Options

London cancelled

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,605
    Just seeing this now… feeling terrible for all that had tickets.  Both the locals who’ve been waiting for a show and for those who made travel plans…. Hoping no one is out too much money and is able to still enjoy the sights in a fantastic city if you’ve been locked into your travel plans.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 683
    I think the advice would be, going forward, just try to see the shows that are closer to you and don’t make big travel plans.  It’s a gamble and nothing about it is inexpensive.
    That would be a good plan except most of us don’t get “closer” shows from them anymore
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,574
    First things first....people get sick.  Bruce got sick.  The Stones got sick. People are still dealing with long Covid.  But they just put out a great new album, and one they are very energized to play.   Based on recent comments, I still see 1-2, maybe even 3 albums from these guys. At least.   So, it is what it is.  Older immune systems prob need to quit smoking, esp for something like being a singer.  ;)  We all just want them healthy overall. So while this sucks for people who had tickets, they arent 28 years old anymore and arent invincible.  Expect a cancellation every now and again.  They may need to rethink the way they travel, maybe have some lead-time before they play their first gig, after arriving in Europe, etc.  Still too much fun and too much money to be made. 

I still dont think they would ever "quit".  I think they would continue to operate as Pearl Jam, operate the 10C, still tour places they know will sell out and still put out albums and songs.  I still see them doing their own things for a while too. It will probably just look different once they get a little bit older.   

So i dont think this occurrence is any reason to jump to conclusions.  But at the same time, I would not be totally surprised if they altered the way they did things a bit, and so forth. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    benlw86benlw86 Posts: 47
    Yup I think also highly likely that as well as Ed, another bandmate got sick. It doesn't have to be a big worry story, other than Ed got sick, was on recovery, and then passed it to someone else. April/May - everyone in UK was sick, and a lot of COVID won't have been recorded as nobody tests.
  • Options
    desolatejoydesolatejoy London Posts: 317
    Also, are they still selling the merch?  I was in line there and bought it with tons of other folks while this announcement was dropping 

Says on insta they’ll be closing at 5pm today. However, I came out just before 1pm from getting my purchase, & there was no queue outside the building. Could’ve just gone around & straight back in 😬
    Really wasn’t busy at all…
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • Options
    seanclaxseanclax Posts: 411
    D-Day said:
    London sacrificed to save the rest at best.
    would be a one week recovery time after Manchester for Berlin.
    I could handle this
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,679
    edited June 28
    Vedd Hedd said:
    First things first....people get sick.  Bruce got sick.  The Stones got sick. People are still dealing with long Covid.  But they just put out a great new album, and one they are very energized to play.   Based on recent comments, I still see 1-2, maybe even 3 albums from these guys. At least.   So, it is what it is.  Older immune systems prob need to quit smoking, esp for something like being a singer.  ;)  We all just want them healthy overall. So while this sucks for people who had tickets, they arent 28 years old anymore and arent invincible.  Expect a cancellation every now and again.  They may need to rethink the way they travel, maybe have some lead-time before they play their first gig, after arriving in Europe, etc.  Still too much fun and too much money to be made. 

I still dont think they would ever "quit".  I think they would continue to operate as Pearl Jam, operate the 10C, still tour places they know will sell out and still put out albums and songs.  I still see them doing their own things for a while too. It will probably just look different once they get a little bit older.   

So i dont think this occurrence is any reason to jump to conclusions.  But at the same time, I would not be totally surprised if they altered the way they did things a bit, and so forth. 
    I think the altering has already taken place, no?  Fewer cities, less travel, more expensive tickets and shorter, more predictable setlists.  I agree that they probably wont ever completely quit, but they have surely entered their endgame/cruise control era.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    funkyburritofunkyburrito Belfast Posts: 9
    This sucks, wouldn't be surprised if it was Covid. I picked it up while in Dublin and right now I feel like I got hit by a bus.
    If Ed or any of the guys are feeling like I do then I'm not surprised it was cancelled.

I had tickets for the London show too but made the call yesterday that I wasn't gonna make it and to prioritise recovery for Barcelona. Hopefully the guys recover for Berlin and can then rip through the rest of the tour.

