Options

2016 Republican Presidential Candidates.

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    and it would be awesome if people stopped using the ridiculously overused phrase : the terrorists have already won.....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663

mrussel1 said:

Is it any surprise Trump fumbled the abortion question? He was pro choice until he decided to run for president.....but no no no, he's clearly not a politician.

He just hasn't taken the time to think through any of his positions. His answers to the editorial boards of the WashPo and NYT are just as revealing and ignorant. Amazingly, he managed to offend the SINGLE position where the pro life and pro choice movement agree.... don't punish the woman. Very difficult to align Planned Parenthood and March of Life. Impressive.
    Which is weird since if it's illegal, why wouldn't the doctor and the person purchasing the service both get arrested?

It's weird that people are up in arms about that statement. It's triple weird he changed his opinion so much.

Trump is an idiot but I have no issue with his first comment on the matter.
    The perspective on the Right for this issue is that they interested in saving babies, not punishing women. They understand that this isn't the typical argument for 'crimes' since you would normally have criminals and accessories: the woman, the doctor, the person who drove her to the clinic, the person who paid for it, etc. It could be a RICO case by the end. But that's not where their interest lies. They do believe in punishing doctors, sort of like putting away the drug dealer but not the user.

The appalling thing to the Right on this comment is that it is totally out of line with anyone in the pro-life movement. And it makes them think that he's either not really pro life, or that his 'conversion' has not led him to study the issue for a minute.

For the record, I'm pro choice, but I'm just relaying the perspective of a serious pro life person.
  • Options
    Trump was asked a standardized question if someone breaks the law should they be punished. No more, no less.
    No matter the absurdity of the law in the state it is a law - so yes punishment is warranted.
    Don't like it then change the laws.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Trump was asked a standardized question if someone breaks the law should they be punished. No more, no less.
    No matter the absurdity of the law in the state it is a law - so yes punishment is warranted.
    Don't like it then change the laws.

It's not nearly that simple for the pro-life movement. Here is a good quote from the American Conservative Magazine. I would encourage you to read the entire article as it articulate their position rather succinctly. FWIW, it's all hypothetical. There is no law that bans abortion completely in any state:

That while abortion is killing, while it is murder, it is also associated with a situation, pregnancy, that’s unlike any other in human affairs, and as such requires a distinctive legal response. No other potential murderer has his victim inside his body, no other potential murder victim is not in some sense fully physically visible and present to his assailant and the world, no other human person presents herself (initially, in the first trimester) to her potential killer in what amounts to a pre-conscious state. And again: no other human experience is like pregnancy, period, whether or it comes expectedly or not.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/trump-abortion-candidacy/
  • Options
    I understand the pro-life's position. I just think it's really stupid. And I think this was simply another "gotcha" moment that trump was set up for and his opponents, out of party and in party, are attacking him with. And the public is too stupid to realize that what he said really wasn't wrong at all. As stupid as trump is and as scary as he can be, he is the only reasonable one in this...... Until of course he panicked and changed his opinion ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

I understand the pro-life's position. I just think it's really stupid. And I think this was simply another "gotcha" moment that trump was set up for and his opponents, out of party and in party, are attacking him with. And the public is too stupid to realize that what he said really wasn't wrong at all. As stupid as trump is and as scary as he can be, he is the only reasonable one in this...... Until of course he panicked and changed his opinion ;)

It was a trap, of course. But it represents two things: To the left, that he may actually think that women should be in jail for this. Otherwise, he would have said so. To the right, that he doesn't take their orthodoxy seriously. He managed to offend both wings with one statement. It's rather astounding. And to me, a moderate, it represents yet another position that he hasn't thought about for more than one minute. You can add that to the list.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2016
    mrussel1 said:

It was a trap, of course. But it represents two things: To the left, that he may actually think that women should be in jail for this. Otherwise, he would have said so. To the right, that he doesn't take their orthodoxy seriously. He managed to offend both wings with one statement. It's rather astounding. And to me, a moderate, it represents yet another position that he hasn't thought about for more than one minute. You can add that to the list.
    He never said women should be in jail for this at all nor did he imply that. He said there should be some form of punishment for breaking that theoretical law. On the orthodox side I could not care less if those brain dead zombie jebus loving hippies get offended they offend everyone when they speak.
    Some people hate Trump but no one articulates why he would be a bad president ever on this train. That is what is rather astounding.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

mrussel1 said:

