Options

Michael Moore proving once again...

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    edited January 2015
    And don't forget BS, I also think you're full of SHIT. It's so fitting your screen name is BS
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    brianlux wrote: »
    BS44325 wrote: »
    I think the biggest coward is the Archer. Shooting arrows from a distance. Disgraceful. Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, 300 all glorifying these little pricks. Pick up a sword and fight like a real man!

ha ha!

And of course, the pen mightier than the sword!
    I was kind of kidding when I wrote this but, NO! Talk about a brave warrior. Check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=645816515486865

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    badbrains wrote: »
    And don't forget BS, I also think you're full of SHIT. It's so fitting your screen name is BS

Intelligent
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I'm blown away by how many people DONT KNOW and DONT SEE what's going on in the world. How is it so hard for you to not see? Fucken blows my mind away. Unless you people (you know who you are) really DONT give a fuck and are actually OK with what's happening ALL over the world. Amazing how you just don't want to open your eyes. No matter WHAT. Unreal. This fucken place is such a fucken cancer for me sometimes, I wonder why I even bother. Open your fucken eyes. Worlds dying while you remain sleeping.......
  • Options
    I'm blown away by how many people DONT KNOW and DONT SEE what's going on in the world. How is it so hard for you to not see? Fucken blows my mind away. Unless you people (you know who you are) really DONT give a fuck and are actually OK with what's happening ALL over the world. Amazing how you just don't want to open your eyes. No matter WHAT. Unreal. This fucken place is such a fucken cancer for me sometimes, I wonder why I even bother. Open your fucken eyes. Worlds dying while you remain sleeping.......

I know this sounds empty and trite, bb, but don't give up. Check out Terry Tempest Williams in the video I posted. That is strength and courage! Listen to the voices of reason that the mass media ignores. They are many. Wisdom. Don't let the bullshit get to you.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

So because I don't think Americans are over there picking kids off I don't know what's going on in the world? C'mon BB..,
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

So because I don't think Americans are over there picking kids off I don't know what's going on in the world? C'mon BB..,

I don't think that's the main point bb is making, Empty Glass. The bigger picture is what we will derive from the macho posturing of the American War Machine. Where will that get us? Look what it did form Rome, for Greece. We're next.

• Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835

I don't think that's the main point bb is making, Empty Glass. The bigger picture is what we will derive from the macho posturing of the American War Machine. Where will that get us? Look what it did form Rome, for Greece. We're next.
    America is in no imminent danger whatsoever of being defeated by a foreign military force. The only real danger America faces from outsiders would be , nuclear in nature; and that would end the world. America and Canada (by proxy) are virtually untouchable. America will either implode from within due to the myriad of political, economic and social injustices separating the classes or we all go down from global warming and climate change.

This world is accelerating in runaway breakdown. As much as would like blame some other reason; It is because of the so called leadership of American society and most acutely, capitalism, Washington, racism and unrestricted greed.

The might of America could have been used very differently. Big money and greedy men hiding and conspiring in dark places have control. Damn, two presidents (Eisenhower and Kennedy) fricken spelled it out for all, in plain English.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    rssesq wrote: »
    at least Moore is an AMerican. They should deport that fat ginger Rogan back to Canada.
    http://news.yahoo.com/seth-rogen-compares-american-sniper-nazi-propaganda-221700979.html

Actually Seth, Basterds was nothing but Hollywood PROPOGANDA wrapped in a pretty Brad bow. LMAO

Are you not understanding what he said? As the headline and link state, he was comparing American Sniper to a Nazi propaganda film. You seem to be correcting him by saying IG was propaganda too?
    I watched American Sniper, and SR is not exactly exaggerating.

SPOILERS:

