Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Edved82 said:
    Just ordered the "Way Down in the Rust Bucket" 4LP set. Super excited to receive that. It's going to be an epic listen! Neil is going to break my bank account with all this stuff he's releasing.
    is the "Way Down in the Rust Bucket" vinyl still coming out next week Friday or did it get pushed?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    LukinFan said:
    Edved82 said:
    Just ordered the "Way Down in the Rust Bucket" 4LP set. Super excited to receive that. It's going to be an epic listen! Neil is going to break my bank account with all this stuff he's releasing.
    is the "Way Down in the Rust Bucket" vinyl still coming out next week Friday or did it get pushed?
    Looks like it's still slated for next Friday.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    LukinFan said:
    Edved82 said:

I got a confirmation email from the retailer (in Ireland) that it was due to be shipped on 26th. Hoping that it doesn't get delayed! Really excited for this set.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Gonna to a race and buy abunch of Neil newly released vinyl this weekend... Out of my vinyl-buying manic phase... and completed my Peter LeMarc studio album collection... but I'll get some Neil vinyl.

This might be my favorite Neil-song. Still remember him opening the Stockholm show in 2001 with it:
    https://youtu.be/vOCZDeB-JuU
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Picked up both the "Earth" and "Return to Greendale" live LPs today. I just can't stop buying Neil stuff, apparently!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Mirrorball! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Got my copy of The Times today. 

Lofi is a bit of an overstatement, but it’s not studio quality. Sounds more like a tiny desk concert quality.

the pressing is great.

also got a used copy of Broken Arrow. Well taken care of. Might as well be Like New. 
    Unplugged, Weld and Road Rock is all I am missing collection wise. 
  • clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 320
    I want Road Rocks soooo bad.
    Rust Bucket is streaming at NYA
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Rust Bucket is streaming at NYA
    Sweet! I knowing what I’m playing in work tomorrow 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited February 2021
    Neil has now announced that ORS Box Set #6 is due on November 26th, with Box Set #7 due next summer.

This follows on from the August 6th date for Box Set #5, and (presumably) May 28th for Box Set #4. 

Mirror Ball is between SWA and Broken Arrow so that should mean it will be in Box 6 this year (with Unplugged too!)

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    I'm really happy he decided to go full gear in getting the Archive out there. Probably wants to see the reaction and gt the accolades while he's still around.

I'm really happy he decided to go full gear in getting the Archive out there. Probably wants to see the reaction and gt the accolades while he's still around.

Lockdown seems to have kept Neil busy!

(Tim Rogers)
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    I am have only recently appreciated Neil Young's work. Harvest Moon is what got me revisiting him. Any recommendations for live records that contain material off of that record or tour? Preferably not records that are hundreds of dollars.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2021
    I am have only recently appreciated Neil Young's work. Harvest Moon is what got me revisiting him. Any recommendations for live records that contain material off of that record or tour? Preferably not records that are hundreds of dollars.
    The live compilation "Dreamin man" is just the Harvest Moon songs. The vinyl is expensive, but it's up on spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Ox6NKTz7QC4lrgxkszXJ3?si=rlAxD8RTQWCDC2E3TShcUA
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    The live compilation "Dreamin man" is just the Harvest Moon songs. The vinyl is expensive, but it's up on spotify:

I saw that. A bit more than I'm willing to spend. Mostly looking for vinyl to spin. Thanks.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367

I saw that. A bit more than I'm willing to spend. Mostly looking for vinyl to spin. Thanks.
    I don’t think you’re going to find Harvest Moon-era live vinyl options easily (but definitely check out Dreamin Man as recommended, and Unplugged on Spotify). 

If you are lookin for other vinyl options to expand your Neil journey, I always recommend picking up a used copy of Decade. For live stuff, check out ‘Songs for Judy’ - that record is chock-full of awesome songs, affordable on vinyl, and doesn’t get a lot of recognition for how great a set it is. Rust Never Sleeps another one that’s easy to find.

Again, those aren’t specific to Harvest Moon, just good ol’ live Neil.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Excited to crank way down in the rust bucket after work today. A little sad that my box hasn’t arrived and I will have to listen to the download.  I just really wish the download had Cowgirl, seems silly that it wasn’t included on the download, I understand not making the CD or the LP.  Anyways who else is gonna be cranking the rust bucket this weekend?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    I got my box yesterday morning. 

I've never seen individual records in a box also plastic wrapped. Its a great show. 

Wish I could buy a digital video DL of the show. No need for another disc. 

• clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 320
    This sounds fantastic. So damn good.
    The guys at Thrasher’s Wheat have attempted to put together an updated list of everything in the pipeline...

