Options

Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

I can't get over how awesome Daisy Ridley is.
    She's so beautiful, I have a massive crush on her. And she seems like a cool down to earth girl.
    My dream woman.

Agree.
    And she can sing, OMG!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    eddiec said:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-george-lucas-disney-white-slavers-1201669959/

Variety: George Lucas Says He Sold ‘Star Wars’ to ‘White Slavers’

They buy him out for 4 billion and the guy whines. Disney was right not to listen to him on the script because the guy can't make movies anymore. He had his creative peak a long time ago. The last movie he did that was decent was 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He had 16 years to come up with something for Episode 1 and he gave us that? All credibility lost.

And he was only a producer/writer on that Indy, not the director. I think we can go back further to find something decent he did, haha.
  • Options
    Someone has managed to obtain photos of Luke at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfi0fhBD-9o
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Interesting theory....

"Luke is in exile and he is protecting the Sith tomb from the Knights of Ren (mostly Kylo Ren because he is half Skywalker, son of Han and Leia) who is being guided through the dark side of the force by Supreme Leader Snoke aka DARTH PLAGUEIS (most likely through a physical consciousness). Kylo Ren is obsessed with Vader's legacy and finding Luke and the tomb so that he can bring the Sith back to dominance and become Sith himself. However, Kylo was once a student of Luke's Jedi order. The weapon he is after is not Anakin/Luke's lightsaber, it's actually Rey's staff. The staff is the Sith artifact and weapon of Darth Plagueis, which is needed to gain access to the tomb so Plagueis can be resurrected in his own body (Palpatine kept his ashes in two big vases seen in Episode III) and finally rule after being betrayed and murdered by Palpatine. The staff was sent off with Rey after the Knights of Ren destroyed Luke's Jedi order. That's why she's on Jakku, a baron desert planet with little connection to anywhere else, he knew they'd be hard to locate there. She does not remember her past or her heritage until she connects with the force through a vision, Maz and Leia play a part in this. Luke lost everything and many padawans were killed in the raid and his guilt is immense. The only way he could keep the Sith from returning was sending the key to the tomb (the staff) to the opposite end of the galaxy with Rey (his daughter) while he lives in exile watching over the Sith tomb. Stay tuned."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Luke-Skywalker-Looks-Like-Bearded-Recluse-Star-Wars-7-69578.html
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    interesting reads but i dont think they would be predictable somehow but i look forward to 2017 for the next one and i hope its just as good if not better than the force awakens
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-7-Who-Rey-Was-Left-Jakku-With-103397.html

This article, what if Rey was abandoned on Jakku in the arms of this mean Unkar Plutt character by Kylo Ren or one of the other First Order people and not by Luke as has been speculated.
    What if she was dumped there as they saw her as a threat if she were to continue her training under Luke. Maybe she wasn't killed when that could have been an easier choice for Snoke and his followers, maybe Kylo didn't have the heart to kill his cousin if she is his cousin. Maybe he wasn't as evil then when he dropped her there so he didn't kill her like he did his father.

Comments:

Plut is this generations Obi Wan. Watching over Rey (Luke) to protect her from being found. He may not be particularly nice but he is fulfilling his part of a bargain. His plan to steal BB8 probably had more to do with protecting Rey from the First Order than anything nefarious. He didn't order Rey killed or harmed so that leads me to believe he is not as bad as he pretends to be.

Seems like she's definitely a Skywalker, whether from Luke or Leia, I don't know. Maybe she was at the Jedi Academy when Ben Solo was there and they had a connection (or he felt like killing children was just too evil at the time) so he spared her, wiped her memories, and dumped her on Jakku to keep her away from Snoke and Luke, so she could live without causing him trouble later.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
  • Options
    my daughter has a collection of bb8 things already she absolutely loves it
    and how bb8 shows the thumbs up to fin with a lighter she thought it was classic
    i had to laugh as well....
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

my daughter has a collection of bb8 things already she absolutely loves it
    and how bb8 shows the thumbs up to fin with a lighter she thought it was classic
    i had to laugh as well....

