Ohana Festival Update

Comments

• Is there any thinking that the decision to forge on will come down to a division between the musical "haves" and "have-not's"?  Bands that can afford (personally) to forego touring for now (another year?) will respond like Neil Young and Trent Reznor.  They will operate with "an abundance of caution" while younger, less established bands will make the decision to stop touring only if they are forced to.  At this point, with the way the music industry is relying less on sales and more on gate receipts + merch, there is a chance that we are going to see a void of young bands who just couldn't get by.
    I read an interview with Jason Isbell that talked about it. He said that the Stevie Nicks' of the entertainment world can cancel because they have the money to fall back on. Smaller acts such him don't have that luxury. I have tickets to 3 concerts this Fall: Son Volt, Drive By Truckers and Bob Mould. I would consider all of them smaller acts that rely on touring revenue, (maybe not Bob so much) so it will be interesting to see what they do with their shows.
    @JeBurkhardt it sounds like you and I could be friends solely based on your ticket purchasing choices...hope you get to see all three....
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited August 2021
    Don't call out vaccinated people who opt out of shows because they don't want to mask up.
    They aren't spreading misinformation....they are not working to try and spread the virus - they are fully vaccinated.
    Right to choose to stay home is a position I would think we should respect 1000%.
    I won't, right now, go to a show , even one that requires vaccinations even if I do wear a mask.  I'm fully vaccinated and am being very selective on what I venture into the masses to do.  Right now, concerts are not high enough on my list.  We all love Pearl Jam, I'm sure we all would love to see Pearl Jam.  Some of the settings are not ones we choose to be in.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Yep. I don't trust the people around me in crowds and that environment isn't one I would particularly enjoy right now. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Don't call out vaccinated people who opt out of shows because they don't want to mask up.
    They aren't spreading misinformation....they are not working to try and spread the virus - they are fully vaccinated.
    Right to choose to stay home is a position I would think we should respect 1000%.
    I won't, right now, go to a show , even one that requires vaccinations even if I do wear a mask.  I'm fully vaccinated and am being very selective on what I venture into the masses to do.  Right now, concerts are not high enough on my list.  We all love Pearl Jam, I'm sure we all would love to see Pearl Jam.  Some of the settings are not ones we choose to be in.

Where are people calling out others for not going to shows if masks are mandated? Seems like a fairly healthy conversation we are having here. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    PJNB said:

Where are people calling out others for not going to shows if masks are mandated? Seems like a fairly healthy conversation we are having here. 

Healthy conversation with some doses of sarcasm and snarky comments.  Doesn't phase me at all, but that's par for the course around here.  That's not directed at you at all, bud. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJNB said:

Correlation between number of posts and desire / commitment to see the band in a certain scenario seemed to me like someone being called out -- could be I misread it.  Sorry to snipe if that is the case.

PJNB said:

Correlation between number of posts and desire / commitment to see the band in a certain scenario seemed to me like someone being called out -- could be I misread it.  Sorry to snipe if that is the case.

I think Tish is just having fun. Lots can be misinterpreted on a forum. I just looked at my post count for the first time in awhile. Time to get off the boards for a bit I think lol. 
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

I think Tish is just having fun. Lots can be misinterpreted on a forum. I just looked at my post count for the first time in awhile. Time to get off the boards for a bit I think lol. 

I'm glad they don't have PM counts.  Would be 100,000.  Way too much time here!
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    harping on me again.... whatev
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

