Cancelled!

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Of course black people can be racist. Why do they think that is so important to address?

Just more of them chipping away at whites being racist as some sort of justification. 
    I was reading a book with a work group as part of E&I events last year and it was making the point and the distinction between discrimination and racism.  And to be racist you had to have power...and society was all about white power so, therefore, blacks could not be racist, but could be discriminatory.  

I found that book equal parts eye opening and frustrating.  And I found that part to be silly as it seemed they were defining a word to what they wanted.  So I don't think it's as cut and dry as you do.
    I might not be cut and dry....just confused maybe

I get the power thing for sure. But blacks can be racist toward asians, hispanics, etc., so we might be arguing semantics.

But yeah...if blacks have animosity toward whites it is more likely because they have suffered racial incidents from whites. It's like saying native americans are racist toward whites.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    There’s a recent history behind the phrase “it’s ok to be white” which probably played into how that poll panned out. 

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/its-okay-be-white

And Rassmussen is right wing but pretends to be legitimate. They used used a question essentially designed to troll, and like the adl link says it was part of a trolling campaign, and then pretend that it’s a valid measurement of attitudes. 
    There’s a recent history behind the phrase “it’s ok to be white” which probably played into how that poll panned out. 

And Rassmussen is right wing but pretends to be legitimate. They used used a question essentially designed to troll, and like the adl link says it was part of a trolling campaign, and then pretend that it’s a valid measurement of attitudes. 
    That was kind of my original point....it's clearly meant to cater to right wingers that don't feel like racism is an issue because it isn't their fault they are white and because black people can be racist.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I had no idea about the phrase being used in that manner...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812

Yeah, it's a ridiculous phrase. My gut reaction is "it's neither 'ok' or 'not ok' to be white." So at my most rigid, I might answer "no."

It's a stupid question. Lots of polls are created with agendas. I doubt Scott Adams put a lot of thought into what, if anything, that means. It was just an excuse to raise his white fist.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    The right is using the CRT argument as a dog whistle. Claiming ridiculous things are being taught to fire up their ignorant white base.

• I had no idea about the phrase being used in that manner...
    Neither had I until this Scott Adams story blew up & I read that AR Moxon piece I linked. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Is this where that white supremacy hand gesture originated? That "ok" one?
    chinese-happy.jpg

he's really fixed on how no one is disagreeing with him....yet millions disagree with him

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889

he's really fixed on how no one is disagreeing with him....yet millions disagree with him
    Does he really believe that millions don't disagree with him.  I would venture to say a minority of people actually agree with him.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    edited February 2023
    Someone's gotta be paying him. He'll get his money for being a martyr rather than for whatever else it is he publishes. Somebody wants a race war.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    I have some Dilbert cartoons from 30 years ago that I cut out of the paper because I thought they were so fitting to my job experiences.

I don't recall politics ever entering his cartoons but I haven't paid much attention to him for several years.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

wtf? indeed!  Crazy talk. Sounds like Adams needs some help.  Maybe a good shrink to get him back in touch with reality.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:

wtf? indeed!  Crazy talk. Sounds like Adams needs some help.  Maybe a good shrink to get him back in touch with reality.

He's a supremacist. He believes the rest of us are the ones out of touch w/ reality.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I think this guy loves the attention he's getting and will parlay this into some kind of grift. Might've been his intention all along. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I think this guy loves the attention he's getting and will parlay this into some kind of grift. Might've been his intention all along. 
    definitely possible...very strange

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    definitely possible...very strange

I didnt listen to his video, but read where he was to have said he knew he would get "canceled " that his career would be over......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    If I saw him walking down the street I'd for sure think he was black...

This weekend we rock Portland
    I watched the video.  There is no way to take it out of context.  The context is he said that crazy shit and thinks that makes him smarter than everyone else.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    I watched the video.  There is no way to take it out of context.  The context is he said that crazy shit and thinks that makes him smarter than everyone else.
    that was my thought as well....he's so confident that it confuses everything

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Poncier said:
    If I saw him walking down the street I'd for sure think he was black...

he's kinda got that whole navin r johnson vibe going on.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    RNC key note 2024?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

He's a supremacist. He believes the rest of us are the ones out of touch w/ reality.

A bit of an egomaniac as well, I would say.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• static111 said:
    He's the white version of Kyrie Irving.
  • static111 said:
    TY.  It's just weird to think the way he does.  You have to be in some sort of bubble where you don't interact with other ethnicities and races.
  • static111 said:
    TY.  It's just weird to think the way he does.  You have to be in some sort of bubble where you don't interact with other ethnicities and races.

It's called racism. He's racist.  

He's still saying he was taken out of context...

static111 said:
    What did Kyrie Irving do?
    Scio me nihil scire

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    What did Kyrie Irving do?

he was kanye before kanye went kanye. flat earther too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14