Options

Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

Comments

• Options
    ckravitz said:

JimmyV said:

Just saw it for the second time. Definitely looks like a grave Luke is standing next to at the end. Great hearing both Alec Guinness and Ewin McGregor in the vision/memory montage.

Can't wait for Episode 8!

I didn't hear that? Which scene?

In her force flash back/flash forward you hear Alec Guiness' obi wan say 'Rey?' And then just as the vision ends you hear Ewan mcgregors obi wan say 'these are your first steps'

Hinting slightly that she may be a descendant of obi wan

I still maintain she's Lukes daughter tho.
    Interesting thought. Add in the fact that it was Obi Wan that initially gave Luke that lightsaber and now Rey is giving it it back to him, perhaps that Rey is Obi Wan's daughter will be the twist since we are all expecting her to be a Skywalker or Solo.
    This bothered me too because Lukes first Saber was blue. He lost that one along with his hand though in Empire. He had a green one during Jedi so, where does this blue one come back from?!?
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

ckravitz said:

JimmyV said:

Just saw it for the second time. Definitely looks like a grave Luke is standing next to at the end. Great hearing both Alec Guinness and Ewin McGregor in the vision/memory montage.

In her force flash back/flash forward you hear Alec Guiness' obi wan say 'Rey?' And then just as the vision ends you hear Ewan mcgregors obi wan say 'these are your first steps'

Interesting thought. Add in the fact that it was Obi Wan that initially gave Luke that lightsaber and now Rey is giving it it back to him, perhaps that Rey is Obi Wan's daughter will be the twist since we are all expecting her to be a Skywalker or Solo.
    This bothered me too because Lukes first Saber was blue. He lost that one along with his hand though in Empire. He had a green one during Jedi so, where does this blue one come back from?!?
    Maybe it was retrieved by someone close to him.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

ckravitz said:

JimmyV said:

Maybe it was retrieved by someone close to him.
    It was exited out of cloud city. If the story goes your way that will be very interesting!!!
  • Options
    I can picture JJ Abrams and the directors for the next two episodes reading theories online and laughing among themselves. I bet there is a twist no one would have thought of.
    There is more excitement with this trilogy as everyone already knew Anakin would fall to the dark side with the prequels, this one we do not know what to expect, I now know how it was for fans who watched the original trilogy.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    the force awakens must have profound meanings by the looks of everyones reviews.
  • Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 804
    Its nice to see people enjoy this for what it is, a GREAT addition to the Star Wars series. So many other forums are now starting to complain about every little thing. I have seen it twice already and LOVED it. I could not have asked for more. Was it very similar to episode 4? Sure, but in a whole new way. It played its respects to the original trilogy while taking it in an exciting new direction. Might see it again today.
  • Options
    marjen said:

Its nice to see people enjoy this for what it is, a GREAT addition to the Star Wars series. So many other forums are now starting to complain about every little thing. I have seen it twice already and LOVED it. I could not have asked for more. Was it very similar to episode 4? Sure, but in a whole new way. It played its respects to the original trilogy while taking it in an exciting new direction. Might see it again today.

I'm guilty of ripping it too. I will admit it was a very good movie but some things were far fetched...

That being said I can't wait to see it again.

This felt like a Star Wars movie and am looking forward to the next one.

Yes I want my cake and eat it too...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722

marjen said:

I'm guilty of ripping it too. I will admit it was a very good movie but some things were far fetched...

That being said I can't wait to see it again.

This felt like a Star Wars movie and am looking forward to the next one.

