on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    JH6056 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    So that’s two confirmed cases from SHN. Just on these boards. Crazy. Wish both  a speedy recovery  
    Confirmed?
    Yes. Two people on these boards that were there tested positive for covid after. 
    How is it confirmed they got it at the festival?
    I mean…. How would you ever know for sure? The fact is they tested positive after. So whether they got it there, or were there with it already is impossible to know. 
    That’s kinda the opposite of confirmed. 
    Seems to me that if most people have a daily/weekly routine they've been doing throughout pandemic, and they've not gotten Covid, and then the 1 thing they do differently one time is last weekend they attend a music festival with 35,000 people at it, 99% unmasked, hopefully vast majority truly vaxxed or truly negative... and then the timing of the symptoms onset is about right for Delta... then really, why would you assume or think it likely that you did NOT get it there?  It is the one big different thing that was done, and especially if you were in the crowd holding a spot for PJ, you could be around strangers for hours.  Ocean breeze and all, it's still close proximity and if someone else has it, especially Delta V, that is a very likely scenario for transmission.

No, it's not "certain" where they got it. 

And most importantly, it's still HIGHLY UNLIKELY it will happen among majority vaxxed people.  For those going to Ohana, California is doing way better than NJ on vaxxing and the crowd that will want to be at Ohana is so much more likely to be vaxxed so... I felt good about being at SHN and I'd feel even better about going to Ohana if I was going.  But it also isn't surprising at all that it may have happened to a few people.
    I’m only asking about the use of the word “confirmed”. 

And I get what you’re saying about people’s routines but millions of people have gotten covid.  And it’s not from just going to a concert.  They have contracted it going about their daily routines.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,210
    nicknyr15 said:
    So that’s two confirmed cases from SHN. Just on these boards. Crazy. Wish both  a speedy recovery  
     So you have already ruled out the grocery store, uber, airplane travel, the gas station, and their mothers cousin who went to jazzercise 4 days before the show and got covid then went to visit the family.  Seems legit.

You can't get tested every day after every single activity, it is impossible to know.  You could say it was probably from SHN but hard to confirm it.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    edited September 2021
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    Yes. Two people on these boards that were there tested positive for covid after. 
    I mean…. How would you ever know for sure? The fact is they tested positive after. So whether they got it there, or were there with it already is impossible to know. 
    Seems like nitpicking to me. By confirmed I mean they’re test came back positive. Confirming they have the virus. Not sure what difference it makes.
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    Seems like nitpicking to me. By confirmed I mean they’re test came back positive. Confirming they have the virus. Not sure what difference it makes.
    The difference is that out of any subset of 35,000 random people, that a small number of them would be diagnosed with COVID the following week is guaranteed. That would be the case even if they didn’t attend a music festival. So there is no way of knowing whether they caught it at SHN. Now if suddenly there are 2000 cases traced to the festival (which I attended), that would be a much different story. 
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    The difference is that out of any subset of 35,000 random people, that a small number of them would be diagnosed with COVID the following week is guaranteed. That would be the case even if they didn’t attend a music festival. So there is no way of knowing whether they caught it at SHN. Now if suddenly there are 2000 cases traced to the festival (which I attended), that would be a much different story. 
    I understand. Even though all those people were fully vaccinated right? I just think people are over reacting to my original post. Like it’s offending them in some weird way. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    JH6056 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    For those going to Ohana, California is doing way better than NJ on vaxxing and the crowd that will want to be at Ohana is so much more likely to be vaxxed so... I felt good about being at SHN and I'd feel even better about going to Ohana if I was going.  But it also isn't surprising at all that it may have happened to a few people.
    The locality of a PJ show is irrelevant as tons of people are traveling to these shows.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    I understand. Even though all those people were fully vaccinated right? I just think people are over reacting to my original post. Like it’s offending them in some weird way. 
    I just feel like we shouldn’t say things like “So that’s two confirmed cases from SHN.”  Which is what you posted.  It’s untrue and misleading.  I see you’re  saying now that’s not what you intended to say but I feel like we’ve had so much misinformation about this virus that it’s important not to generalize or assume.  And I’m not a denier or anti-vaxxer.   I’m as careful as the next person - fully vaccinated and I still wear a mask indoors when I go out anywhere.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    I just feel like we shouldn’t say things like “So that’s two confirmed cases from SHN.”  Which is what you posted.  It’s untrue and misleading.  I see you’re  saying now that’s not what you intended to say but I feel like we’ve had so much misinformation about this virus that it’s important not to generalize or assume.  And I’m not a denier or anti-vaxxer.   I’m as careful as the next person - fully vaccinated and I still wear a mask indoors when I go out anywhere.  
    Ok. 

Two people felt fine. Went to SHN. Felt sick. Got tested. Tested positive for covid. Don’t know when where who or how they contracted it. Hope they make a speedy recovery. 