He never said women should be in jail for this at all nor did he imply that. He said there should be some form of punishment for breaking that theoretical law. On the orthodox side I could not care less if those brain dead zombie jebus loving hippies get offended they offend everyone when they speak.
    Some people hate Trump but no one articulates why he would be a bad president ever on this train. That is what is rather astounding.
    You have demonstrated many times that you don't read posts longer than a few sentences long, perhaps if you did you would find what you think is missing...perhaps you aren't capable of comprehension when you do see it.

Either way, maybe you won't think it's so funny when he threatens Canada with nuclear bombs like he did Europe...then again, if anyone could find that funny it would be our resident bridge-dweller.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Zombie Jesus loving voters are Americans too, and there's a lot of them whether they are pro life or pro choice. And the POTUS represents all Americans, not just the ones he/she agrees with. So taking a orthodox plank of the party platform seriously is pretty important. And when a candidate doesn't, it shows that they are not taking this deal very seriously.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    edited April 2016

mrussel1 said:

huh? Punishment for what? In the pro-life mind the crime is murder.

And to answer your other statement....Trump would be a bad president because he is an idiot. Every gaff is evidence of why he would be a bad president. That is discussed plenty on here.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

It is, but the movement has never advocated for punishing the woman. It's always been for punishment of the provider only. I'm not saying it isn't hypocritical, but above I link to some of their reasoning on the matter.
    Again, this would never happen in the US. So the question is an inane hypothetical. But it demonstrates lack of seriousness on the issues.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

It is, but the movement has never advocated for punishing the woman. It's always been for punishment of the provider only. I'm not saying it isn't hypocritical, but above I link to some of their reasoning on the matter.
    Again, this would never happen in the US. So the question is an inane hypothetical. But it demonstrates lack of seriousness on the issues.
    Right but Trump suggested that. I don't care that he's walking it back...at the time he was asked he was envisioning punishment for the woman.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mrussel1 said:

You have demonstrated many times that you don't read posts longer than a few sentences long, perhaps if you did you would find what you think is missing...perhaps you aren't capable of comprehension when you do see it.

Either way, maybe you won't think it's so funny when he threatens Canada with nuclear bombs like he did Europe...then again, if anyone could find that funny it would be our resident bridge-dweller.
    I have a Trump mind and I don't read or respond to anything that is seemingly designed to insult.
    I have no time to play circular games anymore. If you think that other countries don't have their hand over the nuke button then perhaps you can't comprehend the scale at which the POTUS needs to play at.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

mrussel1 said:

And to answer your other statement....Trump would be a bad president because he is an idiot. Every gaff is evidence of why he would be a bad president. That is discussed plenty on here.
    If it was illegal, (stupid as it is) he was saying that yes there should be some form of punishment for breaking the law. That is all he said in regards to the question posed to him.
    The law is the law, and I know the peaceful loving libby protesters like to oppose unjustness but it is useless unless they get their pot smoking lazy ass off the couch and into office and actually do something.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Zombie Jesus loving voters are Americans too, and there's a lot of them whether they are pro life or pro choice. And the POTUS represents all Americans, not just the ones he/she agrees with. So taking a orthodox plank of the party platform seriously is pretty important. And when a candidate doesn't, it shows that they are not taking this deal very seriously.
    Well perhaps you need to examine why politics and religion should ever mix.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Can you expand on this? The gov't is forbidden to establish a religion or prefer one religion over another. It's not forbidden from representing the views of someone who is religious.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Can you expand on this? The gov't is forbidden to establish a religion or prefer one religion over another. It's not forbidden from representing the views of someone who is religious.
    Either you are religious or not. Representing the views of the other is pretty hypocritical and misleading because it would not be fully genuine.
    Sorry a leader of a country should not have a god fearing bone in their body.
  • Options

and it would be awesome if people stopped using the ridiculously overused phrase : the terrorists have already won.....

