Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    brianlux said:
    Those who cancel are considered "woke". Woke goes to FL to die.

I wouldn't mind seeing both those terms- "woke" and "cancelled"- simply die and go away.  They have both been co-opted and re-co-opted and re-re-co-opted to the point of being meaningless. 
    And I'm not saying they should be banned or cancelled (lol), but at some point they become useless barbs rather than a reflection of studied and critical thinking.  "Politically Correct", for example, has pretty much died off because it has become cliched and useless.  All of these popular buzz words will have little or no meaning in the historical near future. 

I'm also not saying a certain amount of colloquialism in language is a bad thing.  I can dig.  It's cool. Those are phrases that have stuck around and work well in certain circumstances.  But in general, I think it would be more useful to improving communication if being  articulate became more popular, attractive, and common.  Language is degrading to the point of becoming vague or even base.

people (my wife) always get confused when I say "I'm down". they're like "soooo...does that mean you're in, or..not?". 

it's short for "down with that" folks, which means you like it/are interested! come on! 

The early 80's was when I first heard the phrase, "Get down!"  Someone said that to me very emphatically so I obliged and fell to the floor like one of those push button finger puppets- wham!-   right down on the ground. 
    Git down!
    *******************************************************************************
    As far as the personal stuff- I'm not taking sides.
    "If you hate something, don't you do it too."  
    All I've got to say about all that is this: love is better than hate.  
    "Throw your hatred down."

Or keep getting threads locked.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    i heard yall are supposed to cancel lizzo now.
    I have to say that lizzo weight shaming people seems hypocritical
    That's not the worst of it if the allegations are true.   Funny how all this comes out after she doubles down on supporting the drag and LGBTQ communities though.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358

Lizzo says she's 'not the villain' after her former dancers claim sex harassment
    Today

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lizzo said Thursday that she's “not the villain” that three of her former backup dancers falsely accuse her of being in a sexual harassment lawsuit.

The civil lawsuit filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court claims Lizzo pressured the dancers to engage with nude performers at a club in Amsterdam and shamed one of them for her weight gain before firing her.

“I am not here to be looked at as a victim, but I also know that I am not the villain that people and the media have portrayed me to be these last few days,” Lizzo said in a statement posted on social media. “I am very open with my sexuality and expressing myself but I cannot accept or allow people to use that openness to make me out to be something I am not.”

Plaintiffs Arianna Davis, Crystal Williams and Noelle Rodriguez made numerous allegations including sexual, religious and racial harassment, disability discrimination, assault and false imprisonment. They accuse the Grammy winner and her production company of creating a hostile work environment.

The legal complaint seeks unspecified damages from Melissa Viviane Jefferson, known professionally as Lizzo, her production company Big Grrrl Big Touring, Inc., and Shirlene Quigley, captain of the performer’s dance team.

“These last few days have been gut wrenchingly difficult and overwhelmingly disappointing. My work ethic, morals and respectfulness have been questioned. My character has been criticized,” Lizzo said in the statement. “Usually I choose not to respond to false allegations but these are as unbelievable as they sound and too outrageous to not be addressed.”

She said the “sensationalized stories” were coming from former employees “who have already publicly admitted that they were told their behavior on tour was inappropriate and unprofessional.”

The court filing claims that after performing a concert in Amsterdam, Lizzo and her crew attended a sexually themed show at a club in the city’s notorious Red Light District where “Lizzo began inviting cast members to take turns touching the nude performers” and led a chant pressuring Davis to touch the breasts of one of the nude women performing at the club.

“Finally, the chorus became overwhelming, and a mortified Ms. Davis acquiesced in an attempt to bring an end to the chants,” the complaint states. “Plaintiffs were aghast with how little regard Lizzo showed for the bodily autonomy of her employees and those around her, especially in the presence of many people whom she employed.”

Lizzo, who routinely champions body positivity, is also accused of calling out Davis for her weight gain after accusing the dancer of not being committed to her role. Davis was fired in May for recording a meeting during which Lizzo had given out notes to dancers about their performances, according to the complaint.

“Sometimes I have to make hard decisions but it’s never my intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable or like they aren’t valued as an important part of the team,” Lizzo said. “I’m hurt but I will not let the good work I’ve done in the world be overshadowed by this.”

Quigley, who served as a judge on the singer’s reality show “Lizzo’s Watch Out for the Big Grrrls,” is accused in the lawsuit of pushing her Christian beliefs onto dancers. The court filing claims Quigley referred to Davis as a “non-believer” and told co-workers that “No job and no one will stop me from talking about the Lord.”

Earlier this year, Lizzo won the Grammy for record of the year for her hit single “About Damn Time.” A global tour supporting her fourth studio album, 2022’s “Special,” wrapped up last month.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    These 7/11 workers sure cancelled this “customer”…. Every once in awhile civil society prevails.  Can’t wait to see what Ben Crump and the rest of the rotten brains have to say about this INJUSTICE…

https://www.newsweek.com/video-7-eleven-workers-beating-thief-stick-california-1817117

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    edited August 2023
    These 7/11 workers sure cancelled this “customer”…. Every once in awhile civil society prevails.  Can’t wait to see what Ben Crump and the rest of the rotten brains have to say about this INJUSTICE…

https://www.newsweek.com/video-7-eleven-workers-beating-thief-stick-california-1817117

Hi linda...what does this have to do with cancelling anyone? 

Also, are you in full agreement now that Katie Ledecky is a female? Or are you still not quite sure?

Thanks.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389

& the Jason Aldean thing is a perfect example. 

He hasn't been canceled, he just played Mansfield the other night. 
    To me that whole thing just seemed like the media trying to create a story that wasn’t even there. I think it shows the failure of how journalism has responded to the existence of social media. Now many of them will just drag twitter etc. to find a story they can inflate. The problem being that social media is rarely a reflection of real life and instead gives the impression that fringe is commonplace. 
    I have said this for awhile now.  Twitter is not how the world reacts no matter how many people you think retweet it as I a m pretty sure people have multiple troll accounts.

Someone tweets and others pick it up as if it's actually a news worthy story or a possible new movement and it goes viral but nobody really gives a shit.

Once corporate America figures it out then hopefully we won't get kneejerk reactions out of people.
  • Options
    Rickles wasn't straight up racist though...Roseanne was tweeting some racist shit that got CBS to dump her.

She is an insane magat at this point.
    If I said anything like what he did in standups I'd be labeled a racist, lol.  "I make fun of the black people.  Without you we'd have no Olympics"

I don't think I could pull that one off...
  • Options

Also, are you in full agreement now that Katie Ledecky is a female? Or are you still not quite sure?

Thanks.
    If you can’t put together what cancelling means in that situation then I can’t help you, or anyone else for that matter.
    Also, I apologized for spreading a falsehood in a earlier post.  Nice try thou, go juggle someone else’s balls 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    that 7/11 video is not what being cancelled means. obviously. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982

Thanks.
    If you can’t put together what cancelling means in that situation then I can’t help you, or anyone else for that matter.
    Also, I apologized for spreading a falsehood in an earlier post.  Nice try thou, go juggle someone else’s balls 
    Oh guuuurl, you don’t say?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Oh boy, we got another one…
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Thanks.
    Also, I apologized for spreading a falsehood in a earlier post.  Nice try thou, go juggle someone else’s balls 
    But can you at least try to explain how beating someone with a baseball bat is the same thing as magas trying to cancel a beer company, for example? Are you advocating for magas to beat Anheuser Busch employees with bats?

Also, not to belabor, but regarding Ledecky you said "if it is" bullshit, then you apologize. So it wasn't quite clear if you were certain she was a female or not. 

3:45 am Hawaii time?! Get some sleep ma'am!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143

Thanks.
    oh dear lord
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    edited August 2023
    assault has nothing to do with this topic.

try reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancel_culture
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    assault has nothing to do with this topic.

try reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancel_culture
    Maybe she's a Jason Aldean fan and this 7/11 was in a small town? Maybe?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Thanks.
    oh dear lord
    I chuckled at that one, not gonna lie.
  • Options
    The Juggler will juggle whomever' s balls The Juggler wishes to juggle, thank you very much. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    How many balls would a Juggler juggle if a Juggler could juggle balls, you ask? He would juggle, he would, as many as he could and juggle as many balls as a Juggler would if a Juggler could juggle balls. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I don't agree with Rapinoe most of the time but good for her.  She's a smart gal.  Imagine her debating Tucker?!?
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    That is a parody account. See the bottom line. :)
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat said:
    That is a parody account. See the bottom line. :)
    Oh man, I thought she really said that!  Hahahaha!
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    It was funny and you weren't alone. :) We'll just add this.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat said:

and this is why I take tweets w a grain of salt sometimes, lol.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    edited August 2023

Thanks.

I defend you because you got piled on and then you do this?  Well, eff it all.  Sheesh...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Kat said:

they also consistently get farther in WC than the "men" do.....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Kat said:

they also consistently get farther in WC than the "men" do.....

This is the only year that they matched the mens performance, lol.  The USWNT have been head and shoulders above everyone for a while.  It was unfortunate that they couldn't gel this time around.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    And pretty much still are given the current growing pains they're going through. Little fun fact, Dennis "The Worm" Rodman's daughter is on the team and she says she watched her father's hunger for the ball as an undersized rebounder in the NBA inspired her to be hungry for the ball as well. And there she was, playing in the World Cup. And a former POTUS, twice impeached, sent out a twat under his name. How embarrassing. Facts, those silly, silly things.

It’s ‘America First’ — unless the U.S. women’s national team is involved

MELBOURNE, Australia — They waited four long years for this, stocking up on antiquated ammunition and preparing their muskets for the most pointless fight. When Megan Rapinoe, a lionhearted heroine for one side and a “woke” traitor for the other, missed the target on her penalty kick during the U.S. women’s national team’s shootout loss to Sweden on Sunday, her enemies prepared to take long-range shots from across the globe. Theirs is a thousand-year culture war with no end in sight and no purpose beyond stirring the pot.

