Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,709
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    I’m going to post here that I think I’m being cancelled because my posts were removed from gun violence thread which is closed for review.   Let’s see, I’ve been called a pc of shit, some kind of brain remark, been accused that all of us jerk each other off, and skippy (which is derogatory) but my post and even Jose’s, which said nothing bad, is removed and theirs remain.  

Can I be cancelled for complaining? 
    You can be cancelled for making personal comments. 
    No, really?  Well I take it very personal that you called me a pc of shit.  Someone flagged it.  Some can give it but just can’t take it.  
    I should’ve  flagged you both.  
    I didn't make a personal comment directly calling you a piece of shit. I made a comment with a blanket statement over a whole group of people just as this message board is full of the same thing calling Republicans every name in the book. 
    I took it personally.  You can’t tell me how I took the statement.  If I voted for Biden I was a piece of shit, that’s exactly what you said.  Now I am going to flag it because you’re so afraid I will.  Dish it out but can’t take it.  
    I'm not afraid you'll flag it. Please do and while you're at it, go through and flag every derogatory negative statement made about those that voted for Trump and Republicans in general. This message board is dedicated to hating the right. 
    Please explain and attempt to convince us that “hate” the right, and/or repubs, why we should like them, or at least tolerate them. What is it about repubs and the right that we should respect? What policies of theirs (you used the wrong ‘there’ in a previous post after criticizing someone for misspelling Brietbart, kinda ironic) could we possibly support that addresses any of the current challenges. I’ll ask you to pick 5 and explain why we should consider them (Obama care passed 13 years ago and we’re still waiting for the repub plan to replace it). Please, give us the reasons to love the right. We’re a patient bunch.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    I’m going to post here that I think I’m being cancelled because my posts were removed from gun violence thread which is closed for review.   Let’s see, I’ve been called a pc of shit, some kind of brain remark, been accused that all of us jerk each other off, and skippy (which is derogatory) but my post and even Jose’s, which said nothing bad, is removed and theirs remain.  

No, really?  Well I take it very personal that you called me a pc of shit.  Someone flagged it.  Some can give it but just can’t take it.  
    I didn't make a personal comment directly calling you a piece of shit. I made a comment with a blanket statement over a whole group of people just as this message board is full of the same thing calling Republicans every name in the book. 
    I took it personally.  You can’t tell me how I took the statement.  If I voted for Biden I was a piece of shit, that’s exactly what you said.  Now I am going to flag it because you’re so afraid I will.  Dish it out but can’t take it.  
    I'm not afraid you'll flag it. Please do and while you're at it, go through and flag every derogatory negative statement made about those that voted for Trump and Republicans in general. This message board is dedicated to hating the right. 
    Please explain and attempt to convince us that “hate” the right, and/or repubs, why we should like them, or at least tolerate them. What is it about repubs and the right that we should respect? What policies of theirs (you used the wrong ‘there’ in a previous post after criticizing someone for misspelling Brietbart, kinda ironic) could we possibly support that addresses any of the current challenges. I’ll ask you to pick 5 and explain why we should consider them (Obama care passed 13 years ago and we’re still waiting for the repub plan to replace it). Please, give us the reasons to love the right. We’re a patient bunch.
    How is this not a hateful statement?

"Please explain and attempt to convince us that “hate” the right, and/or repubs, why we should like them, or at least tolerate them."

Hate is on both sides of the aisle but it hurts those that let politics run their lives. Whether you are right or left, that's not the most important detail of your life unless you make it that way. 

If you and I met in person, you would not know I was more Republican than Democrat. I own a business and offer my services to everyone, left or right, whether I disagree with them or not. When a known Democrat walks into my store, I don't question why I should tolerate them. They are a human being and are allowed to believe what they want. I don't let politics control how I feel about someone. I'm also smart enough to know that if either party had full power, we'd all be in trouble. It takes all kinds to make the world go around whether you want to admit that or not. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    brianlux said:
    So My father was at Woodstock and witnessed this whole thing go down, used to talk about it all the time…Abbie Hoffman jumped up on stage during The WHO’s set, grabbed the mic and started blabbering his nonsence.   Pete Townshend was having nothing of it and “assisted”  that rotten brain off the stage.  Can’t wait to show him this pic….old school Cancelling was much more effective …Rock n Roll!!! 
    this picture is not real.
    Ha, believe what you are told to believe…..I can see how the pic might be altered, but none the less Unlce Pete was having nothin of it and punted that putz off the stage in true Rock n roll fashion…

