Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Do you people run with earbuds or on-ear headphones?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Earbuds when doing music, for me

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    I run with ear buds. I use either Bose Sound Sport or JBL. Even though they are Bluetooth I like when there is a wire tethering the two earbuds together so it makes it less likely to lose one while running. Just make sure they are made for running or sports or they won’t last very long due to sweat or if you run in bad weather. 
    edited March 2022
    GlowGirl said:
    I run with ear buds. I use either Bose Sound Sport or JBL. Even though they are Bluetooth I like when there is a wire tethering the two earbuds together so it makes it less likely to lose one while running. Just make sure they are made for running or sports or they won’t last very long due to sweat or if you run in bad weather. 
    I looked into buying some "cheap" thethered earbuds. But I found a clerence sale on a pair of on-ear ones (bluetooth) that made them cheaper than no-name bluetooth thethered earbuds. They were like 29 bucks.

But I prefer earbuds in general and especially when running (I think). The Bose Sound Sport are expensive though... 133 dollars. Hehe. But a pair of JBL "sports" ones were 51 dollars, so I pick them up.

JBL Endurance Run Wireless:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    On ear Bluetooth headphones for me. Can get quite warm but I can't deal with the cord around my neck and I don't find cordless ear buds secure enough once sweaty
    beatiful early morning 14 miler today. Tough sessions ahead tomorrow morning. Just 2 more weekends of training after this one.
    GlowGirl said:
    I looked into buying some "cheap" thethered earbuds. But I found a clerence sale on a pair of on-ear ones (bluetooth) that made them cheaper than no-name bluetooth thethered earbuds. They were like 29 bucks.

But I prefer earbuds in general and especially when running (I think). The Bose Sound Sport are expensive though... 133 dollars. Hehe. But a pair of JBL "sports" ones were 51 dollars, so I pick them up.

JBL Endurance Run Wireless:

Great. I have a different model JBL. I think mine were around $80. But that is a good brand. I really like the sound from the Bose though. Since I use them a lot, even when not running - it was worth the cost for me. I am on my second pair. But the earpieces on the Bose are more awkward than the JBLs. So either or. My absolute favorite was Jaybird. But they stopped making the ones with the cord that attaches the two earbuds and I am not ready to run with fully wireless. I am definitely afraid of one falling out. 
    beano.79 said:
    beatiful early morning 14 miler today. Tough sessions ahead tomorrow morning. Just 2 more weekends of training after this one.
    Beautiful. The weather sent me to the treadmill today. But I had a good run. It is very easy to zone out on the treadmill with good music in your ears. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Beautful view!

We got drenched today but the boy learned what it is to run when you say you are going to run.  Pouring rain.  He ran some, played some soccer, and popped the umbrella and watched me finish my run.  
    I will give him credit - he waited until we got home to complain about how cold was, how wet he was, and how much more he likes running when it is not raining.
    :rofl:   

Beautful view!

We got drenched today but the boy learned what it is to run when you say you are going to run.  Pouring rain.  He ran some, played some soccer, and popped the umbrella and watched me finish my run.  
    I will give him credit - he waited until we got home to complain about how cold was, how wet he was, and how much more he likes running when it is not raining.
    :rofl:   

Good job giving life lessons, and running outside today 👏👏👏
    Haven't run since November 2020. But now I have bought a pair of "real" running shoes, and I bought new headphones. So yesterday morning I went out to start my running journey again... but man, I guess I ran like 300 metres before stopping. And walked the rest. 

I did like 5-7km in 2020... guess I have to get the body back into shape... and maybe there was a motivation-problem.

THE JOURNEY HAS STARTED AGAIN THOUGH. 
    Haven't run since November 2020. But now I have bought a pair of "real" running shoes, and I bought new headphones. So yesterday morning I went out to start my running journey again... but man, I guess I ran like 300 metres before stopping. And walked the rest. 

I did like 5-7km in 2020... guess I have to get the body back into shape... and maybe there was a motivation-problem.

THE JOURNEY HAS STARTED AGAIN THOUGH. 
    That is all that matters. Just keep at it. I started by alternating walking and running, and then kept running more and walking less until I was only running.

Baby steps, man, baby steps.  It will come back to you.  Good on you for getting back out there.

