• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,109
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Anyone see 2000 mules yet?  I know I’m looking forward to it!

I seem like the fool since I voted for Biden and it’s certainly destroying my savings 
    Which policy do you think did that?
    Oh that’s right. I forgot dems are just victims of circumstance. How about the extra payments to everyone that didn’t need them? It’s freakin nuts that we can’t find a freakin leader or party that lets everyone be themselves at home and stops fucking around with other peoples $
    So the first two stimulus and PPP had no effect on your savings,  but the last one did.  Makes sense.

You can say,  oh blah blah better than Trump,  but elections are choices.  You had three of them.  Biden,  Trump or stay home.  You can whine and complain about your choices but that doesn't change them.  And if you think that the Feb stimulus is why oil is $109 a barrel,  then you should go back to watching pillow commercials and how to stop the steal. 
    They all did. I said as much, then Biden have even more $ away. 

Seriously…pillows and stop the steal? If that is all you got…. Such a stupid response 
    Hey man, do you think that's why oil is $109?  It's just about as silly as blaming inflation on the last stimulus, but it's even more obvious.  You have made no argument as to how the Feb stimulus is the cause for inflation, yet you blame Biden and that's the policy you pointed to. That's the stupid argument right there.  It's the Fox News argument that has no empirical basis.  Come back with something rooted in data and then we can go from there. 
    I have no interest in talking with you at all. You went straight to my pillow and stop the steal. 
    Sorry I wounded you.  Does that mean you do think Biden is the reason gas is so expensive?
    I never mentioned gas.  Wounded me? No more like outted yourself.  Straight to the stupid stuff...makes it tough to actually have a conversation.  
    Oh whatever, I outed myself.  You make a statement that you did not ground.  I said that's kind of silly and asked if you believed something even sillier like about the gas, and if you did that's kind of My Pillow stuff.  And now the snowflakey stuff starts.  
    Ah, now snowflakey.....you are on a roll.

Ok, let's reset.  I've lost more $ (unrealized gains, etc of course) over the last 5 months than I've actually made in wages in the last 12 months.  That is a problem.  

There are external issues at hand that certainly are major factors, mostly the Pandemic and the War.  Biden was not in charge during the entire pandemic so I fully realize it is not all on him.  But the government's "solution" to the pandemic under both presidents has been far from ideal.  Short-term thinking and just really dumb spending for what....votes.

The war is out of the control of the president and certainly a major factor for gas prices and thus prices of many commodities.  The cost of everything is pretty crazy right now.  There are lots of job opportunities for sure, but no one willing to fill it seems. 

So - I am disappointed in Biden's first year though of his response.  I think his massive spending plan (not passed) would not help, but hurt.  Haven't seen much get done to help at all...and I do realize that congress is a cesspool that is slowing or stopping some progress.  But That doesn't mean the person in charge gets a pass.

It's been a big hurt to retirement funds for everyone.   And if you are in power, you are going to share in the blame.  So - I am not happy with Biden's performance on most issues at all.  And if it's trump vs Biden in 2024 again....man what an awful scenario.  
    One thing to keep in mind is that inflation issues right now are global, not local.  Domestic policies like stimulus and PPP are not the reasons why UK, France, Germany, etc. are experiencing inflation just like we are.  This is a global issue, first driven by supply chain, then lack of workers and now Ukraine.  It's a confluence of negative effects.  And the market is seeing the lower GDP as a risk, triggering a sell off.  So now we are all down in our portfolios and paying more.  Nothing about this is particularly surprising or mysterious.  

Global leads to energy being a main culprit, right? 

We are basically at peak oil now, because 2021 was the worst year for new discoveries since 1946 and cash to invest is scarce. Investors are not willing in the current “green” climate to put down big money on fossil fuel and neither is the party in charge likely to create incentive to invest. They are more interested in renewable investments, but that will not help the current energy problem.

So, in a way, democrats are somewhat to blame, @nicknyr15 had a very reasonable point earlier. Sorry if I jumped into a 1:1 here :)

https://qz.com/2107452/oil-and-gas-discoveries-are-at-the-lowest-level-since-1946/
    Oil commodities are not at peak because of a slow reserves discovery year.  The market price are short term prices based on the current pumping.  That pumping is fundamentally controlled by OPEC and OPEC + (including Russia).  The article you're quoting didn't even attempt to link the discovery to new prices.  

Even if the R party provided subsidies,  it wouldn't make a lick of difference in the price today.  And considering this cash shortage is because they are paying dividends and reducing debt,  that would be ridiculously irresponsible to do that with tax payer money 

The article mentions that the ratio of proven reserves to production is at its lowest levels since 2011, a very long term trend. Industry investment now is half of what it was in 2014. Oil and gas dividends are currently triple that of the average S and P companies. You mentioned OPEC but a big difference between now and and the price spike from 10+ years ago is the lack US investment now. 

What did Obama say about his stimulus, if private sector does not invest, the govt needs to step in? I’m not saying that should happen, just that Dems would never touch anything with fossil fuels. Their renewable energy solutions are many years away, and they are leaving a huge opportunity for the GOP to step in. In NYS they are talking about banning natural gas and heating oil, and despite how good a job Sweden does with renewable heat, we are not close to scalable affordable technology here IMO.

The oil industry, even outside OPEC, has responded to the renewable push…investing is high risk and maximizing distributions are a priority. This is barely getting any coverage in the MSM. I think Nicks point on D vs R, at least regarding energy prices, is reasonable
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,641
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I seem like the fool since I voted for Biden and it’s certainly destroying my savings 
    Oh that’s right. I forgot dems are just victims of circumstance. How about the extra payments to everyone that didn’t need them? It’s freakin nuts that we can’t find a freakin leader or party that lets everyone be themselves at home and stops fucking around with other peoples $
    So the first two stimulus and PPP had no effect on your savings,  but the last one did.  Makes sense.

You can say,  oh blah blah better than Trump,  but elections are choices.  You had three of them.  Biden,  Trump or stay home.  You can whine and complain about your choices but that doesn't change them.  And if you think that the Feb stimulus is why oil is $109 a barrel,  then you should go back to watching pillow commercials and how to stop the steal. 

Seriously…pillows and stop the steal? If that is all you got…. Such a stupid response 
    Hey man, do you think that's why oil is $109?  It's just about as silly as blaming inflation on the last stimulus, but it's even more obvious.  You have made no argument as to how the Feb stimulus is the cause for inflation, yet you blame Biden and that's the policy you pointed to. That's the stupid argument right there.  It's the Fox News argument that has no empirical basis.  Come back with something rooted in data and then we can go from there. 
    I have no interest in talking with you at all. You went straight to my pillow and stop the steal. 
    Sorry I wounded you.  Does that mean you do think Biden is the reason gas is so expensive?
    I never mentioned gas.  Wounded me? No more like outted yourself.  Straight to the stupid stuff...makes it tough to actually have a conversation.  
    Oh whatever, I outed myself.  You make a statement that you did not ground.  I said that's kind of silly and asked if you believed something even sillier like about the gas, and if you did that's kind of My Pillow stuff.  And now the snowflakey stuff starts.  

Ok, let's reset.  I've lost more $ (unrealized gains, etc of course) over the last 5 months than I've actually made in wages in the last 12 months.  That is a problem.  

There are external issues at hand that certainly are major factors, mostly the Pandemic and the War.  Biden was not in charge during the entire pandemic so I fully realize it is not all on him.  But the government's "solution" to the pandemic under both presidents has been far from ideal.  Short-term thinking and just really dumb spending for what....votes.

The war is out of the control of the president and certainly a major factor for gas prices and thus prices of many commodities.  The cost of everything is pretty crazy right now.  There are lots of job opportunities for sure, but no one willing to fill it seems. 

So - I am disappointed in Biden's first year though of his response.  I think his massive spending plan (not passed) would not help, but hurt.  Haven't seen much get done to help at all...and I do realize that congress is a cesspool that is slowing or stopping some progress.  But That doesn't mean the person in charge gets a pass.

It's been a big hurt to retirement funds for everyone.   And if you are in power, you are going to share in the blame.  So - I am not happy with Biden's performance on most issues at all.  And if it's trump vs Biden in 2024 again....man what an awful scenario.  
    One thing to keep in mind is that inflation issues right now are global, not local.  Domestic policies like stimulus and PPP are not the reasons why UK, France, Germany, etc. are experiencing inflation just like we are.  This is a global issue, first driven by supply chain, then lack of workers and now Ukraine.  It's a confluence of negative effects.  And the market is seeing the lower GDP as a risk, triggering a sell off.  So now we are all down in our portfolios and paying more.  Nothing about this is particularly surprising or mysterious.  

We are basically at peak oil now, because 2021 was the worst year for new discoveries since 1946 and cash to invest is scarce. Investors are not willing in the current “green” climate to put down big money on fossil fuel and neither is the party in charge likely to create incentive to invest. They are more interested in renewable investments, but that will not help the current energy problem.

So, in a way, democrats are somewhat to blame, @nicknyr15 had a very reasonable point earlier. Sorry if I jumped into a 1:1 here :)

https://qz.com/2107452/oil-and-gas-discoveries-are-at-the-lowest-level-since-1946/
    Oil commodities are not at peak because of a slow reserves discovery year.  The market price are short term prices based on the current pumping.  That pumping is fundamentally controlled by OPEC and OPEC + (including Russia).  The article you're quoting didn't even attempt to link the discovery to new prices.  

Even if the R party provided subsidies,  it wouldn't make a lick of difference in the price today.  And considering this cash shortage is because they are paying dividends and reducing debt,  that would be ridiculously irresponsible to do that with tax payer money 

The article mentions that the ratio of proven reserves to production is at its lowest levels since 2011, a very long term trend. Industry investment now is half of what it was in 2014. Oil and gas dividends are currently triple that of the average S and P companies. You mentioned OPEC but a big difference between now and and the price spike from 10+ years ago is the lack US investment now. 

What did Obama say about his stimulus, if private sector does not invest, the govt needs to step in? I’m not saying that should happen, just that Dems would never touch anything with fossil fuels. Their renewable energy solutions are many years away, and they are leaving a huge opportunity for the GOP to step in. In NYS they are talking about banning natural gas and heating oil, and despite how good a job Sweden does with renewable heat, we are not close to scalable affordable technology here IMO.

The oil industry, even outside OPEC, has responded to the renewable push…investing is high risk and maximizing distributions are a priority. This is barely getting any coverage in the MSM. I think Nicks point on D vs R, at least regarding energy prices, is reasonable

how many unexplored leases are currently held by various companies?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Probably a lot of unexplored leases, but that goes to the point they don’t want to spend any money. They hear the music, renewables are the new lady in town, so this is their last chance to gouge consumers. Problem is, renewables are still toddlers and aren’t ready to make it to the dance.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Probably a lot of unexplored leases, but that goes to the point they don’t want to spend any money. They hear the music, renewables are the new lady in town, so this is their last chance to gouge consumers. Problem is, renewables are still toddlers and aren’t ready to make it to the dance.
    Couple billion dollars spent on leasing land in the water for renewable energy right here in the Tri state area.  It's coming.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

You're arguing that since 2011 exploration has been going down and then suddenly in February of 2022 the price jumps from 80 to 100 a barrel and the reason is the exploration issue.  Do I have that right?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,641

6 months in, Biden's infrastructure plan has 4,300 projects
    By JOSH BOAK
    2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Six months after the signing of President Joe Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure package, the government said Monday there are 4,300 projects underway with more than $110 billion in funding announced — milestones the administration is publicly heralding as midterm politics intensify.

White House senior adviser Mitch Landrieu, the former mayor of New Orleans, said the roads, bridges and other projects are laying “a foundation for tremendous growth into the future.” Landrieu said Biden and members of his administration have made more than 125 trips to highlight the bipartisan investments in infrastructure. He declined to predict how much the storytelling will resonate with voters as construction starts.

“I think that if Americans step back, we will all have to admit that for the last 50 years we’ve had the need to do this and we haven’t found the will or the way to get it done,” Landrieu told reporters. He added that this is a “wonderful down payment” on infrastructure needs in the country that total roughly $7 trillion.

The administration made a strategic calculation that delivering results would help Democrats retain control of the House and the Senate in this year's elections. Infrastructure was a rare source of bipartisan unity as Biden struck a deal that attracted several Republican senators. The law contains money to expand internet access and replace lead water pipes and for rail and public transit projects and investments to address climate change.

When Biden signed the law on Nov. 15, he pledged to voters that “America is moving again and your life is going to change for the better.”

Six months later, the stock market is down, inflation is near a 40-year peakRussia's war in Ukraine is pushing up energy costs and many Americans feel pessimistic about the economy's health. There is an open question whether voters will reward infrastructure projects in which the benefits are years away as part of what Biden has portrayed as an “infrastructure decade.”

“All we can do is tell the story about what we do, and the impact that it has on the midterms will be whatever it’s going to be,” Landrieu said.

Of the $110 billion announced so far, $52.5 billion is for federal highway funding this fiscal year and $20.5 billion for public transit. There is another $27 billion over five years for bridges, as well as money for safety, rural highways, airports, ports, drought resilience and other programs.

The infrastructure spending is also one area where political leaders will have to share credit with each other. Governors and mayors are responsible for 90% of the expenditures in the law, while the federal government accounts for 10% of the spending. The administration has actively tried to help state and local governments compete for the money, with Landrieu noting that even Republican critics are generally eager to receive the funding.

“Some really smart person said, you know, even those people that voted no want the dough,” he said. “This is as close to consensus in my political life that I have seen.”

The Commerce Department last week called on states to begin the process of submitting their plans for universal access to high-speed internet. Biden has also taken steps to maximize the likelihood that construction materials are made domestically, as the money has started to go out.

Landrieu said the two biggest challenges of coordinating the spending have involved offering technical assistance to smaller governments and enabling workforce development to fill the jobs being created. There are 7.6 million construction jobs in the U.S., with employers advertising about 400,000 openings in the sector.

Landrieu said that those challenges are also “an unbelievable opportunity to get right something that we actually haven’t been collectively very good at in the country.”

If the government succeeds with coordination and future administrations follow suit, Landrieu said, “America is going to grow exponentially faster and winning the 21st century is not going to be a challenge for us.”

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    Damn you Brandon!

U.S. military aircraft will deliver 132 pallets of baby formula from Germany to Indianapolis over the weekend, in support of a Biden administration initiative that aims to quickly increase supplies of the food source amid a national shortage.

The flights are part of Operation Fly Formula, which was launched after President Biden authorized the Agriculture Department and the Department of Health and Human Services to request Pentagon-contracted commercial planes to deliver formula from abroad. Military planes will transport the supplies this time, as no commercial aircraft were available, the White House said.

The imports will fill immediate gaps while also buying time for domestic manufacturers to ramp up production. The military’s involvement in transporting baby formula reflects the urgency of the shortage, which is particularly hitting medically vulnerable babies and some older children who may rely on formula because of life-threatening food allergies.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    Was listening to Morning Joe.  And Mika made a comment I found myself thinking but also trying not to be negative just for negative sake.  She was pretty angry that Joe and white house taking a victory lap for pallets of formula to feed "9000 babies for a week"... wanting more sustained change.

Now - the work with the FDA and the plant that had the issues is where the real issue gets solved more systemically.  And providing the other facilities priority in obtaining raw materials.  That is the stuff that fixes it long-term...the flight honestly feels like a trump-like twitter win.

I understand why the formula factory was shut down....I do not understand the process after that...I do not understand how it remained shut that long.  I also do not know the true dynamics of that company or their management.  Perhaps they are extremely negligent.  But if not, this is the issue with many government regulators....it's not about working and improving, it's about punishing.  Sometimes appropriate though.

I'm glad Biden used the powers to help get the raw materials available and get the other plant in process of starting up.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    When the making of baby formula is limited to three different producers it would seem like a sustained shutdown of one of them should have triggered some urgency on the part of the FDA who shut it down.  Maybe there were warnings along the way and they were ignored, but this issue seems predictable to anyone close to the industry that was aware of the shutdown.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Dumb questions from a guy (me) who has worked with kids, help raise nephew who were past infancy, but never had kids of my own:  Why is there so much widespread need for baby formula?  Is breast feeding that uncommon today?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Dumb questions from a guy (me) who has worked with kids, help raise nephew who were past infancy, but never had kids of my own:  Why is there so much widespread need for baby formula?  Is breast feeding that uncommon today?
    I don't have all the answers but I know there are plenty of factors that make formula necessary or almost necessary.  Not all mothers produce enough milk.  Plus, jobs and the lack of resources make pumping impractical to impossible.

Breastfeeding isn't just a very simply process in many cases.
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    I don't have all the answers but I know there are plenty of factors that make formula necessary or almost necessary.  Not all mothers produce enough milk.  Plus, jobs and the lack of resources make pumping impractical to impossible.

What leads me to wonder about this- and I'm not expert obviously, so I don't know how true this is- but I have heard that kids who are breastfeed build stronger immune systems and are healthier overall.  If this is true, I would think there would be more of a push to encourage breastfeeding rather than push formula. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Was listening to Morning Joe.  And Mika made a comment I found myself thinking but also trying not to be negative just for negative sake.  She was pretty angry that Joe and white house taking a victory lap for pallets of formula to feed "9000 babies for a week"... wanting more sustained change.

Now - the work with the FDA and the plant that had the issues is where the real issue gets solved more systemically.  And providing the other facilities priority in obtaining raw materials.  That is the stuff that fixes it long-term...the flight honestly feels like a trump-like twitter win.

I understand why the formula factory was shut down....I do not understand the process after that...I do not understand how it remained shut that long.  I also do not know the true dynamics of that company or their management.  Perhaps they are extremely negligent.  But if not, this is the issue with many government regulators....it's not about working and improving, it's about punishing.  Sometimes appropriate though.

I'm glad Biden used the powers to help get the raw materials available and get the other plant in process of starting up.

This is an example of poor messaging by democrats. The point should be driven home, do we want a government that intervenes, or leave business alone and let the market decide when a company messes up with bacteria? If we want the government to be there in time of crises, then how do y’all vote against democrats?
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

What leads me to wonder about this- and I'm not expert obviously, so I don't know how true this is- but I have heard that kids who are breastfeed build stronger immune systems and are healthier overall.  If this is true, I would think there would be more of a push to encourage breastfeeding rather than push formula. 

I can tell you my wife is a 100% believer in this.  She believes a lot of the immunities a person builds up will pass to the child through breast feeding.  I have no idea if that's true or not, but it makes logical sense.  Formula is necessary though, for all of the non traditional families, mother's who have trouble producing, etc.  

This is an example of poor messaging by democrats. The point should be driven home, do we want a government that intervenes, or leave business alone and let the market decide when a company messes up with bacteria? If we want the government to be there in time of crises, then how do y’all vote against democrats?
    I honestly don't know enough about the FDA case to understand if the government was a big part of the problem to big with.  I totally understand the shutdown, investigation....but damn, for how long?  What was taking so long?  Was it the company dragging feet?  The FDA? 
    hippiemom = goodness

I honestly don't know enough about the FDA case to understand if the government was a big part of the problem to big with.  I totally understand the shutdown, investigation....but damn, for how long?  What was taking so long?  Was it the company dragging feet?  The FDA? 
    Probably normal gov't bureaucracy with a failure to understand the supply chain ramification.  I would bet the company was challenging some of the findings and trying to reduce the required investments.  Until the supply chain issue hit, the FDA would probably be in no hurry to compromise.  Typical gov't stuff at work.  
    mrussel1 said:

