Critical Race Theory

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    edited June 2021
    I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this from the AMT?
    What? Teaching about racism? I put institutional racism deniers right up there with holocaust deniers. How about you?
    Couldn't agree with you more.  I do not agree that race should be pointed out in everything though.

I think the average white person in North America would be surprised how much race weighs in to pretty much everything, in some way. 
    I think you are right. Growing up, you were taught about the Civil war, segregation laws and the Civil rights movement, but not a whole lot more than that. I was never taught about the Tulsa massacre, redlining of neighborhoods to assure keeping black people out of certain areas, the US interstate system annexing areas of towns that were primarily black neighborhoods to build the highways. There are too many to mention. All of them shaped the living experience of black citizens, with little to none of them designed to be truly beneficial to them.
    Same, and conservatives want to keep it this way. 

They need a safe space away from the reality of our country's history. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    mickeyrat said:
    HC Richardson and her historian colleague Joanne Freeman discuss CRT on their new podcast Now and Then

link provided by her and found elsewhere as well.

You are 100% ok with it?  Nothing you would change?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    mickeyrat said:
    HC Richardson and her historian colleague Joanne Freeman discuss CRT on their new podcast Now and Then

not having said one word about this at all personally, I fail to see how you come to that conclusion.

I posted a link to a podcast by a pair if historians and gave no comment.

Frankly on a topic such as this I would prefer to learn more before offering any commentary specfically on the theory itself.

I will offer high criticism to gop controlled legislatures for their kneejerk legislation surrounding the theory
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

not having said one word about this at all personally, I fail to see how you come to that conclusion.

Frankly on a topic such as this I would prefer to learn more before offering any commentary specfically on the theory itself.

I will offer high criticism to gop controlled legislatures for their kneejerk legislation surrounding the theory
    I asked a question.  Figured you posted it because you listened to it.

People post articles then get lambasted for them sometimes. You usually post good things with reason which is exactly why I asked.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476

Fox News trying to claim that Tom Hanks was ‘canceled’ is proof of its utter desperation

You may have a hard time understanding how Dr. Seuss, Mr. Potato Head and Tom Hanks are connected, but that probably just means you haven’t been watching nearly enough Fox News recently.

The cable network, which suffered a shaky existential moment after Donald Trump lost his reelection bid, has recovered its purpose — and its ratings.

These days, Fox is all-in on culture wars and outrage-stoking.

The latest is a ridiculous fuss that began with a recent guest essay by Tom Hanks in the New York Times, in which the actor reflected on how he was not taught about the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921, in which hundreds of Black people were killed by a White mob.

That essay prompted NPR’s Eric Deggans to write a response last weekend headlined “Tom Hanks Is a Non-Racist. It’s Time for Him To Be Anti-Racist.”

Deggans praised Hanks, using words like “wise” and “wonderful.” He began: “First I must note how much I love Tom Hanks as a performer, Hollywood citizen and all-around stand-up guy.” And he went on, in a measured way, to urge that Hanks should now go further: “After many years of speaking out about race and media in America, I know the toughest thing for some white Americans — especially those who consider themselves advocates against racism — is to admit how they were personally and specifically connected to the elevation of white culture over other cultures.”

Always poised for an unnecessary fight, Fox News went to town on this, claiming that simply by virtue of receiving a mild critique from another writer, Hanks had now been unjustly “canceled.” It’s the scare word getting applied to almost anything these days, meant to evoke a beatdown from some unforgiving woke mob. The estate of Dr. Seuss decides to stop publishing several obscure books because of racist imagery? Cancel culture! Hasbro considers marketing its plastic toys in a more gender-neutral way? Cancel culture!

So you can imagine what glee Fox commentators took in this perceived rebuke of an Oscar winner. “Cancel Culture Comes for Tom Hanks,” warned an on-air teaser.

Being white in America apparently has a lot of pitfalls,” commiserated anchor Bill Hemmer. And contributor Joe Concha of the Hill chimed in about “perpetual protesters” for whom, “no matter what Tom Hanks does, it will never be enough.”