Let me tell you something about Abbie Hoffman, Linda.  If it were not for people like Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, Bill Zimmerman, and many, many others, I could easily have been drafted into a war that historically is known to have been unjustified and shameful- the war in Vietnam.  That war was ended in large part because of the efforts of these activists and it ended literally days before I was set to be drafted into the arms services (I was not drafted and chose later to serve my country in my own ways including working as a teacher and later doing volunteer work in our community).  Admittedly, as activist Zimmerman put it, "Abbie was a whirling dervish, spewing a constant stream of ideas, some brilliant, some ridiculous..."  Yes, Hoffman was a colorful character and an occasionally somewhat misguided character, but although not all of his ideas were exactly sound, his influence did help lead to the end of that tragic war and led to America becoming a better place.

I hope this helps you to have a more clear understanding of this part of history and if not, to perhaps become a bit more respectful in your posts, or at the very least to become a little more restrained in your unfounded and impetuous criticisms.
    I always pay attention to your Posts Brain since you are reasonably and Kind….But on your reponce to my post I will refer to my father who was actually in Vietnam and injured.   I obviously was brought up differently then most on here. That school of hard knocks upbringing has served me and our family very very well.. Mahalo 

Believe me, Linda, I have respect for your father and the other many soldiers who fought in that war.  My issues has always been with the faulty motivations for that war, not with the soldiers.  I have classmates who did not come home alive from Vietnam, and I have friends who suffered greatly emotionally and physically as a result of that conflict and I have always been supportive of them.  I'm fairly sure Hoffman would say the exact same thing (he, as you likely know, is no longer with us).

This is true the vast majority of the people who struggled to end that war.  Many of them suffered abuse, injury, and/or prison terms as a result of their efforts to resist the war.  I was damn lucky- I was never jailed or clubbed, but was I was there.  I saw it happen and it was not a pretty sight.

So it has never been about us war resistors hating the soldiers or wishing them ill.  Quite the opposite.  
    I would encourage you to read Bill Zimmerman's book, Troublemaker, because he explains all of this better than I ever will.  It's an excellent, well written book on the subject.

Page 1
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,424
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

🤣 just 😂
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

How is this not a hateful statement?

"Please explain and attempt to convince us that “hate” the right, and/or repubs, why we should like them, or at least tolerate them."

Hate is on both sides of the aisle but it hurts those that let politics run their lives. Whether you are right or left, that's not the most important detail of your life unless you make it that way. 

If you and I met in person, you would not know I was more Republican than Democrat. I own a business and offer my services to everyone, left or right, whether I disagree with them or not. When a known Democrat walks into my store, I don't question why I should tolerate them. They are a human being and are allowed to believe what they want. I don't let politics control how I feel about someone. I'm also smart enough to know that if either party had full power, we'd all be in trouble. It takes all kinds to make the world go around whether you want to admit that or not. 
    Do you know of a Brandon Crime family supporter who refused service to a gay person? Wedding cakes or webpage design, for example? Did the right wing SCOTUS not say it was okay for that to happen? Are you okay with that decision, as in if you change your mind about who you might serve, drag queens, say, or someone based on their gender identity, would you like to be able to do that? Are you okay with Roe being overturned? And all the shenanigans that lead up to it with the SCOTUS appointees lying in their senate confirmation hearings?

And I’d bet that if we met in person, I’d know you were a repub if we discussed politics or almost any current events.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Do you know of a Brandon Crime family supporter who refused service to a gay person? Nope.
    Wedding cakes or webpage design, for example? Nope.
    Did the right wing SCOTUS not say it was okay for that to happen? Why would a gay person want someone who doesn't agree with their life decisions to make their wedding cake/web page? That doesn't make sense. Wedding cake, web page designer, these are all artistic skills. If an artist isn't inspired, you probably don't want their services because they could be half assed. Artists need to be inspired and if what you do doesn't inspire them, find an artist who is inspired.
     Are you okay with that decision, as in if you change your mind about who you might serve, drag queens, say, or someone based on their gender identity, would you like to be able to do that? I'm ok with that decision but that doesn't change the fact that I personally would never deny someone service for those reasons.   
    Are you okay with Roe being overturned? Yes. It should be a state by state issue like other laws.
     And all the shenanigans that lead up to it with the SCOTUS appointees lying in their senate confirmation hearings? Sorry that the Republicans outsmarted the Democrats.....

