Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 697
    beano.79 said:
    Good work SC, just keep moving!

One week out from the 26.2.  
    Feeling ready?
    I think so.  Visiting family the last 4 days and half of them are sick.  Hoping that doesn't kick me, but otherwise think I'm as ready as I'm gonna be!
    Looking forward to hearing about it! 👌
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    I gave the new Brooks Ghost Max a go today. They're just awesome. Fifteen miles, felt great and ready to go another fifteen. So comfortable! Worth every penny. :-)
    What type of shoe are they? Max cushioned?

Yes, it's a max cushioned version of the Ghost. It also features a "rockered midsole." Meant for longer runs (13+ miles), weighs 9/ 10 oz.

I didn't expect the shoe to make such a difference, but, wow!
    They sound interesting, definitely a great feeling when a shoe just clicks like that
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,959
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hey I know you guys know this but make sure you stretch and take care of your achilles!  I ruptured mine in August by a simple weight shift of backwards to forwards; I just started walking again this past Wednesday.  I can't get on a treadmill until 9-11 months post surgery, who knows about trail running.  getting old sucks.  
    Sorry you are dealing with this. Are you in PT right now?
    Yes I go to PT 3x a week for the next few months.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    edited November 2023
    2023 marathon in the books.  I PRd by 23 minutes, although I missed my goal by 24 minutes.  Was on pace halfway through but just could not gut out the back pain as we started on downhill miles....and then my knee decided that it hates me with a passion.  Wanted to walk but walking actually hurt significantly more than running.  So, I ran very slowly the last hour.  :lol:   
    I feel awful, which is what one deserves for doing this at 49 yrs of age....and I'm happy to finish and feel this poorly.  
    We are a sick lot!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    2023 marathon in the books.  I PRd by 23 minutes, although I missed my goal by 24 minutes.  Was on pace halfway through but just could not gut out the back pain as we started on downhill miles....and then my knee decided that it hates me with a passion.  Wanted to walk but walking actually hurt significantly more than running.  So, I ran very slowly the last hour.  :lol:   
    I feel awful, which is what one deserves for doing this at 49 yrs of age....and I'm happy to finish and feel this poorly.  
    We are a sick lot!
    Great job mate! Always have to be happy with a PB time by that far! I won't ask if you enjoyed it 😂
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,034
    We are a sick lot!
    Great job!! I can't even imagine running a marathon. I am sorry you had some pain. I hope you are feeling better now.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    Thanks yall.  
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    We are a sick lot!
    Congrats on the massive PR!

Do you think you will do another marathon?  
  • Options
    Thanks.
    Not sure.  Doc told me to stop running back in 2021 and I instead shifted away from long races ( had just done a 50k, had done a few marathons within the year plus preceding) and I just wanted go do longer runs, spend more time running, and try again.  
    I may focus again on doing 5ks, 10ks,10 miles, and perhaps Halfs moving forward.
    My sister is killing me to do obstacle races with her.  She is a Spartan veteran.   

Time will tell. 

Have a 5k (and a 1 miler with the 9 yr old before the 5k) on Dec 10th but no other races booked right now.    Still want to get below 20 minutes as an old fart in the 5ks.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    Not sure.  Doc told me to stop running back in 2021 and I instead shifted away from long races ( had just done a 50k, had done a few marathons within the year plus preceding) and I just wanted go do longer runs, spend more time running, and try again.  
    I may focus again on doing 5ks, 10ks,10 miles, and perhaps Halfs moving forward.
    My sister is killing me to do obstacle races with her.  She is a Spartan veteran.   

Time will tell. 

Have a 5k (and a 1 miler with the 9 yr old before the 5k) on Dec 10th but no other races booked right now.    Still want to get below 20 minutes as an old fart in the 5ks.
    Awesome job! I can't wait to get back to running. 

I have a nerve study tomorrow to hopefully figure out wth is up with my hip/pelvis. Pretty sure it's a nerve impingement.  I'm signed up for a marathon in late April, need to get back to running soon if I have any hope of running it.
  • Options
    Hope you learn good news tomorrow!
  • Options
    Thanks.

Time will tell. 

A sub-20 minute 5K would be impressive (I think that is 6:20ish pace).  I had that goal a few years ago but I do not think it is happening.  I am going to try and stick with an annual marathon and some half marathons to see if I can break 4 hours before I get too old.  Recover is getting much more difficult after my mid 40s.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Time will tell. 

I have a nerve study tomorrow to hopefully figure out wth is up with my hip/pelvis. Pretty sure it's a nerve impingement.  I'm signed up for a marathon in late April, need to get back to running soon if I have any hope of running it.
    Would you let me know what the nerve testing is like?  I have a back issue that leads to nerve problems in my leg (leading to glute and hamstring weakness) but I have never had the nerve testing done.  
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Thanks.

Time will tell. 

Would you let me know what the nerve testing is like?  I have a back issue that leads to nerve problems in my leg (leading to glute and hamstring weakness) but I have never had the nerve testing done.  
    I will, I've been told it's not pleasant, but not terrible either 
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Thanks.