•  ‘THE TIMES’ vinyl release on Feb. 19th 
    •  ‘Way Down in the Rust Bucket’ - film and double album ofNeil Young & Crazy Horse concert on November 11, 1990 at The Catalyst in Santa Cruz, California.  Release date:  February 26 2021
    • Neil Young's Archives Vol #2 - re-release/2nd printing. Release date: 3/5/2021   
      • Disc 1 (1972-1973) Everybody’s Alone
      • Disc 2 (1973) Tuscaloosa
      • Disc 3 (1973) Tonight’s the Night
      • Disc 4 (1973) Roxy: Tonight’s the Night Live
      • Disc 5 (1974) Walk On
      • Disc 6 (1974) The Old Homestead
      • Disc 7 (1974) Homegrown
      • Disc 8 (1975) Dume
      • Disc 9 (1976) Look Out for My Love
      • Disc 10 (1976) Odeon Budokan
    • "Young Shakespeare" - unreleased album and film titled from January 1971 at the Shakespeare Theater in Stratford, Connecticut. RELEASE DATE: March 26th 
    • 6 ‘Official Bootleg’ releases - scheduled for release in April 2021.  Titles include:
      • Carnegie Hall Dec 4, 1970 - 1st show - Release date now: MAY 7, 2021
      • Royce Hall. January 30, 1971
      • Dorothy Chandler Pavillion [sic]. Feb 1, 1971
      • Under The Rainbow. Nov 3, 1973
      • The Bottom Line aka ‘Citizen Kane Jr. Blues’ May 16, 1974
      • The Ducks - ‘Trick of Disaster’ August 1977
    • Original Recording Series (ORS) #4  - Albums in Hi-ResHawks and Doves, Reactor, This Note's For You, Eldorado. Release date: 5/28 
    • Original Recording Series (ORS) #5  - Albums in Hi-ResFreedom, Ragged Glory Extended (+ 4 more tracks), Weld. (where's ARC?!) Release date:  August 6 2021
    • Original Recording Series (ORS) #6 - w/ "Sleeps With Angels”  - November 26, 2021. 
    • Original Recording Series (ORS) #7 - w/ “Broken Arrow” - tentatively scheduled for summer of 2022. 
    • Live Alchemy - Crazy Horse Tour 2012/3.  Release date:  October 29, 2021
    • Johnny's Island: planned for NYA Volume 3, finished with 7 unreleased tracks + the 3 Trans acoustic.  "Johnny’s Island, is not ‘Island in the Sun,’ but does include some of the music from that unreleased record, in addition to other rare unheard songs."
    • EARLY DAZE (unreleased Crazy Horse) - coming in '22
    • CSNY 70 / 71 Fillmore East - coming in 2022 w/ 4 camera video of CSNY 
    • Landing On Water - coming in high resolution
    • Buffalo Springfield Boxset - outtakes have been added to NYA
    • Bridge School Series  - "in a new part of NYA in the coming weeks"
    • Berlin (In Concert Film, 1982) - planned for NYA Volume 3 
    • Trans Animated -  planned for NYA Volume 3 
    • Boarding House 1978 -  planned for NYA Volume 3   
    • Oceanside Countryside -  planned for NYA Volume 3 
    • A Snapshot in Time -  " 'Barefoot Floors' is also included on NYA Volume 3 in ‘a snapshot in time’ disc 3. This is a documentary tape of me playing the songs on stars n bars for Nicolette Larson, Linda Ronstadt and David Briggs before we went into the studio. I think it’s the best recording. It may have been done separately in the studio."
    • GIVE TO THE WIND - planned for NYA Volume 3, Disc 4. "We have the rehearsal tape done at the Nashville Musician’s Union Hall the previous day with Nicolette and I and the entire orchestra."
    • Noise and Flowers -  live concert album of the 2019 tour with POTR 
    • Live Mirror Ball - in concert w/ Pearl Jam (DVD and CD); 
    • Timeless Orpheum - solo 2019 on DVD; 
    • Toast - unreleased Crazy Horse album 
    • WELD Series - concerts from the 1991 Weld Tour 
    • Outtakes "Coming as outtakes and some are in albums like ‘Crazy Horse Early Daze’ and others . . . . unreleased."
      • Cinnamon Girl studio jan 1969
      • Winterlong studio oct 1969
      • Everybody's Alone studio CSNY oct 1969
      • Sea of Madness studio CSNY feb 1969
      • Last Dance studio dec 1972
      • New Mama studio dec 1972
      • Motorcycle Mama studio jan 75
      • Long May You Run studio jan 75

(Tim Rogers)
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    goldrush said:
    The guys at Thrasher’s Wheat have attempted to put together an updated list of everything in the pipeline...
    Holy smokes. Prolific would be an understatement. Uncle Neil's well runs deep!! 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    First spin of Way Down In The Rust Bucket in the books. Great and quiet pressing. I just love the sound of Neil and the horse during this era. Just back to basics and a lot of great jamming. So glad I decided to purchase this. The packaging could have been a little better. Kind of surprised someone so concerned with the environment would have each record wrapped in plastic. Not much in the way of a booklet either but these are small grips. The music is awesome.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I got my box yesterday morning. 

I've never seen individual records in a box also plastic wrapped. Its a great show. 

Wish I could buy a digital video DL of the show. No need for another disc. 

I’ve had my tracking number since Monday, apparently only the packing slip has been printed...kind of annoying for a preorder.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • I know this is peak Neil for many, that this is a great release, and that hearing Reactor songs live is great --

-- but not "my" favorite live version of Neil.
  • 108 dollars for Down in the Rust Bucket over here.... hehe... how much is it in the states?
    $65ish for just the 4LP

about $90 for the LP+ cd/dvd version
  • $65ish for just the 4LP

about $90 for the LP+ cd/dvd version
    A bit cheaper... will look if I can find it cheaper somehwhere from Europe then... 

over 100 dollars is a bit much for me. The cd/dvd version is 150 USD here