Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    I'm not offended.  No your not flippant.
    I believe that what I wrote above are facts.  You can believe what ever you want.
    How can anyone prove that God is real? Well yes a lot of it is faith.  And unfortunately I cannot bring Him to the front door of your house and show you Him, which is apparently what the people here need to see in order to believe.  I'm not being flippant.  But really.
    Well that's why I provided some scripture with my answer or non answer as it were.  The bible is my proof.  The intricacies of nature is proof to me.  The perfection, the way the oceans and seas have high tide & low tide every day feeding countless species on beaches around the globe.  The moon is set at the right distance to cause high tide, low tide, and often be a nice night light at the same time.. I think it rises and receeds about 5 feet in most cases, can you imagine the tonage on that?   The unbelievable camouflage on animals.  And the timing of it.  Deer fawns are born in mid spring.  Fawns have white spots on them when they hit the ground, at the same time the forest floor is spraling with white flowers that pop up every where. coincidence?  We along with many animals have baby teeth, and then as we or animals grow one by one the baby teeth get pushed out by adult teeth. coincidence?  You eat and drink and gravity kind of does the rest for you. coincidence? Good thing it doesn't go the other way.  You have a little hair on the back of your knuckles so that maby if you get a finger stuck somewhere maby you can have your finger back. coincidence?Lol.
    Butterflies & hummingbird can migrate so far including a 500 mile trip across the Gulf to me that's proof, but I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this that doesn't include God. ok.
    As far as prayer goes, no I don't hear voices in my head.  No it's not like talking to an imigianary friend.  It is hard to explain.  It's just a close personal
    relationship.  How does He talk or answer?  It's a combination of being patient, studying the bible a little every day.  I don't know how else to describe it, but the Holy Spirit is a very comforting presence that you can actually feel.  It's like a warmth, but not like heat from a furnace, but a warmth that warms the soul.  And then you see or get the answers as life unfolds around you.
    Thanks for your respectful question.

you know, I hear people use the natural world as the basis for their faith, or at least a partial basis, and I get that. because in many ways it makes sense to me that someone, someTHING, had to create all of these perfect scenarios, billions and billions of them, for it all to work. But why is that proof of a christian god as opposed to a supreme being that has nothing to do with the bible or jesus or moses or adam and eve? the earth is billions of years old. man has been here for a million. and god wrote his book only 2000 years ago? why? what took so long?

I used to have a "relationship" with god/jesus. and yes, it gave me that comfortable feeling you describe. then I realized, in my mind (around 19 or 20 years old), that organized religion was all hogwash, and the relationship I was having didn't actually exist. it seemed real at the time. what you describe is the same feeling people get when they meditate, or do yoga, or simply sit in nature and listen to the birds for an afternoon. or even go to the spa. 

honestly, a book that resonated with me more than the bible ever did was the Celestine Prophecy. 

again, whatever works for you as an individual, then that's great. my wife is christian, and she prays every day. 

peace. 
    This says it so well for me- and I went through a similar personal realization. 

The way I understand it, life on earth and much of what we know of the known universe is explained by science.  What's left is a mystery too big and complex to simply describe by as recent a philosophy as Christianity.

