Cancellation Notice for Amsterdam Night 1

Comments

• bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 685
    edited July 2022
    Edved82 said:
    Unacceptable to leave this cancellation so late. If Ed's voice is this bad, why leave it so late and yet again cost fans hundreds of euros? Got total sympathy for Eddie but it's unprofessional and unfair on fans that are paying big bucks to travel to these gigs.
    It’s tough…and it def sucks for all parties involved.

I have to imagine they’re holding out hope until the very last minute, each day.  I also have to assume that if there is even a slim chance that he’s got enough ‘throat’ to pull off a show - they’re gonna delay until they can’t. But it’s clearly a situation that is touch and go… having to assess on an hour by hour basis… even up until a few hours before a show. I’m not sure there is a good strategy for these types of situations re: timing of the cancellation…

The body is on its own timeline. Everyone heals at their own pace. Maybe each day is a little better than the last, but not quite enough to pull off the vocal gymnastics that is the standard PJ song…(Obviously none of us are intimately familiar with the details - it’s clearly not good though). 

It sucks... And honestly, it’s kinda amazing that it hasn’t happened more often over 3 decades of playing/touring. 

With all that said - my heart goes out to all the fans who had tickets. Like I said - sucks for all involved 😔. 

Hope everyone (including the PJ camp) can find something to take their minds off of this…✌️& ❤️.
    Post edited by bigbiggzy on
  • mrz200mrz200 Posts: 76
    Anyone know if the merch stands at Zigoo are still open?  We came from Boston for the show, and the city, and at least one didn’t disappoint! My wife’s birthday is today so anything with the 7/24 date is important.
  • Mickey98Mickey98 Posts: 6
    mrz200 said:
    Anyone know if the merch stands at Zigoo are still open?  We came from Boston for the show, and the city, and at least one didn’t disappoint! My wife’s birthday is today so anything with the 7/24 date is important.
    Still queues in front of the Ziggo Dome
  • The band think we have the same money that they have in their bank account.
    We bought tickets almost 3 years ago and they kept our money rescheduling by covid . I m ok with that... Not bands fault. 
    But fuuuck. Me and my girl have be earning months and months to be a shit hotels and see the band 3 or 4 times... Flights, hotels, foods... Band should respect a little bit more the fans. Not all of us have millons in the bank as they have. We came from Prague to Amsterdam in a flight at 6 am, slept at the airport to earn money. 45 minutes announcement is fucking joke. If you don't have voice in morning what the fucking are u waiting to cancel a night show? Don't play with peoples life. 
  • maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 212
    So sad about another last minute cancellation. 
    Amsterdam is always great anyway. 
    Get better Eddie.
    And PJ - make it up by returning to Vienna, Prague and Amsterdam asap. 
    Cheers to all the sad fellow fans! 
  • maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 212

• southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    My heart goes out to the band and fellow fans….
    rustedsigns
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 685
    Purrdy shot…
  • Pgmgwg12Pgmgwg12 Posts: 24
    I am sure EV is more gutted than the rest of us as is the case with the rest of the band but am curious if anyone knows if the band and their management reads these posts.  I suspect they do 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353
    edited July 2022
    Oh man… this whole situation blows. 

I’m so sorry for the tonight’s ticket holders. 

Re: the timing of the announcement… I can’t help but think that after the last few years the band wants to do everything humanly possible to not cancel & get these shows played. That doesn’t mean the frustration is any less valid or justified, especially for people who have been holding these tickets for years or those who traveled & spent hard earned money to be there today 

It’s a shitty situation all around. 
  • KM155315KM155315 Posts: 14
    What a fucking piss take.

They let hundreds of fans stand in the 30 deg C for 3 hours to buy merch for a concert that clearly wasn’t going to go ahead. A voice that isn’t there in the morning, isn’t going to miraculously return by evening.

I walked out of the queue to go and get my tickets to be greeted by the cancelled sign. 

This could have been sorted out a week ago by cancelling so people could get refunds. But no, set out the merch stands lads and get as much money in as possible.

Remember when PJ stood behind fans to stop them being ripped off? I walk away from this feeling as if I have been milked for money.

Manchester 4th June 2000 London 18th June 2007 Manchester 17th August 2009 Los Angeles 1st October 2009 Manchester 21st June 2012 Leeds 8th July 2014 Milton Keynes 11th July 2014
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,922
    edited July 2022
    There must be some kind of insurance payout to the venue in these situations when an artist is sick, right? Perhaps there is a point at which they have to be confirmed as unable to play for that to be triggered - hence the late cancellation notification? I’m clearly talking out of my hole, would be interesting to hear from anybody that knows how this stuff works on the business end.
    Nature drunk and High
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    KM155315 said:
    What a fucking piss take.

They let hundreds of fans stand in the 30 deg C for 3 hours to buy merch for a concert that clearly wasn’t going to go ahead. A voice that isn’t there in the morning, isn’t going to miraculously return by evening.

I walked out of the queue to go and get my tickets to be greeted by the cancelled sign. 

This could have been sorted out a .week ago by cancelling so people could get refunds But no, set out the merch stands lads and get as much money in as possible.

Remember when PJ stood behind fans to stop them being ripped off? I walk away from this feeling as if I have been milked for money.

A week ago? 
    In 2018 when Ed lost his voice, they missed one show.. 

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 798
    This behavior from the band and management is getting indefensible. Scrap all the shows until eV is actually recovered, I have all the sympathy for Ed in the world and hope he is better ASAP but stop fucking over your fans and making people travel/buy merch only to be told hours before the door opens to the concert that it’s cancelled and will be refunded. It’s a huge slap in the face to everyone spending their money on the band/tour/merch/etc… “it’s a disease and they’re all green”. Holding out some hope for the September US dates but honestly won’t be surprised if/when they get cancelled and another collective of PJ fans are fucked over by poor management, decision making, and communication
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK.
    09 -Spectrum II,III,IV.
    10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo)
    12- Made in America Festival
    13- Oakland
    14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    17- eV Ohana
    18- Seattle I, II
    21- SHN
    22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden 

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    Spags said:
    There must be some kind of insurance payout to the venue in these situations when an artist is sick, right? Perhaps there is a point at which they have to be confirmed as unable to play for that to be triggered - hence the late cancellation notification? I’m clearly talking out of my hole, would be interesting to hear from anybody that knows how this stuff works on the business end.
    That's exactly it... Lots more to it than what people posting here think 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 147
    edited July 2022
    Sounds like the merch stands are still open.

Here is a novel idea.

Offer a free poster for those who can show proof of ticket.First come, first serve until sold out.

LMAO. Who am I kidding. They want to milk as much money as possible out of the situation. 
    Post edited by Habit4me on
  • Mickey98Mickey98 Posts: 6
    The June concerts where postponed because of logistical issues...
    Issues called Pinkpop ans Rock Werchter. 
    Logistical issues...revenue issues!
  • JF170492JF170492 Posts: 12
    Spags said:
    But again - that would mean that things like an insurance payout IS more important than all the fans' time and money. And I get it - shit happens and I'm thousands in the hole and didn't get to enjoy my time in Amsterdam as I had to continue all day planning as if I was miraculously going to the concert. Not that I'd been able to truly enjoy it anyways as the shows were the whole point of this shit show of a trip 🙄

Spags said:
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    edited July 2022
    Wondering if I should buy my Warren Haynes for OKC now or wait until PJ cancels? I’m sadly not joking as tables are sold out and only standing  room is left.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Spags said:
    I was going to post the same thing. Even if there is more going on it is incredibly shitty to the fans. Even if the band has no control over the situation it’s not fair to the fans. God forbid if it ever comes out that the band never had any intentions of playing these shows because they knew Ed’s voice was toast. The fact that they haven’t even bothered to soundcheck is pretty telling…
  • coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    Someone posted they are selling merch from the other cancelled shows today?

I know in Sacramento the stands were never set up.

I would think when the merch is posted it would mean they are playing. Feel bad for everyone…
  • heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 350
    Spags said:
    This is true but there's no reason to expect casual or even more-than-casual fans to know that unless they're told that, and no band in the world is going to tell their fans "Oh sorry, we have to make sure we minimize our losses financially, so we can't announce a cancellation until..." or whatever.

The bigger picture here, to me, is that between the cancellations on the US and UK/EU legs of this tour and the shortened/less diverse sets, whether it's "fair" or "warranted" or not, some percentage of the band's audience is simply going to stop traveling to see this band, which is going to change things for them significantly. Between those factors and the current global economic situation people are just not going to be willing to lose money traveling to see shows, and that's going to impact this band more than it would a lot of other bands.

It will be interesting to see how the September shows go (if they happen at all), and what 2023 looks like. We're probably years away from any kind of significant economic bounce back, COVID is more or less just a fact of life, and the climate crisis is not going to magically solve itself, so we're going to continue seeing these kinds of conditions for outdoor summer shows well into the future. 

I personally am motivated to see this band again as soon as possible because I'm not sure how many more chances I'll have.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22)
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    The band think we have the same money that they have in their bank account.
    We bought tickets almost 3 years ago and they kept our money rescheduling by covid . I m ok with that... Not bands fault. 
    But fuuuck. Me and my girl have be earning months and months to be a shit hotels and see the band 3 or 4 times... Flights, hotels, foods... Band should respect a little bit more the fans. Not all of us have millons in the bank as they have. We came from Prague to Amsterdam in a flight at 6 am, slept at the airport to earn money. 45 minutes announcement is fucking joke. If you don't have voice in morning what the fucking are u waiting to cancel a night show? Don't play with peoples life. 
    Yea I absolute agree.  Im
    sure band is stressed. But why can’t Eddie write something.  It would mean at least something.  Say something direct to your fans. 

Like you said.  You don’t have voice in the morning.  It’s not going to comeback the same day.  
    Why they haven’t cancelled tomorrow has to be $$$$ insurance related.  No way he has no voice today and tomorrow he sings for 2 hours.  

This behavior from the band and management is getting indefensible. Scrap all the shows until eV is actually recovered, I have all the sympathy for Ed in the world and hope he is better ASAP but stop fucking over your fans and making people travel/buy merch only to be told hours before the door opens to the concert that it’s cancelled and will be refunded. It’s a huge slap in the face to everyone spending their money on the band/tour/merch/etc… “it’s a disease and they’re all green”. Holding out some hope for the September US dates but honestly won’t be surprised if/when they get cancelled and another collective of PJ fans are fucked over by poor management, decision making, and communication
    Absolutely hit the nail on the head with this.
    Manchester 4th June 2000 London 18th June 2007 Manchester 17th August 2009 Los Angeles 1st October 2009 Manchester 21st June 2012 Leeds 8th July 2014 Milton Keynes 11th July 2014
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 147
    This whole situation the last week has been odd and poorly managed to say the least..To the point where I wouldn't be shocked if EV actually has Covid and we are all being told a different story.

Cue the x files theme song.
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    No doubt management reads these posts and the band kept abreast of important things that may come out of these forums I would imagine. 

rustedsigns
  • KidAOKKidAOK Posts: 87
    I have a flight booked for tomorrow and a hotel, both that are refundable, it's over €500 that I don't really want to gamble with. And that's after the Vienna and Prague disappointment.

This sucks.
  • hadrieliahadrielia Posts: 123
    No doubt management reads these posts and the band kept abreast of important things that may come out of these forums I would imagine. 

If so, just a reminder for them that they still owe me budapest tickets refund that I requested back in March, and still no answer to any of my emails.

Love this band but the management part is a joke.
    06/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - London /////  09/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - 3Arena - Dublin ///// 19/06/18 - Pearl Jam - O2 - London ////// 10/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Palau Sant Jordi - Barcelona ////// 12/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Mad Cool Festival - Madrid ////// 14/07/18 -Pearl Jam - NOS Alive Festival - Lisbon
    KidAOK said:
    I have a flight booked for tomorrow and a hotel, both that are refundable, it's over €500 that I don't really want to gamble with. And that's after the Vienna and Prague disappointment.

This sucks.
    You are doing the right thing. Best the money being back in your pocket rather than being wasted due to ineffective communication from PJ’s management.
  • neddie vedderneddie vedder 93 million miles from the sun Posts: 191
    Fuck it, I’m in Amsterdam so what else can you do beside getting hammered..still love and always will this band but this stings a lot more than Prague for some reason 
    Manchester 09, Hyde Park 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 1+2 2012, EV Manchester 2012, EV London 1+2 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, EV London 1+2 2017, EV Dublin 2017, London 2018, Milan 2018, Padova 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2018, EV Florence 2019, EV Barolo 2019, EV Madrid 2019, Berlin 2022, London 1+2 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022