Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 701
    That sounds like a great challenge...I bet you van do it!
    Is it flat or are there hills?
    What is temp like?

It'll be pretty flat, by December here the weather could be anything from freezing a frosty to very mild and wet
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,733
    Hoping for about 12c for you.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

I'll take anything that isn't a torrential downpour!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,733
    beano.79 said:

I'll take anything that isn't a torrential downpour!
    Yeah that is what I'm hoping doesn't happen for upcoming marathon. 
  • Options
    Put up a rack for the 9 yr old to fill up.  Two in, so far.
    Liked the shot, showing what is hanging next to it.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,099
    beano.79 said:
    That sounds like a great challenge...I bet you van do it!
    Is it flat or are there hills?
    What is temp like?

It'll be pretty flat, by December here the weather could be anything from freezing a frosty to very mild and wet
    I hope you get great weather. It sounds like you are up for this challenge. 
  • Options
    Put up a rack for the 9 yr old to fill up.  Two in, so far.
    Liked the shot, showing what is hanging next to it.

Perfect place next to that poster. I bet he fills up that rack in no time at all. 
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 407
    Did my first 8 miler last weekend and felt great through 7.5 of it. Last half, my foot was killing me, but it was ok by the time I got home and stretched it out. Gonna work my way up and think I can get two 10 milers in before the half December 2nd. My training group goes for another week so hopefully will get a few workouts to take with me for the last month.

(the training group was timed for the Richmond Marathon, which is 11/11)
  • Options
    Good work!
    12 miles tomorrow am and next week the longest I go is 8, as fhe taper continues.  Just over 2 weeks out.   My back is still kinda fucked, hopefully going nice and easy tomorrow won't bother it too much.
  • Options
    Good work!
    12 miles tomorrow am and next week the longest I go is 8, as fhe taper continues.  Just over 2 weeks out.   My back is still kinda fucked, hopefully going nice and easy tomorrow won't bother it too much.
    Getting exciting, just remember with a taper if you have an on going problem it's best to under cook it than over. 

During my 2 week taper for the half I ran 3 times the first week, then got sick and did 1 3 miler on the Friday before the race, so only 4 runs in 2 weeks and ran the best half I've ever run
  • Options
    Good advice.  Too bad I'm am idiot.  :lol:
    Have a 10k that I do every year, on Sunday.  I won't go for PR but I want to get a good time.  So long as back cooperates I will give her a go.

After that, I'm down to peanuts for next two weeks.

Good news is that the pain was manageable today for the 12 miles.  I'm sure I will have other things hurting on race day to help distract me.  :rofl:    
  • Options
    Good long run today, 4 weeks out from the race and feeling really good... A bit pissed off with what coros had to say about my running performance though 😂
  • Options
    Looks like everyone is doing some great runs. For some reason I have been feeling very unmotivated to run. I have not skipped any runs but where I used to look forward to them I am starting to dread them. Last week I had two really bad runs where I wanted to stop shortly after I started but I managed to finish them. Yesterday, I really didn’t want to run but actually ended up having a good run for the first time all week. Have any of you gone through phases where you just hate it and don’t want to run anymore. I really hope it passes because I am going to continue to run whether I like it or not and I prefer to like it again. Any advice?
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Looks like everyone is doing some great runs. For some reason I have been feeling very unmotivated to run. I have not skipped any runs but where I used to look forward to them I am starting to dread them. Last week I had two really bad runs where I wanted to stop shortly after I started but I managed to finish them. Yesterday, I really didn’t want to run but actually ended up having a good run for the first time all week. Have any of you gone through phases where you just hate it and don’t want to run anymore. I really hope it passes because I am going to continue to run whether I like it or not and I prefer to like it again. Any advice?
    Maybe consider entering a small local race or something to get the juices flowing? Or get involved in a park run nearby?

Buy new running shoes! 😁

Maybe try running a little different by putting some short/faster bursts mixed in at intervals.