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    Do you know of a Brandon Crime family supporter who refused service to a gay person? Nope.
    Did the right wing SCOTUS not say it was okay for that to happen? Why would a gay person want someone who doesn't agree with their life decisions to make their wedding cake/web page? That doesn't make sense. Wedding cake, web page designer, these are all artistic skills. If an artist isn't inspired, you probably don't want their services because they could be half assed. Artists need to be inspired and if what you do doesn't inspire them, find an artist who is inspired.
     Are you okay with that decision, as in if you change your mind about who you might serve, drag queens, say, or someone based on their gender identity, would you like to be able to do that? I'm ok with that decision but that doesn't change the fact that I personally would never deny someone service for those reasons.   
    Are you okay with Roe being overturned? Yes. It should be a state by state issue like other laws.
     And all the shenanigans that lead up to it with the SCOTUS appointees lying in their senate confirmation hearings? Sorry that the Republicans outsmarted the Democrats.....
    "You're okay with that decision." See? There's the difference. You're okay with legalized discrimination. That makes it difficult for me to respect or like you and the party you support. In fact, I'd rather not like to meet you. And I'm sorry Jack Mack and the Heart Attacks outsmarted the POOTWH deplorable family.

It should be the gay persons decision as to whether the artist is "inspired" and if they give shitty service, I'm sure they'll get poor reviews on Yelp. But they don't get the opportunity to get shitty service and you're fine with that. What a philosophy to live by.

What services or who you might want to deny service to?

As an aside, how would you describe repubs and their current values? Honest? God fearing? Real American values?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    "You're okay with that decision." See? There's the difference. You're okay with legalized discrimination. That makes it difficult for me to respect or like you and the party you support. In fact, I'd rather not like to meet you. And I'm sorry Jack Mack and the Heart Attacks outsmarted the POOTWH deplorable family.

It should be the gay persons decision as to whether the artist is "inspired" and if they give shitty service, I'm sure they'll get poor reviews on Yelp. But they don't get the opportunity to get shitty service and you're fine with that. What a philosophy to live by.

As an aside, how would you describe repubs and their current values? Honest? God fearing? Real American values?
    It should not be a gay persons decision if an artist is inspired by them. 

I've already answered that I wouldn't deny service to anyone, even you. That's the difference. I can tolerate you but you can't tolerate me because you think you're better than me. What a philosophy to live by. You don't know me. You don't know the good that I've done in this world. 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

I've already answered that I wouldn't deny service to anyone, even you. That's the difference. I can tolerate you but you can't tolerate me because you think you're better than me. What a philosophy to live by. You don't know me. You don't know the good that I've done in this world. 
    An artist shouldn't have to be inspired by a person's sexuality to create their art as it relates to wedding cakes and web pages. Typically, wedding cake makers have a portfolio of wedding cakes they've made or ask you basic questions about color, taste, size, number of servings, etc. Do they ask heterosexual clients if their "straight?" Are they then "inspired" by the heterosexualness of the bride or groom? What a ridiculous philosophy. 

I don't think I'm better than you but I am sure as hell a lot more tolerant than you. If I owned a business, I'd tolerate you because I wouldn't ask you your political affiliation. See the difference?

You may have done good in this world but It'll be negated with your purported vote for POOTWH. 

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

An artist shouldn't have to be inspired by a person's sexuality to create their art as it relates to wedding cakes and web pages. Typically, wedding cake makers have a portfolio of wedding cakes they've made or ask you basic questions about color, taste, size, number of servings, etc. Do they ask heterosexual clients if their "straight?" Are they then "inspired" by the heterosexualness of the bride or groom? What a ridiculous philosophy. 

I don't think I'm better than you but I am sure as hell a lot more tolerant than you. If I owned a business, I'd tolerate you because I wouldn't ask you your political affiliation. See the difference?

You may have done good in this world but It'll be negated with your purported vote for POOTWH. 
    I literally just said I wouldn't deny service to you, even knowing who you are and what you vote for. You said the only reason you would be able to tolerate me is because you wouldn't ask about my political affiliation. This proves that you are not more tolerant than I am. 

We are talking about reasons to deny someone a service. Would you deny me a service knowing that I voted for Trump? 