Time will tell. 

The nerve testing they did for me wasn't too bad. It mostly focused on my right leg though. Not very uncomfortable, the shocks were not very intense.

Now some if the muscle testing wasn't great. They stick a small needle in some muscles, have you engage the muscle and relax it. The needle going in wasn't bad other than the side of my foot. Engaging my back muscles with the needle in it, was not something I'd choose to do again though 😵 

Ultimately they didn't find much with the testing, other than ruling a bunch of things out. The dr who did the test is pretty certain my issue is inflammation of the adductor magnus, and said treatment options include trigger point injections, and therapeutic ultrasound. 

I meet with the sports medicine Dr next week to confirm treatment plan.
  • Options
    We are a sick lot!
    How is that recovery going?
  • Options
    First morning where I am walking around normally.  Won't run again until Monday, I think, and I'm for sure still sore.  
  • Options
    Take it easy today for sure. Just stuff yourself with food like the day is meant to be 😀
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 407
    Great job on the marathon! You've earned your rest!
  • Options
    no long run this weekend as I'm tapering for next Sunday, but I had some pent up energy so decided on a decent 10k effort. Felt really good, I've felt great for months now so hopefully next week will be a success, then ease off a little for Christmas
  • Options
    Last stretch before my half this weekend! Feeling pretty good. I ran my first sub-30 5k last week at the local turkey trot. I haven't run anything over 9 miles yet, but I've had a consistent 7-9 mile run every week for a month, along with two 5Ks each week, so I think I have enough to get through the race. Weather has become questionable with rain, but at least the temps are supposed to be in the 40s and 50s, so it could be worse.

My goals are 2:30 (on the fast side), 2;45 (more likely) and finishing feeling good (at least mentally).  Will keep you all posted!!!
  • Options
    Good luck this weekend to you both!!

Beano, you are going to kill it.  Throwing up a sub 7 average on an easy tapering run....damn!  Can't wait to hear back!

PK1973, you put in good work and congrats on setting a new 5K mark.
    40s and 50s is actually good.  50 is ideal, I think, for a race.  If you are concerned about the temp, use a layer, but I ran in "feels like" 20 degrees this AM and was still heated up after 20 minutes.  
    Rain kinda sucks but as long as it is not pouring it is not too bad.  Good luck with this first Half for you!

Had some calf tightness on my first run back out there today but otherwise felt good.  Started doing push ups again (a month off and I am greatly impacted) and my stretching routine.  Starting slowly so I hope the back will hold up.  Damn this getting old thing....
  • Options
    PJ1973 said:
    Last stretch before my half this weekend! Feeling pretty good. I ran my first sub-30 5k last week at the local turkey trot. I haven't run anything over 9 miles yet, but I've had a consistent 7-9 mile run every week for a month, along with two 5Ks each week, so I think I have enough to get through the race. Weather has become questionable with rain, but at least the temps are supposed to be in the 40s and 50s, so it could be worse.

My goals are 2:30 (on the fast side), 2;45 (more likely) and finishing feeling good (at least mentally).  Will keep you all posted!!!
    Good luck! Look forward to hearing about it.
  • Options
    Good luck this weekend to everyone. Make sure to let us know what happened. I hope you all reach your goals. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the well wishes, and good luck to you Beano. Hope we all have a good running weekend!
  • Options
    Finally got a diagnosis from an MRI of my leg this week, mild-moderate proximal right hamstring tendinosis/enthesopathy 

Will meet with the Dr next week to go over results and treatment plan. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for treatment. 
  • Options
    PJ1973 said:

Good luck and most of all, enjoy!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Finally got a diagnosis from an MRI of my leg this week, mild-moderate proximal right hamstring tendinosis/enthesopathy 

Will meet with the Dr next week to go over results and treatment plan. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for treatment. 
    That sounds good, relative to what it could have been.  Tendinitis sucks, but I'm sure you will get on a good plan to strengthen and support.  
  • Options
    I survived!

I was expecting around 2:40-2:45 with 2;30 as my big goal to aim for.

I ran it in 2:25  :)

I felt great for the first 7, then started to feel the fatigue. A lot of hills at the middle so made sense. I benefitted from knowing the course so could pace some walks at the right time. In the end I lost only 12 seconds per mile on the back half than the first, so I was pretty consistent. 9 was the most I ran before, and i could sense my mental energy drain at mile 11 but rallied with the end in sight. Felt good after, but pretty soon started to get sore. Didn't sleep well last night but I'm still mobile! Most frustrating thing of the day was I hit my Garmin as I crossed the line...at 13.09...so my app doesn't catalog I did a Half  :|  

Still amazed I did this. I started the year running .8 miles at the indoor track at the Y and ended with a half. Gonna take some time off, and then back at it for possibly Richmond Half in March. Thanks for the support and the tips here over the past few months. Hope everyone else's runs are going well!

https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/91249/IndividualResult/bcGC?resultSetId=427780#U53098348