Sea. Hear. Now Festival 2020 Update

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    on2legs said:
    CBS News reported this morning 106 million people have been vaccinated to date nationwide which is 40% of the adult population.  
    Which means we’re 60-70% of the way there considering only about 70% of people will take it

With other larger festivals like Bonnaroo basically guaranteed to happen this fall, I find it almost impossible that This and Ohana will not happen 

If you find it almost impossible that This and Ohana will not happen, would you like to give me odds?
    I will be generous and say 10 to 1 that it will not happen.
    If you think it is almost impossible that is free money for you.

Bet you a hundo that one of them does not happen.  $1,000 to me if one cancels.
    I think they both do.  20 to 1 on that for another c note?
    :lol:

I hope they both go. 
    I could see a reality where I attend both and have a great time. 
    However, knowing NJ and CA very well, as the place I live now and the place I lived for the 20+ years prior, I think that there is a good shot they both cancel.

Haha, Very much same. Definitely want it to happen, but don't see it (yet). Though! More data coming out and I feel better than I did a month ago.

Yeah, the numbers don't add up - but having confusing communication from what are meant to be reputable sources is nothing new, these days. 
    If there are 3-4MM people getting shots every day that is certainly a good thing.  Hope it continues, hope people get their second shots, and continue to take basic precautions until we have a better understanding of what this all means....

And the other part of it is there's a whole lot of runway right now, too. The rate of people getting vaxed isn't exponential and will continue to follow this great increase. As we get to more and more people with vax's you're going to start to plateau as it gets to the point that it'll get harder and harder to get enough people vaccinated - whether because of age, color, technologically illiterate (age), under-served communities, politics (ignorant, brain washed sheep), etc. etc.

All we can keep doing is keep collecting more data.....and passively aggressively coerce our dumb friends to just get the fucking shot.
    I’m optimistic that science will come out that shows each vaccinated person is a firewall in the chain in addition to being protected themselves.  That will be the magic that we need for this thing to fade away.

This is best case scenario and would indeed be a tremendous thing.
    U/f, some people already think this is the case.

Example -- our arborist shows up on our porch today and rings the bell for a set meeting.
    He is not wearing a mask, although when he was here in the fall he was...and told me his neighbor died from C19.
    I asked him to please put on a mask and he said "Absolutely, I will grab one from my truck.  I'm fully vaccinated now."

So, he is polite and went and put one on, but because he knows he is safe he assumes we are safe from him.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,764
    Exactly. A lot of people who don't believe in magic apparently do in this case. Snap your fingers, poof, back to normal.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,417
    on2legs said:
    CBS News reported this morning 106 million people have been vaccinated to date nationwide which is 40% of the adult population.  
    Which means we’re 60-70% of the way there considering only about 70% of people will take it

With other larger festivals like Bonnaroo basically guaranteed to happen this fall, I find it almost impossible that This and Ohana will not happen 

If you find it almost impossible that This and Ohana will not happen, would you like to give me odds?

I hope they both go. 
    However, knowing NJ and CA very well, as the place I live now and the place I lived for the 20+ years prior, I think that there is a good shot they both cancel.

Haha, Very much same. Definitely want it to happen, but don't see it (yet). Though! More data coming out and I feel better than I did a month ago.

Yeah, the numbers don't add up - but having confusing communication from what are meant to be reputable sources is nothing new, these days. 
    If there are 3-4MM people getting shots every day that is certainly a good thing.  Hope it continues, hope people get their second shots, and continue to take basic precautions until we have a better understanding of what this all means....

CBS reported this morning that 4 million people were vaccinated on this past Friday... which is a single day high.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,727
    edited April 2021
    At this rate 85% of the US population will have be fully vaccinated if they choose to by Sep 6th. With numbers like the last couple of days coming in of 4 million people being vaccinated that date will only shrink closer to now. On top of that there is a point this summer where everyone that wants the vaccine will have gotten both shots. I am thinking early or mid July will be that timeline. Fall is very doable for outdoor festivals in the US. 

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,156
    on2legs said:

I hope they both go. 

And the other part of it is there's a whole lot of runway right now, too. The rate of people getting vaxed isn't exponential and will continue to follow this great increase. As we get to more and more people with vax's you're going to start to plateau as it gets to the point that it'll get harder and harder to get enough people vaccinated - whether because of age, color, technologically illiterate (age), under-served communities, politics (ignorant, brain washed sheep), etc. etc.

All we can keep doing is keep collecting more data.....and passively aggressively coerce our dumb friends to just get the fucking shot.
    I’m optimistic that science will come out that shows each vaccinated person is a firewall in the chain in addition to being protected themselves.  That will be the magic that we need for this thing to fade away.