Sometimes taking a week off can be good to if you're feeling a little mentally burnt out by running.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I like those ideas, those are great.
    Putting some new routes might step up the interest as well.  You might have to jump a train or something but I'm sure you have some beautiful runs around you that you've not run before or frequently.   

Nice work Beano...I laughed at the remark about your software's "poor" run designation.  

Took almost a minute off my course record for this 10k race, today.  I love the course as it goes over a large bridge connecting NJ and PA and it a beautiful run.  My back was barking but I seem to be intact and I didn't push too hard.  Could have probably taken 5 minutes off my time if I really got after it, but I tried to be less of an idiot and go easy on my body at the same time as having a good run.

20th in the old man age bracket I'm in.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    A pic prior to the race as we were getting ready to line up.  Can get a little perspective at how much of a hill this bridge presents....the first 5 k is just the over and back on the bridge....then we go down and around the city for the 2nd half.

• Options
    Thanks for advice about getting my running mojo back. I will try some of these. I hope I can get my motivation back. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,370
    GlowGirl said:

Sometimes I find that I need external accountability -- like a fundraising run. I'd be mortified to not follow through on training for a fundraiser, whereas at other times I seem to have all kinds of excuses.

Des Linden says to get out and give it a go, anyway, tell yourself you're just going to go one mile. If you aren't feeling it after that mile, then okay, but she seems to think that it's pretty rare that you will run that mile and not keep going.

Also, my husband and I had Covid in February, and our energy and motivation have been dead in the water since then. I don't know that we have long Covid -- it could just be that work/travel/life are overwhelming -- but we just aren't where we were.

Another strategy some people recommend: reframe things from "I have to go for a run" to "I get to go for a run!" --  I do find that this can help me. I started running seriously, vs. casually, fifteen years ago when illness had left me struggling to walk across the room. 35,000 miles later -- yeah, motivation and discipline aren't always there, but remembering being not even forty years old and unable to play with my kids reminds me that I'm fortunate to be able to do what I can do now.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    I gave the new Brooks Ghost Max a go today. They're just awesome. Fifteen miles, felt great and ready to go another fifteen. So comfortable! Worth every penny. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Working two jobs at the moment so havent prioritized keeping up with the running. Will try to get back into twice per week in december

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I gave the new Brooks Ghost Max a go today. They're just awesome. Fifteen miles, felt great and ready to go another fifteen. So comfortable! Worth every penny. :-)
    What type of shoe are they? Max cushioned?
  • Options
    Working two jobs at the moment so havent prioritized keeping up with the running. Will try to get back into twice per week in december

Good run, life definitely does get in the way sometimes
  • Options
    Good work SC, just keep moving!

One week out from the 26.2.  
  • Options

Feeling ready?
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Feeling ready?
    I think so.  Visiting family the last 4 days and half of them are sick.  Hoping that doesn't kick me, but otherwise think I'm as ready as I'm gonna be!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,989
    Hey I know you guys know this but make sure you stretch and take care of your achilles!  I ruptured mine in August by a simple weight shift of backwards to forwards; I just started walking again this past Wednesday.  I can't get on a treadmill until 9-11 months post surgery, who knows about trail running.  getting old sucks.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    What type of shoe are they? Max cushioned?

Yes, it's a max cushioned version of the Ghost. It also features a "rockered midsole." Meant for longer runs (13+ miles), weighs 9/ 10 oz.

I didn't expect the shoe to make such a difference, but, wow!
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Feeling ready?
    I think so.  Visiting family the last 4 days and half of them are sick.  Hoping that doesn't kick me, but otherwise think I'm as ready as I'm gonna be!
    I am sure you will do great!!
  • Options

Nice job!! It’s great you are recommitting to running. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hey I know you guys know this but make sure you stretch and take care of your achilles!  I ruptured mine in August by a simple weight shift of backwards to forwards; I just started walking again this past Wednesday.  I can't get on a treadmill until 9-11 months post surgery, who knows about trail running.  getting old sucks.  
    Sorry you are dealing with this. Are you in PT right now?