That was cool, everyone laughed in the cinema.

Here is an interesting theory from a fan as to what the awakening is....

My (totally baseless and ill informed) thought is that the "awakening" described by Supreme Leader Snoke, and uhhh the movie's title also, was perhaps caused by something Luke did or is doing at the temple. Why start fresh and train new padawans (who could also pull a Ben Solo-esque stunt) when you can do some stuff at the temple and make them awaken on their own? Keeping it out of the hands of the First Order is just a bonus.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3703997

I reckon that is plausible, maybe the first jedi temple contains hidden information as to how to awaken force powers within force sensitive beings across the galaxy, which may explain why Rey all of a sudden gains these jedi powers.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    New episode of collider Jedi council with special guest, director Kyle Newman
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/NaeF0VD5Ayg
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    I thought that I knew my Star Wars stuff. These theories are making me scratch my head haha
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    You should watch the Jedi council videos. They really get into it and on why some theories are likely and some aren't.
  • Options
    halloweenhead95halloweenhead95 Croatia Posts: 240
    I have watched it in the cinema last week, without watching any of the previous SW movies! :)
    Loved it! In the next few days I will watch all previous parts
    2014: Trieste, Italy 06-22
    2018: Padova, Italy 06-24
    2022: Imola, Italy 06-25
  • Options
    Leave episodes 1,2 and 3 until after you see 4,5 and 6.
    The prequels are just terrible but better seen after the original trilogy.
  • Options
    The prequels are indeed bad when compared to Episodes 4-6. However, Episode 3 is excellent IMO
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

• Options
    Yeah Sith is easily the best of the prequels.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,434
    Saw the movie a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it (even though he "Abramsed" all over it from the first shot, lol. Where's my glamour shot of the Star Destroyer after the pan to the planet, lol?!?).

However, it's interesting to note that I was "spoiled" (my own speculation played a big part, lol) moreso from the merchandising campaigns than I was by any trailers or tv spots.

I was pretty sure Han would die somehow when a friend told me he'd bought the Millennium Falcon for his son, and it came with Chewie and Finn, but no Han. (I completely agree with others that Leia hugging Rey instead of Chewie robbed that moment of some serious emotion. I also saw Han fighting his death, as there seemed to be some struggle with the lightsaber, Han was prepared to take it, just not through the chest, I thought.)

I was again "spoiled" by a Duracell commercial that shows the little sister (in a Rey costume) using the Force (alongside her clearly Jedi brother, lol), which led me to speculate that she was the new Force-user, which turned out to be true. Finn's shown no Force abilities (seeming aptitude with a lightsaber notwithstanding, lol), though all the ads I saw pointed to him being the one "awakened" (which he was, in a technical sense, when his Stormtrooper brainwashing snapped, lol).

Expect to go for my second viewing in the next couple weeks (finishing getting my fill of Hannibal, then on to a full rewatch of all the Star Wars movies), thanks to all for pointing out some subtleties to watch for, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,986

agreed but i've heard the fan edits of the prequels are ok.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited March 2016
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options

Okay, I need to vent this somewhere. I was talking with a girl relative yesterday about Star Wars. She is seeing it tonight. She said they should have gotten a prettier girl back then for the 70's movies to play Princess Leia instead of Carrie Fisher. She simply did not think she was that pretty. I disagree. Anyone else with me on this? I think Carrie had that Stevie Nicks quality going on in the face with the huge brown doe eyes that have depth. And the discipline it would have taken to look good in the Jabba the Hut bikini scene. She did give her credit for that. This comes from a girl who thinks that Blake Lively is the most beautiful girl ever. Can anyone else help me define the problem here or explain it better?