And I don't mind that people have faith in Christ, but I would encourage believers to keep an open mind and not think (or act like) they have one up on the rest of us.
    No no. I don't think that I'm better than anyone.   And going door to door usually just pisses people off.  I have never considered going that route.  I've had people stop by my place they wanted to teach me things. And usually it's when you have a young child who's been cranky just finally went down for a nap and then somebody shows up in a car with some pamphlets and then the dogs are barking and then they come a-knockin   when I didn't answer the door they jiggle the handle to see if it's unlocked and poked her head in and say hello woke the baby up.  And I yelled it to them get the hell out of here I didn't send out any invites and you woke my baby up again. no that's not a good way to spread your message.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    I believe that what I wrote above are facts.  You can believe what ever you want.
    How can anyone prove that God is real? Well yes a lot of it is faith.  And unfortunately I cannot bring Him to the front door of your house and show you Him, which is apparently what the people here need to see in order to believe.  I'm not being flippant.  But really.
    Well that's why I provided some scripture with my answer or non answer as it were.  The bible is my proof.  The intricacies of nature is proof to me.  The perfection, the way the oceans and seas have high tide & low tide every day feeding countless species on beaches around the globe.  The moon is set at the right distance to cause high tide, low tide, and often be a nice night light at the same time.. I think it rises and receeds about 5 feet in most cases, can you imagine the tonage on that?   The unbelievable camouflage on animals.  And the timing of it.  Deer fawns are born in mid spring.  Fawns have white spots on them when they hit the ground, at the same time the forest floor is spraling with white flowers that pop up every where. coincidence?  We along with many animals have baby teeth, and then as we or animals grow one by one the baby teeth get pushed out by adult teeth. coincidence?  You eat and drink and gravity kind of does the rest for you. coincidence? Good thing it doesn't go the other way.  You have a little hair on the back of your knuckles so that maby if you get a finger stuck somewhere maby you can have your finger back. coincidence?Lol.
    Butterflies & hummingbird can migrate so far including a 500 mile trip across the Gulf to me that's proof, but I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this that doesn't include God. ok.
    As far as prayer goes, no I don't hear voices in my head.  No it's not like talking to an imigianary friend.  It is hard to explain.  It's just a close personal
    relationship.  How does He talk or answer?  It's a combination of being patient, studying the bible a little every day.  I don't know how else to describe it, but the Holy Spirit is a very comforting presence that you can actually feel.  It's like a warmth, but not like heat from a furnace, but a warmth that warms the soul.  And then you see or get the answers as life unfolds around you.

You need to take a couple science classes brosef.
    Highschool level would be sufficient.

Everything you listed there has a basic 7th to 10th grade level scientific explanation.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:

you know, I hear people use the natural world as the basis for their faith, or at least a partial basis, and I get that. because in many ways it makes sense to me that someone, someTHING, had to create all of these perfect scenarios, billions and billions of them, for it all to work. But why is that proof of a christian god as opposed to a supreme being that has nothing to do with the bible or jesus or moses or adam and eve? the earth is billions of years old. man has been here for a million. and god wrote his book only 2000 years ago? why? what took so long?

I used to have a "relationship" with god/jesus. and yes, it gave me that comfortable feeling you describe. then I realized, in my mind (around 19 or 20 years old), that organized religion was all hogwash, and the relationship I was having didn't actually exist. it seemed real at the time. what you describe is the same feeling people get when they meditate, or do yoga, or simply sit in nature and listen to the birds for an afternoon. or even go to the spa. 

honestly, a book that resonated with me more than the bible ever did was the Celestine Prophecy. 

again, whatever works for you as an individual, then that's great. my wife is christian, and she prays every day. 

peace. 

The way I understand it, life on earth and much of what we know of the known universe is explained by science.  What's left is a mystery too big and complex to simply describe by as recent a philosophy as Christianity.

And I don't mind that people have faith in Christ, but I would encourage believers to keep an open mind and not think (or act like) they have one up on the rest of us.
    No no. I don't think that I'm better than anyone.   And going door to door usually just pisses people off.  I have never considered going that route.  I've had people stop by my place they wanted to teach me things. And usually it's when you have a young child who's been cranky just finally went down for a nap and then somebody shows up in a car with some pamphlets and then the dogs are barking and then they come a-knockin   when I didn't answer the door they jiggle the handle to see if it's unlocked and poked her head in and say hello woke the baby up.  And I yelled it to them get the hell out of here idiots I didn't send out any invites and you woke my baby up again. no that's not a good way to spread your message.
    there was an air of superiority in your longer post. the phrases like "coincidence? lol" and "I'm sure there's a scientific answer besides god. ok."

there is a general patronizing that SOME christians hold, the "I know something you don't" "you'll figure it out someday" type of attitude that is very annoying and is what gets many people's backs up when talking about this stuff. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:

You need to take a couple science classes brosef.
    Highschool level would be sufficient.