Deggans pushed back: “Fox News associating my column with cancel culture is disingenuous and inaccurate. And now I have a new deluge of Fox fans who haven’t read my column objecting to something I haven’t said.”

But so it goes. Accuracy is not really the point here. Nor is anything that can even loosely be called “news.”

Last fall, shortly after the election, as Fox teetered slightly — briefly losing audience share to Newsmax and One America to its right, and to CNN and MSNBC to its left — I had the quixotic notion of suggesting something that the network might do.

With the cable network’s great hero, Donald Trump, moving off center stage, I thought perhaps Fox might want to pursue more hard-edged reporting about serious subjects. Beef up the news report; tone down the rhetoric.

If they did it from a conservative perspective, fine. But they could at least make their programming about the news, not hyperpartisan commentary.

It was probably always a pipe dream. But now it’s clear: Fox has gone entirely the other way.

The news programming at 7 and 11 p.m. has been replaced with opinion shows. Donna Brazile, a former Democratic National Committee chairwoman, left Fox News for ABC. Juan Williams, a solitary moderate-to-liberal voice on the afternoon talk show “The Five” has moved out of that slot. And partisan voices like Greg Gutfeld and Dan Bongino have been elevated.

“Instead of trying to broaden their audience, Fox News is narrowing it and digging in,” Susan Estrich, the attorney who represented Fox co-founder Roger Ailes when he left the network in 2016 after settling a major sexual harassment suit by Gretchen Carlson, told the New York Times last month.

Take the network’s nearly constant harping against the supposed dangers of teaching American schoolchildren about systemic racism, which is now nightly telegraphed using the faculty-lounge jargon of “critical race theory.”

The clear purpose — the only purpose — is to stoke outrage and division among viewers who may think they’re getting meaningful news content.

When Fox’s biggest star, Tucker Carlson, riled up his audience over CRT supposedly being taught in a suburban Maine school district, it added to a near panic already underway, reported NBC News. Jeff Porter, a schools superintendent, described intense turmoil after a national conservative group started a campaign to prove that his district was teaching CRT. Billboard-sized lawn signs, hate mail, efforts to get school board members to resign — it all added up to a school system “almost held hostage” by the battle, Porter said.

Fox has mentioned critical race theory almost 1,300 times in the past few months, according to a new study from Media Matters, the progressive media-watchdog organization.

But this is only the latest example of what Fox is up to. Back in April, Carlson was urging his viewers to call the police or child protective services to report child abuse if they saw children wearing masks.

From a ratings perspective, it’s working. After that shaky moment, Fox again rules the cable-news roost.

But, as always with the way Fox spreads its toxic ugliness, there is a real downside — if not to its bottom line, then to the way Americans function, or don’t function, as citizens.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

People post articles then get lambasted for them sometimes. You usually post good things with reason which is exactly why I asked.

to ask Are you ok with it is far different than You are ok with it?.

the former suggests an open mind. the latter seeking confirmation of a preconceived conclusion.

as you stated elsewhere, words matter. but so does the order of words.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

to ask Are you ok with it is far different than You are ok with it?.

the former suggests an open mind. the latter seeking confirmation of a preconceived conclusion.

as you stated elsewhere, words matter. but so does the order of words.
    "words matter" was a dig somewhere else and it was meant as a joke obviously...
    As for the second part, no.  That's reading wayyyy too far into it.  You were looking to find something that wasn't there.  

I explained myself very well the second time after you came to a conclusion that was wrong and you doubled down on it.

I really don't get some of you sometimes...
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    What? Teaching about racism? I put institutional racism deniers right up there with holocaust deniers. How about you?
    Couldn't agree with you more.  I do not agree that race should be pointed out in everything though.

I think the average white person in North America would be surprised how much race weighs in to pretty much everything, in some way. 
    Yes, I think the average "person" would be surprised how much race weighs in everything.

Really? You believe the "average" Black person or Hispanic person "would be surprised" by how much race weighs in everything? Wow
    I changed the wording to remove color from the equation and then it came right back in your response.

