Options

2016 Republican Presidential Candidates.

Comments

• Options
    Free said:

brianlux said:

What do you suppose would be revealed if one of the more reputable (yeah, I know, is there one?) polling organizations took a poll of all registered Republicans and asked these questions:

1. What is your main reason for supporting the candidate of your choice?
    [I want to know what it is Republicans who support Trump really expect he would do for this country.]

2. Do you really take this year's Republican candidate selection seriously or have you just blown it off because you don't find any of the candidates in the running to be worth putting any serious effort behind?
    [Yes, another theory of mine: Republicans know it's a lost cause and recognize that their party is badly broken down and fractured so they want to make some noise why they can.]

1. I would say that since americans will be choosing between Hilary and Trump in November (Bernie who?) they will vote trump because they at least know what they are getting. Both have pipe dreams (Hilary wishes things will get better if we all hold hands a little tighter and trump will build a wall paid for by Mexicans. Which one sounds more loony?

2. Bernie or Hilary, really? Of course she is winning - she is running against Bernie, It's bernie, come on.
    Repubs are the only chance of not having 4more years of a Clinton. - unless that's what americans really want.
    It's delusional and clearly denial to still think that Bernie does not have a solid chance, voters have been making and will continue to donate and vote for him, not Hillary. Her supporters are the ones not voting, they must think she's a shoe-in which is showing to not actually happen.
    Being the nominee or POTUS?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Both!
  • Options
    I think sanders would be better than Clinton
    here are his ideas and how he intends to pay https://berniesanders.com/issues/how-bernie-pays-for-his-proposals/

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647
    Free said:

brianlux said:

What do you suppose would be revealed if one of the more reputable (yeah, I know, is there one?) polling organizations took a poll of all registered Republicans and asked these questions:

1. What is your main reason for supporting the candidate of your choice?
    [I want to know what it is Republicans who support Trump really expect he would do for this country.]

2. Do you really take this year's Republican candidate selection seriously or have you just blown it off because you don't find any of the candidates in the running to be worth putting any serious effort behind?
    [Yes, another theory of mine: Republicans know it's a lost cause and recognize that their party is badly broken down and fractured so they want to make some noise why they can.]

1. I would say that since americans will be choosing between Hilary and Trump in November (Bernie who?) they will vote trump because they at least know what they are getting. Both have pipe dreams (Hilary wishes things will get better if we all hold hands a little tighter and trump will build a wall paid for by Mexicans. Which one sounds more loony?

2. Bernie or Hilary, really? Of course she is winning - she is running against Bernie, It's bernie, come on.
    Repubs are the only chance of not having 4more years of a Clinton. - unless that's what americans really want.
    It's delusional and clearly denial to still think that Bernie does not have a solid chance, voters have been making and will continue to donate and vote for him, not Hillary. Her supporters are the ones not voting, they must think she's a shoe-in which is showing to not actually happen.
    Hillary is the favorite, but right now its 4 times more likely Trump is POTUS then Bernie.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Because the media says so?
    Nun-uh.
    The people decide in the end and the majority will never let Trump win.
  • Options
    Free said:

Nun-uh.

Where is this "majority" you speak of that could've prevented him from winning all these states and delegates so far?
  • Options
    It's everyone who's not a republican Voting in the primaries. Independents, third-party voters and Democrats. And anyone else with a brain.
  • Options
    Free said:

It's everyone who's not a republican Voting in the primaries. Independents, third-party voters and Democrats. And anyone else with a brain.

Hilary is leading.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647
    Free said:

Nun-uh.

No because that is what the odds are!

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663

here are his ideas and how he intends to pay https://berniesanders.com/issues/how-bernie-pays-for-his-proposals/

There are some problems with the proposals. For example on education, his 'speculation' tax is really a trade tax. Let's be clear. So if you go sell 25 shares of Apple to buy a car, buy a house, etc., then you pay a tax (along with capital gains). You will also pay on the buy side as well. Now, they estimate that it will produce 300 billion a year in extra tax revenue. Other estimates half that number. I think Bernie's advisers believe that trading will continue at the current pace. It won't. That defies the laws of economics.

Medicaire for all... There are a ton of base assumptions and some misleading angles in the proposal. For example, an 11% increase in payroll tax on 'business' sounds nice, but payroll taxes get passed on to the wage earner. You pay for it down there. And even if the math did work (not sure if it does), do we really want Medicare as our mandated health insurer? I sure as hell don't. My mom has medicare (she's 82) and it's a total PITA with lots of downfalls. Yes, I pay a lot for my health care, but it's superior than the administration by the government.

There are some interesting ideas. For example, I could get behind community college (2 years) as a base as part of standard education. But I prefer some state tries it first. Why try it federally to start? I do agree that the rate for education loans should be the discount rate. That's essentially what he is saying.

Here's an interesting read: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jan/13/how-much-would-bernie-sanders-health-care-plan-cos/

The one thing that he does not address is the deficit. Hell, many of these taxes should be imposed without any additional benefits, simply to reduce the deficit numbers today.

• Options

Free said:

Nun-uh.

Where is this "majority" you speak of that could've prevented him from winning all these states and delegates so far?
    Well Trump hasn't won a majority in any primary yet, I don't think. And that's before including Dems. He's got 35% of the 40%. Not exactly intimidating right now.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Nun-uh.

Well Trump hasn't won a majority in any primary yet, I don't think. And that's before including Dems. He's got 35% of the 40%. Not exactly intimidating right now.
    What % does Hilary have?
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Nun-uh.