Everything you listed there has a basic 7th to 10th grade level scientific explanation.
    yes...a basic class on natural selection answers a lot of "questions"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    RYME said:

How do you explain vestigial organs?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:

peace. 

No no. I don't think that I'm better than anyone.   And going door to door usually just pisses people off.  I have never considered going that route.  I've had people stop by my place they wanted to teach me things. And usually it's when you have a young child who's been cranky just finally went down for a nap and then somebody shows up in a car with some pamphlets and then the dogs are barking and then they come a-knockin   when I didn't answer the door they jiggle the handle to see if it's unlocked and poked her head in and say hello woke the baby up.  And I yelled it to them get the hell out of here I didn't send out any invites and you woke my baby up again. no that's not a good way to spread your message.
    You seem very sincere, RHYM and though I don't share it, I respect your faith.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:
    Both sides have to answer a similar question.

The Religious person asks the atheist:  how did something come from nothing?

The atheist asks the religious person:  How could God have existed for all eternity?

it is like the chicken or the egg.

Thinking about how and why the universe exists makes my head spin.  Why is there a universe?  Why is there anything?  Can there even be nothing without there being something?

I'll take a stab at this, and then it's up to individuals to go forward with it or not for further understanding.
    IS GOD REAL?
    YES!  God is Very Real!  Look around you...He created everything.  The flowers, the birds, the heavens...He even created YOU!  He is not some bid floating ball of energy out in space somewhere!  We were made in His and the angels' image.  Even though we cannot see Him, we look a lot like He and the angels look.
    We are His children, and like most parents, He loves us very much!  He loves us so much in fact, that He gave us His letter of instructions, the bible, to teach us of His love.  He expects us to love Him enough to study and follow His Word, the Truth, not the traditions of men.  He wants you to help Him carry forth His plan which is explained in the bible.  (The answers to the questions are all layed out in the bible.)
    He wants you to read His Word with the innocence of a child and without men's theories and beliefs getting in your way.  He is your protector.  He is SUPER-Natural, which means He is
    "MORE-Natural" than you can even imagine.  He will watch over you like a mama bear watches over her baby cubs.
    You have to make an effort though.  He's not going to beg you to come to Him.
    Revelation 22:13. "I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last."
    GOD is Eternal.
    It is impossible to doubt the reality of GOD when you see the beauty of HIS nature!
    Did you know that God's Children have an angel in heaven that watches over them?  They have God's attention at any time if that child needs God.  As Jesus said:. Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of My Father Which is in heaven.
    Our Father wants you to communicate with Him.  He wants you to talk to Him.  He wants to hear from you.  He wants to know how He can help you.  You can talk to God anywhere, anytime, without saying a single word out loud, because He knows your every thought.  He created your soul, He is your Heavenly Father.  Let Him know you love Him, and that you want to be on His side.

No offence, but just because you state these things as fact doesn't make them true, or provide any kind of proof that they are. How can anyone prove God is real? Where did He come from? What was He doing before He started creating? How can you prove any of the things you stated are God's work? Because the Bible says so? What makes the Bible, or an other religious texts for that matter, more important than any other book? 

Another question I have always wanted to ask these who believe: how does God communicate with you? When you pray, or talk to God, how does He answer? Do you hear His voice in your head, or do thoughts come into your head that you attribute to Him, and then take as 'a sign'? 