I was curious if you removed it would it even be recognized and you proved that for me.  That's all.
    Because color matters, duh. You still didn't answer the question.
    I said average person.  Your question makes it sound like a black or Hispanic person isn't an average person.  Is that what you're getting at?  They aren't average people?
    The average person includes all people of all races, yes? I would expect that the average that "would be surprised that race weighing into everything", amongst the average Black or Hispanic person would be substantially higher than both the "average person (all races)" and particularly among average Whites. Is that a surprise to you?

Of course their are "average" people of all races. Like HFD asked, "what hairs are you splitting?" To your last question, no, there are a % who are way above average, as with all races. And unfortunately, there's a larger percentage who fall below average, in almost any method/category of measurement.
    Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
    FiveBelow said:

Yes, I think the average "person" would be surprised how much race weighs in everything.

Really? You believe the "average" Black person or Hispanic person "would be surprised" by how much race weighs in everything? Wow
    I changed the wording to remove color from the equation and then it came right back in your response.

I was curious if you removed it would it even be recognized and you proved that for me.  That's all.
    Because color matters, duh. You still didn't answer the question.
    I said average person.  Your question makes it sound like a black or Hispanic person isn't an average person.  Is that what you're getting at?  They aren't average people?
    The average person includes all people of all races, yes? I would expect that the average that "would be surprised that race weighing into everything", amongst the average Black or Hispanic person would be substantially higher than both the "average person (all races)" and particularly among average Whites. Is that a surprise to you?

Of course their are "average" people of all races. Like HFD asked, "what hairs are you splitting?" To your last question, no, there are a % who are way above average, as with all races. And unfortunately, there's a larger percentage who fall below average, in almost any method/category of measurement.
    Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
    Is that a meme or a GIF? Strong work regardless.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    edited June 2021
    From Amazon about the author of the email that landed in my spam folder. Good lord that spam is realz.

