Options

2016 Republican Presidential Candidates.

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721

brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

At any rate, the very idea that abortion would be illegal is ridiculous. I can't fucking believe that the question was even raised. I mean, what fucking century is the US in???

Yeah, sometimes I feel like we have century zones instead of time zones here. You're right, the question shouldn't have even been raised, and it really wouldn't be where I live. But go to some of our bible thumping southern states, and I feel like we're doing the time warp. Hell, I just read this heartbreaking article that happened in Texas - something that I couldn't imagine happening in my state:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/31/texas-forced-this-woman-to-deliver-a-stillborn-baby.html
    We love our southern neighbours don't get us wrong. But like you said some of your bible thumping southern states, wow.
    You will not progress with religion.
    Anyhow - Americans are nice people and mean well.
    Only it's not that easily divided up. I lived in western New York for two years and that area was known as "The Bible Belt".

The north and south US are still divided, no doubt, but it's a complicated division and a lot of it remains due to the stigma of "winners" and "losers" in the civil war. Maybe if we removed the stigma some of the craziness would dissipate. Wish I knew the answer to that one. The internet might be able to change some of that.
    Again with the internet google stuff. (unless I am misreading)
    I drove through Biloxi 5yrs ago and stopped a cracker barrel for lunch.
    It was as though the locals were waiting for the shootout at noon.
    There was not a doubt that day whatsoever what my race was.

edit - had quite a similar experience when I overnighted in Mobile, Alabama.
    There is much irony in what I said. I do believe most of us are overly tied to our machines. We spend too much time locked into them. At the same time, what these machines can do for us is amazing. More information is disseminated this way than ever before dreamed of. It allows us access to idea and thoughts that can create positive change. But it's true, it is only a catalyst and resource. It has to be used wisely and judiciously to create change for the good.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

At any rate, the very idea that abortion would be illegal is ridiculous. I can't fucking believe that the question was even raised. I mean, what fucking century is the US in???

Yeah, sometimes I feel like we have century zones instead of time zones here. You're right, the question shouldn't have even been raised, and it really wouldn't be where I live. But go to some of our bible thumping southern states, and I feel like we're doing the time warp. Hell, I just read this heartbreaking article that happened in Texas - something that I couldn't imagine happening in my state:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/31/texas-forced-this-woman-to-deliver-a-stillborn-baby.html
    We love our southern neighbours don't get us wrong. But like you said some of your bible thumping southern states, wow.
    Only it's not that easily divided up. I lived in western New York for two years and that area was known as "The Bible Belt".

The north and south US are still divided, no doubt, but it's a complicated division and a lot of it remains due to the stigma of "winners" and "losers" in the civil war. Maybe if we removed the stigma some of the craziness would dissipate. Wish I knew the answer to that one. The internet might be able to change some of that.

There is much irony in what I said. I do believe most of us are overly tied to our machines. We spend too much time locked into them. At the same time, what these machines can do for us is amazing. More information is disseminated this way than ever before dreamed of. It allows us access to idea and thoughts that can create positive change. But it's true, it is only a catalyst and resource. It has to be used wisely and judiciously to create change for the good.
    I will venture to guess that you are older than I but we share the same affinity of an encyclopedia.
    It is bizarre that the dewey decimal system and the like is a lost generation. Earlier in some thread I was questioned about having children. It is strange when they think you are old when you write things in cursive and have no idea what searching for information is beyond google.
    A library loan card with a stamp? Forget it.
    Google is a curse.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

I will venture to guess that you are older than I but we share the same affinity of an encyclopedia.
    It is bizarre that the dewey decimal system and the like is a lost generation. Earlier in some thread I was questioned about having children. It is strange when they think you are old when you write things in cursive and have no idea what searching for information is beyond google.
    A library loan card with a stamp? Forget it.
    Google is a curse.
    I just use my home microfiche machine for research and print the result on my ditto paper.
  • Options
    ^^
    Quick sidetrack OP (hope that's cool) but my child came to me one day and said "Dad, do you know that you were born in the 1900's"?
    It was an emotional experience to say the least.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

^^
    Quick sidetrack OP (hope that's cool) but my child came to me one day and said "Dad, do you know that you were born in the 1900's"?
    It was an emotional experience to say the least.

Unless you're 16, it's pretty realistic, yes?

At least the kid knows math.
  • Options
    I still have my well worn library card and support our library! Google is simple the beginning of a search for information. Obviously I'm a big fan of reading books (real books) for a variety of reasons but the internet is great too and surely more than just Google. I get news feeds and "alerts" (over-used term) from various organizations in my emails and on my Facebook. I check in with and support a few of the better news sites like The Guardian. I visit a wide variety of sites always looking for the most dependable (remembering you can't believe half of what you see). Google is great but it's not necessarily the best way to get objective information. For example, if each of us did a Google search for "basic guitar lessons" each of us would get a feed that differs because the machine gives us what it thinks we want the most and possible (I think probably) what will more likely lead us to consumption. I can't prove that last fact, it's just a hunch (based on how my FB loves to display stuff I've looked at elsewhere on line).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Obamas statement about Trump from this article http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-idUSKCN0WZ0SV
    "The person who made the statements doesn't know much about foreign policy or nuclear policy or the Korean peninsula, or the world generally," Obama said, warning that the world is closely watching the U.S. election rhetoric.