Sorry for all of the questions, but given how open you have been in this thread I didn't think you'd mind. I can assure that they are genuine and not trying to sound flippant. 
    Honest answers from a Christian...
    How can I prove God is real? I can't. I don't think anyone can, at least from a scientific standpoint. My faith tells me he's real.
    What was he doing before he created the Earth? Who knows? I wonder that myself. Who's to say he didn't create other worlds in other galaxies. Why would he only create one? Kinda like the many worlds theories. I think there is probably life out there somewhere else.
    How can I prove that any of the things stated are God's work? Well, if I believe that he created this world and everything in it, he therefore created those things. Can I prove that? No, but it's what I believe.
    What makes the Bible more important than other religious texts? because it's what I was taught when I was growing up lol. That's really the simplest and most honest answer. When I was younger, it wasn't really specifically said in our church that other religions were wrong, but we kind of had this feeling that we were right. I'm sure  Methodists, Baptists, Adventists, etc maybe felt the same way. Maybe they didn't, I don't know. As I've gotten older, I've come to believe the Bible is more of a manual for how to live. It's man that has taken it and cherry picked the specific things that fit that person's narrative to what they want to believe and perverted God's wishes/plans. God didn't really invent religion, man did. I don't see one religion as being more right or more deserving than another.
    How does God communicate with me? Like Ryme said, it's kind of hard to explain. I don't hear voices. I think it's just kinda actions or signs mostly. And they don't necessarily have to be big. Some maybe are, but some may be small. And we may miss them all the time, but they're there. Like a feeling you get to do something nice for somebody. Or when you're feeling down or having a rough go of things, and an old friend or someone calls you out of the blue to say hello and wants to hang out with you. I don't know, maybe those are just being a kind person or coincidences, but maybe they're God nudging you do to something nice or giving you a friend in a time of need. I sometimes feel they're both. I don't feel that everything has to be a sign from God, and like others, I can kind of get annoyed by that. A lot of times, it's just being a good person and others maybe it's God.

• Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:

peace. 

Agreed, just because I'm a Christian doesn't make me better than you. I wish more would understand that, instead of using their "belief" as crutch for their own self-righteousness
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ponytd said:
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:
    Both sides have to answer a similar question.

The Religious person asks the atheist:  how did something come from nothing?

The atheist asks the religious person:  How could God have existed for all eternity?

it is like the chicken or the egg.

Thinking about how and why the universe exists makes my head spin.  Why is there a universe?  Why is there anything?  Can there even be nothing without there being something?

I'll take a stab at this, and then it's up to individuals to go forward with it or not for further understanding.
    IS GOD REAL?
    YES!  God is Very Real!  Look around you...He created everything.  The flowers, the birds, the heavens...He even created YOU!  He is not some bid floating ball of energy out in space somewhere!  We were made in His and the angels' image.  Even though we cannot see Him, we look a lot like He and the angels look.
    We are His children, and like most parents, He loves us very much!  He loves us so much in fact, that He gave us His letter of instructions, the bible, to teach us of His love.  He expects us to love Him enough to study and follow His Word, the Truth, not the traditions of men.  He wants you to help Him carry forth His plan which is explained in the bible.  (The answers to the questions are all layed out in the bible.)
    He wants you to read His Word with the innocence of a child and without men's theories and beliefs getting in your way.  He is your protector.  He is SUPER-Natural, which means He is
    "MORE-Natural" than you can even imagine.  He will watch over you like a mama bear watches over her baby cubs.
    You have to make an effort though.  He's not going to beg you to come to Him.
    Revelation 22:13. "I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last."
    GOD is Eternal.
    It is impossible to doubt the reality of GOD when you see the beauty of HIS nature!
    Did you know that God's Children have an angel in heaven that watches over them?  They have God's attention at any time if that child needs God.  As Jesus said:. Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of My Father Which is in heaven.
    Our Father wants you to communicate with Him.  He wants you to talk to Him.  He wants to hear from you.  He wants to know how He can help you.  You can talk to God anywhere, anytime, without saying a single word out loud, because He knows your every thought.  He created your soul, He is your Heavenly Father.  Let Him know you love Him, and that you want to be on His side.