Yes I want my cake and eat it too...
    You made the important point. It FELT like a Star Wars movie. Episodes I-III felt disjointed from the originals. They were trying to hard, didn't have much emotion, character, etc. It was almost like Lucas was making them for himself and to use new technology he'd been kicking around. This last one was lighter, a little emotional, more interesting characters (although not developed quite enough) and just more FUN. The whole second trilogy was not particularly fun.
  • Options
    I think a big reason a lot of us are saying that it feels like a Star Wars movie more than the prequels is because JJ shot it on film like the originals. If I'm not mistaken, I think they went digital for the prequels.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,189
    Maz Kanata says the explanation for why she has Luke's first lightsaber/Anakin's first is a question for another time. Its a 2 hr movie, they had to move it along. I think the next two will be longer and address a few things in depth.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,189
    I think Snoke is Darth Pleages. Palpetine didn't finish the job.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

A theory that Rey is Obi Wan's daughter...
    http://hellogiggles.com/theory-rey-star-wars/

i'd say the accent is a reasonable conclusion however, I think the timeline is problematic ... i am guessing that she is supposed to be max 25 years old in this movie ... I would put her more like 18 for the story ... Force Awakens is set like 30 years after jedi ... and obi wan was dead in New Hope ...

as for why the prequels was bad ... it's simple - Lucas jizzed all over it while on some South American spiritual plant induced trip ...
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,623
    polaris_x said:

A theory that Rey is Obi Wan's daughter...
    http://hellogiggles.com/theory-rey-star-wars/

i'd say the accent is a reasonable conclusion however, I think the timeline is problematic ... i am guessing that she is supposed to be max 25 years old in this movie ... I would put her more like 18 for the story ... Force Awakens is set like 30 years after jedi ... and obi wan was dead in New Hope ...

as for why the prequels was bad ... it's simple - Lucas jizzed all over it while on some South American spiritual plant induced trip ...
    Was going to note the same thing about age. No way the timing works for obi wan
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

I saw someone say Luke killed him...before I went into full shutdown mode. Glad that wasn't the case.

Heh. Yeah, same here. Saw someone post something like "I can't believe Luke kills Han..." and that was it for me. I avoided the internet completely for a few days and saw the flick as soon as the opportunity presented itself.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JTH said:

I saw someone say Luke killed him...before I went into full shutdown mode. Glad that wasn't the case.

Heh. Yeah, same here. Saw someone post something like "I can't believe Luke kills Han..." and that was it for me. I avoided the internet completely for a few days and saw the flick as soon as the opportunity presented itself.
    Same here. Going again tomorrow.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,973
    Most people I've encountered who have big problems with TFA have also been longtime defenders of the prequels. One podcast I listen to has a host for whom JJ Abrams has turned into the boogie man. Just unbridled hatred for parts of this film. Like with anything, there are legitimate criticisms that can be made. However, if in one breath you are going to shit on Rey and Kylo Ren and then defend Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar in the next...you have no credibility. In my mind.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I've never gone to a movie on Christmas. That may change tomorrow.

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,391
    Saw it late last night. Fucking awesome! Still processing the movie. Love some of the theories shared here.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    oh wow!!!

NEVER thought of that!!
    There’s a super-intriguing theory floating around that Luke is Rey’s father and Rey’s mother is the secret daughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi (which would make Rey a Skywalker AND a Kenobi, eeeeee!)

http://hellogiggles.com/theory-reys-parents-star-wars/
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,391
    Ha. I was just thinking if Rey was a Kenobi, perhaps Obi-Wan's granddaughter. Fits with the timeline better.
  • Options
    oooh!!! goodie goodie..

the collider jedi Council FA breakdown is here..was waiting for this..its almost 2 hours long and goes into everything best of all theories and the questions we all have! seriously recommend these guys, they know what theyre talking about

