Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    I want to say this is unbelievable. but I know its not....

Student heckled for saying grandmother died of COVID-19 because someone didn't wear mask

Scott Broden
    Murfreesboro Daily News Journal
    • Central Magnet junior Grady Knox told school board 'We're killing people' by not wearing masks
    • Grady and other speaking students impress board vice chairwoman
    • CNN interviewed Central Magnet students who spoke in support of mask requirements in school
    • The heckling of the Grady Knox speech went viral and displayed by Newsweek to national audience

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — "...I’m worried about my family. If I get COVID, I’m going to bring it to my family, and I talk to my grandparents a lot. They are higher risk than me, so I don’t want to give them COVID.

"This time last year, my grandmother, who was a former teacher at the Rutherford County school system, died of COVID because someone wasn’t wearing a mask."

Tennessee High schooler Grady Knox's passionate plea for the health of himself and others was mocked earlier this week at a Rutherford County Board of Education meeting, a scene which has drawn national attention to this hyper-divisive debate

Knox was ridiculed, even laughed at, Tuesday evening by some in the school board meeting audience when he said his grandmother died of COVID-19 after being exposed to a person without a mask.

Knox was among the seven students who asked the Rutherford County Board of Education to require masks. Six of the students represented Central Magnet School, which serves high achievers in downtown Murfreesboro. 

Knox: "This is going to continue if we don’t have a mask mandate. Contact tracing has been a big issue for students this year because all of us know that if we get contact traced we’re going to miss at least a week of school. That’s a week of instruction, a week of teacher contact that we’re going to miss.

'Things moved downward rather quickly':Airlines say rise in COVID-19 cases is hurting ticket sales

The 'come on, man' speech:Why Biden's COVID-19 vaccine mandate was the fiery TV we needed

Knox remained calm while getting heckled. His composure impressed his father, Kerry Knox, a Murfreesboro attorney, who had a sense of disbelief that a crowd would act like that to a child. 

"I wanted to defend him but he handled it so much better than I could have," said the father.

Knox's grandmother lived at Adams Place retirement community in Murfreesboro before she died of COVID-19.

Prior to that, she retired from a career as an English teacher at Oakland High, Kerry Knox said.

The board's indecision on changing the policy followed a three-hour debate that included hearing a few dozen speeches from people on both sides of the mask issue in a packed meeting room.

Knox: "I talked to one of my classmates today, and he said that he was worried about a test that he had to take because he had missed the entire last week of school and hadn’t seen his math teacher until that day. This is not something that we want to be going on in our schools."

Some of the people against masks heckled and laughed at Knox to interrupt his speech while others defended him. This video recorded moment went viral as national media outlets shared the story

Knox initially talked about students missing out on instruction days because of the COVID-19 spread before he mentioned his concerns for his family's health.

Central Magnet High School student Grady Knox is mocked by some as he speaks of losing his grandmother to Covid and said that she got Covid because someone didnt wear a mask around her as he addresses the Rutherford County School Board on Tuesday Sept 7 2021 People for and against masks had the opportunity to speak during the meeting

Grady: 'We're killing people'

Knox stopped for a few seconds when the audience heckling occurred before board Chairman Coy Young spoke.

"Hey guys, we’re here to act professional," Young said before Knox continued.

"This is an avoidable issue, and by not wearing masks in schools, it’s irresponsible. We’re killing people. This is not something we should be doing for the education of our students. Thank you."

Knox was part of a group of six Central Magnet School students organized by classmate Will Severn to speak.

Grady and other speaking students impress board vice chairwoman

Knox also impressed board vice chairwoman Tiffany Johnson. She recalled hearing one man in the crowd speaking in the direction of Knox: 

“Oh come on son. That’s not true.”

Johnson said Knox demonstrated maturity and professionalism, unlike some of the antimasking audience members interrupting him.

"At that moment," Johnson said, "those people should have have been removed from the meeting." 

Johnson recalled looking at the Rutherford County Sheriff's deputies in hopes they'd remove the hecklers.

"It was deeply troubling," Johnson added. 

continues.. 

Murfreesboro…
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Looks like early October approval for 5- to 11-year-old children has been kicked down to late October now.

Great. I look forward to another month of crippling anxiety.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    dankind said:
    Looks like early October approval for 5- to 11-year-old children has been kicked down to late October now.

understandable, but it does provide some measure of confidence they want to get it right, doesnt it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

understandable, but it does provide some measure of confidence they want to get it right, doesnt it?
    Understandable, but when one suffers from crippling anxiety, confidence is something a foreign concept.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

Understandable, but when one suffers from crippling anxiety, confidence is something a foreign concept.
    Word.  Im right with you. Im about  done  with this  . I can't  take anymore 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I have  a 4 a 14 and a17 year old all thrown into the  fire here. Its more than i can take
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    dankind said:

Why the extra wait time? They say?
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Stay strong. We have to stay strong for those around us. One day, it will be over.
    We'll do our part to stay safe and keep others safe too. Big virtual hugs.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Kat said:
    Stay strong. We have to stay strong for those around us. One day, it will be over.
    We'll do our part to stay safe and keep others safe too. Big virtual hugs.
    YES. Be well, everyone.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Just got my 3rd shot. First was AZ so I qualified for a third. Wanted the trifecta of superpowers but had to get Pfizer for the third to match my second.

Anyone else here have 3?

Good times. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dignin said:
    Just got my 3rd shot. First was AZ so I qualified for a third. Wanted the trifecta of superpowers but had to get Pfizer for the third to match my second.

