don't criticize those who fight it, regardless of their specific role, I say.
    Moore's comment that snipers are cowards was silly, at worst. They are a practical and unavoidable tool used in warfare. The cowards are the politicians in Washington "writing cheques that others' pay".
    I'll add Canada as well.....Harper is such a coward. Apparently he ran off to hide in a closet when that deranged gunman killed that soldier in cold blood then slithered into parliament looking to grease his Prime Wennieness.

Sorry, but as I understand it, Harper wasn't really given a choice by the RCMP, the same as the Secret Service would do with their President (and rightly so, this was hardly White House Down, or whichever movie it was).
    I heard a different version. I heard that he B-lined to that closet on his own. I'll see what mister Google has to say....wait one.
  • Options
    So...necessary but cowardly, revered pieces of shit?

Would you tell any of them (who've lived) that same thing face to face?

The film, and the book, haven't struck me as anything nearing glorification. More like showing one person's story, side, for better or worse.
  • Options

Both his and my comments add up to pathetically nothing or my name isn't Mr. Grisgmneithscblarchilshism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniUNdVZvH4

=)) that was great thnx
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    what's the difference between a sniper and a hitman?

the ends are the same. the means are the same.

only thing i can think of is the clothes.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    wasn't it the act of clandestinely picking off humans that is the shit Moore was focusing on rather than an individual?

• Options
    Talon, for what it's worth, I guess we can call this Haper's "official" version of events, though it's hardly definitive, lol.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/harper-says-he-reacted-as-trained-by-rcmp-during-hill-shooting

Regardless, I wouldn't want my Prime Minister acting like an action hero in the circumstances that were unfolding.

• Options
    Talon, for what it's worth, I guess we can call this Haper's "official" version of events, though it's hardly definitive, lol.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/harper-says-he-reacted-as-trained-by-rcmp-during-hill-shooting

Regardless, I wouldn't want my Prime Minister acting like an action hero in the circumstances that were unfolding.
    Thanks I have one for you as well. Harpers version eh....look anything like this....http://montrealsimon.blogspot.ca/2014/10/the-day-stephen-harper-was-forced-to.html
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The fact that Harper came out of the closet never seems to get any press?
  • Options
    I would have ok with him takin one for the team. I don't know if your Canadian. Harper is a menace to civil liberties and an all around winnie.
  • Options
    Not quite, lol...however when I googled "Harper closet Parliament shooting" the top articles that popped all reference Harper being "whisked into," "ushered" and "rushed" into the closet, making it clear to me that it wasn't entirely his choice, though it was an entirely appropriate action to take at the time.

That said, back to Michael Moore, I think, lol?

• Options
    I am Canadian. Like Harper. Civil liberties intact.
  • Options
    I would have ok with him takin one for the team. I don't know if your Canadian. Harper is a menace to civil liberties and an all around winnie.

Just down the road from you in Scarberia, lol. Clearly I'm a Conbot, you're not, lol.

• Options
    i saw american sniper today. i thought it was a great movie.

that said, i am conflicted.

personally, i think snipers are bullshit. cowardly. unethical. just like drone pilots. these guys hide, and shoot and risk less than the guys on the ground. but i get how snipers are necessary on the battlefield.

snipers are a symptom of the problem, with war being the problem.

i do not feel like we need to be glorifying people who killed 160+ people, including women and children, in an illegal war. but that is one man's opinion.

Did the movie come off as a glorification?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    BS44325 wrote: »
    I am Canadian. Like Harper. Civil liberties intact.

You like Harper, or you are, like Harper, a Canadian? I'm confused. We'll sort out the civil liberties bit later.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    It's not a glorification but the sniper is unapologetic. That's who he was in real life. To some that comes off as a glorification but again it is the telling of HIS story.
  • Options
    Ha. Oftenreading...that is good. Maybe I should leave that ambiguous.
  • Options
    what's the difference between a sniper and a hitman?

the ends are the same. the means are the same.

only thing i can think of is the clothes.
    Guessing different objectives.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Just down the road from you in Scarberia, lol. Clearly I'm a Conbot, you're not, lol.
    A Scarberian Con. Can't really be sure what to pity you for more haha.
  • Options
    And if anyone missed Empty's earlier post, might be worth reading - and given consideration.
This discussion has been closed.