Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    tish said:
    I saw a dead deer (road kill) on way to the skihill this morning.

Sadly, in many places, there are a lot of different deer predictors. 
    Among others:
    Baracuda
    Beetle
    Bronco
    Cobra
    Colt
    Cougar
    Eagle
    Hornet
    Jaguar
    Marlin
    Mustang
    Rabbit
    Stingray
    Viper
    Wildcat

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    edited December 2020
    Hunters, too!

Saw an eagle circling at the hill today too.

First Nations say they're closest to the heavens, best suited to carry up your prayers.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    tish said:
    Hunters, too!

Saw an eagle circling at the hill today too.

First Nations say they're closest to the heavens, best suited to carry up your prayers.

Eagles are awesome!  We rarely see them down here- golden eagles once in a long while and almost never bald eagles.  I lived near Sequim, Washington for a few years and saw bald eagles out by the straight now and then.  My step daughter lives in Ketchikan, Alaska and has sent photos with as many as a dozen or more bald eagles hanging out together.  Quite amazing to see! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

On our walk today, we saw this snag with at least 9, perhaps 10 Acorn Woodpeckers.  The don't all show here, but I did count 9 with possible one on the other side.  I've never seen this particular bird flock like this!

Good job getting your ass up and out. Thanks for the picture. Reminds me of a Woody tattoo on our Speedy dude.
    tish said:
    Good job getting your ass up and out. Thanks for the picture. Reminds me of a Woody tattoo on our Speedy dude.

Yeah, I've been getting out and walking almost every day for about three weeks now.  Gonna try to keep it up!

LOL about the Speedy dude's Woody tattoo.

We knew something interesting was up ahead on the walking trail before we could see what it was.  These guys were flitting about like mad on this big snag and chatting it up big-time.  Quite a racket they were making! 

• We have green woodpeckers here. My favourite to look at. Beautiful birds
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    We saw our biggest flock of turkeys yet on our walk- I counted 56 and there may have even been a few more.  It's hard to see that many here because the photo is not zoomed in well but they were all over this field including some if front of the trees on the far side:

Thanks BBoy, I love seeing you getting out and amongst the turkeys!
    tish said:
    Thanks BBoy, I love seeing you getting out and amongst the turkeys!

I like hangin' with my kind!  :smiley: 

• I recently took up "birding".  I haven't been taking too many pics but I might change that so I can post on here.

Anyone else into birds, lol?!?
    I recently took up "birding".  I haven't been taking too many pics but I might change that so I can post on here.

I've been a casual "birder" since the late 80's but I'm not nearly as into to it as the woman who got me started back then (Ex-wife but still friends), or another few friends who are really into it. 

We have the Sibley's bird guide as well as a Peterson's and a few others that focus on Sierra Mountain and California birds but mainly I use the National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America for identifying, the book my ex got me started using.  In the back of the book is an index/ check list for keeping track of birds spotted.  My "life list" (birds I have identified) is a modest 162 species.  I'd have to travel more broadly to add many to that list, but it's a decent list.

Anyway, yeah, lots of fun.  Let us know how it progresses for you!

• brianlux said:
    I recently took up "birding".  I haven't been taking too many pics but I might change that so I can post on here.

I've been a casual "birder" since the late 80's but I'm not nearly as into to it as the woman who got me started back then (Ex-wife but still friends), or another few friends who are really into it. 

We have the Sibley's bird guide as well as a Peterson's and a few others that focus on Sierra Mountain and California birds but mainly I use the National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America for identifying, the book my ex got me started using.  In the back of the book is an index/ check list for keeping track of birds spotted.  My "life list" (birds I have identified) is a modest 162 species.  I'd have to travel more broadly to add many to that list, but it's a decent list.

Anyway, yeah, lots of fun.  Let us know how it progresses for you!
    I have an app for my phone, Merlin Bird ID.  It's great.  Really helps w identifying the birds.  I'm only at 14 right now but I haven't bothered to do the common birds like pigeons and seagulls yet.

One of the cooler birds I have seen so far is called a Hooded Merganser.  Look that one up, lol!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I took ornithology as a summer college course for what I thought would be an easy A to knock out my science requirement. It was the absolute worst summer of my life. Every morning up at 4 to take a trip to some swampy ass woods with some creepy professor. We also had to stuff a dead bird.

I wound up writing a horror screenplay about it for catharsis.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I took ornithology as a summer college course for what I thought would be an easy A to knock out my science requirement. It was the absolute worst summer of my life. Every morning up at 4 to take a trip to some swampy ass woods with some creepy professor. We also had to stuff a dead bird.

I wound up writing a horror screenplay about it for catharsis.

Bummer!
    I took advance field biology in college in my senior year and it was a really tough course.  The prof was an ornithologist- a damn good one who was published and well respected but he was also a bit crazy.  I always attributed that to his having spent many years in the lab working with chemicals used in bird taxidermy.  But he really know his stuff, that's for sure.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    edited March 2021
    This blue tongue lizard has started hanging out in our garden. He appears from under the fence most days and just sits there, working on his tan!

The next-door neighbour’s cat keeps taking swipes at it, but this guy isn’t taking any shit from her!

Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    goldrush said:
    This blue tongue lizard has started hanging out in our garden. He appears from under the fence most days and just sits there, working on his tan!

The next-door neighbour’s cat keeps taking swipes at it, but it his guy isn’t taking any shit from her!

This reminds me of the alligator lizards we used to catch in socal.  Very Cool.
    goldrush said:

The next-door neighbour’s cat keeps taking swipes at it, but it his guy isn’t taking any shit from her!

Cool!  I love lizards!

mickeyrat said:

Beauties! 

I wish I had photos, but two great ones yesterday.  First, in the AM we heard first then saw a huge flock of Sand Hill Cranes way up high.  The sound they make as a flock is gorgeous!

Then later, on out walk, we saw a huge flock of wild turkeys in a field.  I counted 44! 

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    ^^heard those once before, sand hill cranes. Way up high. Heard them before I saw them. Very unique gurgling sound if I remember correctly. Nature is amazing and thankful for being able to tune into it all.

For me it pulls me back to what's important.

^ awwww SweetLou
    Loujoe said:

Mmmmm! Hors d'oeuvres!

I’ll add this in the Bird thread too. Out at silver point each club here on Long Island there was a Snowy Owl sighting. One seems to come around every year and I’ve made two attempts to find it but came up short. 
    I went out yesterday and found a she. Female snowy owl. A rare birding treat. 
    ^Fantastic bird to see! Think of the distance they travel. Thrilled for you!!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    Thats amazing Chris 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Loujoe said:
    ^Fantastic bird to see! Think of the distance they travel. Thrilled for you!!
    Thats amazing Chris 
    I was shocked and very excited to find her.  I called my GF and whispered to her as I saw it hoping that she wouldn't be spooked even though I was pretty far, lol.

Thanks you two!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Loujoe said:

Adorable!

I’ll add this in the Bird thread too. Out at silver point each club here on Long Island there was a Snowy Owl sighting. One seems to come around every year and I’ve made two attempts to find it but came up short. 
    I went out yesterday and found a she. Female snowy owl. A rare birding treat. 
    Awesome!  I’m thrilled for you.  Great find.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop