tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    more the story.

system failures left and right..

https://news.yahoo.com/makhia-bryants-journey-foster-care-150429468.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The voice on the 911 call is a teenage girl’s, and it is quavering, as if she has been crying. “I want to leave this foster home,” she tells t...

I hope everyone that jumped all over themselves to justify the cop killing a kid reads this.  Turns out girl in pink and several other adults were all going after two kids that already had a tough life. Society fails family, society places girl in system, system fails girl, system kills girl, system blames girl...what a shithole country.
    Before I say this let me remind you that I’m on your side, however, when placing blame you seem to miss the first step before society fails family, and it’s that family failed family. No one should be left blameless in these situations. 
    Sure let’s look into the history of the US and see what led to many of the problems of marginalized communities, I bet it’s a history of racism bad policies and laws, red lining, underinvestment etc. Lets not forget what leads to many people having a tough life, lack of opportunity and a failure of society.
    It sure is. I recently was reading this book:
    32191706 sy475
    Despicable what was done.
    Does this book include the "Projects" that were housing in the bigger cities?  The creation of Long Island?
    It focuses on how policies and laws didn't allow African Americans to live in certain areas and forced the segregation, even when it didn't initially exist. I don't recall it referencing projects, more about how housing, loans and government assistance excluded African Americans. It did not go over the creation of Long Island from what I remember. 
    OK, TY.  I have been wanting to find a book on that.

This sounds like never getting a seat to the table.
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    more the story.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The voice on the 911 call is a teenage girl’s, and it is quavering, as if she has been crying. “I want to leave this foster home,” she tells t...

I hope everyone that jumped all over themselves to justify the cop killing a kid reads this.  Turns out girl in pink and several other adults were all going after two kids that already had a tough life. Society fails family, society places girl in system, system fails girl, system kills girl, system blames girl...what a shithole country.
    Before I say this let me remind you that I’m on your side, however, when placing blame you seem to miss the first step before society fails family, and it’s that family failed family. No one should be left blameless in these situations. 

I agree, we really need to look into the police officer's family history.  
    Instead of just coming back with a shitty remark why not take the time to explain how a child’s life is not affected by their upbringing?  I’ve posted it before, after speaking with many black individuals, they’re aware that it’s not just society that’s to blame.  That’s why BLM emphasizes community and family involvement to assist with the solutions. 
    "before society fails family, and it’s that family failed family"
    what a shitty remark might look like

see also: victim blaming
    You’re right...my apologies. And to your point, an officer can be and most likely is affected by their upbringing as well.  My point is BLM don’t just blame police, they look at the big picture, which includes all the concerns we discuss. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    more the story.

Sure let’s look into the history of the US and see what led to many of the problems of marginalized communities, I bet it’s a history of racism bad policies and laws, red lining, underinvestment etc. Lets not forget what leads to many people having a tough life, lack of opportunity and a failure of society.
    32191706 sy475
    Yes and is still being done today via other means.  Until we solve this we are going to continue with all the bullshit that it causes.  I’ll have to look into that book.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421
    thread topic ....

Ruling paves way for longer sentence in George Floyd's death
    By AMY FORLITI
    50 mins ago

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minnesota judge has ruled that there were aggravating factors in the death of George Floyd, paving the way for a longer sentence for Derek Chauvin, according to an order made public Wednesday.

In his ruling, Judge Peter Cahill found that Chauvin abused his authority as a police officer when he restrained Floyd last year, and that he treated Floyd with particular cruelty.

Still even with the aggravating factors, legal experts have said, Chauvin is unlikely to get more than 30 years when he is sentenced June 25.

Chauvin, who is white, was convicted in April of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for pressing his knee against Floyd’s neck for 9 1/2 minutes as the Black man said he couldn’t breathe and went motionless.

Even though he was found guilty of three counts, under Minnesota statutes he’ll only be sentenced on the most serious one — second-degree murder. Under Minnesota sentencing guidelines, he would have faced a presumptive sentence of 12 1/2 years on that count, and Cahill could have sentenced him to as little as 10 years and eight months or as much as 15 years and still stayed within the guideline range.