Example -- our arborist shows up on our porch today and rings the bell for a set meeting.
    He is not wearing a mask, although when he was here in the fall he was...and told me his neighbor died from C19.
    I asked him to please put on a mask and he said "Absolutely, I will grab one from my truck.  I'm fully vaccinated now."

So, he is polite and went and put one on, but because he knows he is safe he assumes we are safe from him.

He is probably right, but the science isn’t out yet to prove it.  So yes, masks for the vaccinated too until there is data.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Has anyone been to this festival before? Was it fun? Trying to justify buying and pair plus one night hotel (prob $600 total min?) as this may be the first show back for the band.

Also do the pumpkins suck now or did those complaining always dislike them? I enjoy their early stuff. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Has anyone been to this festival before? Was it fun? Trying to justify buying and pair plus one night hotel (prob $600 total min?) as this may be the first show back for the band.

Also do the pumpkins suck now or did those complaining always dislike them? I enjoy their early stuff. 
    I saw the Pumpkins a couple years ago on their anniversary tour.  They sounded awesome and I’m just a casual fan.   I don’t get too deep into all the Billy Corgan drama so I think it allows me to appreciate them more than other fans. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• matt84matt84 Posts: 588
    I think this festival and Ohana have a very good shot at going ahead in September simply because they are outside in the open air. There is much less risk involved. 

I think any indoor shows that are due to go ahead in the US in September will likely be called off. I think indoor shows are still at least a year away from happening.
    Check out the Blue Jays-Rangers game right now - not the game but the crowd - almost 40k.  They are going to 25% tomorrow, but full house today.  Unreal!
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 746

The ads for this tour basically said "We promise not to play anything that Billy Corgan did after 2000." The one I saw literally listed the albums they would play songs from. 
    If the festival happens I hope they add to the bill for the non-PJ night, whether it’s an EV solo set, a new act to be announced, or even a surprise on the night of.  I would seriously consider saving the hotel night and wasting the non-PJ night of the ticket based on the current lineup, with all due respect to the performers.  

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    on2legs said:

I hope they both go. 

He is probably right, but the science isn’t out yet to prove it.  So yes, masks for the vaccinated too until there is data.  
    Actually, speaking as someone who was in the ER 3 weeks ago for symptoms (not specifically Covid symptoms but common flu/cold symptoms with 1 symptom that really worried me), they told me over and over that even though my partner (who is a school teacher teaching in person school) was fully vaccinated since they re-opened his school, NONE of the vaccines are 100% yet so it IS possible for a vaccinated person to get Covid, be asymptomatic, and transmit it to someone else.

In my case, thank goodness all 3 Covid tests I had over 3 days were negative.  Also ruled out the other most scary possibilities for my main concerning symptom.  In the end they said the most likely scenario is that my partner caught a DIFFERENT virus from being in a small office with kids for sometimes hours at a time, even though masked the kids (who are usually behaviorally-challenged) don't always have them on consistently, but just being in that situation he easily could have contracted a different flu virus, not been symptomatic himself or nothing he noted out loud, and then given it to me.

SO... It's still best to treat everyone like a possible threat, but if you are out and about and wearing a good-fitting mask, or double mask, and vaccinated, you really should be ok.  And you're keeping others ok too.

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,624
    https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1379186625914105856?s=21

If this does not become a “super spreader” event, how can anyone say we won’t have concerts outdoors 5 months from now with vaccinations in full force
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    "Six months after getting a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine as part of a 46,000-person clinical trial, volunteers remained more than 90% protected against symptomatic COVID-19 and even better protected against severe disease, a new company study found."

These are great numbers again and hope they hold up for the next 6 months. 

2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    Ohio has removed all capacity limits and restrictions for outdoor events today
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,762
    One thing is for sure, the information around the science in the last year has not been really pristine no matter who is in charge.  Both major sides have to stop politicizing this shit as it only screws up the public trust.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    PB11041 said:
    One thing is for sure, the information around the science in the last year has not been really pristine no matter who is in charge.  Both major sides have to stop politicizing this shit as it only screws up the public trust.
    There are major... MAJOR differences in how each "side" has handled: publicizing the science; supporting (or working against) the science, and who objects to common sense mandates.  There have been no "superspreader events" except at GOP gatherings.

I hear ya on the science evolving and sometimes being very confusing, but it's the 1st global deadly pandemic of our lifetimes so it's not like the scientists are being political.

But to say the science info has been muddy no matter who is in charge... what is muddy now since the change in administrations?
    edited April 2021
    PB11041 said:
    Unfortunately the science is trial and error and all they can do is give us the best that they have at any point.

