Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited April 2018
    Pate is glorious

As are oysters
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Pate is glorious

As are oysters
    As is foie gras
    Huitlacoche
    head cheese

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Pate is glorious

As are oysters
    As is foie gras
    Huitlacoche
    head cheese

I am not the biggest foie gras guy and will take bone marrow over it 10 out of 10 times, but I do like it.

Head cheese...hell yeah.

What in the absolute f is Huitlacoche?!?!  Holy crap, I do not know about that.  Google image search looks like a corn on the cob with a venereal disease
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited April 2018
    rgambs said:
    It's always entertaining to me that modern rich folk eat as "delicacy" what was considered last resort food or even offal for tens of thousands of years.
    Indeed. Right up there with foie gras, pate, & haggis.
    Foie gras was never considered a last resort. Ancient Egyptians realized how fantastic it is as soon as they happened to have some fat geese on their hands, and immediately went out of their way to make it happen some more.  And thank goodnees, foie gras is amazing! So is pate.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    It's always entertaining to me that modern rich folk eat as "delicacy" what was considered last resort food or even offal for tens of thousands of years.
    Foie gras was never considered a last resort. Ancient Egyptians realized how fantastic it is as soon as they happened to have some fat geese on their hands, and immediately went out of their way to make it happen some more.  And thank goodnees, foie gras is amazing! So is pate.

It is technically offal, though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Pate is glorious

As are oysters
    As is foie gras
    Huitlacoche
    head cheese

I am not the biggest foie gras guy and will take bone marrow over it 10 out of 10 times, but I do like it.

Head cheese...hell yeah.

What in the absolute f is Huitlacoche?!?!  Holy crap, I do not know about that.  Google image search looks like a corn on the cob with a venereal disease
    Corn smut
    Get it on a quesadilla sometime.  Holy shit, it is amazing.
  • Options
    Natto is also something I love, for any Japanese food fans.  Took a few times with our chef feeding it to me for the taste to really kick in.  Probably the think I eat that grosses people out the most.
    (Also, ankimo, or monk fish liver.  Looove this.)
  • Options
    F ME, are there any foods you don't like?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Well, so is muscle, so that doesn't really mean anything.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Well, some definitions of offal also includes muscle, which is meat, haha, so I'm not sure that means much! ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    dOUBLE POST
  • Options
    F ME, are there any foods you don't like?
    That is a good question, Dyer.

Mmmm.  More about things that I am not crazy about vs. things I will not eat.

Not crazy about broccoli and cauliflower, although I eat them both.
    Not a huge fruit guy, much more into vegetables, but I will eat most fruit.

Raw kale is something that I hate eating.  I am down with it baked/broiled though.

Pasta that is not done correctly is something that I hate.  Pork cooked to white is something I do not like.  Any beef past medium rare.  But those are really just errors in prep, to me.

Tough to come up with stuff that I really don't like.  Will let you know the next time something occurs to me.

• Options
    Mushrooms are the devil's food.  Truffle I love though.

Agreed on raw kale.
  • Options
    I love mushrooms -- I have a very basic recipe using sliced up blend (Baby, Oyster, Shittake, etc), some butter, and some low sodium soy.  My wife hates it when I make it.  I put them over a salad for the next 2-3 days and it is spectacular.  Makes eating a salad something I enjoy doing.
  • Options
    I love mushrooms -- I have a very basic recipe using sliced up blend (Baby, Oyster, Shittake, etc), some butter, and some low sodium soy.  My wife hates it when I make it.  I put them over a salad for the next 2-3 days and it is spectacular.  Makes eating a salad something I enjoy doing.
    Can't do it. The wife loves them.  Truly dislike the smell, taste and texture.

That said, I eat them when I am out and they are part of a tasting menu or something.  Also, if there is a dish that looks absolutely delicious but has mushrooms, I will still order it.  Big change from a while back.
  • Options

That said, I eat them when I am out and they are part of a tasting menu or something.  Also, if there is a dish that looks absolutely delicious but has mushrooms, I will still order it.  Big change from a while back.
    The smell and texture rule them out for my wife as well.  She lights incense when I cook them
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Mushrooms are the devil's food.  Truffle I love though.

