Cancelled!

Comments

• NY Post?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Did I miss this one? The word “looting” is canceled and racist? The correct term is “organized robberies”. Just a heads up. I don’t want anyone here getting in trouble for using such a racist term. 
    Sounds like we all missed it, where did you see this? 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nicknyr15 said:
    that's not saying the word is cancelled. it's saying the word has a specific definition; looting is during a chaotic event; they are saying don't call the incidents described in the article as looting since they were organized robberies. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15 said:
    that's not saying the word is cancelled. it's saying the word has a specific definition; looting is during a chaotic event; they are saying don't call the incidents described in the article as looting since they were organized robberies. 
    Agreed, nowhere does that article suggest we can't use the word looting anymore, only that it was wrong to use in reference to these incidents in CA, a point with which I also agree. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:
    Agreed, nowhere does that article suggest we can't use the word looting anymore, only that it was wrong to use in reference to these incidents in CA, a point with which I also agree. 
    It doesn’t insinuate that the term is racist? 
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    the article doesn't, no. but I watched the video at the top and yes, there is one guy who has about 2 5 second clips and he says that typically black people are called looters and whites are not. that's just plain false. 

one guy on a local news network piece claiming a term is used racially does not mean the word is cancelled. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    the article doesn't, no. but I watched the video at the top and yes, there is one guy who has about 2 5 second clips and he says that typically black people are called looters and whites are not. that's just plain false. 

one guy on a local news network piece claiming a term is used racially does not mean the word is cancelled. 
    Ok. But this paragraph sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. 

"Looting is a term that we typically use when people of color or urban dwellers are doing something. We tend not to use that term for other people when they do the exact same thing," said Boyd.
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

"Looting is a term that we typically use when people of color or urban dwellers are doing something. We tend not to use that term for other people when they do the exact same thing," said Boyd.
    my apologies, I must not have seen that particular comment (I swear I read the article lol). yes, that suggests the term is racial, but again, I still caution against worrying too much about one person in a local piece says. it is ridiculous, I agree with you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

my apologies, I must not have seen that particular comment (I swear I read the article lol). yes, that suggests the term is racial, but again, I still caution against worrying too much about one person in a local piece says. it is ridiculous, I agree with you. 
    All good! I’m not worrying at all. Just something to laugh about honestly. Smash and grab!
    NY Post?
    🙄🙄🙄
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Opportunistic alternative shopping? Does that sound better? No bias implied, at least until someone finds one.
    Opportunistic alternative shopping? Does that sound better? No bias implied, at least until someone finds one.
    That’s……….. incredible. 
    LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

From the article: 

"The penal code defines looting as "theft or burglary...during a 'state of emergency', 'local emergency', or 'evacuation order' resulting from an earthquake, fire, flood, riot or other natural or manmade disaster."

"To some, the distinction may be small, but Lorenzo Boyd, PhD, Professor of Criminal Justice & Community Policing at the University of New Haven, and a retired veteran police officer, emphasized that words matter."

"Looting is a term that we typically use when people of color or urban dwellers are doing something. We tend not to use that term for other people when they do the exact same thing," said Boyd."

It goes on: 

"These types of massive, organized smash and grabs were happening before the Rittenhouse situation, because it happens cyclically," said Boyd. "It's a false equivalency. It's people trying to politicize crime."

"Both experts expressed the importance of media literacy for viewers to critically think about the language used by public officials and the media as we all try to make sense of these complex issues our society is facing.

"People draw their own conclusions, if the terminologies that you use are tethered to people's understanding of how they have been used in the past," said Reynolds."

I have no problem with what's being said in this article (I didn't watch the video). He's drawing a distinction between looting and what's happening with these organized robberies in CA and I agree with his point. These incidents in CA aren't looting. That he suggests "looting" is typically referring to "people of color or urban dwellers" is his opinion, which he's entitled to. 

I personally don't think looting is a racist term, but in the wake of the Rittenhouse verdict, and the events that lead to the Rittenhouse shootings, I can understand why he would want to clarify the usage of the word in regards to what's happening in CA. 

Regardless, nowhere is it suggested the word "looting" needs to be cancelled. 
    edited November 2021
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

From the article: 

"The penal code defines looting as "theft or burglary...during a 'state of emergency', 'local emergency', or 'evacuation order' resulting from an earthquake, fire, flood, riot or other natural or manmade disaster."

"To some, the distinction may be small, but Lorenzo Boyd, PhD, Professor of Criminal Justice & Community Policing at the University of New Haven, and a retired veteran police officer, emphasized that words matter."

"Looting is a term that we typically use when people of color or urban dwellers are doing something. We tend not to use that term for other people when they do the exact same thing," said Boyd."

It goes on: 

"These types of massive, organized smash and grabs were happening before the Rittenhouse situation, because it happens cyclically," said Boyd. "It's a false equivalency. It's people trying to politicize crime."

"Both experts expressed the importance of media literacy for viewers to critically think about the language used by public officials and the media as we all try to make sense of these complex issues our society is facing.

"People draw their own conclusions, if the terminologies that you use are tethered to people's understanding of how they have been used in the past," said Reynolds."

I have no problem with what's being said in this article (I didn't watch the video). He's drawing a distinction between looting and what's happening with these organized robberies in CA and I agree with his point. These incidents in CA aren't looting. That he suggests "looting" is typically referring to "people of color or urban dwellers" is his opinion, which he's entitled to. 

I personally don't think looting is a racist term, but in the wake of the Rittenhouse verdict, and the events that lead to the Rittenhouse shootings, I can understand why he would want to clarify the usage of the word in regards to what's happening in CA. 

Thanks for this analysis but we’ve already settled on the term:
    ”Opportunistic alternative shopping”
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

From the article: 

It goes on: 

It was a response to your question. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

From the article: 

It goes on: 

I know. And I said thank you. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

From the article: 

It goes on: 

I know. And I said thank you. 

Yeah... you sure did, 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin

• 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ^^^Sutton showing Spiegelman some love!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • It can’t happen here. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Well if illegal immigration is just undocumented people....then it fits the mold.
    hippiemom = goodness
    It can’t happen here. 
    Definitely burn that one 
    (also, see my avatar photo)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Well, well, well. Look who’s all for cancel culture. To go along with the book burning and document tearing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/593271-trump-calls-for-directtv-boycott-if-it-removes-oan

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Well, well, well. Look who’s all for cancel culture. To go along with the book burning and document tearing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/593271-trump-calls-for-directtv-boycott-if-it-removes-oan

fucking dumbfuck. not renewing contract is a bit different than yanking them off air. its called free market......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Well, well, well. Look who’s all for cancel culture. To go along with the book burning and document tearing.

The hypocrisy (i.e., every accusation is also a confession) seems to be a feature.  Really, is the cognitive dissonance / mental gymnastics of the 100 million just that impressive or do they simply love having different rules for themselves while claiming the libs are the ones benefitting from different rules? I guess it paid off nicely in terms of the SCOTUS.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    edited March 2022
    Oh man… people were right to worry about cancel culture going too far… now people are trying to cancel Russia.
    Libz oughtta be ashamed of themselves.