Cancelled!

Comments

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Parksy said:
    Who wants to discuss Dave Chappelle?  :)   

Andddd... go. 
    He won't be cancelled, that's for sure.
    If he's as 'genius' as some think....  he might be doing more for the debate on 'cancel culture' than anyone...  but as for whether or not he'll be cancelled or not...  I dunno... time shall tell here. 

Damon Wayans has opined that Chappelle's special has "freed the slaves" of comedians that have been or would have been cancelled. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    Parksy said:

Andddd... go. 
    My favorite comedian ever. Legend. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

Andddd... go. 
    If he's as 'genius' as some think....  he might be doing more for the debate on 'cancel culture' than anyone...  but as for whether or not he'll be cancelled or not...  I dunno... time shall tell here. 

Damon Wayans has opined that Chappelle's special has "freed the slaves" of comedians that have been or would have been cancelled. 
    Oh my. 

Comedians think so highly of themselves :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

Andddd... go. 

He won't be cancelled.  The outrage isn't there because their isn't anything to rage about.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Does Damon Wayans still do comedy?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Does Damon Wayans still do comedy?
    I think Homey the Clown still does... or at least tries. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
     "Cancelled", such a dumb term but since we're using it here, why would Chappelle be "cancelled"?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
     "Cancelled", such a dumb term but since we're using it here, why would Chappelle be "cancelled"?
    Because he made jokes about the transgender. And literally everyone else. 
    brianlux said:
    Story (to the best of my knowledge) goes:

During his Netflix special The Closer he made offensive remarks about Transgender people. He has been under fire since... and a group of employees at Netflix have staged a walkout in protest.  GLAAD is apparently up in arms about it as well as other advocacy groups and such. 

I've listened to the bits.... and I can certainly see where they would have an issue.  But as is the case with a lot of these 'cancel culture' issues, there are many layers of context that aren't necessarily being discussed. 

I have opinions... but I'm interested in seeing others first... as it may sway my opinion. Just off the cuff...  it's an interesting listen/watch.  And I could be wild here.... but he could have very well done something that seems like an oxymoron.......   brutally offended / disrespected Trans people and also brutally backed them up and supported them at the same time, which to me is fascinating. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    I was gonna say... like... where I see his intelligence is that he almost knew he would catch a lot of flack about the transgender jokes... but yeah a lot of the special had what most would consider to be offensive language towards women, blacks, homosexuals, whites, etc

And I think to him, that's his way of commenting on how peculiar society can be regarding this stuff. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Parksy said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    I was gonna say... like... where I see his intelligence is that he almost knew he would catch a lot of flack about the transgender jokes... but yeah a lot of the special had what most would consider to be offensive language towards women, blacks, homosexuals, whites, etc

And I think to him, that's his way of commenting on how peculiar society can be regarding this stuff. 
    Yes, he offended "everyone" but one group took offense.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    some say comedy is immune from criticism, that you should be able to joke about anything. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Parksy said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly. We’re talking about Dave fucking chappelle. He dressed up in white face on his show and made fun of literally everybody. He’s absolutely hilarious In my opinion and I’m so grateful that he’s at a point in his career where he can not be cancelled and literally does not give a fuck. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Transgender people just need to grow a pair. Sheesh. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,395
    Hobbes said:
    Transgender people just need to grow a pair. Sheesh. 
    I lol'd 
    some say comedy is immune from criticism, that you should be able to joke about anything. 

Another way I look at this sometimes...  for the amount of criticism comedians face.  Think of them as scalpers. 

We (in the PJ community) for the most part hate scalpers. 

But they don't exist without folks who pay them.  So who's really to blame, the scalpers or the people who buy tickets from them. In many ways you can blame both, but I don't think you can justify only blaming one. 

Equally... if a comedians craft or job is to make people laugh... and offensive things make people laugh... who's really to blame, the comedian, or the people who enjoy it? 