Probably normal gov't bureaucracy with a failure to understand the supply chain ramification.  I would bet the company was challenging some of the findings and trying to reduce the required investments.  Until the supply chain issue hit, the FDA would probably be in no hurry to compromise.  Typical gov't stuff at work.  
    That was my ingoing assumption...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,184
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

My wife was a milk factory for our first child, but dried up after only a few months with our second. She experienced lots of guilt because of this as she felt formula was not an even substitute for her milk. While most of us are currently unaffected by this shortage, I imagine it is a major source of concern for those who rely on it. It will remain a focal point until a solution is in place, whether the blame is warranted or not. The odd thing is our first catches everything and our second rarely gets sick. 
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

My wife was a milk factory for our first child, but dried up after only a few months with our second. She experienced lots of guilt because of this as she felt formula was not an even substitute for her milk. While most of us are currently unaffected by this shortage, I imagine it is a major source of concern for those who rely on it. It will remain a focal point until a solution is in place, whether the blame is warranted or not. The odd thing is our first catches everything and our second rarely gets sick. 
    Did they both go to daycare?

hippiemom = goodness
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Interesting. But I'm sorry to hear she feels guilty about something that couldn't be helped. 

FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Did they both go to daycare?

My wife left her job after we had our first so their experience is pretty similar. Our oldest has definitely been exposed to more since starting preschool, but brings it home and when they are both sick our youngest usually has noticeably milder symptoms or recovers quicker. 
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Interesting. But I'm sorry to hear she feels guilty about something that couldn't be helped. 
    I think a lot of it is the feeling of not being able to provide the same experience for both, even if it wasn’t by choice.
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,396
    When I had my children breastfeeding was not popular at all.  And we were given these little red pills to dry up our milk which eventually caused breast cancer.  

I feel guilty  to this day for not breastfeeding 35 yrs ago!  But, I do think that it should only matter which form ends up being the best choice for the baby. Women shouldn’t feel guilty one way or the other, especially after just performing a miracle!  
    mrussel1 said:

That was my ingoing assumption...

Abbott detected bacteria 8 times over the last two years, tough for me to pin that on govt bureaucracy. I’m coming from the perspective the GOP is looking for the govt to solve the problem. Republicans talk endlessly about no regulations and let industry take care of problems. When an industry screws up, they are quick to point the finger at democrats for not solving it quick enough.
    When I had my children breastfeeding was not popular at all.  And we were given these little red pills to dry up our milk which eventually caused breast cancer.  

I feel guilty  to this day for not breastfeeding 35 yrs ago!  But, I do think that it should only matter which form ends up being the best choice for the baby. Women shouldn’t feel guilty one way or the other, especially after just performing a miracle!  

Good points!

• EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Baby formula debacle - further proof we would not have had a viable vaccine available as quickly under this Administration.  

There's no way that factory should have been shut that long, especially considering they did not find 1 baby that actually got sick from the contaminant.   Yes, it need to be stopped, shut down and investigated. But, they knew back in October this was the problem it was going to cause.  Proper urgency was not given.

The same FDA process here would have made the Vaccine take its typical 4 years development time.  

You elected a lifelong bureaucrat, and that's exactly what we got.

You don't get to take a victory lap only partially solving a problem that you created by ignoring an easy to see cause.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    Baby formula debacle - further proof we would not have had a viable vaccine available as quickly under this Administration.  

There's no way that factory should have been shut that long, especially considering they did not find 1 baby that actually got sick from the contaminant.   Yes, it need to be stopped, shut down and investigated. But, they knew back in October this was the problem it was going to cause.  Proper urgency was not given.

The same FDA process here would have made the Vaccine take its typical 4 years development time.  

You don't get to take a victory lap only partially solving a problem that you created by ignoring an easy to see cause.
    2 babies died. But fuck them, right? What’s Abbott’s profit margin on formula? Maybe they shouldn’t produce a product that can cause death and sell it to the public?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149

how can you compare baby formula, which has been a thing for years, to a vaccine for a brand new virus? apples and oranges?

i do not follow your point.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."