For anyone already in London or travelling for the remaining shows, Covid is definitely hitting hard right now so look after yourselves!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,766
    edited June 28
    I got the merch including all 4 prints about 30 minutes before the cancelation. I’m still glad I got what I did and I support these artists. Not their fault it was canceled and they put a lot of work into these. 

Going to see Green Day at Wembley now. Not the same but not bad either. 
    Wow, that’s some positive attitude you have.
    I’d be furious spending £120 on posters for shows that don’t even happen and asking for a refund in that.

For what it's worth, the best PJ poster I own or will ever own is from a cancelled show.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 755
    pdalowsky said:
    Kwieneke said:
    pdalowsky said:
    I got the merch including all 4 prints about 30 minutes before the cancelation. I’m still glad I got what I did and I support these artists. Not their fault it was canceled and they put a lot of work into these. 

Those purchases will unfortunately not support those artists. They make their money on their AP sales, which I expect may be a little tough going. 
    Hopefully there can be something done on PJS side to make sure these artists are paid, especially if APs fall flat 
    If the APs fall flat, thats on the artist and their design, especially for these 4 prints.  The brain toilet mouth poster is one of the worst concert posters I have ever seen.
    would agree normally but there has to be very limited demand for a show that doesnt happen. 

I mean i wouldnt buy that brain one if it was signed by the band as well but thats a side issue
    Maybe I’m crazy but I buy the posters for the artwork. Sure it’s great if it’s also a show I attended but that’s not a big deal for me. The image is what gives me enjoyment. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,256
    This sucks, wouldn't be surprised if it was Covid. I picked it up while in Dublin and right now I feel like I got hit by a bus.
    If Ed or any of the guys are feeling like I do then I'm not surprised it was cancelled.

I had tickets for the London show too but made the call yesterday that I wasn't gonna make it and to prioritise recovery for Barcelona. Hopefully the guys recover for Berlin and can then rip through the rest of the tour.

For anyone already in London or travelling for the remaining shows, Covid is definitely hitting hard right now so look after yourselves!
    Speculation is unhelpful I guess but his covid strain seems to be spreading easily. I had it a couple of weeks ago . it could be even if the first member has recovered its now been passed on to others 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,311
    Vedd Hedd said:

They ain't quitting any time soon. They have a whole organization to take care of. Ed even mentioned in the one interview they have to do shows each year to pay for their warehouse and staff.   They aren't going to start kicking people to the curb while they are still willing and able to be a band.  don't overreact to cancellations.
  • Options
    karl_chihirokarl_chihiro Posts: 437
    edited June 28

I just caught it recently after Jane's addiction show. It was so wonderful that it was worth it. =)
    No, seriously, recovering now and notice that this variant is not so aggressive that it was years ago (in my particular case).
    Hopefully, they can be fine for Barcelona.
    Very sorry for fans in London and speedy recovery to the people that got sick.
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,676
    Wonder if Barcelona 2 starts to sell better if he is cleared for duty and fans from the UK make the trip.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,638
    edited June 28

if you really did it because you wanted to support these artists shouldnt you buy the posters from their own site and not the ones from pearl jam which they make 0 dollars from
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Kwieneke said:
    pdalowsky said:

Those purchases will unfortunately not support those artists. They make their money on their AP sales, which I expect may be a little tough going. 
    Hopefully there can be something done on PJS side to make sure these artists are paid, especially if APs fall flat 
    If the APs fall flat, thats on the artist and their design, especially for these 4 prints.  The brain toilet mouth poster is one of the worst concert posters I have ever seen.
    would agree normally but there has to be very limited demand for a show that doesnt happen. 

I mean i wouldnt buy that brain one if it was signed by the band as well but thats a side issue
    Maybe I’m crazy but I buy the posters for the artwork. Sure it’s great if it’s also a show I attended but that’s not a big deal for me. The image is what gives me enjoyment. 
    Cool for you. But by that there are a million artworks out there by a million artists for a million bands. And the best are the A Nightmare on Elm Street posters removed from music alltogether. 

