Options

Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion with SPOILERS

We definitely need a place to discuss this fantastic movie for those who have seen it.

They definitely found the same magic that the original 3 had. Only dissapointment? Probably Captain Phasma. She seemed to be built up as quite the badass but really had very little to do in the plot. Hopefully we will get more of her in the next one.
looking to hear of the earth
Post edited by Dr.Teeth and the Electric Mayh on

Comments

• Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Saw it yesterday and loved it. The expectations were huge and JJ delivered. Probably my favorite Star Wars since Empire. Still riding the high today. What an emotional rollercoaster.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    Anyone catch how that when Rey and Kylo fought with lightsabers they seemed kind of sloppy, like they were just swinging for the fences at each other? But as this trilogy progresses and they become stronger their fights will be way more kick-ass and edge-of your seat (not that that one wasn't but you know what I mean. More looking like the luke/vader fights). Something I noticed
  • Options

Anyone catch how that when Rey and Kylo fought with lightsabers they seemed kind of sloppy, like they were just swinging for the fences at each other? But as this trilogy progresses and they become stronger their fights will be way more kick-ass and edge-of your seat (not that that one wasn't but you know what I mean. More looking like the luke/vader fights). Something I noticed

Yeah, even Fin held his own for a bit against Kylo. He definitely isn't close to Sith lord status yet
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,977
    I loved every second that Han Solo was onscreen. Felt it was a great swan song for the character. Had a feeling going in this was going to be it for Han, and as the film played out it becomes clear where they were going. He'll be missed going forward but I am so thankful we got what we did. The coolness, the swagger, the banter...easily one of my all-time favorite movie characters.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I was pretty bummed when Han died. I understood why it had to happen for the story, but to me that was what the prequels lacked. The humor of Han and Chewy together as well as humor throughout. But they did a much better job with humor and character building in this one than any of the prequels, so I'm optimistic that the next two are gonna blow us away.

Werent they planning Han Solo spin off movies? I thought this for sure would keep him alive. Perhaps I was wrong.
  • Options
    I know from some interviews over the years that Ford wasn't super eager to play Han again. Killing him off may have been a condition of his agreeing to come back.

There is a Han film in development but the role is being recast. I believe it will be a younger version of Solo, probably pre A New Hope. If they get the casting right that could be very cool. Would love to see how Han and Chewie first met.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

I know from some interviews over the years that Ford wasn't super eager to play Han again. Killing him off may have been a condition of his agreeing to come back.

There is a Han film in development but the role is being recast. I believe it will be a younger version of Solo, probably pre A New Hope. If they get the casting right that could be very cool. Would love to see how Han and Chewie first met.

Yeah, I had forgotten, but Ford was actually vocal about the character being killed off in Return of The Jedi.

My question is who is Rey's father? They make you kind of think she could be Luke's daughter, but she did have a good bond with Han from the start and some of the books actually have Han/Leia having a son and a daughter.
    PJ:

• Options
    What are the best books to read for post return of the Jedi stuff?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,625
    jervin007 said:

JimmyV said:

Yeah, I had forgotten, but Ford was actually vocal about the character being killed off in Return of The Jedi.

My question is who is Rey's father? They make you kind of think she could be Luke's daughter, but she did have a good bond with Han from the start and some of the books actually have Han/Leia having a son and a daughter.
    I mean, I didn't have any doubt leaving the theater that Rey is Luke's daughter, no? The entire story about her family not coming back, being taken away...
  • Options
    Luke is the strongest candidate to be her father right now, but we don't know what other new characters are coming in future episodes. Nor do we know who/what Snoke is, either.

• Options

jervin007 said:

JimmyV said:

I mean, I didn't have any doubt leaving the theater that Rey is Luke's daughter, no? The entire story about her family not coming back, being taken away...
    Yeah, they definitely guide your thinking in that direction. Plus she is a natural pilot, like Luke and Anakin before her.

Curious who the mother may be if thats the case

What are the best books to read for post return of the Jedi stuff?

There are a ton of different stories. Timothy Zahn's Heir to The Empire series takes place after Return of the Jedi and is very good.
    PJ:

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,841
    I absolutely loved it but a few things I had problems with:

-I thought they could have mourned Han a little more. A hug between Chewie and Leia would have been a lot more powerful than the hug between Rey and Leia.

-I know Ren was hit with Chewie's bow but I wish they had injured him more. It seemed a tad far fetched that Rey was holding her own against him.

Other than that I was thoroughly impressed. I'm assuming that the First Order is no longer able to clone and instead get their troopers by abducting children like Finn. Obviously it creates problems as the mental reconditioning seems to happen often as per the scene with Phasma.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,933
    10/10 I couldn't ask for anything more
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    The first order pulling the energy from the sun was really awesome. Whoever came up with that, kudos.
  • Options

The first order pulling the energy from the sun was really awesome. Whoever came up with that, kudos.

