Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Terry Glavin: Dominic Barton's main role in bringing the Michaels home was as a flight attendant

Another crooked liberal and friend with the Trudeau crime family..

At least the 2 Micheals got good pain killers coming home…

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2021

Sabrina Maddeaux: No excuse for Canada’s growing HIV epidemic other than the 'loser' Liberals' lack of will

The disparity between Canada’s HIV outlook and those of comparable nations has grown rapidly since Justin Trudeau’s Liberals took office in 2015, despite his very public promises to end the HIV crisis. Our number of new HIV cases increased by 25.3 per cent between 2014 and 2020. The U.S. saw a decline of around nine per cent in the same period. Meanwhile, after double-digit decreases, the U.K. is on track to diminish new HIV infections to near-zero by 2030. Canada is also the only developed nation to report growing HIV rates among women.

Why are people surprised.  Trudeau and liberal cronies are incompetent.  He only got 30% of the vote and needs to rely on that dipshit running the NDP for survival…we got 2 leftist dipshits in charge…

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Zod said:
    and here I was kind of hoping we'd get s 3 or 4 strikes law or something so revolving criminals would either have to stay in jail, or if it's mental health/drug addiction be sentenced to get help.

It's brutal out here in Victoria.  Police do the work and the courts let 'em on back out.   Revolving door of the same people.  Sucks to be a cop right now.
    Toronto’s not any better, and I agree with you on either a 3 strikes rule or bail reform, things that might make the streets safer.

I’m not necessarily against dropping the drug-related minimums if the goal is to get addicts into effective treatment (have to look closer at what charges are affected, if it’s regarding the traffickers then I say (maybe) keep the mandatory minimums in place).

For me this is just another sign of this government’s blatant hypocrisy on numerous issues.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Trudeau is incapable of doing the right thing like joining the diplomatic boycott of the Olympics and banning that Chinese telecom from the Canadian market.  Who are our allies, the US or China?  The US of course.   But Trudeau is a Cuba, communist loving clown…he is a dicktator.  Remember Trudeau admires China and Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver elected this fool…
    I’m guessing he felt cornered in by several of our allies joining the U.S. diplomatic boycott. Hopefully we’re not just sending the PRC a couple hundred hostages. Personally I would have been happy with a full boycott.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-diplomatic-boycott-winter-olympic-games-1.6277773

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    or, maybe, just maybe, he didn't want to announce until he was sure our closest allies were doing the same, and once they announced, weighing the pros and cons. it's not such an easy decision for a country like canada to diplomatically take on a world power like china, especially without unilateral allied support. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

or, maybe, just maybe, he didn't want to announce until he was sure our closest allies were doing the same, and once they announced, weighing the pros and cons. it's not such an easy decision for a country like canada to diplomatically take on a world power like china, especially without unilateral allied support. 

I suppose that's one way to look at it,  but that then begs the question why the current delay on Huawei and 5G? His track record doesn't really support your assertion in my opinion. Foreign affairs under Trudeau have been a joke (look at their peacekeeping numbers the last 6 years), but he's quick to make bold announcements on other topics (climate being a prime example).

The article Meltdown99 posted about AIDS rates includes some very troubling facts about First Nations infection rates which one would think would be a priority for a government so committed to the cause of reconciliation.

Trudeau is incapable of doing the right thing like joining the diplomatic boycott of the Olympics and banning that Chinese telecom from the Canadian market.  Who are our allies, the US or China?  The US of course.   But Trudeau is a Cuba, communist loving clown…he is a dicktator.  Remember Trudeau admires China and Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver elected this fool…
    I’m guessing he felt cornered in by several of our allies joining the U.S. diplomatic boycott. Hopefully we’re not just sending the PRC a couple hundred hostages. Personally I would have been happy with a full boycott.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-diplomatic-boycott-winter-olympic-games-1.6277773
    I agree a full boycott would be perfect.

Now ban that Chinese telecom company should be next up…
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…

Countries in good hand with these stoners..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited December 2021
    I agree, Canada should do a total boycott of the Olympics, but we know it is all about the money. The COC will never do it for moral reasons. I wish the NHL would stand up like the woman’s tennis association.

My other beef is that these are not essential. Regular people are being asked to sacrifice all the time, while athletes are given a pass. Again, not essential.
    What was a Canadian field hockey doing in South Africa? Poor judgment in these times

And it’s not like Canada has the moral high ground. Look at our recent issues as well as the latest Quebec debacle with Bill 21.

Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    erebus said:
    I agree, Canada should do a total boycott of the Olympics, but we know it is all about the money. The COC will never do it for moral reasons. I wish the NHL would stand up like the woman’s tennis association.

My other beef is that these are not essential. Regular people are being asked to sacrifice all the time, while athletes are given a pass. Again, not essential.
    What was a Canadian field hockey doing in South Africa? Poor judgment in these times

And it’s not like Canada has the moral high ground. Look at our recent issues as well as the latest Quebec debacle with Bill 21.