So, I would think no mater how good the art is arists need to rely also on other targets groups. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,450
    ZoSoTim said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Kwieneke said:
    pdalowsky said:

Same! Only liked two posters in 22 so they were the only ones I got. Both are on my wall - Krakow and the cancelled Vienna
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,450
    Wonder if Barcelona 2 starts to sell better if he is cleared for duty and fans from the UK make the trip.
    Hotels would be a problem though 
  • Options
    seanclaxseanclax Posts: 411
    I always thought these are gonna be the best shows of the tour
  • Options
    Here is a A Nightmare on Elm Street poster for reference. 

• Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

I think the altering has already taken place, no?  Fewer cities, less travel, more expensive tickets and shorter, more predictable setlists.  I agree that they probably wont ever completely quit, but they have surely entered their endgame/cruise control era.
    pjhawks said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

They ain't quitting any time soon. They have a whole organization to take care of. Ed even mentioned in the one interview they have to do shows each year to pay for their warehouse and staff.   They aren't going to start kicking people to the curb while they are still willing and able to be a band.  don't overreact to cancellations.
    Yeah, the altering has taken place a bit.  We are seeing some of that.  But what I mean is...maybe 6-10 years from now, maybe its even a bit more altered to be more like the Fall Leg.  

And I agree they arent quitting any time soon.  I just think they probably need to rethink some of their international travel plans.  Maybe arrive in Europe, then have a week before they play their first gig, etc.  

I'll go back to that quitting smoking thing.  Not so much for the fans, but for the family.  (and for the fans :)  ) 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 755
    ZoSoTim said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Kwieneke said:
    pdalowsky said:

Cool for you. But by that there are a million artworks out there by a million artists for a million bands. And the best are the A Nightmare on Elm Street posters removed from music alltogether. 

So, I would think no mater how good the art is arists need to rely also on other targets groups. 
    You’d have to pay me to hang a fucking Nightmare On Elm Street poster. Lol. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,252
    Edved82 said:
    That's it now for me and Pearl Jam live. It's been a good run but they're too unreliable unfortunately. Wish Eddie a speedy recovery. Hope he's not too rough. 

He was definitely struggling last show and hope he's better soon.

I've followed other bands and cancelations are rare. Strange every PJ tour seems to get impacted lately by illness or bad luck

Probably will have no impact on those $1,000 MSG prices
  • Options
    ZoSoTim said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Kwieneke said:
    pdalowsky said:

You’d have to pay me to hang a fucking Nightmare On Elm Street poster. Lol. 

• Options
    TigaSefiTigaSefi Posts: 279
    I hope the band gets well soon! I am gutted. I had such a good time up in Manchester and was looking forward to it tomorrow night! I even asked work if I could have July 8th and 9th off so I could go to Barcelona but no dice!! Hope they come over again next year.
    London 02 18/09/2009 London Hyde Park 25/06/2010 Arras 03/07/2010 Werchter 04/07/2010 Manchester 21/06/2012 Amsterdam 26/06/2012 Stockholm 07/07/2012 Portland 29/11/2013 Spokane 30/11/2013 Amsterdam 16/06/14 Leeds 08/07/14 London 02 Arena 18/06/2018 London 02 Arena 17/07/2018 London Hyde Park 08/07/2022 London Hyde Park 09/07/2022 Manchester 25/06/2024
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,520
    Edved82 said:
    That's it now for me and Pearl Jam live. It's been a good run but they're too unreliable unfortunately. Wish Eddie a speedy recovery. Hope he's not too rough. 

He was definitely struggling last show and hope he's better soon.

I've followed other bands and cancelations are rare. Strange every PJ tour seems to get impacted lately by illness or bad luck

Probably will have no impact on those $1,000 MSG prices
    The last MSG that came up was north of $1700!
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,549
    At least now @SHZA can co-headline with SZA.
    Sometimes things just fall into place! Just landed at Heathrow 
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 522
    Do we know for sure that Ed still smokes? I honestly don't remember the last show I was at where he smoked on stage. Don't remember seeing it in Canada in 2022, or Vegas/Seattle this year. Has he smoked on stage in recent years?
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    Do we know for sure that Ed still smokes? I honestly don't remember the last show I was at where he smoked on stage. Don't remember seeing it in Canada in 2022, or Vegas/Seattle this year. Has he smoked on stage in recent years?
    It was mentioned in one (or several?) recent interviews where he said he does.  Probably cut back, and not doing it publicly anymore. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission