Cancelled!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mickeyrat said:

I dug all of those clips but that last one, oh man, terrific- funny, heartbreaking, solid.  Pretty much cuts through all the haze.

I was thinking about the two transgender people I know pretty well (known both of them for a good 15 years or so).  One of them, Trans A, would listen to those clips and want to verbally slash the dude- they would "cancel" him.  They have a real chip on their shoulder and a lot of anger.  It sucks and there's really nothing anyone can say to them that is not in total agreement without betting burned for saying it.
    The other one, Trans B, would get what Chappelle is saying, maybe even laugh, but surely would not "cancel" the comedian.  
    So basically, like any group of people, there are differences among them.

And I'm saying all this as someone who really struggles with this issue.  That later person, Trans B?  I knew her as a dude for several years before he was a she.  Calling former him "her" has been a fucking struggle and a half for the first year or so.  It gets easier, but I still don't fully understand the whole thing.  I'm not comfortable with it.  Whose problem is that?  Yes, mine.  But please, don't fucking "cancel" someone like me because I haven't fully figured something out or embraced it.  Is it because I'm not "woke"?  No, screw that.  I'm just trying to learn and be open and honest.  And I care about this person a lot.  That's easy.
    And I'm sorry for being pissed off here, but I just hate that whole arrogant "cancel" and "woke" bullshit.  I'm for listening, learning, trying to be accepting, but at the same time being free to be honest about how we feel.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    Well said, Brian. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    nicknyr15 said:

Netflix employees protesting are free to quit their jobs if they do not like what Chapelle has to say. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    nicknyr15 said:
    Thus far, Netflix has stood firm in their defense of Chappelle and their own right, and obligation, to offer diverse points of view, but they appear to be wavering. Their employees are staging walkouts, and the Twitter Taliban smells blood in the water. Netflix needs a show of solidarity to keep their spine stiff. If you believe in freedom of speech, it is in your interest to call them at 844-505-2993 or tweet your support. #istandwithdave

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    nicknyr15 said:

Netflix employees protesting are free to quit their jobs if they do not like what Chapelle has to say. 
    Love it or leave it? Protest brings awareness. Awareness brings change. Social justice requires a presence.
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    On today's episode of 'Cancelled' ... we discuss Aaron Rodgers. :) 

Media types and sports personalities... and people in general are flaming Rodgers for misleading a reporter and the public... and possibly everyone by saying that he was indeed "immunized" after being asked if he was vaccinated and what his thoughts were on the vaccine protocols. 

Since those comments, Rodgers was seen on the field and off the field conducting himself as if he was vaccinated when it was later revealed after he tested positive for Covid that he was in fact not. 

People view his behaviour as deplorable, misleading, and entitled. 

Rodgers himself spoke today and cited that he was in the cross hairs of the 'woke mob cancel culture.'  In trying to clarify the situation he said that he learned months prior that he was allergic to some of the ingredients in the mRNA vaccine and requested that the league honour his own homeopathic measures to qualify as vaccinated.  The league said no and said that unless he got vaccinated, he would be deemed unvaccinated and as such, would need to follow protocols for the unvaccinated.  He also quoted Joe Rogan for helping him and also quoted MLK by saying 'you have a moral obligation to object to unjust rules that make no sense.' 

My take:  he's a D-Bag. 

I've said this many, many, many times before...  the problem with "cancel culture" is that more often than not, it will be used as a tactic to deflect blame and excuse ones self from accountability for wrong doing.  "I did nothing wrong, this is just the woke mob.  I did nothing wrong, this is cancel culture."   No Aaron, you're a D-Bag and people are calling you out for being one.  You can call it cancel culture all you want, but the truth is, you proved yourself to be a doosh, people called you  a doosh, but you can't accept that what you did was dooshy, so you're blaming cancel culture, which makes you an even bigger doosh.  And quoting MLK?  Seriously?  

Aside from him, if the team knew he wasn't vaccinated but was knowingly allowing him to break protocols time and time again, they should be punished. 

It'll be interesting to see where this goes if it goes anywhere at all. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    ^  I'm generally not a fan of Stephen A Smith...  but this video above here is rather comical and I very much agree with Smith. 

Somehow... Tebow equated this situation to 'if Rodgers gets punished for lying, don't you have to punish everyone for lying about anything.' To which the host then says 'Good point.'   

That's the dumbest point I've ever heard about anything, ever. It frightens me that some people function this way. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    allergic to an ingredient in the pfizer or moderna vax?

ok. then here sir, johnson and johnson....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

He claimed something about blood clots with J&J. 

He came off like a super douche today. I always felt he was a douche so it’s nice to see others realizing it. He made some points about mandates and masks that I agreed with. But he still misled everyone, and really, the Packers could be in bigger trouble than him for it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mickeyrat said:

He claimed something about blood clots with J&J. 

He came off like a super douche today. I always felt he was a douche so it’s nice to see others realizing it. He made some points about mandates and masks that I agreed with. But he still misled everyone, and really, the Packers could be in bigger trouble than him for it. 

Related/not related...  its a fascinating take that he makes and that you make and that I agree with.  But there is this underlying issue that... well it drives me crazy and it's been so publicly apparent since the pandemic.

There are so many rules and laws that I don't agree with.  Marijuana being one of them for all the years I smoked quite illegally before Canada made it legal (Thanks Canada!).   And I would be lying if I said I followed the rules and laws... I do not, did not, have not. But if a cop ever caught me smoking weed years ago when it was illegal and gave me a ticket... I would have no leg to stand on... for a very, very, simple reason:  I must follow the law or suffer the consequences.  

Masks, vaccines, passports, yeah...  some of them make sense, some don't, all of them are argued...   but they are rules they are laws. What I'm seeing quite disappointedly of late is folks who are so remarkably cavalier with public health rules and then complain about the consequences.  

In a democratic society, rules are made based often on majority.  Which can suck for the minority. But that doesn't mean you can just do what you want. Get enough people to agree with you to make those changes, sure.  But if not, suck it up buttercup and follow the rules of society.  Can't handle it, don't be amongst society. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Claiming to "cancel", and  being "woke" about someone like Aaron Rodgers does have one persistent affect- it further pisses off the idiots who side with him and persuade them to dig in their heels further, which in turn puts more people in jeopardy.  Instead of using hipster, trendy terms like "cancel" and "woke", can't we use just good, direct English and say, "I'm sorry, but I'm trying to stay safe and healthy, and people like Aaron Rodgers are a danger to themselves and others and I have no interest in being subject to that kind of reckless behavior."
    Or better yet, just ignore them and stop feeding the hype and they will blow off the screen in no time. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    The Rogers thing has nothing to do with being "woke" or being "cancelled". That's a smokescreen for the real issue, which is that he lied to avoid being vaccinated and now it's caught up with him. Nothing about this relates to being "woke".
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    He's a chump of a person.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    The Rogers thing has nothing to do with being "woke" or being "cancelled". That's a smokescreen for the real issue, which is that he lied to avoid being vaccinated and now it's caught up with him. Nothing about this relates to being "woke".

True.  Rogers own comment, "Rodgers himself spoke today and cited that he was in the cross hairs of the 'woke mob cancel culture,' was his of evading the real issue.  I wish the numbskulls would stop putting others at risk!

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    He lied because he didn't want to take criticism. He got caught and now he's lashing out because he doesn't like taking criticism. It's easy to win with much of the public if you come out swinging about cancel culture and wokeness. If the Packers win the Super Bowl, he's going to be positively insufferable.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    OnWis97 said:
    He lied because he didn't want to take criticism. He got caught and now he's lashing out because he doesn't like taking criticism. It's easy to win with much of the public if you come out swinging about cancel culture and wokeness. If the Packers win the Super Bowl, he's going to be positively insufferable.

Sure, I agree that that is his tactic. Still got nothing to do with "wokeness" other than a handy distraction. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    OnWis97 said:

Sure, I agree that that is his tactic. Still got nothing to do with "wokeness" other than a handy distraction. 
    Of course it doesn't.  Most right-wing catch phrases devolve into meaning almost nothing eventually. I see "snowflake" used for anyone that isn't MAGA, now. In the early days it was still lame but did have meaning.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Most catch-phrases, regardless of who’s spouting them, eventually devolve, get misused, overused, twisted, lost. Which is why I appreciate the English language.
    It bothers me a lot that folks use 'cancel culture' as an excuse to avoid accountability. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Rodgers may have made it official: the threshold to be considered “cancelled” is receipt of criticism.
    OnWis97 said:
    Rodgers may have made it official: the threshold to be considered “cancelled” is receipt of criticism.
    well put
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    They’re trying to cancel Big Bird. Liberals running amok.
    OnWis97 said:

ted cruz harping about propaganda targeting 5 yr olds. wasnt this big bird thing on twitter?

umm ted? you would let your 5 yr old on Twitter?

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    I don't need some oversized bird from liberal NYC telling my children it is ok to get a vaccine. Stick to the ABCs and 123s. ***SARCASM*** 
  • mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

ted cruz harping about propaganda targeting 5 yr olds. wasnt this big bird thing on twitter?

umm ted? you would let your 5 yr old on Twitter?
    If Big Bird is on twitter, his tweets must be targeted to kids. I don't think 5-year-olds are scrolling through their twitter feeds and coming across it. But I can see a parent sitting with a child in front of a laptop and showing them what Big Bird said today, which would probably be fun for kids. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Cancelling Big Bird?  Are these people sick? Redundant question.  Of course they are!  But how do they become this twisted?  Sounds awfully qr to me.
    Let's show some support and sing along with Big Bird!

"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz,
    Starts out like an a-word, as anyone can see,
    But somewhere in the middle,
    It gets awfully qr to me.
    oh abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz...

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524