Options

Ohana Festival Update

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    ComeToTX said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is attendance for ohana about the same as shn?
    Much smaller
    A perfect size
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 647
    Any feedback on the VIP area?
    is the viewing area ok?
    are there other places to go stand if it’s not?
  • Options
    superfuzz30superfuzz30 Posts: 368
    edited September 2021
    jdopj said:
    is the viewing area ok?
    Looking for info on what vip experience has been this weekend as well
  • Options
    JoMa1998JoMa1998 London, Ontario Posts: 30
    Not too bad so far. The free food is fairly good especially the non-meat chicken fingers. We have not bought the food that you need to pay for so cannot comment.
    Drink lines are short. Prior to Eddie coming on last night the lines got a little longer but still went quickly.
    Grandstand seating area is really good if you are on the far right side. Not a huge seating ares but the closer to the right / stage has worked for us. You do get cut off a bit so it will be tough to see Mike and Jeff tonight but big screen right in front of the VIP seating area. 
    Lots of standing room area against the fence separating VIP and GA but probably already getting busy along the fence.

2005.09.12-London
    2006.05.09-Toronto
    2007.08.05-Lolla, Grant Park
    2008.08.13-EV Toronto
    2009.08.21-Toronto; 2009.10.30-Philly
    2010.05.06-Columbus; 2010.05.07-Noblesville
    2011.06.26-EV Detroit; 2011.09.11-Toronto; 2011.09.12-Toronto; 2011.09.15-Hamilton
    2013.07.16-London; 2013.07.19-Wrigley Field
    2014.10.16-Detroit
    2016.05.08-Ottawa; 2016.05.10-Toronto; 2016.05.12-Toronto; 2016.08.20-Wrigley Field; 2016.08.22-Wrigley Field
    2018.08.18-Wrigley Field; 2018.08.20-Wrigley Field
    2021.09.24/25/26-Ohana Festival; 2021.10.01/02-Ohana Encore
    2022.09.03-Ottawa; 2022.09.06-Hamilton; 2022.09.08-Toronto; 2022-09-15 Nashville 
    2023.08.31-Minneapolis; 2023.09.02-Minneapolis; 2023.09.05-Chicago; 2023.09.07-Chicago; 2023.09.29/30/10.01-Ohana Festival

• Options
    JoMa1998 said:
    Not too bad so far. The free food is fairly good especially the non-meat chicken fingers. We have not bought the food that you need to pay for so cannot comment.
    Drink lines are short. Prior to Eddie coming on last night the lines got a little longer but still went quickly.
    Grandstand seating area is really good if you are on the far right side. Not a huge seating ares but the closer to the right / stage has worked for us. You do get cut off a bit so it will be tough to see Mike and Jeff tonight but big screen right in front of the VIP seating area. 
    Lots of standing room area against the fence separating VIP and GA but probably already getting busy along the fence.

Thanks! How close is that fence right along VIP/GA area?
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 647
    JoMa1998 said:

Thank you
    enjoy the show
  • Options
    jfc Yola..
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,231
    So I’m in the VIP area. Staying well back, as I’d like to be healthy for next weekend. Much less crowded than GA. Beach area is nice and quiet. Rail is fairly close but is off to the side. Free food is basically some appetizers. Food truck options are limited but the tomato/basil pizza is decent if maybe not quite worth an hour wait.

I like the less crowded feel. Your mileage may vary.

Yola was great I thought, and Celisse was shredding. :)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Okay, highlight of the weekend thus far is Brandi Carlile going from “The Joke” straight into Soundgarden with Mike and Matt. Her whole set has been awesome.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    So good to see Mike 
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    If you have VIP, aren’t you still able to go into GA if you want? Doesnt VIP still give u access to the GA viewing areas if u choose ?
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    I was at SHN last week and tonight blew that away. Retrograde was a great opener, much better than DOTC. The Brandi Carlile guest spot on Betterman was phenomenal. I also thought the performances were generally tighter. And then there was the absolutely epic version of Black in the encores. 

Great night. 
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,928
    Okay, highlight of the weekend thus far is Brandi Carlile going from “The Joke” straight into Soundgarden with Mike and Matt. Her whole set has been awesome.
    This is what I was lookin' for 😎
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    fugawzi said:
    If you have VIP, aren’t you still able to go into GA if you want? Doesnt VIP still give u access to the GA viewing areas if u choose ?
    Yes. 
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    They closed with Alive?
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,562
    edited September 2021
    Saltzy23 said:
    They closed with Alive?
    Yes. Really thought they’d come back and play YL. 
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    The curfew at Ohana is a hard curfew. They were going to play another song but Ed saw there wasn’t enough time. 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,346
    Is anyone staying at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott? If so, how was the walk to the show?
    It's right across the street
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    I was at SHN last week and tonight blew that away. Retrograde was a great opener, much better than DOTC. The Brandi Carlile guest spot on Betterman was phenomenal. I also thought the performances were generally tighter. And then there was the absolutely epic version of Black in the encores. 