$8.99
    Are You a Sapient Being?Sapience, also known as wisdom, is the ability to think and act using knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense and insight. Sapience is associated with attributes such as intelligence, enlightenment, unbiased judgment, compassion, experiential self-knowledge, self-actualization, and virtues such as ethics and benevolence. Being a sapient being is not about identity politics, it's about doing what is right and borrows many of the essential qualities of Centrism that supports strength, tradition, open mindedness, and policy based on evidence not ideology. Sapient beings are independent minded thinkers that achieve common sense solutions that appropriately address America's and the world's most pressing issues. They gauge situations based on context and reason, consideration, and probability. They are open minded and exercise conviction and willing to fight for it on the intellectual battlefield. Sapient beings don't blindly and recklessly follow their feelings or emotions. Their unifying ideology is based on the truth, reason, logic, scientific method, and pragmatism-and not necessarily defined by compromise, moderation, or any particular faith-but is considerate of them. Does this sound like you? Or someone you want to be? Are you ready for a Society Advancing Personal Intelligence & Enlightenment Now Together (S.A.P.I.E.N.T. ). If the answer is yes-The S.A.P.I.E.N.T. Being might be right for you!Amazon.com: Corey Lee Wilson: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Email that landed in my spam folder: Epoch Times helps explain it. And don't click on any links within the email below if there are any.
    It’s hard to know what’s worse—brainwashing kids or lying about it. Parents worried their kids are being indoctrinated with critical race theory can’t get straight answers. Local school boards and principals lie to them, claiming children are merely being taught to be “critical thinkers.” On Saturday June 12, 2021, the truth came out. Teachers unions and activists held rallies in 22 cities to support critical race theory. What they said was eye-popping. They unabashedly declared that their goal is indoctrinating students in far-left causes. The Zinn Education Project, which organized Saturday’s events, produces race-centric material for junior high and high schools across the country. Lesson plans are offered free for teachers to download. Parents wondering where the critical race theory their children are getting comes from can go to the website. They’ll be shocked. Marxist historian Howard Zinn’s views on teaching social studies Zinn was founded by the late Howard Zinn, a Marxist historian who said that teaching social studies wasn’t about dates and events. It was to make students want to change the world, overthrowing the status quo. A Zinn lesson called “Students Design a Reparations Bill” explains that students will be asked to improve on the “flimsy” reparations bills currently in Congress. Critical thinking isn’t encouraged. This isn’t a debate about whether there should be reparations. This is one-sided indoctrination. “As racial justice activists, student are all on the ‘same side,’ in this role play,” says the Zinn website. Other extreme left groups supplying social studies materials for schools include the Southern Poverty Law Center and Black Lives Matter at School. SPLC tells educators to stand their ground against parents “and vigorously resist efforts to maintain the status quo.” No wonder parents are getting the run around. It’s not just white families protesting Keisha King, a black mother from Duval County, Florida, warned the Florida Board of Education that telling a child he’s the victim of oppression is “the essence of holding a child back.” Michael Rivera, a Virginian, explains that he “married a wonderful woman who happens to be white. My son is white.” He objects that “according to critical race theory, my son should have white guilt and white privilege.” More than 500 people have signed a petition demanding a curriculum that allows students to learn “without the titles of racist and victim” in Guilford, Connecticut, a small town outside of New Haven. Yet the Guilford school superintendent insists schools aren’t teaching critical race theory. Does he think parents are lying about the homework in their kids’ backpacks? In Greenwich, Connecticut, parents went to the microphone at a May 20 school board meeting, parents to quote materials their children had brought home, including a “white bias” survey for seventh graders. The school board members and school superintendent sat silently. Last week, the superintendent sent out an email to parents explaining that Greenwich wants students to be “critical thinkers” but deftly denying that critical race theory is part of the curriculum. That may be technically true. Critical race theory originated in law schools. But what’s being taught in elementary and secondary schools across the country is a simplified version. Sapient parents can fight back by replacing their local school board officials Since school administrators will lie and obfuscate to push ahead with critical race theory, parents have only one choice. They have to organize and run candidates to replace the local school boards. School board elections are usually quiet, because unions and other insiders like it that way. Now’s the time for parents to grab control. Twenty states with Republican legislative majorities are trying to ban critical race theory. They’re not calling for whitewashing American history, as some activists claim, but they require diversity of viewpoints and prohibit lessons that would shame students for their “privilege.” Even so, state bans are not ideal. They may run afoul of the First Amendment. And it’s hard to know what’s going on in each school. That’s what local school boards are for. Even in blue states, Republican candidates who challenge local school boards will make inroads and gain converts to the GOP. This is a winning issue. Parents—whether independents, Democrats, Republicans or black, white, Hispanic and Asian—want their children to be educated—not indoctrinated. This article content courtesy of the Epoch Times “Opinion: The Leftists Writing Your Child’s Social Studies Lessons” by Betsy McCaughey, former lieutenant governor of New York.

Brilliantati©
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    It's  just another ignorantQop dog whistle.
    Right after ...

Antifa
    BLM
    Dems
    Immigrants 
    libs
    Socialists
    Etc
    I suggest that you surf The Howard Zinn History Project website.

https://www.zinnedproject.org/

But keep your gun handy because they’re coming for your kids, hard and fast. In fact, one posted comment I came upon was from 2015. I guess the drug mule women rapers with calves the size of cantaloupes distracted everyone? Boo!

Brilliantati©

critical race theory

social sciences
    WRITTEN BY
    The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica
    Encyclopaedia Britannica's editors oversee subject areas in which they have extensive knowledge, whether from years of experience gained by working on that content or via study for an advanced degree....
    Last Updated: Jun 16, 2021 See Article History
    Alternative Title: CRT

critical race theory (CRT), intellectual movement and loosely organized framework of legal analysis based on the premise that race is not a natural, biologically grounded feature of physically distinct subgroups of human beings but a socially constructed (culturally invented) category that is used to oppress and exploit people of colour. Critical race theorists hold that the law and legal institutions in the United States are inherently racist insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans.