Agreed on raw kale.
    I am not a fan of truffle OR kale.

Anyone catch last night's Billions?  There was a restaurant scene where the waiter said "say when" while shaving truffles over the woman's pasta.  When done, he said he'd never seen anyone get $20K's worth of them.

Jesus!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I'm with you there.
    I don't understand the allure of tasting basement smell on purpose lol
    I'm fine with cooked mushroom dishes if they are cheap-ass bland mushrooms.  Otherwise, no, fungus is not on my menu.  No raw ones for sure, but I wouldn't refuse a dish for anything but weird-ass rotten foods.
    I live in the land of Morels, and they aren't too bad, but that's mostly because you fry them in butter and salt them up.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Interesting train of thought emerging in this thread, foods that foodies won't eat.
    I generally eat anything even if I don't prefer it.  I don'tt do organ dishes anymore, I would only eat organ if in a hypothetical dinner party (thats not aathing in my world lol) if I thought the host would be offended or hurt.  Marrow and liver are the worst.
    I was ok with organ dishes before I worked in surgery, but the organs taste like blood and I can't do that anymore.  There were a handful of times that there was so much blood in the OR that you could literally taste the iron from inhaling the overwhelming stench. 
    Organs taste like panic and death now, but that's fine because I only tolerated them, never preferred.
  • Options
    I'll eat anything that doesn't trigger my gag reflex.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'll eat anything that doesn't trigger my gag reflex.
    But what are your triggers?  I would need some wacky Fear Factor stuff to hit my trigger.
  • Options
    On the pedestrian but so delicious side of food, remember when you'd crack open a bag of Lay's BBQ chips, and come across the few glorious rogues who snagged an extra dusting of seasoning?

Same with Doritos.  And Cheetos.

Now, it's all evenly distributed.

Bastards!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Happy taco Tuesday!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    On the pedestrian but so delicious side of food, remember when you'd crack open a bag of Lay's BBQ chips, and come across the few glorious rogues who snagged an extra dusting of seasoning?

Same with Doritos.  And Cheetos.

Now, it's all evenly distributed.

Bastards!
    Ahh yes, the extra dusty chips! Now that you mention it, I actually can't think of the last time I got a smothered chip. I think you're right.

And speaking of Doritos. What's funny about them is I don't really like them, but if I start eating them I can't freakin stop.  I do like some of the Jacked flavors but I hate the chips themselves. Whose idea was it to make a single chip the size of a Samsung Galaxy Note??

On the chip front, Grandma Utz is one of my absolute favorites. Dip those fuckers in some Heluva Good bacon horseradish dip and oh my.  I'll finish the bag & tub in one sitting.  Any kettle style chip is great in my book.  Some other greats are Utz Crab Chip, Red Hot, & Carolina Style; Lay's All Dressed; Snyder's Salt & Vinegar & Sweet 'n' Sassy BBQ; Miss Vickies' Jalapeno; Dirty's Maui Onion, Jalapeno Heat, & Funky Fusion.  My favorite plain potato chip of all time comes from one of my home states.  Mister Bee original flavor out of Parkersburg, WV.
  • Options
    I'm a sucker for horseradish dip.  With prime rib?  A beef dip sandwich?  Oh my.

And I looked up those chips.  Damn!  Miss V's jalapeno is quite fine as well.

DK, I love a good crunchy (yet simple) taco - and yet, there's something about the Jack in the Box ones I'll always love.  Haven't even had one in 25 years, but just the thought whets my whistle.
  • Options
    Hedo, it’s the E. coli. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JIB = grease.  If you like a greasy taco ( ;) )
    Jack in the Crack is the way to go.
  • Options
    Mmmm, E. coli.

Man, I wish I could still chow down on the stuff I used to.  Perhaps no longer eating fried or greasy foods isn't a bad thing...
  • Options
    Pink in the middle.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Sick fucks!

(why I love ya both =) )