Great night. 
    Fully agree.  I would also add it’s nice to comment on one of your comments about the shows and not about whether shows will be allowed! Can’t wait for the Encore weekend.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    BELLZDEEPBELLZDEEP Posts: 286
    edited September 2021
    ComeToTX said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    They closed with Alive?
    Yes. Really thought they’d come back and play YL. 
    I bet they close with YL at the end of the Ohana run next Saturday.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    Happy to finally see Brandi live, glad we’ll get more of her next weekend. The collabs today across multiple performances was so strong.
  • Options
    It was a good festival setlist but the mix was not good....bass/bass drum was ridiculously loud and drowned out many of the early guitar solos.  I blame this on the PJ sound guys because the early bands had really good sound.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    SS105464 said:
    It was a good festival setlist but the mix was not good....bass/bass drum was ridiculously loud and drowned out many of the early guitar solos.  I blame this on the PJ sound guys because the early bands had really good sound.
    Where were you standing? I was left of the soundboard about 30 feet and I thought it sounded good. 
  • Options
    SS105464 said:
    Where were you standing? I was left of the soundboard about 30 feet and I thought it sounded good. 

I thought Saturday's sound was off -- waaaaay too much drums/bass, but last night sounded much better. We were in the exact same spot both nights (VIP, well back).
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    SS105464 said:

I thought Saturday's sound was off -- waaaaay too much drums/bass, but last night sounded much better. We were in the exact same spot both nights (VIP, well back).
    I wonder how much of that is Chad Smith pound pound smash. Right away when he started playing  I was thinking that there wasn’t a lot of feel there.  
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    jdopj said:
    is the viewing area ok?
    we sat in the vip bleachers for EV...was very chill...lots of space with decent sound

Saturday we stood in the VIP GA just in front and to the right of the bleachers...lots of space throughout, high bars and stools set up, short bar lines, short waits for merch (pizza line longer)....all in all I thought it was a fantastic set up...something for everyone...if I had one complaint  it was the poor viewing angle of the entire VIP area but good size monitors and excellent sound made up for it...different experience for me  but ideal for seeing a show with my wife...we've agreed to make in an annual trip 

A

PS....10:30pm curfew on Sundays
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Was the attendance ever announced?
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,835
    andrew68 said:
    jdopj said:
    is the viewing area ok?
    we sat in the vip bleachers for EV...was very chill...lots of space with decent sound

Saturday we stood in the VIP GA just in front and to the right of the bleachers...lots of space throughout, high bars and stools set up, short bar lines, short waits for merch (pizza line longer)....all in all I thought it was a fantastic set up...something for everyone...if I had one complaint  it was the poor viewing angle of the entire VIP area but good size monitors and excellent sound made up for it...different experience for me  but ideal for seeing a show with my wife...we've agreed to make in an annual trip 

A

We did VIP on Sat to see what it was all about, and did GA on Fri/Sun. Like Andrew said, the viewing angle is just aiight, and fine if you're ok either not seeing the left side of the stage and/or taking in the show via a screen. For the evening shows my buddy was ok with the well-positioned screens and, especially the VIP area's easy, quick escapes (see what I did there? ha) to the bathrooms and beer stands. I wanted to see The Earthlings live and direct so I gladly joined the GA masses.

Get ready to spend a lot of coin on food and beverages. The overall festival experience was incredible. My only gripe is the costs once inside. Beers, which are in 16oz cans, are 14 a pop. A personal pizza, which was around 12", was $26. :open_mouth: Maybe those are the rates that make it work for the organizers, but as an attendee I felt gouged.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    jjflash said:
    andrew68 said:
    jdopj said:
    is the viewing area ok?

A

We did VIP on Sat to see what it was all about, and did GA on Fri/Sun. Like Andrew said, the viewing angle is just aiight, and fine if you're ok either not seeing the left side of the stage and/or taking in the show via a screen. For the evening shows my buddy was ok with the well-positioned screens and, especially the VIP area's easy, quick escapes (see what I did there? ha) to the bathrooms and beer stands. I wanted to see The Earthlings live and direct so I gladly joined the GA masses.

Get ready to spend a lot of coin on food and beverages. The overall festival experience was incredible. My only gripe is the costs once inside. Beers, which are in 16oz cans, are 14 a pop. A personal pizza, which was around 12", was $26. :open_mouth: Maybe those are the rates that make it work for the organizers, but as an attendee I felt gouged.
    I spent a lot of money on booze,  between the wife and me.  Crazy number over three days and many hours. 

Getting those fake sunscreen containers that you fill with liquor is the way to go. 
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    andrew68 said:
    jdopj said:
    is the viewing area ok?

A

I am bringing in a big water bottle to refill. There is no way I would spend $14 for a beer. They are not even that much at a MLB stadium. If I really want a beer, I can wait until after the show.