Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    Booooo!! Tranny semen!!! 
    Jeez wtf is wrong with people. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    mickeyrat said:
    Anyone else get cancelled this weekend?

So I went to a comedy show out here in Long Island.  I was surprised that they used the word "retarted" and "gay" in a few of their sets.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest, you just don't here that anymore or I don't go to enough comedy shows.

context is everything
    I tend to agree but when Billie Eilish was given a ration of shit for her use of the word but thankfully that got shot down.

People are overly sensitive now and almost taught to be offended about every little thing.
    being offended over "retard" is not being overly sensitive it's exactly the right amount of sensitive. 

imagine if someone in the audience has a child that is mentally challenged. my director calls things he disagrees with "retarded" all the time. one of my coworkers has a severely disabled (mentally and physically) child (and he obviously knows this). she piped up a couple weeks ago "STOP SAYING THAT WORD". He was fucking clueless. He looked around like he had no idea what just happened. 

I understand comedy shows are different from the workplace. But there's a few things you just don't joke about. 
    I don't think frowning upon 'gay' as a pejorative (if that's how it was used) is all that overly sensitive either.

It doesn't offend me, but I get why using it that way CAN offend. 
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

So I went to a comedy show out here in Long Island.  I was surprised that they used the word "retarted" and "gay" in a few of their sets.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest, you just don't here that anymore or I don't go to enough comedy shows.

context is everything
    I tend to agree but when Billie Eilish was given a ration of shit for her use of the word but thankfully that got shot down.

People are overly sensitive now and almost taught to be offended about every little thing.
    being offended over "retard" is not being overly sensitive it's exactly the right amount of sensitive. 

imagine if someone in the audience has a child that is mentally challenged. my director calls things he disagrees with "retarded" all the time. one of my coworkers has a severely disabled (mentally and physically) child (and he obviously knows this). she piped up a couple weeks ago "STOP SAYING THAT WORD". He was fucking clueless. He looked around like he had no idea what just happened. 

I understand comedy shows are different from the workplace. But there's a few things you just don't joke about. 
    I don't think frowning upon 'gay' as a pejorative (if that's how it was used) is all that overly sensitive either.

my engine was retarded.

what do you think I mean?

as a means of slowing a truck on a downgrade while also preserving functionality of drum brakes , semi trucks have an engine retarder= engine brake = jacobs brake = jake brake.

context is everything.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

I get it but they aren't talking about that parents kid. I doubt your boss was talking about their kid too.  Sometimes a word has a completely different meaning.

Comedy should never, ever be restricted.

If someone is using a word as a direct insult I can see it, these weren't like that.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

my engine was retarded.

what do you think I mean?

as a means of slowing a truck on a downgrade while also preserving functionality of drum brakes , semi trucks have an engine retarder= engine brake = jacobs brake = jake brake.

context is everything.
    I agree, which is why I included my disclaimer about how 'gay' was used. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    obviously using "retarder" in the engine context means something different. FFS. we're talking about people here. 

"en retard" in french literally means to slow down. we're not cancelling the french language either. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

I get it but they aren't talking about that parents kid. I doubt your boss was talking about their kid too.  Sometimes a word has a completely different meaning.

If someone is using a word as a direct insult I can see it, these weren't like that.

using "that's retarded" in a professional setting, to label a process as "stupid", is not ok. it doesn't matter if it was addressing her kid directly or not. is it ok for you to use the N word as long as it's not being directed at someone?

I agree comedy should never be restricted. I'm not suggesting that it should. But any comedian who uses that language should be prepared for the subsequent backlash. 

there's a reason you don't hear any "big name" comedians use it. they know better, and they know it's a cheap laugh and punching down. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

using "that's retarded" in a professional setting, to label a process as "stupid", is not ok. it doesn't matter if it was addressing her kid directly or not. is it ok for you to use the N word as long as it's not being directed at someone?

I agree comedy should never be restricted. I'm not suggesting that it should. But any comedian who uses that language should be prepared for the subsequent backlash. 

there's a reason you don't hear any "big name" comedians use it. they know better, and they know it's a cheap laugh and punching down. 
    Professional setting I agree.  Read the room.

If you listen to comedian interviews they are at a point where everything can be used against them.  Some comedians are better at getting away with certain things.  Theon and Danielle Tosh are two perfect examples of towing the line.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

If you listen to comedian interviews they are at a point where everything can be used against them.  Some comedians are better at getting away with certain things.  Theon and Danielle Tosh are two perfect examples of towing the line.

Danielle?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

Danielle?
    Ahhh, she must be on my mind...

Daniel, lol.
  • Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Is FOX trolling their own?

This shouldn't be a thing but it will anyways.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

I have a deaf person in the family. In their community, the word is a proud word, like people using Italian or Irish. In American culture,  it's an insult used often. Noone wants to be called a smelly Italian.  "What are you,  deaf?"

People using words that are not theirs bear the risk of insulting someone with their laziness or casual disregard. Give blacks credit for taking full control of the N word. We need more of that

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

I have a deaf person in the family. In their community, the word is a proud word, like people using Italian or Irish. In American culture,  it's an insult used often. Noone wants to be called a smelly Italian.  "What are you,  deaf?"

People using words that are not theirs bear the risk of insulting someone with their laziness or casual disregard. Give blacks credit for taking full control of the N word. We need more of that

If everyone takes words back we would be left with nothing and bored...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

How did smelly get in the picture?
    :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

Nah they’ll always be a fueled up plane ready to jet you off to the next PJ show.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    That does it. I will not go to Chick-Fil-A on Sundays.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

context is everything

Nah they’ll always be a fueled up plane ready to jet you off to the next PJ show.
    I'll quote the late great Frank Zappa.  "They're just words." Plus I'm done with flying to see PJ.  No fly zone for me.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    That does it. I will not go to Chick-Fil-A on Sundays.
    That's funny.
  • Options

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    mickeyrat said:
    That has to be extremely difficult for teachers. I would love to see a massive strike but I know that would be hard on finances for a lot of people. That's exactly what we need in response though.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    MALFR

Make America Like Flo Rida. Sure.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    he tried to ban trans people from serving in the military. 
    I don’t remember what his rationale was, if any, but I do think there needs to be some regulations, not a full ban though. Especially in circumstances with close living quarters like the military. Too often just bringing it up gets you called a bigot while ignoring situations like that lawsuit going on in Wyoming to prevent a trans female from moving into the sorority house after multiple complaints she is clearly aroused and watches other girls undress and makes them uncomfortable.