Better ? 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    Ok. 

Two people felt fine. Went to SHN. Felt sick. Got tested. Tested positive for covid. Don’t know when where who or how they contracted it. Hope they make a speedy recovery. 

Better ? 
    Much.  👍🏻

• Options
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    Ok. 

Better ? 
    Much.  👍🏻
    Thanks! Haha. No hard feelings. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    Ok. 

Better ? 
    Much.  👍🏻
    Thanks! Haha. No hard feelings. 
    Tone is difficult to convey…. Apologies if it sounded like I had a pitchfork in my hand.  Peace! =)

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2021
    JH6056 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Confirmed?
    For those going to Ohana, California is doing way better than NJ on vaxxing and the crowd that will want to be at Ohana is so much more likely to be vaxxed so... I felt good about being at SHN and I'd feel even better about going to Ohana if I was going.  But it also isn't surprising at all that it may have happened to a few people.
    The locality of a PJ show is irrelevant as tons of people are traveling to these shows.
    I absolutely and completely disagree about the location being irrelevant. I've seen PJ all over the country, maybe you have too, and if you're saying New York show audiences basically have the same people as California shows which to you look the same as Seattle shows which look the same as Texas shows... I'd say you're not really paying attention.  There are such visible and sometimes audible (accents depending on where you are) differences in locales of PJ shows and who is in the audience. 

Do PJ fans travel a manic amount to shows?  Absolutely.

At any given show or festival where PJ is headlining are there likely to be a higher % of out of town and even out of country attendees than most bands? Absolutely again.

But were New Jersey attendees somehow in the minority compared to people from out of the tri-state area at SHN?  And let's remember California has what, 1/7 of the entire US population in one state? So are you really saying the rough geographic diversity at SHN and Ohana will be the same because most people travel from out of the area to go? 

Location is totally relevant to who makes up the audience.

Also, if location was irrelevant for festival Covid safety, tours and festivals wouldn't be cancelling in high Covid hotspots like Texas and South Carolina now. If your theory that most people come in from out of town anyway holds, why cancel it if most people would not be from the hotspot?  Also, for festival staff the location matters completely.  Local crew, staff and volunteers at festivals (not the bands' crews but the crews who set up, do security, tear down, and work the festival) are usually mostly local. 

There were SO MANY LOCALS at SHN.  It was largely a Jersey crowd, sure people came from all over but New Jersey REPRESENTED in a big big way. I was born there and could hear it all around me. 

Also, it's still the pandemic.  People simply are not flying or training or bus-ing around to festivals like they might have pre-Covid for a show like this, so there's that too.  But I'm social, I talk to strangers a lot, and I overwhelmingly met folks from at least the Tri-State area but mostly from NJ at SHN.

I won't be at Ohana but having been to Outside Lands, Coachella, Austin City Limits, Governor's Ball, and Sea Hear Now I can tell you there is ALWAYS a higher % of local area folks than any other particular locale and for some festivals it's overwhelmingly local.

Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    I was saying for PJ shows specifically. Especially this year with only SHN and Ohana being the only shows I would expect a lot of travelers. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I was saying for PJ shows specifically. Especially this year with only SHN and Ohana being the only shows I would expect a lot of travelers. 
    Cool, but per all I already wrote, there will be a huge difference in who is attending between SHN and Ohana in terms of NJ vs. CA residents.  So the vax rates and attitude towards masks and safety and all does matter and it does affect the overall likelihood or lack of it that there are people standing around in that huge audience who are positive for Covid. 

Just seeing the crowd at the Stone Pony packed in, no vax requirement, no mask requirement, and almost no one wearing masks... I can't think of anywhere in California right now that would look like that and have no vax or negative test requirement.

Location does matter, even just comparing SHN and Ohana.  Fortunately, the vax/negative test requirement, mostly well-checked it seems at SHN, meant that SHN was probably very very safe, with hopefully a high unlikelihood of positive people & transmissions.  Did any happen? Probably, but that was a risk we all took going in at all with this Delta Variant.  But it's highly unlikely to turn out to be a superspreader.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    You are kidding yourself if you think a vaxxxed person is not spreading covid.  Viral loads in vaxxxed people have been shown to be similar in the Delta variant.  The most logical and scientific way to prevent spread at a festival is to require everyone to have a negative test before entering.  Excluding the vaxxxed doesn't make sense.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    SS105464 said:
    You are kidding yourself if you think a vaxxxed person is not spreading covid.  Viral loads in vaxxxed people have been shown to be similar in the Delta variant.  The most logical and scientific way to prevent spread at a festival is to require everyone to have a negative test before entering.  Excluding the vaxxxed doesn't make sense.  
    correct, but if you are asymptomatic you are generally spreading much much less than someone who is symptomatic. hopefully symptomatic people wouldn't attend a festival, but you know....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    SS105464 said:
    This is misleading.