critical race theory
    Quick Facts

Critical race theory (CRT) was officially organized in 1989, at the first annual Workshop on Critical Race Theory, though its intellectual origins go back much farther, to the 1960s and ’70s. Its immediate precursor was the critical legal studies (CLS) movement, which dedicated itself to examining how the law and legal institutions serve the interests of the wealthy and powerful at the expense of the poor and marginalized. (CLS, an offshoot of Marxist-oriented critical theory, may also be viewed as a radicalization of early 20th-century legal realism, a school of legal philosophy according to which judicial decision making, especially at the appellate level, is influenced as much by nonlegal—political or ideological—factors as by precedent and principles of legal reasoning.) Like CLS scholars, critical race theorists believed that political liberalism was incapable of adequately addressing fundamental problems of injustice in American society (notwithstanding legislation and court rulings advancing civil rights in the 1950s and ’60s), because its emphasis on the equitable treatment under the law of all races (“colour blindness”) rendered it capable of recognizing only the most overt and obvious racist practices, not those that were relatively indirect, subtle, or systemic. Liberalism was also faulted for mistakenly presupposing the apolitical nature of judicial decision making and for taking a self-consciously incremental or reformist approach that prolonged unjust social arrangements and afforded opportunities for retrenchment and backsliding through administrative delays and conservative legal challenges. Unlike most CLS scholars, however, critical race theorists did not wish to abandon the notions of law or legal rights altogether, because, in their experience, some laws and legal reforms had done much to help oppressed or exploited people.

Top Questions

What is critical race theory?

Why was critical race theory developed?

Why is critical race theory important?

How does critical race theory challenge the neutrality of law?

How did critical race theory evolve?

In their work Critical Race Theory: An Introduction, first published in 2001, the legal scholars Richard Delgado (one of the founders of CRT) and Jean Stefancic discuss several general propositions that they claim would be accepted by many critical race theorists, despite the considerable variation of belief among members of the movement. These “basic tenets” of CRT, according to the authors, include the following claims: (1) Race is socially constructed, not biologically natural. (2) Racism in the United States is normal, not aberrational: it is the common, ordinary experience of most people of colour. (3) Owing to what critical race theorists call “interest convergence” or “material determinism,” legal advances (or setbacks) for people of colour tend to serve the interests of dominant white groups. Thus, the racial hierarchy that characterizes American society may be unaffected or even reinforced by ostensible improvements in the legal status of oppressed or exploited people. (4) Members of minority groups periodically undergo “differential racialization,” or the attribution to them of varying sets of negative stereotypes, again depending on the needs or interests of whites. (5) According to the thesis of “intersectionality” or “antiessentialism,” no individual can be adequately identified by membership in a single group. An African American person, for example, may also identify as a woman, a lesbian, a feminist, a Christian, and so on. Finally, (6) the “voice of colour” thesis holds that people of colour are uniquely qualified to speak on behalf of other members of their group (or groups) regarding the forms and effects of racism. This consensus has led to the growth of the “legal story telling” movement, which argues that the self-expressed views of victims of racism and other forms of oppression provide essential insight into the nature of the legal system.

CRT has influenced scholarship in fields outside the confines of legal studies, including women’s and gender studies, education, American studies, and sociology. CRT spin-off movements formed by Asian American, Latinx, LGBTQ, Muslim, and Native American scholars have also taken hold. In the early 21st century, critical race theorists addressed themselves to a number of issues, including police brutality and criminal justice, hate speech and hate crimes, health care, affirmative action, poverty and the welfare state, immigration, and voting rights.

Get a Britannica Premium subscription and gain access to exclusive content. Subscribe Now
    The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica This article was most recently revised and updated by Brian Duignan, Senior Editor.
    newsletter icon
    History at your fingertips
    Email address
    By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Notice.

edited June 2021
    mickeyrat said:

found the podcast to be enlightening and fascinating.

they mentioned a book on black history in this country written in late 1800s by George Washington Williams. 2 actually. seems both were well received and regarded. will be looking into those .
    as for the topic , I need a computer to get my initial thoughts down.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

they mentioned a book on black history in this country written in late 1800s by George Washington Williams. 2 actually. seems both were well received and regarded. will be looking into those .
    I listened to this too and it wasn't anything earth shattering.  The sky isn't falling.  It was a good listen and the book you mention was the one thing I got out of it too that was enlightening.