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKV_i-QqJdc[/youtube]
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    although i know the spoilers im going to see this on monday my dad is taking me out..
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited December 2015
    Jesus fucking Christ (yeah, merry Christmas, hahaha).
    Just saw it today.... Han Solo couldn't really be dead, could he?!?!?! I am actually a Star Trek person, but Han Solo is the main reason (by far) that I also like Star Wars. And all of a sudden I see that he has an honest to god DOUCHEBAG for a son (seriously, liked the movie, but that was the worst unmasking in the history of film!!!), and he DIES?! NOOOO! Surely Han Solo returns..... right? RIGHT??? :confounded:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    One problem with Rey being either a Solo or a Skywalker...when we see her abandoned on Jakku, it is the Simon Pegg CGI junker alien holding her arm. You can hear the voice. That isn't like leaving baby Luke with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru or giving baby Leia to Jimmy Smits. That is abandoning a child in some remote junk yard outpost. I don't buy that as something one of our heroes would do.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    For her own protection you would. I'd say the falcon being left there was part of the bargain or like a down payment. Han and leia both seem to know her also if you watch really closely.
  • Options

For her own protection you would. I'd say the falcon being left there was part of the bargain or like a down payment. Han and leia both seem to know her also if you watch really closely.

I agree about Han & Leia acting like they knew her..... Disagree about your theory regarding the Falcon though, unless Han was keeping the ruse going..... He seemed pretty fired up to find out who had stolen it.
  • Options

oooh!!! goodie goodie..

the collider jedi Council FA breakdown is here..was waiting for this..its almost 2 hours long and goes into everything best of all theories and the questions we all have! seriously recommend these guys, they know what theyre talking about

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKV_i-QqJdc[/youtube]

A comment on the video which seems plausible...

New Theory:What if...Kylo Ren choose the Dark Side to help the Light,so he could get close to Snoke,that's why he is so conflicted and feels the temptation of the light side stronger than the dark.That is why he talks to Vader's helmet saying he will finish what he started. Kylo Ren could actually know who Snoke really is,that he was Palpatine's master,who Plapatine was Vader's master.all these master- apprentice relation between Darth Plagueis-Palpatine,Palpatine -Vader had one thing in common,they killed their own master when they least expected.So...Kylo Ren knows about this threat and turned away from his family to do that,TO BECOME A SITH FULLY AND COMPLETELY YOU HAVE TO SACRIFICE SOMEONE YOU LOVE TO DEATH, IN HIS CASE IT WAS HAN!THATS WHY HE TELLS HAN HE FEELS LIKE HE’S BEING TORN APART INSIDE, BECAUSE HE DOESN’T WANT TO DO IT AT ALL,BUT IT’S THE ONLY POSSIBLE WAY TO BECOME A SITH AND COMPLETE HIS TASK!!!!! KYLO LITERALLY UTTER THE WORDS “WILL YOU HELP ME” TO HAN, AND HAN SAYS HE WILL,WHAT HE’S ASKING IS IF HAN WILL DIE IN ORDER FOR HIM TO COMPLETE HIS TASK.THATS WHY IT LOOKED LIKE HE KNEW WHO REY WAS, BECAUSE HE NEEDS TO PROTECT HER THATS WHY HE OFFERS HER TO BE HER TEACHER, HE NEEDS SOMEONE AS POWERFUL AS REY, IT’LL BE LITERALLY THE DARK SIDE AND THE LIGHT SIDE JOINING UP TO DEFEAT ONE ENEMY TOGETHER AS ONE, WHICH IS BASICALLY WHAT THE FORCE IS.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't all I hoped for. Still miles ahead of any prequel, the first of which left me bitterly disappointed, but not better than any of the OT in my opinion. It was too much of a rehash of Episode IV, and what they didn't take from that they took from the EU. I liked most of the new characters/creatures except this new Snoke guy. The story was pretty lazy, but it was nice execution and felt like a Star Wars movie. I'm really confused as to what's going on politically and how strong the Republic was and how strong this First Order was. And why the rebels were calling themselves the Resistance, when they cut the head off the Empire at Endor. It kind of seemed like nothing much changed after Endor, except the names of the sides fighting. I need to watch it again, a lot of things confused me.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    This is fan made. I think it's great image
    Post edited by eldarion75 on
  • Options
    Compelling evidence that Plageuis is Snoke...

https://youtu.be/vd_8-NCN5CU