No offence, but just because you state these things as fact doesn't make them true, or provide any kind of proof that they are. How can anyone prove God is real? Where did He come from? What was He doing before He started creating? How can you prove any of the things you stated are God's work? Because the Bible says so? What makes the Bible, or an other religious texts for that matter, more important than any other book? 

Another question I have always wanted to ask these who believe: how does God communicate with you? When you pray, or talk to God, how does He answer? Do you hear His voice in your head, or do thoughts come into your head that you attribute to Him, and then take as 'a sign'? 

Sorry for all of the questions, but given how open you have been in this thread I didn't think you'd mind. I can assure that they are genuine and not trying to sound flippant. 
    Honest answers from a Christian...
    How can I prove God is real? I can't. I don't think anyone can, at least from a scientific standpoint. My faith tells me he's real.
    What was he doing before he created the Earth? Who knows? I wonder that myself. Who's to say he didn't create other worlds in other galaxies. Why would he only create one? Kinda like the many worlds theories. I think there is probably life out there somewhere else.
    How can I prove that any of the things stated are God's work? Well, if I believe that he created this world and everything in it, he therefore created those things. Can I prove that? No, but it's what I believe.
    What makes the Bible more important than other religious texts? because it's what I was taught when I was growing up lol. That's really the simplest and most honest answer. When I was younger, it wasn't really specifically said in our church that other religions were wrong, but we kind of had this feeling that we were right. I'm sure  Methodists, Baptists, Adventists, etc maybe felt the same way. Maybe they didn't, I don't know. As I've gotten older, I've come to believe the Bible is more of a manual for how to live. It's man that has taken it and cherry picked the specific things that fit that person's narrative to what they want to believe and perverted God's wishes/plans. God didn't really invent religion, man did. I don't see one religion as being more right or more deserving than another.
    How does God communicate with me? Like Ryme said, it's kind of hard to explain. I don't hear voices. I think it's just kinda actions or signs mostly. And they don't necessarily have to be big. Some maybe are, but some may be small. And we may miss them all the time, but they're there. Like a feeling you get to do something nice for somebody. Or when you're feeling down or having a rough go of things, and an old friend or someone calls you out of the blue to say hello and wants to hang out with you. I don't know, maybe those are just being a kind person or coincidences, but maybe they're God nudging you do to something nice or giving you a friend in a time of need. I sometimes feel they're both. I don't feel that everything has to be a sign from God, and like others, I can kind of get annoyed by that. A lot of times, it's just being a good person and others maybe it's God.

Well said!  Some of my answers to the questions asked here are long, spacific & detailed.  I don't know how to answer without getting preachy.  None of which are ment to anoy or offend anyone.  But I find it hard to answer without annoying people.  One guy suggests that I  should go back to kindergarten and start over.lol.  Maby this time I'll pay more attention in school. ;)
    I think you articulate what I've been trying to say better than I.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2017
    ^^^
    It's difficult for non-believers to be preached at.  Tell them facts like it is not what you think or feel like it is.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    I kinda love and hate religious discussions.  I love it cause it's fascinating and so many different beliefs.  I hate it cause just like politics, those on the extreme sides are so freakin smug.  

One bashing with a bible and the other condescending as can be.  

But then I love it again when they are discussing with each other as each likes to pretend they are being preached at while not being preachy!   
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I kinda love and hate religious discussions.  I love it cause it's fascinating and so many different beliefs.  I hate it cause just like politics, those on the extreme sides are so freakin smug.  