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

I literally just said I wouldn't deny service to you, even knowing who you are and what you vote for. You said the only reason you would be able to tolerate me is because you wouldn't ask about my political affiliation. This proves that you are not more tolerant than I am. 

We are talking about reasons to deny someone a service. Would you deny me a service knowing that I voted for Trump? 

No. But I might charge you triple.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,185
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

No. But I might charge you triple.
    the supreme court said it is my right to do so, so catch me on the wrong day and i would.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,690
    Malroth said:
    There is a lot of hatred on both sides. That is my biggest complaint of trump, he brought hate to the mainstream. but everybody is running with it.
    Bingo.  
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,550
    "both sides" was out the window years ago. 

There's no democrat or liberal equivalent of Trump, MTG, Flynn, etc.

There's no politician on the left stoking anger and hatred like the right is w/ the LGBTQ or CRT or immigration topics. 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

What is 'the right' ?   Like, how do you define 'the right' ?   The 'right' to me used to be conservative politics.  Today, the 'right' is Tucker Carlson, Trumpism, Ben Shapiro, cancel culture, gun nuts.  

When you look at a reaction like Kid Rock shooting a bunch of beer cans because of a Transgender person. Is that what you consider the 'right' ?  Because I do.  That to me is what the 'right' has become of late.  And yeah, I really don't like it.

Kids getting shot up in schools and the only resolution put forth is prayers and thoughts... or put guns in the hands of teachers.  Is that 'the right' ?

Hate is a fairly strong word.. but my goodness.... the garbage that is said by those who represent the 'right' is just completely awful. 

Jan 6th.  Is that 'the right' ? 

Lying through your teeth trying to dupe a population into thinking an election was stolen with zero evidence. Is that 'the right' ? 

Propagating racial stereotypes... is that 'the right' ?

The list honestly goes on and on. 

Not trying to be a doosh, I honestly want to know what conservatives consider the 'right' these days... and for better or worse, you have an idea of a person like me and his view of 'the right' 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

What is 'the right' ?   Like, how do you define 'the right' ?   The 'right' to me used to be conservative politics.  Today, the 'right' is Tucker Carlson, Trumpism, Ben Shapiro, cancel culture, gun nuts.  

When you look at a reaction like Kid Rock shooting a bunch of beer cans because of a Transgender person. Is that what you consider the 'right' ?  Because I do.  That to me is what the 'right' has become of late.  And yeah, I really don't like it.

Kids getting shot up in schools and the only resolution put forth is prayers and thoughts... or put guns in the hands of teachers.  Is that 'the right' ?

Hate is a fairly strong word.. but my goodness.... the garbage that is said by those who represent the 'right' is just completely awful. 

Lying through your teeth trying to dupe a population into thinking an election was stolen with zero evidence. Is that 'the right' ? 

Not trying to be a doosh, I honestly want to know what conservatives consider the 'right' these days... and for better or worse, you have an idea of a person like me and his view of 'the right' 
    More examples for which there’s no equivalent from the left / democrats. 
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Here's the thing too.. like.. for those 'against' the  'left'  or to a similar degree 'wokeness' I generally understand WHY people are against that.  I don't agree with it to a certain degree  (I find common ground there with transgender athletes for example) but while I don't agree with it.. I understand WHY they're against it.   This is vastly due to media propaganda and manipulation. 

That said.. being against the left. I get it.  Being FOR the right....  that's what  I'm trying to wrap my mind around. 

I asked a fellow many years ago who lives in America why or how people support Trump and his explanation was simple...  he said "tribalism."  A mindset where basically *no matter what*... a person was never going to support one side over another.  That's a scary truth. 

So after seeing what has happened to the U.S. in the last 7 years...  does that mindset still exist?  Is it simply tribalism?  I think it plays a huge role, and  I think folks like Trump and Fox are capitalizing the hell of that for money and personal gain.  But the average Joe republican voter... I am beyond curious as to why they still vehemently support Republicans and 'the right.'   

Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Here's the thing too.. like.. for those 'against' the  'left'  or to a similar degree 'wokeness' I generally understand WHY people are against that.  I don't agree with it to a certain degree  (I find common ground there with transgender athletes for example) but while I don't agree with it.. I understand WHY they're against it.   This is vastly due to media propaganda and manipulation. 

That said.. being against the left. I get it.  Being FOR the right....  that's what  I'm trying to wrap my mind around. 