But prosecutors asked for what is known as an upward departure — arguing that Floyd was particularly vulnerable with his hands cuffed behind his back as he was face-down on the ground. They noted that Chauvin held his position even after Floyd became unresponsive and officers knew he had no pulse.

Prosecutors also said Chauvin treated Floyd with particular cruelty during the lengthy restraint, saying Chauvin inflicted gratuitous pain and caused psychological distress to Floyd and to bystanders. They also said Chauvin abused his position of authority as a police officer, committed his crime as part of a group of three or more people, and that he pinned Floyd down in the presence of children — including a 9-year-old girl who testified at trial that watching the restraint made her “sad and kind of mad.”

Cahill agreed with all but one of the prosecutors' arguments. He said prosecutors did not prove that Floyd was particularly vulnerable.

Defense attorney Eric Nelson disagreed with the state, saying that prosecutors did not prove that there were aggravating factors. He said Chauvin had legal authority to assist in Floyd's arrest and was authorized under law to use reasonable force. He also said Floyd was not particularly vulnerable, saying he was a large man who was struggling with officers.

Nelson also argued Floyd was not treated with particular cruelty, saying that there is no evidence that the assault perpetrated by Chauvin involved gratuitous pain that’s not usually associated with second-degree murder.

No matter what sentence Chauvin gets, in Minnesota it’s presumed that a defendant with good behavior will serve two-thirds of the penalty in prison and the rest on supervised release, commonly known as parole.

Chauvin has also been indicted on federal charges alleging he violated Floyd's civil rights, as well as the civil rights of a 14-year-old he restrained in a 2017 arrest. If convicted on those charges, which were unsealed Friday, a federal sentence would be served at the same time as Chauvin's state sentence. The three other former officers involved in Floyd's death were also charged with federal civil rights violations; they await trial in state court on aiding and abetting counts.

___

Find AP’s full coverage of the death of George Floyd at: https://apnews.com/hub/death-of-george-floyd

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2021
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    more the story.

32191706 sy475
    Yes and is still being done today via other means.  Until we solve this we are going to continue with all the bullshit that it causes.  I’ll have to look into that book.
    Yup.

My town's school district is supposedly better than the school district next town over. A year or so ago, a black student who is a child of divorce filled out her father's address on a form. Her father lives in the next town over, and her mother moved here for the "better" school district. Still, the student was booted out of the district's schools and now attends school where she feels welcome and accepted in the district where her father lives.

Our superintendent is a white supremacist who blames hip hop (i.e., Black folks) for white kids saying the N-word and scrawling the N-word on public/school property; of course, it has absolutely nothing to do with their old Massachusetts sundown town upbringing.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    more the story.

32191706 sy475
    Yup.

My town's school district is supposedly better than the school district next town over. A year or so ago, a black student who is a child of divorce filled out her father's address on a form. Her father lives in the next town over, and her mother moved here for the "better" school district. Still, the student was booted out of the district's schools and now attends school where she feels welcome and accepted in the district where her father lives.

Our superintendent is a white supremacist who blames hip hop (i.e., Black folks) for white kids saying the N-word and scrawling the N-word on public/school property; of course, it has absolutely nothing to do with their old Massachusetts sundown town upbringing.
    That would happen all the time at my school.  Kid uses their other relatives address to go to another school.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    more the story.

32191706 sy475
    Yup.

That would happen all the time at my school.  Kid uses their other relatives address to go to another school.
    This girl lives with both relatives. She just so happened to be staying with her dad (his custody turn) when she got the form, so she filled it out accordingly.

Her mom wanted to argue to keep her in the district because of its "betterness" (read: more whiteness), but the girl (a preteen) felt unwelcome after the incident and enrolled in a school the next town over where she felt more accepted as a fellow human being.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    more the story.

32191706 sy475
    Yup.

This girl lives with both relatives. She just so happened to be staying with her dad (his custody turn) when she got the form, so she filled it out accordingly.

Her mom wanted to argue to keep her in the district because of its "betterness" (read: more whiteness), but the girl (a preteen) felt unwelcome after the incident and enrolled in a school the next town over where she felt more accepted as a fellow human being.
    That happened here too.  Most of my school never saw a minority so they weren't used to that.  Having gone to school in Queens I didn't understand the fuss.
    Three cops trial moved out a year to March 2022.  George Floyd case.

Wow.  A year.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

Wow.  A year.
    That’s just for the charges brought by the state. The federal case against all three (and the one already convicted) will now take precedence. Those charges carry more severe penalties.

Wow.  A year.
    That’s just for the charges brought by the state. The federal case against all three (and the one already convicted) will now take precedence. Those charges carry more severe penalties.
    Hence why they moved it.  That makes much more sense.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Average percentage by which the rate of police killings in a U.S. city decreases one year after its first Black Lives Matter protest : 14June 2021 • Source: Echelon Insights (Alexandria, Va.)
    Five years after its first Black Lives Matter protest : 30June 2021 • Source: Echelon Insights (Alexandria, Va.)

Index | Harper's Magazine (harpers.org)
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Average percentage by which the rate of police killings in a U.S. city decreases one year after its first Black Lives Matter protest

: 14

Five years after its first Black Lives Matter protest

: 30
    really? wow. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Average percentage by which the rate of police killings in a U.S. city decreases one year after its first Black Lives Matter protest

According to this by 2045 the sperm count for everyone will be zero anyways so who gives a shit...
  • lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 339

That’s lovely, but there is also this.....Notice the common theme who controls the politics of these now shithole cities.....

That’s lovely, but there is also this.....Notice the common theme who controls the politics of these now shithole cities.....

think their numbers are off a little....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481

A simple graphic for simple................

https://newrepublic.com/article/162539/defund-the-police-crime-statistics

No mention of the ridiculous number of guns sold either. Gee, “responsible” gun owners couldn’t possibly have anything to do with rising homicide rates, now could they?

Boo!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

"hey, my governor/mayor/senator is a democrat; I'm gonna go out and do some murder!". 

makes perfect sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

Shit hole cities?
    Portland:  Home of Oregon Health and Sciences Hospital made my life possible again.  NOT A SHIT HOLE. 
    Oakland:  Home of the A's, beautiful Lake Merritt and Jack London Square.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.
    Los Angels:  Home of Tommy Stinson.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.  Home of the Dodgers... well, OK, but what can I say?  I'm a Giants fan.
    Chicago:  I don't know.  Maybe a shit hole? 
    Austin:  Come on!  Austin City Limits.  NOT A SHIT HOLE
    Minneapolis:  Home of Paul Westerberg, the Replacements, Prince, Soul Asylum.  Call that a shit hole?  No way.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.
    New York:  The greatest city in the world.  Gotta be nuts to call that a shit hole.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.
    Philadelphia:  Home of brotherly love.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    brianlux said:

Shit hole cities?
    Portland:  Home of Oregon Health and Sciences Hospital made my life possible again.  NOT A SHIT HOLE. 
    Oakland:  Home of the A's, beautiful Lake Merritt and Jack London Square.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.
    Los Angels:  Home of Tommy Stinson.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.  Home of the Dodgers... well, OK, but what can I say?  I'm a Giants fan.
    Minneapolis:  Home of Paul Westerberg, the Replacements, Prince, Soul Asylum.  Call that a shit hole?  No way.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.
    New York:  The greatest city in the world.  Gotta be nuts to call that a shit hole.  NOT A SHIT HOLE.
    I’m with you on this one except none of these are shit holes (her/his words straight out of the trump dictionary). Where did that map come from anyway? Not in the article posted - at least that I saw (numbers where posted)...oh yes that’s where it came from, thats the same map trump used to enlarge the hurricane area.
    How you trump lovers live with yourselves, look in the mirror (especially if you’re a woman or have a daughter) and believe all the bull is just so bewildering.  It’s like you’ve all crawled out from your creepy shit hole houses after decades and decades just waiting for your leader to emerge.  I mean come on, you trump supporters don’t really believe in him and what he stands for, right?  You’re all just fucking around with us. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:

Shit hole cities?
    I’m with you on this one except none of these are shit holes (her/his words straight out of the trump dictionary). Where did that map come from anyway? Not in the article posted - at least that I saw (numbers where posted)...oh yes that’s where it came from, thats the same map trump used to enlarge the hurricane area.
    How you trump lovers live with yourselves, look in the mirror (especially if you’re a woman or have a daughter) and believe all the bull is just so bewildering.  It’s like you’ve all crawled out from your creepy shit hole houses after decades and decades just waiting for your leader to emerge.  I mean come on, you trump supporters don’t really believe in him and what he stands for, right?  You’re all just fucking around with us. 
    You’re all just fucking around with us.
    Seriously!  Gotta be.  Nothing else makes sense. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

...lol - show your math...
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    brianlux said:

Shit hole cities?
    Seattle, NYC and LA are having some problems.  These cities do not look like what they used to...From 1985 to now I have been in these 3 areas/lived and i will say that they are definitely changing.
    I was in Austin in 2009, 2014.  Liked it there.  Traffic sucked but for the most part I enjoyed it.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hopefully LA gets rid of our loser of a DA. Of course crime will rise when there are little to no repercussions...and of course, some people just can’t control their fucking selves (zero to do with homelessness, mental illness, etc.).

Ma'Khia Bryant's time in foster care should be investigated, Beatty and Brown say

Eric Lagatta
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Congresswoman Joyce Beatty delivers remarks during the funeral services for MaKhia Bryant at the First Church of God in Columbus on Friday April 30 2021 Bryant 16 was shot and killed by a Columbus Police officer on April 20 during an altercation at her foster home on the Southeast Side

Three U.S. lawmakers, including two from Ohio, are requesting a federal investigation into 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant's time in foster care before she was shot and killed April 20 by a Columbus police officer.

Bryant was in a foster home and under the custody of Franklin County Children's Services when Columbus police officer Nicholas Reardon shot and killed the teenage girl as she swung a knife at another young woman. Reardon was among officers responding to a report of an attempted stabbing on Legion Lane on the city's Southeast Side.

Read More: Ma'Khia Bryant was helpful and kind, her friends and family say

Now, Congresswoman Joyce Beatty, D-Columbus, and U.S. Senators Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, and Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, are urging the U.S. Department of Health and Human ServicesAdministration for Children and Families to assist Franklin County Children's Services as it reviews the details of Bryant's case.

'I want to see my future’:What the shooting of Ma'Khia Bryant reveals about Black girlhood

In a letter addressed to Acting Assistant Secretary JooYeun Chang of the Administration for Children and Families and Acting Director Robinsue Frohboese in the Office for Civil Rights — both divisions of HHS — Brown, Beatty and Wyden are also requesting that the Office for Civil Rights launch an independent investigation into events leading to Bryant's death.

Full letter:Brown, Beatty: 'Ma’Khia should be alive today.' Their letter calling for federal investigation into events leading to Ma'Khia Bryant death

The three lawmakers said they are making the request on behalf of Bryant's biological parents, Paula Bryant and Myron Hammonds.

MaKhia Bryants mother Paula Bryant speaks during a press conference outside Columbus City Hall on Wednesday April 28 2021 Attorney Michelle Martin right has been hired to represent the family of MaKhia Bryant the 16-year-old girl shot and killed by a Columbus police officer April 20 during an incident outside her foster home

“The federal government has an obligation to protect the civil rights of all individuals, and especially those children, young people, and parents involved in federally-funded child welfare systems,” according to a joint statement from the lawmakers. “When a child dies in foster care, the system has failed. It failed Ma’Khia Bryant, who lived in her foster family home for about two months before a police officer shot and killed her in front of that home.

"Ma’Khia should be alive today."

Ma'Khia Bryant death: Former foster-care kids say youth ombudsman in Ohio could make a difference

Bryant's family had previously hired Columbus attorney Michelle Martin, who in late-April indicated she would request such an HHS investigation herself. As she blamed the girl's death on "a bureaucracy ill-equipped to protect" children "in their time of greatest uncertainty and need," Martin further said she would request that the U.S. Department of Justice investigate the shooting — a demand also made by Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther and City Attorney Zach Klein.

In the meantime, the shooting is being investigated by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and eventually will be presented to a Franklin County grand jury, which is routine procedure for all fatal uses of force by law-enforcement officers in the county. 