The portrayal of Iraqis is nauseating - not one redeeming character....well, we think there is one, but he turns out to be a 'savage', as they're all called throughout the movie. There are (if I remember correctly), three Iraqi kids shown in the movie....one is a suicide bomber, one is killed with a drill in front of his parents, and one is playing with an RPG. After Kyle takes out the first kid, within minutes, we're watching 9/11 on tv....a subconscious reminder of why we were/are in Iraq (or should I say, why the public went along with the war) ?. There is one - ONE extremely brief scene where a character wonders what they're doing in Iraq....which of course foreshadows his death. Not a single mention of the lies that took the US to war, or any critical mention of government. The film claims (as do all the nationalist fuckrods in comment sections all over facebook) to be a portrait of the toll war takes on soldiers....of what PTSD can do to a person....yet all it showed me was that the guy couldn't let go of a vendetta, and a true female role model should stick by a decision to act on that vendetta regardless of consequence...and be pregnant and mom-like. If the film is about PTSD, why did it completely gloss over and reduce to a post-script the fact that Kyle was killed by someone suffering from it? It leaves the impression that he is a casualty of war, and not a casualty of government mistreatment of their heros/pawns.
    All this without even addressing all the bullshit Chris Kyle spewed in real life....killing carjackers, sniping looters in NOLA, punching Jesse Ventura out....I've read (albeit unsubstantiated) reports that he intentionally shot civilians to inflate his kill count...the guy seems like a real db to me.
    Definitely propaganda. Go to CNN or any huge mainstream news site on fb, look up a post about the movie, and read the comments. puke. God bless America, this is a true hero. If you won't stand behind our troops, stand in front of them. Thank you to all the heros protecting our freedom. freedom. freedom. blah blah....And anyone who dares criticize anything? Holy hell....I saw a Marine Captain on CNN's fb page getting absolutely derided - 100+ replies to his critical comment.....told he must support ISIS, told to go live in Iraq and see how it goes, told he was un-American, told he was a liar and that he probably never served (there were pics of him in uniform on his page), told he was a disgrace to all marines, told to die, shut up, fuck himself, etc etc. A marine captain. And these people are propping up Kyle as the real-life Captain America? wtf is wrong with people?
    Of course, releasing the film right after the French shootings couldn't have worked better for whipping up furious patriotism and stoking islamophobia. One comment said something along the lines of 'couldn't be better timing...military tech, snipers and exploding sand niggers. je suis charlie!'.....that gem was from a Canadian.
    This is the atmosphere this film provokes. Us against them, good vs evil, hero (legend) vs savage.
    As for Moore's comment....I don't know how you call anyone with the balls to voluntarily pick up a gun and go to war a 'coward'....I can think of a million better descriptors...and yes, most would be critical....but whatever, Moore's comments don't mean much to me.
    Just because a movie is made about war does not mean it is romanticizing it. Saving private Ryan did not romanticize war. It did a great job showing the horrors of war. This movie, American sniper, is not saying this guy is a hero for killing that many people. It's telling a story. His story. What's the problem with that?
    Have you seen it? You really don't think it portrays him as a hero? He's called 'the legend' throughout the movie, based mostly on his kill count. And it omits and exaggerates a LOT of 'his story' - see the lies above. It's a typical Langleywood 'based on a true story' movie.

Yes, I watched it. And what I said was I don't think they portray him as a hero for killing people. He is portrayed as a hero for his willingness to go back so many times. That's what I got out of it.

Let's not forget, it's a movie. The writers and directors can depict Iraqis in whatever fashion they choose. So what? It's hollywood.
  • Options

What are you talking about? What are we not seeing?
  • Options
    TalonTedd wrote: »

America is in no imminent danger whatsoever of being defeated by a foreign military force. The only real danger America faces from outsiders would be , nuclear in nature; and that would end the world. America and Canada (by proxy) are virtually untouchable. America will either implode from within due to the myriad of political, economic and social injustices separating the classes or we all go down from global warming and climate change.

This world is accelerating in runaway breakdown. As much as would like blame some other reason; It is because of the so called leadership of American society and most acutely, capitalism, Washington, racism and unrestricted greed.

The might of America could have been used very differently. Big money and greedy men hiding and conspiring in dark places have control. Damn, two presidents (Eisenhower and Kennedy) fricken spelled it out for all, in plain English.

I agree, TalonTed. Interestingly enough, we are echoing the words of Nikita Khrushchev from 1959: "America will destroy itself from within". That sentiment may very well be extended to much of the world today.

All the more reason we need more good warriors armed with ideas and pens, a growth spurt of awareness, stronger environmental and social movements and some good leaders. Of course we could all just just fuck off and die and I may be a bit naive in my idealism but I'm still sticking with the former, not the latter.

I need to learn more about Eisenhower. I was only a kid back then. His name keeps popping up lately.

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited January 2015
    [quote="Last-12-Exit"]Yes, I watched it. And what I said was I don't think they portray him as a hero for killing people. He is portrayed as a hero for his willingness to go back so many times. That's what I got out of it.