But then I love it again when they are discussing with each other as each likes to pretend they are being preached at while not being preachy!   
    Said the preacher.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    My friends' kid, who is now 5, said a year ago "How can God be real?  He'd have to have a jetpack to answer that many people."  He just realized last week (on his own, using similar logic) that Santa Claus isn't real.  Kid believed in Santa longer than God, and still saw through the bullshit by age 5 for both.  And yet he doesn't spoil it for his 3 yr old brother (which he also figured out on his own).
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2017
    Many people say they don't believe in god. But then anyway in some situations, when they get really scared or really want something, they turn to god anyway. 
    Why is that? Do some people don't think it's cool to believe in god?
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    ^^^
    At what age should people stop believing in the concept of Santa or the tooth fairy?

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108

Said the preacher.
    Preach on!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Many people say they don't believe in god. But then anyway in some situations, when they get really scared or really want something, they turn to god anyway. 
    It's not about being cool.
    It's about being right, seeking truth.

In our darkest moments we all wish for deliverance, but wishes aren't worth much, if anything.
  • Options

I agree.  And I especially love how some always claim they're in the middle (live and let live type people) yet bash both sides.  They don't realize that each side of the fence is holding their weight.
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    LOL  I laugh at myself.  I don't know if there is a god (it's all a mystery to me) so I'm not really a believer BUT if I'm really P.O.'d about something sometime I go out and shake my fist at the skies and yell, "Whhhhhhhhhyyyyy?!" (But this only works at night.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    LOL  I laugh at myself.  I don't know if there is a god (it's all a mystery to me) so I'm not really a believer BUT if I'm really P.O.'d about something sometime I go out and shake my fist at the skies and yell, "Whhhhhhhhhyyyyy?!" (But this only works at night.)
    Lol :) I can totally picture it in my head.

rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

In our darkest moments we all wish for deliverance, but wishes aren't worth much, if anything.
    So you are a seeker ? I kind of thought you had your mind made up. This was nice :)
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited July 2017
    If there is a God his biggest failure is creating humans. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    eddiec said:
    Yep, maybe we've come a bit on the way when we at least admit this. So we are a failure, can we do anything about this? We are here now, living our life's on this earth. 
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Lol :) I can totally picture it in my head.

rgambs said:
    Annafalk said:

So you are a seeker ? I kind of thought you had your mind made up. This was nice :)
    Always seeking truth through evidence!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    eddiec said:
    Hmmm,. So there are no good humans? And what if I told you that he created this Earth to be inhabited?  So whether or not we came along by intelligent design or through Evolution baby you're saying that humans are bad.
    So everybody here who presumably enjoys the same music, enjoy talking with one another, having friends and family are all God's failures, wow.
     "If there is a god" we are all mistakes? While we have our differences I think that we have a lot of good in common.
    There are some bad apples throughout humanity, but I think that there are a lot of spectacular, good and beautiful people through out humanity..  I see a lot of beautiful people when I go to a Pearl Jam show for example.  People that get involved in humanitarian efforts or attend a charity concert to help those in need.
    Firefighters that run into burning buildings trying to save people. There are people that like to seek and destroy all that is good.  And then you have people that sacrifice themselves for the good of others.  You don't have to do heroic things to be a value to humanity either it could be as simple as holding the door open at a convenience store for an old lady coming behind you with a walker rather than letting the door shut and letting her fumble bumble and a struggle to get herself in on her own.  And then as mentioned earlier after the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert you had homeless people pulling Nails out of a young girl's face and trying to help in any way they could to me that's awesome Humanity.
    The idea that all humans suck is unbelievable.  Some do & some don't.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ^^^
    At what age should people stop believing in the concept of Santa or the tooth fairy?

We have 4 kids...now they are 23, 22, 17, 15

I think we pushed the santa/tooth fairy crap for our first two kids but by the time the second two came along we ditched all that stuff.

It's ridiculous to tell kids that there are no ghosts or "boogey men" living in their closets when you push the narrative of an invisible fairy swapping their teeth for money.

I felt like a liar....it's really ridiculous when you think about it.  We teach children to fear upsetting Santa for the same reasons we teach them to fear Jesus

• Options
    ^^^

We have 4 kids...now they are 23, 22, 17, 15

I think we pushed the santa/tooth fairy crap for our first two kids but by the time the second two came along we ditched all that stuff.