Went out today on my lunchbreak while working from home. Would like to find a nice 30-40 min route for my lunchbreaks. 

But before even a kilometer my lower back, left side started to hurt a lot. Maybe it's not being used to the shoes. 

Anyways, I jogged slowly and walked with my hurt back for 25 minutes. Like 3,5 quick kilometres. 

It's a start. Hopefully the backpain disappears. 
    Went out today on my lunchbreak while working from home. Would like to find a nice 30-40 min route for my lunchbreaks. 

But before even a kilometer my lower back, left side started to hurt a lot. Maybe it's not being used to the shoes. 

Anyways, I jogged slowly and walked with my hurt back for 25 minutes. Like 3,5 quick kilometres. 

Good job on the effort today. Your back pain could be from your running posture. I was having neck pain from that. There are some good websites that discuss running posture. See if that could be the cause. If your feet don't hurt, it is probably not your shoes. Also, are you sure it was your back, and not your side - it could be a side cramp. Sometimes, drinking water and walking for a few minutes helps with that. I also get those if I run on an empty stomach. Usually, if I eat a banana before I run I can avoid those side cramps. But keep trying. You should get in the swing of things shortly.

Good stuff, I'm sure the aches and pains will ease once you get some consistency back. It's just cool that you've started up again
    Good work!
    Agree that aches and pains can be a part of it.  Your body needs a warmup period before you can go all Gene Simmons or Super Mario on everyone.
    Awesome!
    beano.79 said:
    That looks amazing. I can't wait to hear all about it,

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622

Your lower back hurts because you have weak hamstrings..causes your back muscles to work harder to support your stride.  Stretch them a few times a day and keep running. As they get stronger the back pain will go away. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

edited March 2022
    First race since the doc told me to stop ✋️ running.
    A fast 5k course so PR'd, albeit by less than a minute.:lol:
    Finished 4th in the age bracket and 18th, overall, out of 191.  
    Always happy with a PR, and it felt great to run with a group, again.  (I succeeded in catching the last "target" just short of the finish, that was fun.)

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Always happy with a PR, and it felt great to run with a group, again.  (I succeeded in catching the last "target" just short of the finish, that was fun.)

Excellent work!! That must have felt great. I am visiting my family so I went to my brother’s house to use his treadmill. Got 5 miles in. His treadmill has one of those built in fans that the ones at my very expensive gym do not have. I think it made a difference in terms of not feeling as overheated. 
    Thanks.  Yes, it feels great to run with a slower group.  :lol:   
    Is there snow on the ground where you are?

We are down at the beach.  Atlantic  City for the run and in Ocean City for the weekend.  The wind was a bitch (west, so pushing on me, both ways!) But it is beautiful.   Going to run again tomorrow AM because I'm surrounded by great views, although I'm not generally running consecutive  days now.
    Thanks.  Yes, it feels great to run with a slower group.  :lol:   
    Is there snow on the ground where you are?

We are down at the beach.  Atlantic  City for the run and in Ocean City for the weekend.  The wind was a bitch (west, so pushing on me, both ways!) But it is beautiful.   Going to run again tomorrow AM because I'm surrounded by great views, although I'm not generally running consecutive  days now.
    No snow. It was actually a beautiful day in the 70s. A perfect day for running outside. But I just wasn’t in the mood to deal with the massive hills around my parents house so I just did a quick treadmill run at my brother’s and then spent some time outside. 
    Hope you have a great visit.
    Went over one of the bridges and back today, this connects Ocean City to Somers Point.  It was a really beautiful run, did stop to admire and take pics a few times.  Just under 5 miles and some "hill work", which felt great.

This was the starting point:

This sign was on the far side.  
    A look at the return climb....there are two spots where it goes way up to allow for boats to go through.

And a few other views along the way.
    Ever since I started running I have wanted to run this bridge when we cone down here....finally made it a part of the trip. 

We'll in mate! In my language 'stop running' translates to 'run a race'. Sounds like you ran well 👍
    So this is the hill I have spent the last couple months repeating . It's not much, but even though the photo doesn't show it, it's just too steep to run so it's been good for power hiking up and running down. You can see a gate and a person at the top for reference and a slight track we have created over the weeks 😂