I asked a fellow many years ago who lives in America why or how people support Trump and his explanation was simple...  he said "tribalism."  A mindset where basically *no matter what*... a person was never going to support one side over another.  That's a scary truth. 

So after seeing what has happened to the U.S. in the last 7 years...  does that mindset still exist?  Is it simply tribalism?  I think it plays a huge role, and  I think folks like Trump and Fox are capitalizing the hell of that for money and personal gain.  But the average Joe republican voter... I am beyond curious as to why they still vehemently support Republicans and 'the right.'   

What's your definition of "wokeness", and why are you against it? 

That term has been co-opted by the right (like CRT) to mean anything liberal, which is nonsense. The text book definition of "woke" is nothing to be ashamed of, IMO it's something to aspire to. 

Is there hatred from both sides? Absolutely, but it hasn't been mainstreamed or weaponized from the left / democrats the way it was from the right / republicans (or their respective media).  

My point stands, "both sides" has been out the window for some time now, and I think anyone who suggests the two sides are equal nowadays is abdicating their responsibility to our country and democracy. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I'm not a fan of woke-ness as a term either... but it's here and likely to stay unfortunately. This is my amateur stab at a definition: 

Wokeness is a term created by right wing media and politics to make it easier for them to be 'generally against' the many, many, many things they get angry about. Personally I think the term exists because a lot of people who are against 'wokeness' are also generally dumb. To be very clear here, I'm not basing this opinion on anyone here... I'm basing this on people I know at work and family members. And I generate this opinion based on conversations with these people who are against these things.. but also have no idea about the context, history, and meaning of these things. And I mean NO IDEA. 

I know people in my life who utterly refuse to speak with transgender people to better understand them even though they know some.  But they're quick to send me a link to Ben Shapiro so he can educate me on transgender people.  That makes zero sense to me. To draw a comparison... that's like having a WWII vet available to learn about the war... but instead, choosing to learn about it from a remarkably biased internet person who has a lot to gain and nothing to lose by manipulating a person. I digress... back to woke. 

Gay rights? Call it woke. Trans rights? Call it woke.  Anti-gun violence. Call it woke. Censoring racism. Call it woke. Diversity and inclusion. Call it woke.  Immigration rights. Call it woke.  Holding racists and bigots accountable? Call it woke. Recognizing white privilege and the history behind it. Call it woke. Standing up to police brutality. Call it woke.   You get the idea. 

Each one of those subjects would take years to fully understand and at least a few hours of reading to get a remote idea about it. Most people don't take 20 seconds to figure stuff out themselves. They prefer being told what to think by the talking heads on the screen. 

Personally.. I'm very much FOR these causes if there was a misunderstanding here. But I too still have much to learn about every concept I just raised. (Interesting point... I only recently learned that my country was the first country to adopt multiculturalism as an actual law of the land.  Kind of neat. I didn't know that. They should teach that in school along with history about residential schools.) 

Your point was absolutely bang on though and it's really falling on deaf ears in my opinion.  Both sides have their faults and both sides use the same tactics when it comes to manipulation and pandering.  

But what should be painfully obvious, is that one side is taking those tactics to the harsh extreme.  It's like comparing a soft left hand jab (no pun intended) to a double barreled shot gun blast. 
    Post edited by Parksy on
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    I think we see eye to eye on more than we don't Parksy. 

I would push back against your statement that "both sides use the same tactics when it comes to manipulation and pandering" as I don't think there's a left equivalent of Ben Shapiro, or Tucker Carlson, or Steve Bannon et al, but at this point I'm just repeating myself. 

I would implore you to look up the text book definition of Woke rather than accept the blanket use of it that's been co-opted by the right, but I digress. 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,424
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Yes, this is a scary truth.  One tribe has to come out on top sooner or later (and I’m not talking elections) which should tell us where we are headed.  In the past I could remain in the middle but it doesn’t exist anymore.  
  • Options
    I think we see eye to eye on more than we don't Parksy. 

I would push back against your statement that "both sides use the same tactics when it comes to manipulation and pandering" as I don't think there's a left equivalent of Ben Shapiro, or Tucker Carlson, or Steve Bannon et al, but at this point I'm just repeating myself. 

I would implore you to look up the text book definition of Woke rather than accept the blanket use of it that's been co-opted by the right, but I digress. 
    I agree.  My point was more based on Canadian politics and American media. During the pandemic I watched too much CNN. lol 

What became obvious to me was the 'pundits' if you will were all playing the same game. The right obviously took it to a different and dangerous level, but to me, it was similar tactics. 

