Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    No, Dyer, no!  I haven't had a corn dog in years (with mustard only!), but the pickle thing...nyet for me!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    hedonist said:
    No, Dyer, no!  I haven't had a corn dog in years (with mustard only!), but the pickle thing...nyet for me!
    Yeah, that pickle-hot dog thing looks gross. But I love deep fried pickles!! So good!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I wish fried food still appealed to me.  Maybe one bite and then I'm done.

But a nice crunchy deli pickle?  Mmmm.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    Yeah, that pickle-hot dog thing looks gross. But I love deep fried pickles!! So good!
    Deep fried pickles kick ass! The first time I found out these were a thing was at some food/music festival. I thought they had to be disgusting. Then I got fairly drunk and proceded to eat a couple baskets of them. Hooked me for life!

It's a food that if I see it on a menu I will generally order. They can be hit or miss though. Got to be made from a decent pickle like Klaussen's brand. Once got some made from shitty, cheap pickles. The ones that are neon green colored. No good.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hooters has good frickles. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I never referred to them as frickles before but I do like.  Light breading, please.

I used to think anything was better fried and then I went to a place on the boardwalk at the shore where they fry anything you bring them.  I just asked for Reese's fried. 
    It was fucking disgusting.
    One bite and I wanted to barf.  Threw the rest out.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Are fried pickles soggy inside?

I've never had fried green tomatoes but imagine they lend themselves better to that cooking process.

Reese's fried - another nope!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:
    Are fried pickles soggy inside?

I've never had fried green tomatoes but imagine they lend themselves better to that cooking process.

Reese's fried - another nope!
    Yes, half the time they are a soggy, greasy, disgusting mess.
    The other half they are delicious and crunchy good.  The key is to slice whole pickles and not just try to get jarred pickle chips.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Ok American and International chefs, what's your plan for Easter? 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    kce8 said:
    Romero movie marathon. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    kce8 said:
    Romero movie marathon. 
    :rock_on:
  • Options
    Rick Steves has a special on PBS, I think, about how different cultures and countries celebrate Easter.  I don't observe it myself but find the customs (and food!) fascinating.

Rick rocks, anyway.
  • Options
    I never referred to them as frickles before but I do like.  Light breading, please.

I used to think anything was better fried and then I went to a place on the boardwalk at the shore where they fry anything you bring them.  I just asked for Reese's fried. 
    It was fucking disgusting.
    One bite and I wanted to barf.  Threw the rest out.
    Not a fan of deep fried candy bars either.  Very gross.

I live 2 blocks from the Minnesota State Fairgounds.  The MN State Fair is world renown as a place where if it is possible to deep fry something, it's been tried and done.  I've tasted lots of things that should never be deep fried, and some that are pretty great.  On the great side is jumbo green olives stuffed with cream cheese, breaded and fried.  Another is a fried scotched egg (hard-boiled egg, wrapped in breakfast sausage, breaded and friend) with honey mustard.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Fried chicken is one of life's great pleasures.  Our southern brethren know what's up.
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    I am pretty excited for Sunday. With the wife's family it will be gravy, meatballs, sausage, pork and braciole. Also a ham and some pasta, potato salad, etc..  It is all delicious.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited March 2018
    Kielbasa, kraut, pierogis, skrimps,butternut squash, some other stuff.  Not my choice but I will play the role of good host

Re-birth Day is not my favorite holiday but pretending there is a magical rabbit is something the three year old loves and my wife's family all believes in a magical man....so it is all good.

Fried chicken, done well, is indeed one of lifes great gifts.
    I would say 25% of the fried chicken I have eaten has fit the 'amazing' category.  
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,472
    The traditional turkey, stuffing, turnip, mashed potatoes, ham and all kinds of other stuff. But my favourite part is the baked cheese cake, my niece makes the best cheery cheesecake. I could eat the entire thing in one sitting myself. But I think that maybe rude or wrong of me too do that. Last year she made me one all for myself so I could take it home :) she is scoring big brownie points if she does that again :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    I don't know what's on the menu at grannies but she usually busts some Hungarian style cabbage rolls out of the freezer and I usually eat 4 of them with the attendant kraut and kielbasa.
  • Options
    Kielbasa, kraut, pierogis, skrimps,butternut squash, some other stuff.  Not my choice but I will play the role of good host

Re-birth Day is not my favorite holiday but pretending there is a magical rabbit is something the three year old loves and my wife's family all believes in a magical man....so it is all good.

Fried chicken, done well, is indeed one of lifes great gifts.
    I would say 25% of the fried chicken I have eaten has fit the 'amazing' category.  
    You ever get to any of the Kielbasa spots in Port Richmond.  Some good stuff there from what I understand.   Swiacki Meats is the one I have been meaning to pick stuff up from.
  • Options
    I actually looked at that place and considered but am going to go tomorrow to a place over here in Runnemede.
    That swiaki meats did look good, though!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    That's where my grandmom (RIP) would pick up pierogies once my grandfather's mom passed away - full-blooded Ukie off the boat from Odessa - made everything from scratch: Pierogies, Golumpkis...would bring home live carp and beat it over the head in the tub to get the freshest fish. Weird stuff.

That place, and I can't remember the name of the bakery up there, but it has the best fucking Jewish Rye bread.
  • Options
    In preparation for a weekend of ham and potatoes, I went and knocked down a bucket sized bowl of pho with a side of shredded pork belly tonight.
  • Options
    I'm about to make some pralines like Rum balls etc. and I thought I could create some new ones and just use Whiskey instead of rum. I'm not sure if it makes any sense in terms of taste, but we'll see ...

• Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Yesterday I had pickled herring. Tonight I'm throwing a dinner, and it will be puff pastry units with spinach and blue cheese and a tomato salad for starters, then a lamb casserole, then choccolate pudding for dessert. And sweets in an easter egg. To go with it, apple cider, found a new French one that is delicious, not to sweet.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    We went to the Polish American Deli this am - already a line 30 mins prior to open.
    Got three types of homemade kielbasa and 2 types of perogies.
    Shit looks pretty good.

The lady who helped us was smoooooking hot and I was proud of the 13 year old's interaction w/her.  He's learning.  ;)
  • Options
    We went to the Polish American Deli this am - already a line 30 mins prior to open.
    Got three types of homemade kielbasa and 2 types of perogies.
    Shit looks pretty good.

The lady who helped us was smoooooking hot and I was proud of the 13 year old's interaction w/her.  He's learning.  ;)

:lol: 

Yeah, very important things you have to get your son to learn.... haha
  • Options
    Recognize
    React
    Respect

Good lessons.
  • Options
    Recognize
    React
    Respect

Good lessons.
    That's absolutely true! 
    ;)
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    We made falafel last night. Trader Joe's mix, super easy and delicious. That with a tzatziki we made with cucs, mint, lemon and greek yogurt. 

Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/