I'm glad they don't have PM counts.  Would be 100,000.  Way too much time here!
    Oh ya me too. Just checked one of my PM chains. 1026 posts long and not even sure thats the only one we have going on lol.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited August 2021
    In the case of concerts/events and the decisions to go forward or cancel, the voices refusing to wear a mask have the same effect as anti-vaxxers.  You think bands would be canceling if they had 100% cooperation from fans or a good way to enforce rules?  Airlines are functioning smoothly for the most part because passengers know their options are to mask up or be removed/arrested. 100% agree on the right to stay home.  If it was up to me, all concerts would be small enough to enforce rules right now.  Those of us willing to follow the rules could go, behave and enjoy the show.  Everyone else can stay home. But when you go full capacity knowing that fans will complain about every little thing as the situation changes on a daily basis, I don't blame big bands for not wanting to deal with it.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    In the case of concerts/events and the decisions to go forward or cancel, the voices refusing to wear a mask have the same effect as anti-vaxxers.  You think bands would be canceling if they had 100% cooperation from fans or a good way to enforce rules?  Airlines are functioning smoothly for the most part because passengers know their options are to mask up or be removed/arrested. 100% agree on the right to stay home.  If it was up to me, all concerts would be small enough to enforce rules right now.  Those of us willing to follow the rules could go, behave and enjoy the show.  Everyone else can stay home. But when you go full capacity knowing that fans will complain about every little thing as the situation changes on a daily basis, I don't blame big bands for not wanting to deal with it.

There's always going to be a subset of folks unhappy with some type of arrangement/rule that go into shows. this didn't begin with covid nor will it end with it. I know people who don't go to shows based solely on the venue (sound, bathroom, accessibility, security, owners, etc). that's their choice, and I certainly don't begrudge them for it. 

big bands aren't even aware of what their fans are complaining about unless their management/promoter makes a stink about it.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Give me a break.  There is literally a vaccine mandate (or negative test) to go to this outdoor show.  You're way off base with this. 

There's always going to be a subset of folks unhappy with some type of arrangement/rule that go into shows. this didn't begin with covid nor will it end with it. I know people who don't go to shows based solely on the venue (sound, bathroom, accessibility, security, owners, etc). that's their choice, and I certainly don't begrudge them for it. 

big bands aren't even aware of what their fans are complaining about unless their management/promoter makes a stink about it.  
    Really wish I could agree.  I think our political climate is so bad right now that everyone sees videos of these idiots threatening teachers and healthcare workers, peddling conspiracy theories, etc. and feel like they don't want to deal with it.  I agree that promoters green lit tours and shows, but I think these cancellations (like NIN and Neil) belong to the artist.

Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale

Really wish I could agree.  I think our political climate is so bad right now that everyone sees videos of these idiots threatening teachers and healthcare workers, peddling conspiracy theories, etc. and feel like they don't want to deal with it.  I agree that promoters green lit tours and shows, but I think these cancellations (like NIN and Neil) belong to the artist.

dealing with what? has their been protests/violence at music shows? I haven't seen any.

i think the bands/artists are cancelling based on many factors, the least of which is if they're going to lose money because of enough not attending because of rules. Neil cancelled and it was sold out. i doubt NIN cancelled because of that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

bbiggs said:

Give me a break.  There is literally a vaccine mandate (or negative test) to go to this outdoor show.  You're way off base with this. 
    Agreed not even close to the same. 
    edited August 2021

dealing with what? has their been protests/violence at music shows? I haven't seen any.

i think the bands/artists are cancelling based on many factors, the least of which is if they're going to lose money because of enough not attending because of rules. Neil cancelled and it was sold out. i doubt NIN cancelled because of that. 
    Deal with the backlash if they have to change the rules/require masks/etc. as the case numbers change.
    I didn't say or imply that demand is an issue.  Quite the opposite.  IMO, the rules should have been super-strict when shows were initially announced/sold.  Easier to loosen them later than it is to tighten them, but not many people expected this spike in cases.  To be clear, I am fully vaxxed and not concerned about getting sick, but I'd still follow any rules they decided to implement because I understand that the situation is changing daily and they are doing the best they can with the information they have.

again, this doesn't hit at the artist level. it hits at the promoter/management level. half the time, bands don't even know what fucking city they're in, never mind the ever-changing conditions fans deal with to get into shows. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

again, this doesn't hit at the artist level. it hits at the promoter/management level. half the time, bands don't even know what fucking city they're in, never mind the ever-changing conditions fans deal with to get into shows. 
    I agree, that's how it typically is, but these are atypical times.  NIN only had two headlining shows, the rest were festivals that are going on without them.  If it was their promoter pulling the plug, they could have just canceled the headline shows.  If it was the fest promoter, the entire fest would be canceled. Clearly that was a NIN decision then, right?