So the opponents on Long Island of CRT that I have heard on the news must either have a rogue teacher or are just misinformed.

But keep your gun handy because they’re coming for your kids, hard and fast. In fact, one posted comment I came upon was from 2015. I guess the drug mule women rapers with calves the size of cantaloupes distracted everyone? Boo!
    Listening to the podcast on CRT they said and even Zinn said to take this as a part and not the whole so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle and misunderstood.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I listened to this too and it wasn't anything earth shattering.  The sky isn't falling.  It was a good listen and the book you mention was the one thing I got out of it too that was enlightening.

So the opponents on Long Island of CRT that I have heard on the news must either have a rogue teacher or are just misinformed.

Or....they could oppose because they think the whole theory is BS
    Or....they could oppose because they are worried about what is theirs being taken by non-whites  (although, LI is not a cheap place to live, I would expect most who live on the island are relatively secure, financially.)
    Or....there could be many reasons, right?

Think you are giving people the benefit of the doubt.  While kind, I don't believe we are in a good spot for that as a society right now.  (Personal belief, of course.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Or....they could oppose because they are worried about what is theirs being taken by non-whites  (although, LI is not a cheap place to live, I would expect most who live on the island are relatively secure, financially.)

Think you are giving people the benefit of the doubt.  While kind, I don't believe we are in a good spot for that as a society right now.  (Personal belief, of course.)
    I'm reading into it more.

If you stop being kind then all is lost and I'll admit I can get testy at times.  I have always wondered what would happen if both sides decided to pick up a rock rather than read and or listen?  We are approaching that unfortunately.

Listening to the podcast on CRT they said and even Zinn said to take this as a part and not the whole so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle and misunderstood.
    And yet, here we are. ‘Murica.

Brilliantati©
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited June 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

If you stop being kind then all is lost and I'll admit I can get testy at times.  I have always wondered what would happen if both sides decided to pick up a rock rather than read and or listen?  We are approaching that unfortunately.

Yeah, I can see that. 
    Tough for me to be optimistic about the way Americans feel on things, as a group, given everything we have seen over the past 5 years or so.
    Just baffles me how quickly we are lowering pretty much every bar.  This belief informs the way I anticipate people reacting to things....good or bad, this is what goes on in my head.  My expectations are plummeting as far as people around me (us) being good people at the core, and people who care about the well being of others - especially those who are different than we are.  (Different country, different race, different religion, etc.)
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    edited June 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah, I can see that. 
    Tough for me to be optimistic about the way Americans feel on things, as a group, given everything we have seen over the past 5 years or so.
    Just baffles me how quickly we are lowering pretty much every bar.  This belief informs the way I anticipate people reacting to things....good or bad, this is what goes on in my head.  My expectations are plummeting as far as people around me (us) being good people at the core, and people who care about the well being of others - especially those who are different than we are.  (Different country, different race, different religion, etc.)
    I tend to agree with you because of the effect of social media, lack of critical thinking and a knowledge deficit of most things, history and science chief among them. However, before you give up all hope, consider Daryl Davis. I stumbled upon him on Instagram and watched a riveting 15 minute talk of his where he tells the story of meeting with the head of a KKK chapter and its aftermath. I can't find it but if I do, I'll post it. In the meantime, check out the links below:

How One Man Convinced 200 Ku Klux Klan Members To Give Up Their Robes : NPR

Brilliantati©
    Will take a look, thanks!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited June 2021
    To republicans, Critical Race Theory is the new Defund the Police, just as Tony Fauci is the new Hillary Clinton.

Our country's history is messy. Children need to know that. Whitewashing over the sins committed and just telling them that America is great is not something we should be doing. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    To republicans, Critical Race Theory is the new Defund the Police, just as Tony Fauci is the new Hillary Clinton.

Our country's history is messy. Children need to know that. Whitewashing over the sins committed and just telling them that America is great is not something we should be doing. 