"I've said before that people pay attention to American elections. What we do is really important to the rest of the world,” Obama said.

An outgoing president is even concerned....
    Trump is not going away folks.
  • Options

Obamas statement about Trump from this article http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-idUSKCN0WZ0SV
    "The person who made the statements doesn't know much about foreign policy or nuclear policy or the Korean peninsula, or the world generally," Obama said, warning that the world is closely watching the U.S. election rhetoric.

"I've said before that people pay attention to American elections. What we do is really important to the rest of the world,” Obama said.

An outgoing president is even concerned....
    Trump is not going away folks.

Obama will be campaigning hard for the D nominee. There hasn't been an outgoing president since maybe Ike, who was popular enough to campaign (Reagan wasn't physically able). It's really a unique thing.
  • Options
    I'm still of a mind that it is not the possibility that Trump will be elected (he won't) that should be of concern but rather that so many have yet to come to their senses and see how self defeating it is to support a misogynistic, hateful potential tyrant like Trump for the position of President of the United States.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I'm still of a mind that it is not the possibility that Trump will be elected (he won't) that should be of concern but rather that so many have yet to come to their senses and see how self defeating it is to support a misogynistic, hateful potential tyrant like Trump for the position of President of the United States.

It's very perplexing isn't it?
    So many Americans want this guy as your next leader.
  • Options

brianlux said:

They are caught up in something they don't understand. These are people who are impressed by a bullies nature, by bravado and loud barking and ranting. They feed on anger and hate. And what creates this kind of mind set? Poor parenting and poor education.

• Options

brianlux said:

Yet 70% have a negative opinion of him.
  • Options
    ^^^
    And what percentage have a positive view of Clinton?
    I would like to compare the numbers.
    Either way the voter majority is leaning Trump - actual voters.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

^^^

Don't kid yourself, all 3rd party voters have yet to voice their opinions, but they will come November.
  • Options
    Free said:

^^^

Don't kid yourself, all 3rd party voters have yet to voice their opinions, but they will come November.
    You would think such fine upstanding get out and vote 3rd party voters that want a bern would be out in full force supporting him now and not waiting until November. What is up with that?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

Free said:

^^^

You would think such fine upstanding get out and vote 3rd party voters that want a bern would be out in full force supporting him now and not waiting until November. What is up with that?
    A ton of them are.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2016
    ^^^
    Not enough for Hilary to feel the bern though.
    It's like saying that there are a ton more bern supporters waiting to vote?
    All of Clintons voters have spoken and she is leading.
  • Options

^^^

... but losing ground. Bernie is on the upswing!

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2016
    brianlux said:

^^^

On the upswing to his maxout of support which has already been deemed not in the numbers to win at this point.
  • Options

brianlux said:

^^^

On the upswing to his maxout of support which has already been deemed not in the numbers to win at this point.
    We shall see. I'm still optimistic!

• Options

^^^

Hillary's number is about 55%. It is high, but not compared to Trump. And considering she is leading Trump by an average of 10 points in the latest polls, the vehemency of the negatives is stronger with Trump. Your statement that the majority is leaning to Trump is not backed by any data. See for yourself: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

RCP Average 3/16 - 3/26 -- -- 49.7 39.1 Clinton +10.6
    PPP (D) 3/24 - 3/26 1083 RV 3.0 48 41 Clinton +7
    FOX News 3/20 - 3/22 1016 RV 3.0 49 38 Clinton +11
    Bloomberg 3/19 - 3/22 815 LV 3.4 54 36 Clinton +18
    Quinnipiac 3/16 - 3/21 1451 RV 2.6 46 40 Clinton +6
    CBS News/NY Times 3/17 - 3/20 1058 RV 4.0 50 40 Clinton +10
    CNN/ORC 3/17 - 3/20 925 RV 3.0 53 41 Clinton +12
    Monmouth 3/17 - 3/20 848 RV 3.4 48 38 Clinton +10
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    On Meet the Press David Brooks just predicted that

1. Trump will be the nominee
    2. 100 years from now history will remember Trump as the biggest political disaster in US history
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

On Meet the Press David Brooks just predicted that

1. Trump will be the nominee
    2. 100 years from now history will remember Trump as the biggest political disaster in US history

Mondale lost 49 states, so that will be hard to top. But yet...within his reach...
  • Options
    yeah he said "forget Mondale, forget McGovern"

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

yeah he said "forget Mondale, forget McGovern"

That would make him 'the best' at losing, for sure.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJ_Soul said:

Just some of our nation.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

Brian, politicians and those in power want to keep us divided.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ^ To me, the break is generally defined by urban and rural. It's like they say with Pennsylvania... it's Philly and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in the middle.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

^ To me, the break is generally defined by urban and rural. It's like they say with Pennsylvania... it's Philly and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in the middle.

Funny.
  • Options