"Even for the highly infectious Delta variant, which seems to produce high viral loads in both vaccinated and unvaccinated people, the load goes down far more quickly in those with the vaccine."

Among many other sources:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid-viral-load

6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527
    I'm more concerned about the Covid-19 that was identified in my kids classroom than on an airplane or outdoor show/amusement park.

BC considers outdoor exposures low risk that only warrants monitoring and a test for any symptoms, which I learned from the outdoor paddle camp exposure we had in August during the highest time of local transmission.

• Options
    SS105464 said:
    I just saw that Austin City Limits, which starts next weekend for 2 weekends, is requiring negative test results from within 3 days of show, regardless of vax status.  To your point...
  • Options
    COVID update from Ohana: if you want to stay away from the crowd while enjoying a great view, then it’s all possible.  I’ll get in the thick of the crowd tomorrow after I get my negative PCR test, albeit with a mask. Still not comfortable without it in such a big crowd. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    Little ItalyLittle Italy Rochester, NY Posts: 404
    SS105464 said:
    Someone gets it.

Lets also not forget what also coincides with the timing of when variants emerged and the rate of which they spread...

Different discussion for a different day though haha
    "he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    SS105464 said:
    Someone gets it.

Lets also not forget what also coincides with the timing of when variants emerged and the rate of which they spread...

Different discussion for a different day though haha
    Delta was discovered in India last December. 
  • Options
    The more people unvaxxed the more variants will come 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 468
    davidos said:
    Went to SHN... developed cough and slight chills by wednesday. Got tested last night... thought for sure I had COVID... PCR test came back negative... big PHEW... doctor told me that Delta can spread outdoors and you can still get it if you are vaxxed. The weather here in NY has been a little nuts... Hot and humid, cold at night, in and out of AC... must be allergies... 
    Well, guess what… I do have breakthrough COVID. My ‘cold’ progressed over the weekend to sneezing and more coughing. Went to work yesterday and took a Binax at home test last night which said I was positive. Took it again. Positive. Went this morning and got a proper PCR. Positive. Bummed.

Wear an N95 in a crowd because some people are either faking vax cards or the vaccinated are spreading Delta!!

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    davidos said:
    davidos said:
    Went to SHN... developed cough and slight chills by wednesday. Got tested last night... thought for sure I had COVID... PCR test came back negative... big PHEW... doctor told me that Delta can spread outdoors and you can still get it if you are vaxxed. The weather here in NY has been a little nuts... Hot and humid, cold at night, in and out of AC... must be allergies... 
    Well, guess what… I do have breakthrough COVID. My ‘cold’ progressed over the weekend to sneezing and more coughing. Went to work yesterday and took a Binax at home test last night which said I was positive. Took it again. Positive. Went this morning and got a proper PCR. Positive. Bummed.

Wear an N95 in a crowd because some people are either faking vax cards or the vaccinated are spreading Delta!!

yes, the vaccinated can spread it. sorry you're positive. hopefully the symptoms are mild and you get over it quickly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    SS105464 said:
    I think the issue, is that yes it can spread amongst vaccinated people.  A vaccine teaches the body how to fight a virus, so they do contract it, but the body will fight it faster and more efficiently than if you didn't have a vaccine.

I think the issue is non-vaccinated people walking in a sea of of vaccinated people.   If it is spreading around the vaccinated people, and they don't have symptons, the non-vaccinated people are like a canary in a coal mine.    It makes it tough to allow them in events because there would be a high chance they would contract the virus (from other unvaxxed or vaxxed people).

that's how I feel about vaccine passports here in BC.   It's more about preventing unvaccinated from getting it from a vaccinated population than the other way around?
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Unvaccinated-->vaccinated transmission is far more likely than vaccinated-->vaccinated. Viral loads are orders of magnitude smaller, as are the viral shedding windows, in vaccinated cases.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    davidos said:
    davidos said:

Feel better!!!

• Options
    Just cleared customs in Montreal. All went fast. 

Mask in the pit is definitely the way to go. Went all
    three days and was never asked for proof of vaxx,
    so not much comfort to be found there. 

Very happy I stayed a bit back to watch the shows (garbage cans VIP section, very close to booze and toilet, lotsa space to move and even store a few drinks). 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430
    Seems like a couple SHN breakthrough cases which are basically colds. I mean, I caught a cold in 2013 after two indoor Philly shows. Whatever, no big deal. Just work at home a few days.

Like I said I masked up only for the unvaxxed kids at home. Still had a great time but once everyone is vaxxed don't think I'll mask up anymore. Besides, catching the COVID cold ("breakthrough infection") helps even more with future immunity right?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16