Also, our country's current state is messy.  ;)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

I would agree that in North America race weighs much in many things but I would never say everything.  First of all, that's not a provable notion and I think it's best to be able to substantiate any statement made regarding such an important issue. And secondly, if you go about trying to educate white America about race and tell people something like that, you'll do as much to lead as many people to dig their heels in further in their racist views as you will to change minds.  I would take a firm approach to race education, but one perhaps for tactful.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited June 2021

Fox News trying to claim that Tom Hanks was ‘canceled’ is proof of its utter desperation

You may have a hard time understanding how Dr. Seuss, Mr. Potato Head and Tom Hanks are connected, but that probably just means you haven’t been watching nearly enough Fox News recently.

The cable network, which suffered a shaky existential moment after Donald Trump lost his reelection bid, has recovered its purpose — and its ratings.

These days, Fox is all-in on culture wars and outrage-stoking.

The latest is a ridiculous fuss that began with a recent guest essay by Tom Hanks in the New York Times, in which the actor reflected on how he was not taught about the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921, in which hundreds of Black people were killed by a White mob.

That essay prompted NPR’s Eric Deggans to write a response last weekend headlined “Tom Hanks Is a Non-Racist. It’s Time for Him To Be Anti-Racist.”

Deggans praised Hanks, using words like “wise” and “wonderful.” He began: “First I must note how much I love Tom Hanks as a performer, Hollywood citizen and all-around stand-up guy.” And he went on, in a measured way, to urge that Hanks should now go further: “After many years of speaking out about race and media in America, I know the toughest thing for some white Americans — especially those who consider themselves advocates against racism — is to admit how they were personally and specifically connected to the elevation of white culture over other cultures.”

Always poised for an unnecessary fight, Fox News went to town on this, claiming that simply by virtue of receiving a mild critique from another writer, Hanks had now been unjustly “canceled.” It’s the scare word getting applied to almost anything these days, meant to evoke a beatdown from some unforgiving woke mob. The estate of Dr. Seuss decides to stop publishing several obscure books because of racist imagery? Cancel culture! Hasbro considers marketing its plastic toys in a more gender-neutral way? Cancel culture!

So you can imagine what glee Fox commentators took in this perceived rebuke of an Oscar winner. “Cancel Culture Comes for Tom Hanks,” warned an on-air teaser.

“Being white in America apparently has a lot of pitfalls,” commiserated anchor Bill Hemmer. And contributor Joe Concha of the Hill chimed in about “perpetual protesters” for whom, “no matter what Tom Hanks does, it will never be enough.”

Deggans pushed back: “Fox News associating my column with cancel culture is disingenuous and inaccurate. And now I have a new deluge of Fox fans who haven’t read my column objecting to something I haven’t said.”

But so it goes. Accuracy is not really the point here. Nor is anything that can even loosely be called “news.”

Last fall, shortly after the election, as Fox teetered slightly — briefly losing audience share to Newsmax and One America to its right, and to CNN and MSNBC to its left — I had the quixotic notion of suggesting something that the network might do.

With the cable network’s great hero, Donald Trump, moving off center stage, I thought perhaps Fox might want to pursue more hard-edged reporting about serious subjects. Beef up the news report; tone down the rhetoric.

If they did it from a conservative perspective, fine. But they could at least make their programming about the news, not hyperpartisan commentary.

It was probably always a pipe dream. But now it’s clear: Fox has gone entirely the other way.

The news programming at 7 and 11 p.m. has been replaced with opinion shows. Donna Brazile, a former Democratic National Committee chairwoman, left Fox News for ABC. Juan Williams, a solitary moderate-to-liberal voice on the afternoon talk show “The Five” has moved out of that slot. And partisan voices like Greg Gutfeld and Dan Bongino have been elevated.

“Instead of trying to broaden their audience, Fox News is narrowing it and digging in,” Susan Estrich, the attorney who represented Fox co-founder Roger Ailes when he left the network in 2016 after settling a major sexual harassment suit by Gretchen Carlson, told the New York Times last month.

Take the network’s nearly constant harping against the supposed dangers of teaching American schoolchildren about systemic racism, which is now nightly telegraphed using the faculty-lounge jargon of “critical race theory.”