Let's not forget, it's a movie. The writers and directors can depict Iraqis in whatever fashion they choose. So what? It's hollywood. [/quote]
    He is definitely portrayed as a hero for killing people. I already said why I think so....he is admired by all of his fellow soldiers (in the movie, not real life), and called a legend because of his kill count. He says things like 'I only regret not having killed more', and is celebrated throughout the entire film as a killing machine. And again - I never saw a 'willingness' to go back - I saw a guy who wanted vengeance and to kill more people....the butcher, the 'evil' sniper....
    The problem with Hollywood depicting Iraqis however they want was mentioned in my previous post....coupled with Kyle's portrayal as a legend and hero, it fosters an atmosphere of us vs them, and dehumanizes Iraqis....I would be willing to bet that this movie cranks up recruitment and has many a young impressionable person wanting to be just like him....it also makes the public much more sympathetic to the 'war effort' when the portrayal of the enemy is so damning.
    Again, this falls in line with the CH shootings, and the moral responsibility of artists. People are free to produce whatever trash they want....but any real artist is conscious of what their art will inspire. And if it inspires the public psyche to be more nationalist, more islamophobic, less sympathetic to the REAL victims of war.....well, I don't have much respect for anyone involved. I would love to see a movie that showed the story of a normal Iraqi family and what they went thru (and are probably still going thru) to survive the war. I know I know....let the Iraqis make that film. It would be a flop etc etc....that tells me even more about our collective outlook on life.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,066
    I would love to see a movie that showed the story of a normal Iraqi family and what they went thru (and are probably still going thru) to survive the war. I know I know....let the Iraqis make that film. It would be a flop etc etc....that tells me even more about our collective outlook on life.

I think a film like this would be a blockbuster, personally.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    I agree, TalonTed. Interestingly enough, we are echoing the words of Nikita Khrushchev from 1959: "America will destroy itself from within". That sentiment may very well be extended to much of the world today.

All the more reason we need more good warriors armed with ideas and pens, a growth spurt of awareness, stronger environmental and social movements and some good leaders. Of course we could all just just fuck off and die and I may be a bit naive in my idealism but I'm still sticking with the former, not the latter.

I need to learn more about Eisenhower. I was only a kid back then. His name keeps popping up lately.

I agree, we need to take back the power from Elitist fucks that rule the day!
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    I see your point, I just don't agree. I thought it was an excellent movie. Not because I'm pro-war (which I'm not) but because it was well written, produced, and directed. Bradley cooper played the role very well.

Why cause an uproar over this movie? There have been hundreds of movies made that depicts war, snipers, and dehumanizing the enemy. Why watch the movie if you are anti snipers?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,436
    I'm just sick of the war movies period , enough with the poms poms rah rah America is number 1 we can destroy any nation movies please stop enough is enough ........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I see your point, I just don't agree. I thought it was an excellent movie. Not because I'm pro-war (which I'm not) but because it was well written, produced, and directed. Bradley cooper played the role very well.

Why cause an uproar over this movie? There have been hundreds of movies made that depicts war, snipers, and dehumanizing the enemy. Why watch the movie if you are anti snipers?
    Lots of reasons to see it....escapism. To see what the unwashed masses are being spoonfed this month....Train wreck syndrome ;) I thought the action sequences were really well done. The character development was flat and boring. It's funny...I can be a bit of an anti-violence crusader...but I love action films, war films, horror films (not gore/shock crap)....anything suspenseful. Hell, just last night I was talking about the contradiction between being against the death penalty and vigilantism and my guilty pleasure love for the song "Goodbye Earl".
    I'm not causing an uproar...I'm making a lot of the same comments I made after Lone Survivor, and the Hurt Locker, Blackhawk Down, and all the other langleywood movies released in the last decade or so....
    Do you guys remember when Karl Rove met with all the major Hollywood execs just a couple months after 9/11 and asked them to help promote the war on terror?
    http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2001/11/holl-n19.html

• Options
    edited January 2015
    paulonious wrote: »
    I would love to see a movie that showed the story of a normal Iraqi family and what they went thru (and are probably still going thru) to survive the war. I know I know....let the Iraqis make that film. It would be a flop etc etc....that tells me even more about our collective outlook on life.