That being said the reopening of stadiums and the like I’m sure has its own lobbying and pressure.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • I think we are going to be seeing PJ at SHN this fall. Stone did an interview yesterday and he spoke about touring in the fall and winter. See the link.
    https://937theriver.iheart.com/content/2021-04-07-pearl-jam-guitarist-stone-gossard-says-theres-no-plans-for-new-album/
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 490
    I think we are going to be seeing PJ at SHN this fall. Stone did an interview yesterday and he spoke about touring in the fall and winter. See the link.
    https://937theriver.iheart.com/content/2021-04-07-pearl-jam-guitarist-stone-gossard-says-theres-no-plans-for-new-album/
    Of course, Stone’s exact quote about touring in the fall begins and ends with him saying that is what he hopes will happen, not that it is something that he currently knows will happen. 

Stone: “my hope is that we'll start playing some shows in the fall or early winter. I don't know what they're gonna be or when they're gonna be, but that's my hope.”
    edited April 2021
    Luckytwn1 said:
    I think we are going to be seeing PJ at SHN this fall. Stone did an interview yesterday and he spoke about touring in the fall and winter. See the link.
    Of course, Stone’s exact quote about touring in the fall begins and ends with him saying that is what he hopes will happen, not that it is something that he currently knows will happen. 

Stone: “my hope is that we'll start playing some shows in the fall or early winter. I don't know what they're gonna be or when they're gonna be, but that's my hope.”
    Of course he does not know its going to happen. Its up to the governments and health officials to make that call. We all know this by now. Pearl Jam does not decide if their festival goes on. They only decide if it does not ahead of when the officials deem it safe or not. 

The fact that he is hopeful that they are allowed to play the fests in the fall means something to me if he is speaking honestly. It means that they have not written the whole year off yet which is great news.
    Post edited by PJNB on
    Luckytwn1 said:

I get your point but you could apply that to every single future event.  We all hope to be here tomorrow but no one actually knows if it will happen.  At the very least, it indicates that the band has not dismissed out of hand playing in the fall. Which is good news.  

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,764
    Not even the most telling part of that article (bold text emphasis mine):

"In November 2020, Gossard also said that he’d like Pearl Jam to record a project that "really shocks people." "There's some new territory [on Gigaton], and I think it bodes well for whatever comes next," he told Kerrang!. "I think we're still scratching the surface in terms of what really could be significantly different-sounding songs. I guess I would probably compare [what I'm thinking of] to an 'OK Computer'/'Kid A' moment, thinking about Radiohead's transformation and the journey that they went on… It's not going to be 'OK Computer', obviously, but a moment where we stumble onto something that is significantly different. That prospect always intrigues me. I'd like to make another record that really shocks people — that makes them go, 'Wow, that's unexpected.'""

Stick this into my veins.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,936

"In November 2020, Gossard also said that he’d like Pearl Jam to record a project that "really shocks people." "There's some new territory [on Gigaton], and I think it bodes well for whatever comes next," he told Kerrang!. "I think we're still scratching the surface in terms of what really could be significantly different-sounding songs. I guess I would probably compare [what I'm thinking of] to an 'OK Computer'/'Kid A' moment, thinking about Radiohead's transformation and the journey that they went on… It's not going to be 'OK Computer', obviously, but a moment where we stumble onto something that is significantly different. That prospect always intrigues me. I'd like to make another record that really shocks people — that makes them go, 'Wow, that's unexpected.'""

I really hope he’s referring to the Seven o’clock, Alright, back half of retrograde sound. Would love an album full of that!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam

Sick!! This band ain’t done anytime soon!! 
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 490
    on2legs said:
    Luckytwn1 said:

I get your point but you could apply that to every single future event.  We all hope to be here tomorrow but no one actually knows if it will happen.  At the very least, it indicates that the band has not dismissed out of hand playing in the fall. Which is good news.  
    No, it doesn’t apply to every future event under normal circumstances. That’s ridiculous. He said it specifically because we’re in a pandemic. If Pearl Jam has scheduled tour dates and a band member is talking about those upcoming dates they don’t say “gee, I hope we can play them.” They say “we’re playing dates in the fall.” 

I’m also very hopeful they can play in the fall but words have meaning and what Stone said is clear. 
    Luckytwn1 said:
    on2legs said:
    Luckytwn1 said:

No, it doesn’t apply to every future event under normal circumstances. That’s ridiculous. He said it specifically because we’re in a pandemic. If Pearl Jam has scheduled tour dates and a band member is talking about those upcoming dates they don’t say “gee, I hope we can play them.” They say “we’re playing dates in the fall.” 

I’m also very hopeful they can play in the fall but words have meaning and what Stone said is clear. 
    It actually does apply to every future
    event.  You just don’t normally see it that way.  The pandemic has made us view the future more cautiously and with an appreciation for how little control we have over future events.  But in reality it’s always been like that.