I agree, that's how it typically is, but these are atypical times.  NIN only had two headlining shows, the rest were festivals that are going on without them.  If it was their promoter pulling the plug, they could have just canceled the headline shows.  If it was the fest promoter, the entire fest would be canceled. Clearly that was a NIN decision then, right?

The decision to cancel, most likely a collaborative decision between NIN and their team, but I can't imagine it has anything to with the potential backlash they'd face over moving forward with performing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

bbiggs said:

The problem is that vaccines aren't enough to stop the spread right now. Vaccinated people are getting COVID (though the hosp/death rate is super-low). This is a new development since these shows were announced/sold, so if the venue/promoter/band has to adjust the requirements, so what? No one can predict the where the virus is going and some flexibility has to be acceptable. If it isn't to someone, then they should stay home, because the situation will probably change again next week. I stand by my statement.

bbiggs said:

The problem is that vaccines aren't enough to stop the spread right now. Vaccinated people are getting COVID (though the hosp/death rate is super-low). This is a new development since these shows were announced/sold, so if the venue/promoter/band has to adjust the requirements, so what? No one can predict the where the virus is going and some flexibility has to be acceptable. If it isn't to someone, then they should stay home, because the situation will probably change again next week. I stand by my statement.

haven't we known pretty much since the vaccines came out that the vaccine doesn't stop the spread? I don't feel like this is new information. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

bbiggs said:

haven't we known pretty much since the vaccines came out that the vaccine doesn't stop the spread? I don't feel like this is new information. 
    They were never 100% effective (no vaccine is), but Delta has increased breakthrough cases significantly.  Again, I'm not an infectious disease expert, so I try to listen to those who are.

bbiggs said:

This will be my last comment on this.  First, see Lollapalooza.  Zero masks and zero issue from that mass gathering according to the experts.  Second, I agree with you saying if a band/ venue/ promoter changes requirements and a ticket holder doesn't accept the changes, they should stay home.  That contradicts your barrage of comments that ensued when I said I'd stay home if a mask mandate was added.  It led to all sorts of BS assumptions including anti-vax, Trump, gun-toting, marrying a neighbor's dog, etc.  All good though.  That stuff is humorous to me and I have better things to do than argue on a rock band forum. 

bbiggs said:

They were never 100% effective (no vaccine is), but Delta has increased breakthrough cases significantly.  Again, I'm not an infectious disease expert, so I try to listen to those who are.

You said "vaccines aren't enough to stop the spread right now....this is a new development since these shows were announced/sold".

no, it isn't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

This will be my last comment on this.  First, see Lollapalooza.  Zero masks and zero issue from that mass gathering according to the experts.  Second, I agree with you saying if a band/ venue/ promoter changes requirements and a ticket holder doesn't accept the changes, they should stay home.  That contradicts your barrage of comments that ensued when I said I'd stay home if a mask mandate was added.  It led to all sorts of BS assumptions including anti-vax, Trump, gun-toting, marrying a neighbor's dog, etc.  All good though.  That stuff is humorous to me and I have better things to do than argue on a rock band forum. 

but was Delta at a peak then?  I think that is the issue.  Although I keep hearing that they expect a decrease in cases since it has already pushed a big wave through
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    bbiggs said:

You said "vaccines aren't enough to stop the spread right now....this is a new development since these shows were announced/sold".

no, it isn't. 
    Delta...a mutation that the vaccine isn't as effective against as the original strain...isn't a new development since Ohana was announced/sold?

bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I'll apologize--I shouldn't have jumped on you like that.  I've seen you around these boards enough to know you're not a conspiracy nut.  I was surprised by your stance (for that same reason) and I was disappointed by today's NIN announcement and it worries me about Ohana.  To me, a mask is no big deal.  We can disagree on that as long as we agree on what you indicated above.  No hard feelings, I hope.

bbiggs said:

no, it isn't. 
    Delta...a mutation that the vaccine isn't as effective against as the original strain...isn't a new development since Ohana was announced/sold?

Sure, if you want to move the goal posts, cuz you didn't mention that specifically initially. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    bbiggs said:

no, it isn't. 

Delta was very well known when Encore weekend was announced. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.