Maybe you're right. They could get a bunch of white people to play the family. Give them british accents (cause all foreigners in movies have british accents). Make some slightly critical comments about the US military and have Fox news try to ban it, giving it a ton of free publicity....maybe everyone involved would make it out alive.
    I have to wonder tho....would any studio make that movie? Highly doubt it.
  • Options
    I'm just sick of the war movies period , enough with the poms poms rah rah America is number 1 we can destroy any nation movies please stop enough is enough ........
    I think that is an odd sentiment. I'm sick of country music, can they stop making it?
  • Options
    paulonious wrote: »

Maybe you're right. They could get a bunch of white people to play the family. Give them british accents (cause all foreigners in movies have british accents). Make some slightly critical comments about the US military and have Fox news try to ban it, giving it a ton of free publicity....maybe everyone involved would make it out alive.
    I have to wonder tho....would any studio make that movie? Highly doubt it.

no, I think if it was done correctly and as truthfully as possible, not necessarily making it anti-american government or soldier but just sympathetic to the Iraqi family and their plight, there are enough people in the US, and even more around the globe, that KNOW going to Iraq was a massive mistake, that it would make an incredible story. But you're right, not many studios would risk making a movie like that at this point in time.

I think it's a story that will be told, and also needs to be.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Also don't watch war movies and get tired of our USA USA propaganda machine. Have not seen this flick and likely won't.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I think that is an odd sentiment. I'm sick of country music, can they stop making it?

I see what you are saying, but what I get from Jose's comment is that hollywood seems to be capitalizing a little too much (even for hollywood) on the current events. it's war movie after war movie, and everyone eats them up. best pic after best pic. I guess it makes for compelling viewing, and hollywood never shows the gruesome nature of the aftermath of the real victims, just the heroics of the soldier of the day.

sometimes I wonder if it's all propaganda to help swell the registration of the armed forces....

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Smellyman wrote: »
    When you give up your free will and kill in the name of country by another man's orders is cowardly. Oh but I am fighting for good!

Snipers or not.

The day America stops romanticizing this bullshit the world will be a better place. "Be all you can be" bullshit.

Romanticizing Yes, that's it. Some question my use of the word "glorifying". I still think that sticks, but romanticizing may even a better descriptor. Let's face it, America has had a hard on for war for decades.

More like, America has a hard on for violence and guns for decades. And it's only getting worse.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2015
    You know who's NOT a coward? The soldiers in Libya who REFUSED to follow orders to kill innocent civilians and by doing so, paid with their own lives. That's a REAL man. Not someone hiding in a building shooting at Palestinian kids or Iraqi people.

Do you really think American snipers sit in a nest a pick off innocent women and children??

To kill someone from behind… in the back…sneakily... that is considered cowardly, yes.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    You know who's NOT a coward? The soldiers in Libya who REFUSED to follow orders to kill innocent civilians and by doing so, paid with their own lives. That's a REAL man. Not someone hiding in a building shooting at Palestinian kids or Iraqi people.

Do you really think American snipers sit in a nest a pick off innocent women and children??

To kill someone from behind… in the back…sneakily... that is somewhat cowardly, yes.

Hopefully the memo goes out that says - "Don't kill the guy that's about to kill your fellow soldiers". That will solve it.

Anyone that volunteers for service isn't a coward. I'm sorry the world isn't the utopia that everyone wants. War started when we had our first handful of humans. The U.S. didn't invent it. Sucks we (the U.S.) get called in to try and fix every situation. The utopia isn't going to happen, humans are animals.

I'd hate to be the guy on his 8th tour somewhere because he volunteered for something. I'm sure he's not glorifying anything, but we have people typing into their computers calling them cowards.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,436
    edited January 2015

ok phrased it wrong you get my point though , sick of pom pom war movies the world gets it we are numero 1 the strongest mightiest , i respect all soldiers from every branch of armed forces .....Like someone else said where are the movies about what's left behind all the misery , the children left behind with no parents or families ....where is that movie !!
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

To kill someone from behind… in the back…sneakily... that is considered cowardly, yes.

Again, I disagree with you. They are the enemy. I don't care if they are killed in the back or the front. It doesn't matter if you are against war or not. I don't think America had any business in iraq. But we were there and snipers played a huge part in saving American lives. There's nothing cowardly about that.

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited January 2015
    ok phrased it wrong you get my point though , sick of pom pom war movies the world gets it we are numero 1 the strongest mightiest , i respect all soldiers from every branch of armed forces .....Like someone else said where are the movies about what's left behind all the misery , the children left behind with no parents or families ....where is that movie !!

Hollywood makes limited types of movies: "action packed" flicks (including war movies), sequels, romantic comedies, dumb as shit comedies, "based on real life story" movies, "the book was better" movies, and the ever popular "remake" movies of movies that have been redone multiple times. Doesn't anyone ever wonder why intelligent movies are only made by independent filmmakers?

Not saying that this sniper movie is bad. But Hollywood is very good at staying dumb and simple. Simple movies for the simple status quo people to spend their money on.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
This discussion has been closed.