If, for a moment, we can ignore the throbbing migraine and mental fatigue caused by the vitriol and take this bottom-feeder conversation at face value, then we are to surmise that the U.S. women lost to Sweden not because they could not score a goal through 120 minutes but because the players are anti-American. They exited the World Cup in the round of 16, the earliest in program history, because the majority of starters were too busy protesting the military to mouth the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner” before matches. The loss was “shocking and totally unexpected” according to the least-informed soccer analyst in the Northern Hemisphere, Donald Trump, and it’s a loss that happened solely because Joe Biden is president, obviously.

Most of the U.S. players are new to the team and new to this liberal-vs.-conservative conflict that grips the nation they are supposed to proudly represent. They were not part of the core that won the program’s fourth World Cup in 2019 while also carrying the burden of calling out its own federation and fighting “institutionalized gender discrimination.” Through it all, the team’s lightning rod of a spokesperson, Rapinoe, wanted the smoke on any social and cultural matter she could find. For her rainbow pride, for her right knee that at times remained on the grass during the national anthem and for her gut reaction when asked about potentially accepting an invitation to be honored by the former one-term president — “I’m not going to the f---ing White House!” — Rapinoe became the representative of the national team. And the right’s enemy of the state.

So the moment the U.S. women failed to advance at the World Cup, their loss was cheered by people who have waited a long time to salute their sadness and declare their demise a national holiday. As unconscionable as it should be for the “America First” crowd to root against their own country, it’s unsurprising how this irrational refrain just won’t die. The pettiness of partisanship is the new birthright of every girl who dreams of becoming one of the best soccer players in her country.

Initially, the mocking was masked as purely soccer criticism — that Rapinoe, the former star but now a bit player near the end of her career, could not come through for her country in the shootout. But who were they kidding? The so-called patriots who hate Rapinoe and everything she stands for could not care less about women’s soccer. The charade lasted until Trump, or probably one of his typo-ridden flunkies, took to his social media platform to resurrect old grudges and wage stale wars.

In a post cluttered with dog whistles and best read in the voice of an 8-year-old emperor, Trump cyber-ranted: “The ‘shocking and totally unexpected’ loss by the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team to Sweden is fully emblematic of what is happening to the our once great Nation under Crooked Joe Biden. Many of our players were openly hostile to America — No other country behaved in such a manner, or even close. WOKE EQUALS FAILURE. Nice shot Megan, the USA is going to hell!!! MAGA.”

Also following the loss, Alexi Lalas, a former men’s national team player, a current Fox analyst and a well-known provocateur, called the team “polarizing” and “unlikeable to a portion of America.” Though Lalas’s comments ring with truth — because, yes, extreme right-wingers despise these women — they seem strange coming from a person who is being paid to elevate soccer knowledge for Americans, not to Hannity-ize the game.

Even as our better angels advise us, for the purposes of mental stability, not to give this divisive conversation the sunlight and attention it very much desires, it’s still difficult to ignore and probably is not going away.

Though this team has shifted toward a next generation that includes youngsters such as Sophia Smith, Trinity Rodman and Naomi Girma, who were high-schoolers when the United States won in 2019, the battles by, and against, the veterans linger over them.

As benefactors of their predecessors’ equal-pay fight, they arrived in New Zealand and Australia as pitchwomen, not protesters. Not a trace of disunity should’ve been found, yet that didn’t stop Fox News from paying close attention to the televised portion of the national anthem and counting which U.S. players held their hands over their hearts and which stood silently like insurrectionists ready to overthrow their government. Had the ’23ers clobbered the world as the program is known to do, the troubling reality is there still would’ve been people back home loudly rooting for them to fail. Unfortunately for the women, the millimeter that sent them packing allowed the anti-U.S. women’s team crowd to take its victory lap.

Now if we can go back to the actual soccer for a moment, there’s this to consider: The U.S. roster that stepped on the pitch Sunday lacked any of the top 20 players in the world, at least by one accounting. Fourteen of the 23 Americans were making their World Cup debut, accounting for the team’s uneven play in the tournament. On top of that, the U.S. squad played a Swedish rival that had remained largely intact from previous tournament experiences. And despite it all, the United States dominated in shots (21-8) and shots on goal (11-1). But, sure, let’s not let silly things like facts get in the way of a good culture war.

So as the next stars take over, will the Smiths, the Rodmans and the Girmas of the reloading roster recognize that the battle is not over? Along with inheriting pay equality, they have inherited this fight. If, while balancing their moral drive with capitalizing on their worth, the women continue the program’s tradition of speaking up on issues that matter to them off the pitch, then they will remain in the crosshairs. There may be no cease-fire even if they win it all in 2027. The U.S. women’s team might have won its fight for equal pay, but the other battle rages on.

USWNT faces political backlash after World Cup loss to Sweden - The Washington Post

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I am making a point to go to drag shows and see Rupaul this year and see Remember Jones live again.