Personally, I find Dave to be thought provoking and funny. I don't know why, and I don't know if that makes me a bad person to be honest. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Parksy said:

Andddd... go. 
    Not much to discuss, he is the GOAT w/ Pryor a close second.  
    Parksy said:

Andddd... go. 
    Not much to discuss, he is the GOAT w/ Pryor a close second.  
    I politely disagree... with both things you say. :) 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    “Nothing’s off-limits.” - Norm
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    Parksy said:
    brianlux said:

During his Netflix special The Closer he made offensive remarks about Transgender people. He has been under fire since... and a group of employees at Netflix have staged a walkout in protest.  GLAAD is apparently up in arms about it as well as other advocacy groups and such. 

I've listened to the bits.... and I can certainly see where they would have an issue.  But as is the case with a lot of these 'cancel culture' issues, there are many layers of context that aren't necessarily being discussed. 

I have opinions... but I'm interested in seeing others first... as it may sway my opinion. Just off the cuff...  it's an interesting listen/watch.  And I could be wild here.... but he could have very well done something that seems like an oxymoron.......   brutally offended / disrespected Trans people and also brutally backed them up and supported them at the same time, which to me is fascinating. 
    i think what the issue is is he has bashed on transgender people for the last several netflix specials and he appears to really be doubling down on making fun of them. i don't see an issue with one joke here and there but a series of them across a series of shows does seem like he may be picking on them.

comedy is only funny when you punch up at the powerful. it is not funny when you punch down on communities that have been ostracized and looked down on for a long time.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:

Well, I have to a agree with George Carlin in that you can joke about anything- the point being it's how you go about doing that.  I also have to question, are people just being too serious about being kidded?  Are we creating a whole generation of thin-skinned people?  I'm not saying we are... but maybe.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Parksy said:
    brianlux said:

i think what the issue is is he has bashed on transgender people for the last several netflix specials and he appears to really be doubling down on making fun of them. i don't see an issue with one joke here and there but a series of them across a series of shows does seem like he may be picking on them.

comedy is only funny when you punch up at the powerful. it is not funny when you punch down on communities that have been ostracized and looked down on for a long time.

Just saw your post, good points.  I guess I'll have to check out more of Dave's recent stuff.  I also wonder if maybe people being overly sensitive to those first few jokes just egged him on. 
    I don't know enough either way and I'll check it out, but I do tend to be skeptical about people being too thin skinned- maybe because it  took me a long time to not be so much that way myself.  In the past, I've been mistaken for being gay.  That used to really bug me, especially being called "fag', "faggot", etc.  Now I don't care.  Call me queer?  No, but maybe I was in another life-time.  Fine by me!  But ask my wife what she thinks about how I am now, lol.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,430
    edited October 2021
    Parksy said:
    brianlux said:

no he isnt punching down. he celebrated their progress .he is critical of reactionary twitter bullshit. he is jealous of how quickly things are changing for that community when the black community continues to face the same egregious shit. he is critical of the mob mentality that doesnt leave room for different thoughts(no matter how fucked up those thoughts can be. you know freedom of expression stuff in the 1st amendment).

he is highly indignant at how his friend was treated for defending him and its result.

he spoke truth to new power and they dont like it.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Parksy said:
    brianlux said:

no he isnt. he is critical of reactionary twitter bullshit. he is jealous of how quickly things are changing for that community when the black community continues to face the same egregious shit. he is critical of the mob mentality that doesnt leave room for different thoughts(no matter how fucked up those thoughts can be. you know freedom of expression stuff in the 1st amendment).

he is highly indignant at how his friend was treated for defending him and its result.

he spoke truth to new power and they dont like it.

I was just about to post the following and then saw your post.  I think this goes along with what you're saying.  I also get what gimme is saying.  I don't think this issue is totally clear cut/ black and white (so to speak):
    I know Joe Rogan is not popular some some folks here (I'm have mixed feeling about the guy myself), but maybe put that aside and just listen to what he's saying here and see if it makes sense.  I think he makes some good points.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Some react to Rogan as they do Chappelle.

Ir you don’t like it, gotta shut it down!
    edited October 2021
    the last couple minutes of this

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Type your commenthttps://youtu.be/Exwb02tu7sU