Options

Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

Comments

• Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    edited December 2015
    Thoughts_Arrive-he has tears in his eyes with Rey cos he's just figured out how strong she is in the Force. He thought he'd be able to go into her mind and take what he wants. Big mistake. When she then reaches into his and goes right to his deepest fear, that he'll never be as strong as Vader, she owns him for the rest of the film.

This is pushed home further during their duel. As soon as he says I can teach you the ways of the force, she remembers Maz's words about the force 'close your eyes, let it in feel it around you'. That little moment of calm fighting Ren, she opens her eyes and then totally kicks his ass. He's trained but she's far stronger.
    Post edited by eldarion75 on
  • Options
    -this also raises the question, has she been trained before as a child and his mind probe broke whatever seal on her memory put there by Luke? It would make sense that things like the mind trick on the storm trooper and force grabbing the lightsaber come so apparently easy to her
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,189

-this also raises the question, has she been trained before as a child and his mind probe broke whatever seal on her memory put there by Luke? It would make sense that things like the mind trick on the storm trooper and force grabbing the lightsaber come so apparently easy to her

Yes, I believe she was there with Luke and Cousin Kylo training as a young child. Kylo goes terrorist, comes back to kill all of Luke's padewon's, but Rey is moved to Jakku before the carnage. Did Luke move her? Did Kylo spare her because they are cousins?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,623
    So dude at work floated the theory that Rey is Leia's daughter but not Han's and that she left her on Jakku after dude went nuts. Satisfies the connection to the force and Luke, along with Kylo. I kind of like it. Not sure if this has been mentioned here.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,391
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

I have a theory on how his arm got cut off, I reckon he faced Snoke and came off second best. No way Kylo was strong enough to beat Luke.

I think you might want to go back and watch the original trilogy, or at least the last 20 minutes or so of The Empire Strikes Back.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JTH said:

I have a theory on how his arm got cut off, I reckon he faced Snoke and came off second best. No way Kylo was strong enough to beat Luke.

I think you might want to go back and watch the original trilogy, or at least the last 20 minutes or so of The Empire Strikes Back.
    HAHA
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    I don't buy the Rey being leias daughter by Han or anyone else bit at all. There's just too much against it. She keeps referring to her as the girl for one, repeatedly laments the loss of her son yet no mention of a daughter, which she would have done with Han especially after not having seen Han for years.

Says In the opening crawl Leia is desperate to find Luke, they eventually find the map to Luke, yet she sends Rey, with the lightsaber. Why would he come back out of hiding for a random girl? Leia herself would have a hard time convincing him to come back. Here's an idea. Send his daughter. It's time.

He hid one part of the map with R2 and the other with the old man. They'd know the time to come get him and how to come get him.

She's Lukes daughter.
    Ps-Rey starts to cry when he takes his hood down. And he looks freaked out. It's not for seeing his own lightsaber. The daughter he hid for her own protection has come to find him.
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    I know I'm late to the discussion but I just saw it last weekend and it was excellent. The plot was very well done and the graphics were awesome.

And I totally knew that they were gonna leave us hangin at the end with Luke finally appearing. As many have said, Rey has to be his daughter. It wouldn't make any sense if she wasn't.

JJ delivered and it was well worth the hype IMO.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i dont know if anyone has mentioned this before so pardon me if so
    but anyway i was thinking what if han solo gave away the map without
    knowing, when his son killed him, and rey has walked into a trap and luke
    is a clone and she and chewy are in danger and the real luke knows and
    allowed it to happen without warning her bc she needs to be tested for
    her powers
  • Options

How Kylo Ren got Vaders helmet. Didn't know about these clips.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=DxEKfNmf2cA
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

i dont know if anyone has mentioned this before so pardon me if so
    but anyway i was thinking what if han solo gave away the map without
    knowing, when his son killed him, and rey has walked into a trap and luke
    is a clone and she and chewy are in danger and the real luke knows and
    allowed it to happen without warning her bc she needs to be tested for
    her powers

Good setup for a spin off expanded universe book. Bit too convuluted for the films story though.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-george-lucas-disney-white-slavers-1201669959/

Variety: George Lucas Says He Sold ‘Star Wars’ to ‘White Slavers’

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I liked it in IMAX
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,327
    Hobbes said:
    Not sure how much you can believe in a story that includes the line “Episode VI: The Empire Strikes Back”... :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,391
    goldrush said:

Hobbes said:
    Not sure how much you can believe in a story that includes the line “Episode VI: The Empire Strikes Back”... :)
    Haha. Totally missed that. Well, I only skimmed the article. A friend yesterday told me about this theory and so I found the first link to share here. There were others.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    JTH said:

Yes, I know, Vader cut his hand off, not his entire arm though....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-george-lucas-disney-white-slavers-1201669959/

They buy him out for 4 billion and the guy whines. Disney was right not to listen to him on the script because the guy can't make movies anymore. He had his creative peak a long time ago. The last movie he did that was decent was 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He had 16 years to come up with something for Episode 1 and he gave us that? All credibility lost.

• Options

I'm a 38 year old man, and I'm very certain I would have started bawling like a child if they showed Leia hugging Chewie after Han got killed.

100% certain.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840

I'm a 38 year old man, and I'm very certain I would have started bawling like a child if they showed Leia hugging Chewie after Han got killed.

100% certain.

Yeah, I thought that was the scene where they really dropped the ball.

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Disney is the worst. Way too much advertising for this film. Everything on the face of the earth wanted a piece of the Star Wars pie. How the hell is there a connection between Star Wars and automoblies or cell phone carriers plans? It's just plain stupid. Disney whored it out.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

100% certain.

I did bawl like a baby a lot during my first time seeing this, but especially the scene where they do hug when she comes off the transport and sees Han and Chewie for the first time.

Floods of tears.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    edited December 2015

JTH said:

What makes you think he lost his entire arm at some point? To the best of my recollection, we only see his cybernetic hand, not his whole arm.
    Post edited by JTH on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    He cut off Lukes forearm. That's all.
    Post edited by eldarion75 on
  • Options

100% certain.

Same here.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    JTH said:

JTH said:

What makes you think he lost his entire arm at some point? To the best of my recollection, we only see his cybernetic hand, not his whole arm.
    I thought I saw more than just a hand being robotic.
    After Vader severed his arm in Ep5 he gets it fixed and it looks like a normal hand, now it is skeletal?
  • Options
    I can't get over how awesome Daisy Ridley is.
    She's so beautiful, I have a massive crush on her. And she seems like a cool down to earth girl.
    My dream woman.
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102

I can't get over how awesome Daisy Ridley is.
    She's so beautiful, I have a massive crush on her. And she seems like a cool down to earth girl.
    My dream woman.

Agree.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    That final scene, in the feels, so beautiful, I can't forget it. Goosebumps.
    Magical but sad at the same time. You can see the pain in Luke's face, in his eyes.
    That Luke's theme music at the end is epic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBUlKgsNK8
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    Getting emotional listening to the soundtrack on YouTube, Rey's theme is so beautiful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YcCLaTnBE&list=PLWKXJQUwVcfexiFdxZDrFGCx7RGbsuQUV&index=2