Anyone else here have 3?

Good times. 
    interesting. I haven't seen anything mentioned in manitoba beyond POSSIBLY for immunocompromised. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    dignin said:

Anyone else here have 3?

Good times. 
    You're Canada?
    and now we have WAP star Nicki Minaj posting on twitter that her cousin's friend got the vaccine "which caused his testicles to swell and his finance called off their wedding". Hey, DUMBASS, his testicles swelled up from an STD that he probably caught from cheating and that's why his finance called off their wedding. 

STOP SPREADING BULLSHIT
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2021
    cutz said:
    1 out of 13,403 chance of catching COVID if you are fully vaccinated?  My Mom was fully vaccinated, and got COVID two weeks ago, so maybe she should start playing the lottery :). None of the rest of my family that are vaccinated have caught COVID, not even my father that was in close proximity to both, my mom and my non-vaccinated brother.  My non-vaccinated brother’s case was way more severe, but he managed to stay out of the hospital.  I was really fearing for him for a while, and he is damn stubborn. His blood/oxygen was down in the low 80s at one point.  He actually ended up going to some doctor that gave him like 4 shots (not 100% what those shots were) and gradually started getting better.
    PJPOWER said:
    cutz said:
    1 out of 13,403 chance of catching COVID if you are fully vaccinated?  My Mom was fully vaccinated, and got COVID two weeks ago, so maybe she should start playing the lottery :). None of the rest of my family that are vaccinated have caught COVID, not even my father that was in close proximity to both, my mom and my non-vaccinated brother.  My non-vaccinated brother’s case was way more severe, but he managed to stay out of the hospital.  I was really fearing for him for a while, and he is damn stubborn. His blood/oxygen was down in the low 80s at one point.  He actually ended up going to some doctor that gave him like 4 shots (not 100% what those shots were) and gradually started getting better.
    The numbers could be,  likely are understated because breakthroughs can be so mild that they are not reported.  The efficacy level against Delta is reported as lower than 90% in trials so I don't think that number can be right. 
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    cutz said:
    The numbers could be,  likely are understated because breakthroughs can be so mild that they are not reported.  The efficacy level against Delta is reported as lower than 90% in trials so I don't think that number can be right. 
    I could see that.  The only reason my mom went to the doctor initially was because she thought she had an ear infection.  She did end up losing her taste and had a nasty cough for two weeks, and she still gets winded easily, but at least she didn’t end up in the hospital or dead!  Makes me think that she probably would be dead had she not gotten the vaccine.
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    cutz said:
    I could see that.  The only reason my mom went to the doctor initially was because she thought she had an ear infection.  She did end up losing her taste and had a nasty cough for two weeks, and she still gets winded easily, but at least she didn’t end up in the hospital or dead!  Makes me think that she probably would be dead had she not gotten the vaccine.
    Very possibly.. or critically ill for a period of time.  This is nothing to fool with, that's for sure.  I fail to understand how people can be so cavalier with this disease, even if it isn't fatal for them.  I don't want to be sick AF for a week or two. F that. 
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    cutz said:
    Very possibly.. or critically ill for a period of time.  This is nothing to fool with, that's for sure.  I fail to understand how people can be so cavalier with this disease, even if it isn't fatal for them.  I don't want to be sick AF for a week or two. F that. 
    and long covid. my god as if I want to feel like I have a bad flu for months on end. I've read that some people have committed suicide over it. (unverifiable, of course). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Anyone else here have 3?

Good times. 
    You're Canada?
    Yup. Alberta specifically. We get a third shot for travel reasons, because some jurisdictions don't recognize mixed vaccines as fully vaccinated.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    cutz said:

I also think they're saying something like, if you're vaccinated, these are your odds per day of catching COVID -- not the same as your overall odds.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    cutz said:
    and long covid. my god as if I want to feel like I have a bad flu for months on end. I've read that some people have committed suicide over it. (unverifiable, of course). 
    I still have taste and smell issues. It’s been about a year since I had covid. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    cutz said:
    I still have taste and smell issues. It’s been about a year since I had covid. 
    Can you smell your own farts?
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    dignin said:

Anyone else here have 3?

Good times. 

I got a 3rd Pfizer shot 2 days ago. I now have a special visual ability. Unvaxxed people appear outlined in neon green so I can easily spot them and steer clear. ;)

Nah. I did get the 3rd dose though. Like the other 2, just tired the next day and a headache today.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    With the untimely passing of Michael K Williams, we've decided to re-watch "The Wire." Last night we watched the season 1 episode where Stringer Bell suspects there's a snitch in the Barksdale org, so he tells "Dee" not to pay his crew on Friday. [I'm going to paraphrase the exchange because of the liberal use of the n-word, etc.]

Dee says, well, String, my crew isn't going to work if I don't pay them! And Stringer laughs and says, what, do you think they're going to up and go to college? You think they're going to go look for a regular job? No, they'll buck and whine some, and then they're just going to keep doing what they've been doing.

I have a feeling that we will see a similar reaction to workplace mandates. There will some fussing and protesting, but in the end most people will just get the vaccine.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    even before I saw your post, curmudgeoness, I was coming here to post this:

a hospital in upstate NY is halting all baby deliveries as too many nurses quit over vaccine mandates. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2021/09/13/covid-19-vaccine-mandate-maternity-resignations-lewis-county-general-hospital-newday-vpx.cnn
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This discussion has been closed.