I'll see your Tucker Carlson and raise you a Don Lemon.

I'll see your Jesse Watters (sp?) and raise you a Rachel Maddow. 

Different extremes yes.  But biased agenda based entertainment media empires masquerading as 'news' they all are. 

Here in Canada our two opponent federal politicians Trudeau (left) and Polievre (right) both claim the same things against each other. "He's trying to divide the country!"    They're both correct.  It's ironic and stupid. 

With regards to the general public though.. I find that a lot more left leaning people are able to see the faults in their own political spectrum and media choices as opposed to right leaning people. 

The film "Don't Look Up" ... even though it will be blasted by right as woke bullshit (lol)  was actually a very entertaining satirical look at how those on the right are so easily duped and manipulated. It also stood as a neat warning to show that no matter what side of the fence you're on... any person can be manipulated depending on the circumstances. 

Gosh... I would love to be in a room with Trump supporters watching that movie. And in the end look at them all and be like: "OK... so you DO understand that in this context... you are ALL the people who were told not to look up and blindly listened?" lol 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    My point stands... no one on the left (whether it's politics or the media) has campaigned on or weaponized hatred and fear to the extent that those on the right have. 

"Both sides" was out the window years ago. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706
    Malroth said:
    There is a lot of hatred on both sides. That is my biggest complaint of trump, he brought hate to the mainstream. but everybody is running with it.
    My biggest complaint is hearing that both sides are the same. 
  • Options
    My point stands... no one on the left (whether it's politics or the media) has campaigned on or weaponized hatred and fear to the extent that those on the right have. 

100%   and I'll get push back on this... but it's for that reason why even the most conservative Republican should now vote Democrat in my personal opinion.   Message needs to be sent as a society that we're going down a real bad and violent path.  

Let's right the ship and get back to civilized debate.  

I use a lot of movie references lol ... but in the movie Jack Reacher...  Reacher points out that statistically, cops generally vote Republican.  That's true.  Cops also look out for one another. Also true. 

So when you look at January 6th... why it happened, how it happened... all of which should be painfully obvious and leads right back to the leader of the Republican party... this man is responsible for cops being beaten. This man (and party, and right wing media) is responsible for cops losing their lives. I mean... how much worse in that regard does it need to get? All in all.. they are culpable and complicit.  And I don't expect Republicans to have any empathy with regards to shootings, and gay rights, trans rights etc.  But it has actually gotten so bad that the things they used to believe in... are completely tossed out the window. 

In 2019,  fact check me here, but in 2019 didn't Trump basically admit that he was open to using the American military as paid mercenaries in Saudi Arabia?  The Republican President? REALLY?!   That's beyond absurd. But alas, here we are. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:

In 2019,  fact check me here, but in 2019 didn't Trump basically admit that he was open to using the American military as paid mercenaries in Saudi Arabia?  The Republican President? REALLY?!   That's beyond absurd. But alas, here we are. 
    I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

What is the gain to legalizing discrimination that would take us back to pre-civil rights era? 
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    Malroth said:
    My biggest complaint is hearing that both sides are the same. 

one side may have more hatred ;) both sides have too much
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    I still have some issues with both sides but you won't hear me say that about much these days.  The Biden administration has done a lot of good work on  a number of fronts.  My biggest complaint is that he and the current admin are weaker on environment that I would like to see but then, who isn't? LOL.
    The right, on the other hand, have stood by Trump (mostly T, but also other unsavory characters like DeSantis) despite all all of his un-redeemable and despicable characteristics to the point of tipping the scale to where there is little reason (I believe) to talk about "both sides" as if they are comparable.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,124
    brianlux said:
    I still have some issues with both sides but you won't hear me say that about much these days.  The Biden administration has done a lot of good work on  a number of fronts.  My biggest complaint is that he and the current admin are weaker on environment that I would like to see but then, who isn't? LOL.
    The right, on the other hand, have stood by Trump (mostly T, but also other unsavory characters like DeSantis) despite all all of his un-redeemable and despicable characteristics to the point of tipping the scale to where there is little reason (I believe) to talk about "both sides" as if they are comparable.

I see the dismissal of the "both sides" argument as another wedge to divide us all.  It's literally right in front of our faces that both sides could actually agree upon something and most will have none of it.