It's ridiculous to tell kids that there are no ghosts or "boogey men" living in their closets when you push the narrative of an invisible fairy swapping their teeth for money.

I felt like a liar....it's really ridiculous when you think about it.  We teach children to fear upsetting Santa for the same reasons we teach them to fear Jesus
    my daughters are 7 and 11. my 11 year old, incredibly, still hasn't found out the truth about santa and the tooth fairy. not looking forward to it. I thought it would have happened by now. my 7 year old might figure it out first! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RYME said:
    eddiec said:
    Hmmm,. So there are no good humans? And what if I told you that he created this Earth to be inhabited?  So whether or not we came along by intelligent design or through Evolution baby you're saying that humans are bad.
    So everybody here who presumably enjoys the same music, enjoy talking with one another, having friends and family are all God's failures, wow.
     "If there is a god" we are all mistakes? While we have our differences I think that we have a lot of good in common.
    There are some bad apples throughout humanity, but I think that there are a lot of spectacular, good and beautiful people through out humanity..  I see a lot of beautiful people when I go to a Pearl Jam show for example.  People that get involved in humanitarian efforts or attend a charity concert to help those in need.
    Firefighters that run into burning buildings trying to save people. There are people that like to seek and destroy all that is good.  And then you have people that sacrifice themselves for the good of others.  You don't have to do heroic things to be a value to humanity either it could be as simple as holding the door open at a convenience store for an old lady coming behind you with a walker rather than letting the door shut and letting her fumble bumble and a struggle to get herself in on her own.  And then as mentioned earlier after the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert you had homeless people pulling Nails out of a young girl's face and trying to help in any way they could to me that's awesome Humanity.
    Thank you for contributing with a little positive thoughts on this. If we humans didn't have some humanity, I don't think we would have come as far as we have with the building of society's and such.
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:
    eddiec said:
    Thank you for contributing with a little positive thoughts on this. If we humans didn't have some humanity, I don't think we would have come as far as we have with the building of society's and such.
    yes, there are good humans. a lot of them. but most of the ones who are in positions of power are not those people, and we are allowing them to destroy the planet and each other. 

I don't think the point was that all humans suck. It was that the acts of our species over time have been negative towards the earth and its other inhabitants. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    RYME said:
    eddiec said:
    It's not about good humans vs. bad humans. It's that our species as a whole is the only species on the planet that is destructive to every other living thing, including ourselves. Granted we are a relatively new species in the history of our planet and we do possess an intellect that seems to surpass all other forms of life. The advances we have made in science and other fields is truly astounding. However, if you look at our history thus far I would say our impact has been much more negative than positive. Maybe in 50,000 years humans will look back with astonishment at how barbaric we once were. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:
    eddiec said:
    yes, there are good humans. a lot of them. but most of the ones who are in positions of power are not those people, and we are allowing them to destroy the planet and each other. 

I don't think the point was that all humans suck. It was that the acts of our species over time have been negative towards the earth and its other inhabitants. 
    HFD, and eddiec, spot on.  This is why I do not find it contradictory for me to say that I love several individuals and like a great many but am basically misanthropic.  There are millions, perhaps billions of wonderful humans on this planet but as a species we are a blight.  I don't say that to be vengeful, nasty or hateful.  I say it because, until we prove otherwise, I consider it to be a fact within the constraints of science.  In studying the science of ecology (not the popular notion, the science) it is plain to see we are a species at odds with the balances of nature.  We despoil and poison our air, water and land base, crap in our own nest, have overreached carrying capacity in our reproduction, over-consume the resources necessary for our survival and alter the climate in ways that, in the not-to-distant future, will be very harmful to our survival.  And we do all this with nary a thought as to how all this affects other life as if it is our God given (speaking of God) right to do so.
    Post edited by brianlux on