Read More: Ma'Khia Bryant family attorney to investigate death, says 'bureaucracy ill-equipped to protect'

Martin confirmed to the Dispatch on Tuesday that she made a formal request to HHS for an investigation in early May.

Bryant spent two years moving between at least five different foster care homes, according to the three lawmakers.

The Dispatch had previously obtained documents revealing that in March 2018, Ma'Khia Bryant, a younger sister and two brothers (all juveniles) were placed in emergency custody of Franklin County Children's Services. She and her three siblings started out placed with a grandmother, Jeanene Hammonds, but after about 16 months, they were removed from her care and placed in a foster home — in part, state officials said, because Hammonds had lost her housing. 

In January 2020, the agency filed a motion seeking permanent custody of the girls, a request that was still pending with the court at the time of Bryant’s death, according to past Dispatch coverage.

The Dispatch has requested comment from a spokeswoman with Franklin County Children's Services.

Read More: Ma'Khia Bryant's death, court records, raise questions about family, system's custody

In the letter sent to the federal agencies, the lawmakers posit that "the foster care system is broken" and refer to a nationwide shortage of foster parents.

The lawmakers cite data showing that Ohio children are placed in the foster care system at a rate 10 percent higher than the national average. Research also shows that Ohio lags other states in the financial support provided to a child in state custody who is placed with a kinship caregiver as opposed to a child placed in a licensed foster care setting.

The state doesn’t award equal pay to “kinship caregivers,” the official term for relatives who take in children, in apparent defiance of a 2017 order from the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Ohio pays its roughly 8,000 licensed foster parents anywhere from $300 to $6,000 a month per child, with additional funds paid for children with special needs. Kinship caregivers, however, are paid $310 a month per child for a period of only six to nine months, the Dispatch has previously reported. 

Read More: Ma'Khia Bryant's family among those paid less than state's foster parents to take in kids

Additionally, the lawmakers referred to studies showing that young Black Americans are more likely to die in police shooting than young white Americans.

"These inequities played out in Ma’Khia’s life and are all too familiar for children and young people in the foster care system, particularly Black and brown children who are overrepresented in the child welfare system," according to the joint statement.

The lawmakers specifically requested that the Office for Civil Rights examine whether Ohio and the Franklin County Children's Services complied with federal requirements for foster care placement and removal, home standards, children's civil rights protections and safety risk assessments.

"One child’s death is one too many, and we cannot let these children slip through the cracks," the letter read. "I (we) support the request of Paula Bryant and Myron Hammonds to initiate an investigation into the circumstances leading up to Ma’Khia’s death so that they may receive the clarity they deserve on the death of their daughter."

elagatta@dispatch.com

@EricLagatta

EXPLAINER: Chauvin's lawyer asks to probe alleged jury bias
    By AMY FORLITI
    10 Jun 2021

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The defense attorney for the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in the death of George Floyd is seeking not only a new trial but also a hearing to “impeach the verdict" by investigating potential juror misconduct.

Eric Nelson's request for a new trial for Derek Chauvin is fairly routine, but the request to investigate the jury is not. Prosecutors have until Wednesday to submit written arguments in response to Nelson’s requests. It's not clear when the judge will rule.

Here’s a look at some of the issues Nelson raised.

NEW TRIAL REQUEST

Chauvin was convicted in April of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter in the May 25, 2020, death of Floyd, a Black man who was pinned to the ground for about 9 ½ minutes as he said he couldn’t breathe. Chauvin will be sentenced June 25.

A Minnesota judge has found aggravating factors in the death of George Floyd. The ruling paves the way for the possibility of a longer sentence for former Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin. (May 12)

Nelson’s request for a new trial covers everything from the extensive publicity of the case to allegations of prosecutorial misconduct, arguing the state “belittled” Nelson's defense by calling his arguments “stories.”

He takes issue with the fact that records weren't made of sidebar discussions between attorneys and the judge, and he says the court abused its discretion by not allowing a man who was with Floyd on the day he died to testify. He also takes issue with the addition of a third-degree murder charge and with the state's cumulative evidence about the use of force.

Nelson alleges all of these factors deprived Chauvin of his right to a fair trial.

“It’s almost as if Eric is sort of repackaging all of the major objections he made throughout the trial into one brief and putting them back in front of (Judge Peter) Cahill one more time and asking him to reconsider,” said Brock Hunter, a Minneapolis defense attorney who has followed the case.