The clear purpose — the only purpose — is to stoke outrage and division among viewers who may think they’re getting meaningful news content.

When Fox’s biggest star, Tucker Carlson, riled up his audience over CRT supposedly being taught in a suburban Maine school district, it added to a near panic already underway, reported NBC News. Jeff Porter, a schools superintendent, described intense turmoil after a national conservative group started a campaign to prove that his district was teaching CRT. Billboard-sized lawn signs, hate mail, efforts to get school board members to resign — it all added up to a school system “almost held hostage” by the battle, Porter said.

Fox has mentioned critical race theory almost 1,300 times in the past few months, according to a new study from Media Matters, the progressive media-watchdog organization.

But this is only the latest example of what Fox is up to. Back in April, Carlson was urging his viewers to call the police or child protective services to report child abuse if they saw children wearing masks.

From a ratings perspective, it’s working. After that shaky moment, Fox again rules the cable-news roost.

But, as always with the way Fox spreads its toxic ugliness, there is a real downside — if not to its bottom line, then to the way Americans function, or don’t function, as citizens.

Deggan's comment,  "After many years of speaking out about race and media in America, I know the toughest thing for some white Americans — especially those who consider themselves advocates against racism — is to admit how they were personally and specifically connected to the elevation of white culture over other cultures,” just seems like overkill to me.  The whole notion that if you are a white male you are inherently racist just doesn't make sense to me. 

Maybe it's because I grew up in a very multi-cultural environment. I took wrestling in high school.  I made it to the finals in our gym class and lost to a Japanese fellow.  Neither of us complained about how one or the other of us has the more stinky feet or sweat. 
    I got along a lot better with the black dude in my history class than I did that white asshole in Spanish class who used to beat on me.  But in my  thinking, neither reaction had anything to do with one guy being black or one guy being white.  It was more about one guy was cool, the other guy was a dick.
    Then I went off to live on my own in San Francisco (at a time when people could live there working at minimum wage).  I lived in a housing complex that was 80% black, 25% other and 5% percent white.  We were all people.  Didn't bother me.  Big deal.
    Later on, I worked for a while on a farm working along side a Mexican immigrant who could sing like a bird.  We picked fruit.  One day I cut his hair and in payment, he pulled out two six packs of cheap beer and we had a good time drinking and trying to understand what the other was saying.  Maybe I should have given him all 12 beers and cut my throat after cutting his hair and that would make me less racist.  But you know, really, Odelon would not have liked that one damn bit.
    Now I live in Trump country and one of the worst things about it is the lack of diversity.  It's very white and I make a little money selling books and records.  Is that my sin.   What the fuck?
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited June 2021
    I think you missed the point Deggans was trying to make, entirely, and reached the same conclusion Fox News wants to try and lead viewers to.
    Deggans is not saying Hanks (or other people he mentions) are racists.  In fact, he comes right out and says that in his piece.
    Did you happen to read that?
    I'm sure he would not say anything about the stories you shared support that you are actually racist yourself, despite being white.  ;)
    CRT isn't about trying to tell people they are racists because they are white.

On a funny note....weren't you a supporter of the Math Candidate?
    :lol:
    80+25+5 would give you 110%

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I think it's naïve to believe that the average "person" would be surprised by how much race weighs in everything. I'd wager nearly all non-whites know that reality day in and day out. 
    Race and racist are two different things.

I am asking a question out loud and if it is race that weighs in or is it racism?

This would be a better conversation in person, it would flow better.
    i gotta be honest, i'm not even sure which hairs you're splitting here. 
    I had a response written out and it will just get more convoluted.

At the end of the day I would like to see race brought up and not have racism follow it.  I don't think that it is ever possible.

Because you can’t have one without the other that’s how I see it. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited June 2021
    I’m not sure if this is the spot to discuss this, but here I go…how do you eliminate systemic racism?  Recently an Inuit Member of  Parliament decided not to run again because she was often a victim of systemic racism in Parliament?  I work at a school board in the 4th most diverse city in Canada…it’s a pretty damn white school board…certainly not a reflection of the schools population?  
    Give Peas A Chance…