What % does Hilary have?
    Well they are only splitting two ways, so someone wins the majority in each state. I would guess Hillary has maybe 54% of the vote? Just guessing based on the fact that she has scored probably the biggest win in a meaningful state when she demolished Bernie in VA 65-35. I did a quick search and couldn't find an easy vote counter.
  • Options
    And going back historically, it's generally thought that the parties are split 40/40 with the rest independent, disinterested, unaffiliated, etc. That's why I say he has 35 of the 40%
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

There are some problems with the proposals. For example on education, his 'speculation' tax is really a trade tax. Let's be clear. So if you go sell 25 shares of Apple to buy a car, buy a house, etc., then you pay a tax (along with capital gains). You will also pay on the buy side as well. Now, they estimate that it will produce 300 billion a year in extra tax revenue. Other estimates half that number. I think Bernie's advisers believe that trading will continue at the current pace. It won't. That defies the laws of economics.

Medicaire for all... There are a ton of base assumptions and some misleading angles in the proposal. For example, an 11% increase in payroll tax on 'business' sounds nice, but payroll taxes get passed on to the wage earner. You pay for it down there. And even if the math did work (not sure if it does), do we really want Medicare as our mandated health insurer? I sure as hell don't. My mom has medicare (she's 82) and it's a total PITA with lots of downfalls. Yes, I pay a lot for my health care, but it's superior than the administration by the government.

There are some interesting ideas. For example, I could get behind community college (2 years) as a base as part of standard education. But I prefer some state tries it first. Why try it federally to start? I do agree that the rate for education loans should be the discount rate. That's essentially what he is saying.

Here's an interesting read: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jan/13/how-much-would-bernie-sanders-health-care-plan-cos/

The one thing that he does not address is the deficit. Hell, many of these taxes should be imposed without any additional benefits, simply to reduce the deficit numbers today.

Good point.
    From an outsider I just see that this guy has a plan on paper.
    Will it pan out?, who knows.
    At least he speaks from the heart.
    The deficit on the other hand is a hot topic. I remember when your current POTUS administration was gathering world headlines saying "USA will collapse at midnight when the gabillion dollar debt ceiling is breached".
    Nothing happened right?
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Good point.
    The deficit on the other hand is a hot topic. I remember when your current POTUS administration was gathering world headlines saying "USA will collapse at midnight when the gabillion dollar debt ceiling is breached".
    Nothing happened right?
    Not exactly. There is a law on the books about funding the interest on the debt. If the ceiling wasn't extended, the US would technically default on the loans. That would damage bond ratings, raise rates, etc.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Good point.
    Nothing happened right?
    Not exactly. There is a law on the books about funding the interest on the debt. If the ceiling wasn't extended, the US would technically default on the loans. That would damage bond ratings, raise rates, etc.
    Your press made it sound like America would implode and forever be but a moment in time unless the ceiling was raised.
    So what number is this imaginary ceiling now?
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Good point.
    Nothing happened right?
    Your press made it sound like America would implode and forever be but a moment in time unless the ceiling was raised.
    So what number is this imaginary ceiling now?
    I don't know but we have enough headroom for another year or so. It wouldn't implode, but it's silly because we have raise the ceiling because we have to pay the interest. Not raising it is simply the GOP (in this case) trying to use that leverage for something else or to make a statement. In the end, there was no way it wasn't happening.
  • Options
    ^^^
    So is this a yearly thing where your government asks to raise the debt ceiling?
  • Options

^^^

Evidently the one from this past fall should be good until 2017.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016
    mrussel1 said:

^^^

Good timing for the outgoing.
    No wonder the deficit is not addressed by others, just trump.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

^^^

It's not a budgetary issue. The spending was already approved by Congress. That's the irony of holding it up. Congress already approved the spending. It's akin to buying something, then refusing to pay the interest when the credit card statement arrives.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

^^^

It's not a budgetary issue. The spending was already approved by Congress. That's the irony of holding it up. Congress already approved the spending. It's akin to buying something, then refusing to pay the interest when the credit card statement arrives.
    Eventually the funny money (interest) demands payment.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    mrussel1 said:

It all sounds so good.who wouldn't want to pay more for everything?
  • Options
    Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton revealed to be distant cousins as family trees show they share same set of royal ancestors

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3210778/Donald-Trump-Hillary-Clinton-revealed-distant-cousins-family-trees-share-set-royal-ancestors.html
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    The reason why no one can stop Trump is so far none of the leading alternatives are much better.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

The reason why no one can stop Trump is so far none of the leading alternatives are much better.

Awesome...a police state in certain neighborhoods.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    Religious test for simple being.

Its funny Iran gets demonized as state sponsers. Saudi Arabia doesnt for the promotion of the house of Saud's wahhabist sect which seems to be the wellspring of the global terror networks. While also COMPLETELY IGNORING THE POLITICAL goals of many of these groups.

Lets just keep it all focused on the religion as a whole.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    JimmyV said:

This is the same idiot who represents the kind of fundie crybabies who are offended by politically incorrect behavior in movies, music and "liberal" media in general. Who does he think he's fooling? It's the fundies who are offended by sex, violence and foul language in movies last time I checked.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    mrussel1 said:

JimmyV said:

Awesome...a police state in certain neighborhoods.
    yes let's just profile all muslims. that won't piss anybody off. what is the worst that can happen?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."