It's unlikely a new trial will be granted. Since Cahill already ruled on most of these issues, Hunter and other experts said he probably won't overturn himself. Still, experts say, Nelson has to try. He also has to present these issues in the trial court, if he wants to raise them on appeal.

“He’s zealously representing his client, as we are ethically bound to do,” Hunter said.

PRETRIAL PUBLICITY

Nelson said intense publicity — both before the trial and due to events during it — tainted the jury pool and prejudiced the jury against his client.

There were reports in February that Chauvin had been prepared to plead guilty to third-degree murder, an announcement during jury selection that Minneapolis reached a $27 million settlement with Floyd’s family, and the fatal shooting of Daunte Wright by a police officer in nearby Brooklyn Center, which happened during Chauvin’s trial and sparked days of protests.

Nelson said Cahill abused his discretion when he denied earlier requests to move the trial out of Hennepin County, postpone the trial and sequester the jury.

Ryan Pacyga, another Minneapolis defense attorney following the case, called the developments that came up during Chauvin’s trial a “perfect storm” and said the cumulative impact is worth noting. He said Nelson’s strongest argument may be that the case should have been delayed.

“If I were to think about any of those things happening in a case where I was defending somebody, I would be going crazy and have serious concerns about the impact -- either perceived or real -- on a fair trial,” Pacyga said.

REQUEST TO IMPEACH THE VERDICT

The term “impeach” in this context means to call into question the integrity or validity of a jury’s verdict.

Under Minnesota’s Rules of Criminal Procedure, a defendant can ask the court for a hearing to investigate possible juror misconduct. The hearing, known as a Schwartz hearing, gets its name from a 1960 Minnesota Supreme Court case that set up a procedure for examining jurors when their impartiality is questioned.

The case, Schwartz v. Minneapolis Suburban Bus Co., stemmed from an automobile accident. One of the jurors said during jury questioning that he could be fair and impartial, without disclosing that his daughter had been in an accident. According to text of the ruling published on casetext.com, there was dispute about whether he was asked a question about that during jury selection.

After the trial, an investigator for the defendant bus company interviewed the juror and learned about the accident; the juror told the investigator it influenced him to somewhat favor the plaintiffs.

To avoid having attorneys or investigators “harass” jurors by interrogating them, the Minnesota Supreme Court said if a juror’s untruthful answers to questions could prevent someone from getting a fair trial, it’s best to bring the matter before the trial judge. The juror may be summoned to court to answer questions.

ARE SCHWARTZ HEARINGS COMMON?

No. Pacyga said that's mainly because the judge and attorneys don’t usually know about issues like this unless they're disclosed somehow. He said the defense has a high bar to overcome to get a Schwartz hearing, and prevailing in one is even tougher.

In Chauvin's case, Nelson alleges an alternate juror, who did not deliberate, made public comments after the trial indicating she felt pressured to render a guilty verdict.

He also alleged that a juror who did deliberate, Brandon Mitchell, didn't follow jury instructions and was not candid during jury selection because he didn't mention his participation in an Aug. 28 march in Washington, D.C., to honor Martin Luther King Jr. Nelson also alleged Mitchell made comments indicating he based his verdict on outside influence.

Hunter said he expects the state will say Mitchell wasn't untruthful and that the march wasn't specifically about police brutality. Hunter noted Mitchell said during jury selection that he supported the Black Lives Matter concept.

“He wasn’t really trying to be evasive or hide the ball about where his viewpoints were during jury selection,” Hunter said.

___

Find AP’s full coverage of the death of George Floyd at: https://apnews.com/hub/death-of-george-floyd

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Sentencing day?  How many years does the cop get?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited June 2021
    Sentencing day?  How many years does the cop get?
    Prosecutors are asking for 30 years. I bet it'll be in the 20-25 year range...and there will people that'll probably get very pissed about that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Judge denied his request for a new trial. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited June 2021
    Sentence is in: 270 months. 

Less than the 360 prosecutors requested, but still more than the sentencing guideline suggest for the offense (as I understand it). 
This discussion has been closed.