Anyway, this girl relative is always very nice, but also mainly on the surface of things. She is just one of many watching the current movie because its a fad at the moment--never truly understanding the real importance behind it.

But it still irritates me to hear another put down a gorgeous actress and nitpick.

I think Carrie Fisher was very pretty back in the day.
    I would date her in a heartbeat.
    She has a funny kick arse personality too.
    I didn't know who Blake Lively was until I Google searched her, Carrie is WAY prettier.
  • Options

Okay, I need to vent this somewhere. I was talking with a girl relative yesterday about Star Wars. She is seeing it tonight. She said they should have gotten a prettier girl back then for the 70's movies to play Princess Leia instead of Carrie Fisher. She simply did not think she was that pretty. I disagree. Anyone else with me on this? I think Carrie had that Stevie Nicks quality going on in the face with the huge brown doe eyes that have depth. And the discipline it would have taken to look good in the Jabba the Hut bikini scene. She did give her credit for that. This comes from a girl who thinks that Blake Lively is the most beautiful girl ever. Can anyone else help me define the problem here or explain it better?

Anyway, this girl relative is always very nice, but also mainly on the surface of things. She is just one of many watching the current movie because its a fad at the moment--never truly understanding the real importance behind it.

But it still irritates me to hear another put down a gorgeous actress and nitpick.

Women can have a totally different perspective from us guys on many things. When it comes to Carrie, I think she was attractive back in the day. Thoughts_Arrive and I were talking earlier on here about our crush on Daisy Ridley haha.

Carrie wasn't drop dead gorgeous or anything, but I think she fit the look of Leia perfectly. I just wonder who your relative would choose to play Leia other than Carrie. Not many options back in the 70's.

But like I said, women tend to have different opinions on looks of people. That's all it is I think.

• Options
    We all have different tastes, my friend thinks Gwendoline Christie aka Captain Phasma is prettier than Daisy Riddley who he thinks is just a girl next door type.
    Carrie Fisher when she was young had a pretty face, I think she was drop dead gorgeous.
  • Options
  • Options
    halloweenhead95halloweenhead95 Croatia Posts: 240

Yeah, a lot of people told me exactly that :)
    Will watch it in that order!
    2014: Trieste, Italy 06-22
    2018: Padova, Italy 06-24
    2022: Imola, Italy 06-25
  • Options
    Thank you Thoughts_Arrive and Pearl34Jam for your input. It really is just a matter of taste isn't it? Leia and Rey would have to be more of the girl next door type anyway, than super model and one-dimensional looking, because they have so many skills, royal jedi blood, and personality--they can do it all. Cheers to those kick-ass female characters!!
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

Thank you Thoughts_Arrive and Pearl34Jam for your input. It really is just a matter of taste isn't it? Leia and Rey would have to be more of the girl next door type anyway, than super model and one-dimensional looking, because they have so many skills, royal jedi blood, and personality--they can do it all. Cheers to those kick-ass female characters!!

I think an argument could be made that Ridley gave the best performance ever in a Star Wars movie.
  • Options
    An interesting theory as to why Rey is not Luke's daughter:

"The most glaring is Chewbacca’s behavior at the end of “The Force Awakens.” His best friend — and the man he owed a life debt to — is dead. Yes, time passed between the end of the Starkiller Base battle and Rey leaving to find Luke, but still. What would cause the Wookiee to go with this scavenger? One answer would be the life debt transferred from father to daughter. There is also Han’s reaction to hearing Rey’s name for the first time, as if that was a name he hadn’t heard in a long time. Finally, there is Kylo Ren’s suspiciously violent reaction when a minion tells him girl helped Finn and BB-8 escape from Jakku."

Read more: http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-trying-a-too-hard-to-make-us-think-reys-dad-is-redacted
  • Options
  • Options
    the scene with kylo ren, fin and rey fighting towards the end has profound meaning for me and was very emotional for me for some reason was really lifeless at one stage.....