Yeah, I thought the scene with Kylo and Han was very powerful. Kylo battling with the light and the dark just as the light from the sun was extinguished
    PJ:

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited December 2015
    Didnt Han and Leia have twins? Rey and Han were finishing each others sentences, she was an excellent pilot and good with mechanics.
    I assumed she was Kylo's sister and Hans daughter.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Didnt Han and Leia have twins? Rey and Han were finishing each others sentences, she was an excellent pilot and good with mechanics.

In the books they had twins but none of those stories are canon anymore. The movies are free to tell their own story.

We thought they might be brother and sister too, but if so why does Han not recognize or know her? And if she is Luke's daughter, would he really abandon her on a desert planet without a Kanobi like figure to watch over her?

I feel like her origin is going to be more complicated.

• Options

Thats definitely one of the theories. From the flashback scene she definitely had images of Kylo's betrayal, which makes me think she was there when he betrayed Luke. Han did seem to have a unique bond with her, and Leia also did at the end. But, her lightsaber was used by both Anakin and Luke before her, so the argument can definitely be made that she is Luke's daughter. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    PJ:

• Options

Han's demise by his son's hand was spoiled for me online, so I rushed out & saw it today before anything else could be ruined.

10/10, I can't wait to see it again...... Hopefully w/ my 8 year old nephew who also loves Star Wars.
  • Options

Han's demise by his son's hand was spoiled for me online, so I rushed out & saw it today before anything else could be ruined.

10/10, I can't wait to see it again...... Hopefully w/ my 8 year old nephew who also loves Star Wars.

Yeah, some dickhead I follow on Twitter posted "Han solo dies" and that was it. I wasn't 100% sure if it was true or not so it wasn't completely spoiled
  • Options

Ohhhhhhh; this could make some sense too
  • Options
    As it was wayyyy better than episodes 1-3 I have some huge problems with this.

Did the whole movie take place in 1 day? Sure seemed like it. That's a lot of stuff happening in ONE day.

Rey never had an inkling of using the force then all of a sudden she could grab the lightsaber away from someone who has been trained?

Fin shouldn't have stood a chance against Kylo Ren and same goes for Rey. All of a sudden a trained jedi can't do anything against a novice?

Phasma is a Captain and she succumbs and lets down the shield very easily. She should have died before letting her whole army be compromised.

The map part at the end. No one else realized that the missing piece was the one that the droid had? Really?

The millenium falcon gets away (again) from the Star destroyer?

Han and Chewie just happen to stumble across the Millenium Falcon out in space?

Rey knows how to fly the Falcon pretty effortlessly?

How many people didn't get off that planet when it imploded?

The whole "resistance" throws a plan together to take out the death star planet in oh, five seconds. "Sounds good! Like the plan! Now let's execute!"

So with all that being said I did enjoy it even though it was predictable. It felt like a Star Wars movie which was good.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,083

Ohhhhhhh; this could make some sense too
    in the books i think they did.

how does kylo ren almost get his ass kicked by a storm trooper who has no training with a light saber?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Wasn't it really similar to a new hope? Pretty much a remake? Loved it but the more I think about it the more I feel like I just watched a remake
  • Options
    There are intentional similarities for sure but I wouldn't call it a remake.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,083

Wasn't it really similar to a new hope? Pretty much a remake? Loved it but the more I think about it the more I feel like I just watched a remake

somewhat yeah

kylo ren was pretty bad ass with his mask on but when he took it off and was ben, he was kinda a "pussy" (except killing his dad part)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

I think Abrams did a bang up job. The writing was great, Chewie's 'lines' were awesome, as were Han's. Sad to see my childhood hero die.... Han Solo was my favorite. What a way to go though.

I've been under the impression since I saw the first trailer that Rey was Han & Leia's daughter. She certainly could be Luke's, idk at this point, all I know is that The Force Awakens is f'ing awesome.
  • Options
    If I was the empire/first order I absolutely would start working on another Death Star. Still the greatest weapon in movie history. That was the only thing to me that echoed a new hope but it didn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Even when I had a feeling Han would kick the bucket, I still teared up because of the great performance by Harrison Ford in that scene and the musical score that accompanied it. The reaction shots of Leia and Chewie just added to the sadness seeing an iconic hero we all grew up watching in 4-6 get killed off. Farewell, sweet prince.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

Yeah, some dickhead I follow on Twitter posted "Han solo dies" and that was it. I wasn't 100% sure if it was true or not so it wasn't completely spoiled
    I saw some dickhead post a screencap of it to piss off a Donald Trump loving troll on George Takei's Facebook page a day after I saw it. I thank my lucky stars that I took the day off to see it before. Two wrongs don't make a right especially since it's something I can imagine a psychopath like Trump doing.