Taylor Swift

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
edited June 2021 in Other Music
Been listening to her new stuff and remakes, and admittedly I have not paid any attention to her since the Kanye is an ass stuff.

She has really done an amazing job evolving.  Her voice is stellar, and she is writing some great stuff.  She has masterfully gotten out of the shell the record companies try to keep you in, and turned into one hell of a musician.

What do you all think of her?  Saw her name on a lot of the top albums of the year lists on this board.

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    She's fantastic. Been a huge fan since Red. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Best artist ever*

*behind a few others

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Here was the Folklore/Evermore discussion at the time.

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/7298566#Comment_7298566
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    I do agree that she has an amazing voice and is a good song-writer and puts everything into her performances.

That most recent song on the radio I've heard...there is a line where she says "every bait and switch was a work of art"....I don't agree with how the elite bait and switch people and misuse their powers.  That line rubbed me the wrong way.  I have fell victim to this many times in the last five years, people using me to get what they want or who they want.    I have had people stolen from me because the beautiful and elite knew how to manipulate the situations.  Bait and switch implies manipulation.  If it was to defeat Trump some how, then cool.  I knew that she hated Trump.  I'll never know the story behind those lyrics.  If someone does then by all means, let us know.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421
    I do agree that she has an amazing voice and is a good song-writer and puts everything into her performances.

That most recent song on the radio I've heard...there is a line where she says "every bait and switch was a work of art"....I don't agree with how the elite bait and switch people and misuse their powers.  That line rubbed me the wrong way.  I have fell victim to this many times in the last five years, people using me to get what they want or who they want.    I have had people stolen from me because the beautiful and elite knew how to manipulate the situations.  Bait and switch implies manipulation.  If it was to defeat Trump some how, then cool.  I knew that she hated Trump.  I'll never know the story behind those lyrics.  If someone does then by all means, let us know.  

as with most her stuff to my understanding, its personal. She's on the receiving end of it.

look at the lyrics in total.

I guess maybe I don't quite understand your pov on this. seems like another been done wrong song to me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mickeyrat said:

as with most her stuff to my understanding, its personal. She's on the receiving end of it.

look at the lyrics in total.

I guess maybe I don't quite understand your pov on this. seems like another been done wrong song to me.
    Another John Mayer reference?
    Her current writing style is telling stories that are mostly made up with flourishes of the personal. So what she referencing specifically is anyone’s guess. 

willow seems to be about starting a relationship and things may not be what they seem on the surface or initially. So that could be the bait and switch. First impressions vs. what the reality is. But clearly it’s a love song, so she must mean that their first impressions must not be what they ended up with. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    She is no idiot, she is one of those give me a annual or semi-annual fued to keep me in the news cycle type for sure.

She has come a long way since showing her teeny bop pics in the background.
  • I'm amazed that she announced an album (Midnights) and has no singles yet and folks are buying multiple copies out of the gate.

I hope it's a bit more up beat than the folklore and evermore coffeehouse vibe of the past couple of years.
  • Given the theming of the record, I think it’s more evermore/folklore vibes than Lover. 
  • I never bought Lover on vinyl. Should fix that. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    I never bought Lover on vinyl. Should fix that. 
    Lover is fantastic. Very interested to see what direction she chooses for this album. 
  • marjen said:
    I never bought Lover on vinyl. Should fix that. 
    Lover is fantastic. Very interested to see what direction she chooses for this album. 
    Agree. Lover is fantastic, though took a minute to get there for me. Definitely one of her better duets in 'Me!' with Panic At the Disco.
    Who’s ready for midnights? 
  • marjen said:
    Who’s ready for midnights? 
    LISTENING NOW
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    Video is brilliant. Lots of cool in-the-know references and probably a bunch I just don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kbLwvqugk
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    the 3am tracks are fantastic. Album itself is very good. Maybe an 8-8.5/10
    Given the theming of the record, I think it’s more evermore/folklore vibes than Lover. 
    And boy was I way off with this. This fits squarely in between the darker lover tracks and the lighter Reputation tracks. 

• lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    Given the theming of the record, I think it’s more evermore/folklore vibes than Lover. 
    And boy was I way off with this. This fits squarely in between the darker lover tracks and the lighter Reputation tracks. 

Agreed, but I do hear a bit of Evermore and Folklore. I guess I should have held out to buy this damn download. Bought it last night on Amazon and now feel like I need to buy this 3am version. I've already given her so much of my money for this release!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    I am still processing. When I listened last night I was so tired I didn’t get much out of it. Giving it a proper listen now. Have a feeling it’s going to be a grower. Hearing vibes of 1989, lover and evermore. And who drops an album and then 3 hours later drops a 50% larger album lol. 
    The main album is basically all deep cuts. Its poppy, but no big bop or anything. Its an album you need to digest. 

Meanwhile big singles on the 3AM tracks.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pretty cool video
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Album i s so fucking good. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Her voice has gotten better with age
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Video is brilliant. Lots of cool in-the-know references and probably a bunch I just don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kbLwvqugk
    I do really like that video. What are some of the in-the-know references you saw? I probably missed almost all of them.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2022
    Isn't it just a less ambitious version of the video she once did where she met up older Taylors from earlier eras of her career?

Cool with size thing
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 398
    Liked the new album but really loved watching my 14 year old daughter excited for a midnight release. We woke up early before school to listen to it. Brought back memories of midnight releases back in the 90s. I ordered a vinyl for her which came today so I know she'll be excited for that too.
    a few songs are growing on my but it’s overall to synth/pop based for me. Having a feeling it’s going to sit just above reputation, which is at the bottom,  for me.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I couldn't get past the first 20 seconds or so with the drum machine.  Weird that she's gone synth pop.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I dig this record. Its better than Lover for me. Maybe Rep too. But its a mid level record for her.

But the synth pop elements were there in those 2 records. Its almost like shes picking up where she left off before the pandemic. Which I guess would make sense given shes gonna tour next year and she didn't play lover tracks.