I also don’t see much point in a diplomatic boycott. No one really cares if the diplomats aren’t there, with the exception of a few diplomats. The Olympics is just a massive and costly PR exercise and as long as countries send athletes then the PR goal is accomplished. 

Not sure what your reference is to South Africa. By “these times ” do you mean covid or politics, or something else? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Olympics seemed like a pointless venture before all this BS... and now it is even more so. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    The Toronto Star wrote a piece that has Ford winning in June.  Not a Ford fan but he’s better than the 3 time NDP loser and the leader leader who lost his own seat in 2018 but now is somehow premier material, more proof that the dumb are leading us…lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
     Not sure what your reference is to South Africa. By “these times ” do you mean covid or politics, or something else? ”

Yes, non essential travel during a pandemic.
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:
    “ Not sure what your reference is to South Africa. By “these times ” do you mean covid or politics, or something else? ”

Yes, non essential travel during a pandemic.
    I don’t really have an issue with that. The restriction on nonessential travel was lifted some time ago  and the team was headed to the Junior World Cup, which I am assuming is a big deal for them. I think it’s important for everyone who travels now for any reason to be aware that rules can change in an instant and they may well get stuck, but I don’t see that as a reason to have zero travel. We may well face an ebb and flow in this pandemic for months or years yet. 
    edited December 2021

Give Peas A Chance…

Imagine the response from the prime minister if Ford  or Kenney made that comment…but it’s racist Quebec they 
    can do as they please…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,439
    ^or melt the vinyl?  :open_mouth:

Give Peas A Chance…
    Trudeau called the unvaccinated racist, and I was talking to an unvaccinated person who said “Trudeau can call me racist until Trudeau turns black in the face.”

when liberals talk racism, we should listen…they KNOW.

Give Peas A Chance…
    post another racist fortune cookie meme. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

maybe your cult leader should check with stats canada and see who is not getting vaccinated?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    cult leader. jesus. so stupid. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Just like Trudeau’s idiot health minister urging provinces to make vaccines mandatory … more proof that the dumb are leading.  Lol.

good luck with that…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Just like Trudeau’s idiot health minister urging provinces to make vaccines mandatory … more proof that the dumb are leading.  Lol.

good luck with that…
    How the fuck are you still posting here after posting racist shit?

Not even a timeout?
    I'm curious what everyone here's opinion is on the proposed Quebec taxing of the unvaccinated. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:
    I'm curious what everyone here's opinion is on the proposed Quebec taxing of the unvaccinated. 
    I'm on the fence about it, to be honest. I need to hear arguments from people as to the perceived benefit and the possible "freedom of choice" this may violate. and the slippery slope argument that anti-vaxxers are certainly going to make about people with other "chosen" conditions like obesity, if they should start getting taxed or not. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Parksy said:
    I'm on the fence about it, to be honest. I need to hear arguments from people as to the perceived benefit and the possible "freedom of choice" this may violate. and the slippery slope argument that anti-vaxxers are certainly going to make about people with other "chosen" conditions like obesity, if they should start getting taxed or not. 
    Agreed.  I'm not overly familiar with Quebec's handling of things but if they're taking any notes from Fordsy.. they'll make a decision like this without addressing concerns of those opposed. 

I honestly see people's argument against this. I'm on the opinion that we (society) should do all we can to put this pandemic behind us up to and including and from what the experts are saying is THE best tool in the tool bag... vaccination.  

People on the net at least who point to other people's lifestyle choices... make a point, but not a very good one in comparison IMO. 

I'm personally diabetic and I smoke weed like a chimney. (Used to I should say) These are admittedly poor lifestyle choices and while diabetes runs in my family.. I'll be the first to admit I don't eat as well as I should. (I'm trying to make changes... here's for a healthier 2022!)   

If someone were to point towards me as an example of someone who perhaps should also be given a health tax, I would say... ok.. but compared to this pandemic, show me the shot or shots in the arm I can take to prevent that tax and I'll be there in a heartbeat.  To me the vaccine is just so much easier to prevent COVID than me changing my lifestyle and family history. 

(Feel free to challenge me, I won't get offended... here to hear other people's opinions.)
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    I need more information first as to what the plan would be. In general I'm opposed to measures that place more of a financial burden on people seeking health care, but it's not clear that this is what is being talked about. If it in any way penalizes people for seeking health care then it's likely to be counterproductive and discriminatory for those of low income. I suppose there could be ways that it could be structured that didn't have this effect but I would need to see the nitty gritty of the proposal. 

Practicalities aside, there are interesting ethical questions there but I don't see it as a "slippery slope", since we already tax some unhealthy behaviours highly (cigarettes, alcohol, etc.). We don't do it evenly though, so that's a problem.