The phrase I'm getting sick of is "and he/she/they won't say the words Radical Islamic Terrorists"

Cruz is probably the main offender...such a stupid thing to say

• Options

The phrase I'm getting sick of is "and he/she/they won't say the words Radical Islamic Terrorists"

What is wrong with wanting a presidential candidate to say that?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Either you are religious or not. Representing the views of the other is pretty hypocritical and misleading because it would not be fully genuine.
    Sorry a leader of a country should not have a god fearing bone in their body.
    So you are implicitly bringing up an important question here. Do you feel that an elected official only represents the people that voted for him/her? By contrast, Sanders said he voted against the Brady Bill in the 90s several times because that's the view of his constituency in VT, not because he didn't agree with the bill. That's sort of the opposite view.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

What is wrong with wanting a presidential candidate to say that?
    It's a false acusation.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ^^^
    I know what you are saying. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get trapped into a giant conversation only to have the religion card pop up to support the defense. I don't have time for that nonsense.
    In saying that an elected official at the POTUS level better have the pulse of the country in their heart and mind and if religion is in there at all a people will never get ahead.
  • Options

^^^
    I know what you are saying. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get trapped into a giant conversation only to have the religion card pop up to support the defense. I don't have time for that nonsense.
    In saying that an elected official at the POTUS level better have the pulse of the country in their heart and mind and if religion is in there at all a people will never get ahead.

Fair enough. But the political reality for Trump is that social conservatives are a critical voting block for him to get the nomination. He's lost the establishment and the business centrists, so he has to hold onto blue collar and social conservatives. Alienating them by not understanding their number one priority is a death knell for his candidacy.
  • Options
    ^^^
    He may not understand some priorities of some groups but he is the only one that seems to test all groups way of thinking and to me that is very beneficial to a potential leader. He will know how to deal with many and what is coming next after having observed behaviour from so many walks of life.
  • Options

That's a pretty fair comparison really. Interesting....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    At any rate, the very idea that abortion would be illegal is ridiculous. I can't fucking believe that the question was even raised. I mean, what fucking century is the US in???
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

At any rate, the very idea that abortion would be illegal is ridiculous. I can't fucking believe that the question was even raised. I mean, what fucking century is the US in???

Yeah, sometimes I feel like we have century zones instead of time zones here. You're right, the question shouldn't have even been raised, and it really wouldn't be where I live. But go to some of our bible thumping southern states, and I feel like we're doing the time warp. Hell, I just read this heartbreaking article that happened in Texas - something that I couldn't imagine happening in my state:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/31/texas-forced-this-woman-to-deliver-a-stillborn-baby.html
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, sometimes I feel like we have century zones instead of time zones here. You're right, the question shouldn't have even been raised, and it really wouldn't be where I live. But go to some of our bible thumping southern states, and I feel like we're doing the time warp. Hell, I just read this heartbreaking article that happened in Texas - something that I couldn't imagine happening in my state:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/31/texas-forced-this-woman-to-deliver-a-stillborn-baby.html
    We love our southern neighbours don't get us wrong. But like you said some of your bible thumping southern states, wow.
    You will not progress with religion.
    Anyhow - Americans are nice people and mean well.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

We love our southern neighbours don't get us wrong. But like you said some of your bible thumping southern states, wow.
    Only it's not that easily divided up. I lived in western New York for two years and that area was known as "The Bible Belt".

The north and south US are still divided, no doubt, but it's a complicated division and a lot of it remains due to the stigma of "winners" and "losers" in the civil war. Maybe if we removed the stigma some of the craziness would dissipate. Wish I knew the answer to that one. The internet might be able to change some of that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

Only it's not that easily divided up. I lived in western New York for two years and that area was known as "The Bible Belt".

The north and south US are still divided, no doubt, but it's a complicated division and a lot of it remains due to the stigma of "winners" and "losers" in the civil war. Maybe if we removed the stigma some of the craziness would dissipate. Wish I knew the answer to that one. The internet might be able to change some of that.
    Again with the internet google stuff. (unless I am misreading)
    I drove through Biloxi 5yrs ago and stopped a cracker barrel for lunch.
    It was as though the locals were waiting for the shootout at noon.
    There was not a doubt that day whatsoever what my race was.

edit - had quite a similar experience when I overnighted in Mobile, Alabama.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on