PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Fuck this weather. I was able to golf 3 times in February last year. At this point, it's gonna be mid March before the ground is dry.

I'm definitely gonna be a snow bird when I retire. Buy a little condo in the Clearwater area or something. Head south after the holidays and head north with the Phils a few months later. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I don't mind snow.  If it's gonna be cold, I'd rather have snow on the ground.  Though that is changing a bit with working from home and daycare closing from time to time. 3 year old loves it though.
    Agreed. I was taking the kid to preschool this morning and she was loving it. Made me actually think that as I can recall this is the closest to what a conventional winter was like for me as a kid or thereabouts - consistently cold and snow more than once where it immediately melts. She got a kick out of cleaning the car off. 

Don't worry though, everybody, this is now the anomaly going forward - we'll all have waterfront property sooner than later.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Fuck this weather. I was able to golf 3 times in February last year. At this point, it's gonna be mid March before the ground is dry.

I'm definitely gonna be a snow bird when I retire. Buy a little condo in the Clearwater area or something. Head south after the holidays and head north with the Phils a few months later. 
    My wife seems set on Clearwater for our future snowbird haven, so we can hang out and argue over Boston vs Philly sports while listening to PJ and discussing the good old days over a tall glass of prune juice.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

My wife seems set on Clearwater for our future snowbird haven, so we can hang out and argue over Boston vs Philly sports while listening to PJ and discussing the good old days over a tall glass of prune juice.
    See you there!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited February 2021
    Reading about the Phils during this god forsaken, snow filled, month is one of the few things keeping me sane.

I think they're gonna be better this year. I like what Dombrowski has done since coming aboard.. Gelb has a good article about him filling out the roster in a better way than in years past.

Should score a lot of runs again--offense wasn't a problem last year and it's the same lineup again. Bullpen should be better (can't be worse!). With any luck Spencer Howard will stay healthy and approach his ceiling. Defense still will be an issue. But I think they'll be in the mix come September. 

I really had a hard time getting into that fake baseball season last year. Looking forward to a, hopefully, more normal season this time around. 

GoPhils.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    jesus christ another 6-7"of snow  here :angry:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Reading about the Phils during this god forsaken, snow filled, month is one of the few things keeping me sane.

I think they're gonna be better this year. I like what Dombrowski has done since coming aboard.. Gelb has a good article about him filling out the roster in a better way than in years past.

Should score a lot of runs again--offense wasn't a problem last year and it's the same lineup again. Bullpen should be better (can't be worse!). With any luck Spencer Howard will stay healthy and approach his ceiling. Defense still will be an issue. But I think they'll be in the mix come September. 

I really had a hard time getting into that fake baseball season last year. Looking forward to a, hopefully, more normal season this time around. 

GoPhils.
    Yeah, basically they took the $25M from Arietta and spread it around. I don't mind the filler pieces they're taking a chance on either. I think they should go sign Jackie Bradley instead of fucking with any of these guys in center.
    Cool. So JT is hurt. I don't like baseball players - especially catchers - with thumb injuries. Cool cool cool. Cooooool.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

GoPhils.
    You'd think they would be better even if it's a very similar team.  The division is just so brutal
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    what a great day in Philly.   snow, trade our franchise QB for shit,  and 2nd biggest star of the baseball team gets hurt catching a bullpen. wonderful
    This new Kate Winslet show on HBO looks decent. Seems like a pretty decent Delco account too. Exciting times!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This new Kate Winslet show on HBO looks decent. Seems like a pretty decent Delco account too. Exciting times!
    Haha, randomly saw that she said something like it was hands down the hardest accent for her to adjust to.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I hadn't seen anything on this....funny the mention of accents when they show that scene with her speaking to Guy Pierce.  Have you heard that guy's real accent?
    What these people can do with the way they speak is crazy cool

Finally, the City and the Federal gov't are actually moving in the right direction - mass vaccination location opening at the convention center. Huge news.
    edited February 2021
    Finally, the City and the Federal gov't are actually moving in the right direction - mass vaccination location opening at the convention center. Huge news.
    Not doing it at the Linc then?

I get my first shot on Tuesday. By the end of March just about all of my family should be fully vaccinated. Halle-fucking-luiah 
    chinese-happy.jpg

I get my first shot on Tuesday. By the end of March just about all of my family should be fully vaccinated. Halle-fucking-luiah 
    Nah, not at the moment at least - mayor wanted something more centralized and better accessible to all neighborhoods of the city, which I get. At the same time I think they should be using any and all spaces that are willing.

I know the vaccine isn't an end-all be-all for all things Covid and I'm immediately going back to the way things were pre-Covid, but yeah I'm at a breaking point and am close to just saying fuck it in a lot of regards, so the sooner the better. PA as a whole has been awful with it compared to our neighbor states, but looks like they're finally righting the ship. Looking forward to research results showing you can't transmit the virus to others once vaccinated.

how did you get it so soon? underlying condition?   PA. has done a shitty job of getting enough vaccines.  I'm in 1C on the protocols so i'll be lucky to get it by freaking July at this rate.
    edited February 2021
    pjhawks said:

how did you get it so soon? underlying condition?   PA. has done a shitty job of getting enough vaccines.  I'm in 1C on the protocols so i'll be lucky to get it by freaking July at this rate.
    I used to feel this way, but I'm starting to be more optimistic that the curve on this is steep, so it's been slow going but I think it's gonna flip a switch and accelerate. At least I hope.

I also don't hold it against anyone getting the vaccine even if they're not technically next because they've done a shitty job distributing and doses are going unused. Just start sticking everyone in the arm.
    pjhawks said:

I used to feel this way, but I'm starting to be more optimistic that the curve on this is steep, so it's been slow going but I think it's gonna flip a switch and accelerate. At least I hope.

I also don't hold it against anyone getting the vaccine even if they're not technically next because they've done a shitty job distributing and doses are going unused. Just start sticking everyone in the arm.
    Yea my hope is they start getting a ton and even most pharmacies start getting it so it's easier to schedule and get come spring. I'm fine with where I am on the list though as I'm pretty healthy overall. Give it to those who need it most works for me.  Friends and family who have gotten it the 2nd dose has hit them pretty hard for a day or two though.  
    My mother in law is 65 with COPD and lung cancer and she is having a pain in the balls time getting it.  This state is terrible at this.
    My mother in law is 65 with COPD and lung cancer and she is having a pain in the balls time getting it.  This state is terrible at this.
    Seems like the Convention Center deal will be the way to go since this'll be FEMA and won't be dealing with any mickey mouse state bullshit. Otherwise, does she live in one of these zips? 19123 maybe?

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/philadelphia-coronavirus-vaccine-24-hour-site-black-doctors-covid-consortium-20210218.html
    edited February 2021

Someone told me smokers go to a higher priority on the list.  Kinda ironic, isn't it?
    (That said, my mom smoked for years and only quit when they took some of her lung out....AFTER my dad died from throat cancer/lung cancer caused from smoking.  She has had both shots, for which I am very thankful.)

**Also -- apologies if the assumption that your MIL is a smoker is wrong....just guessed she was from that write up at 65.  best wishes to her!**
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    edited February 2021
    Seems like the Convention Center deal will be the way to go since this'll be FEMA and won't be dealing with any mickey mouse state bullshit. Otherwise, does she live in one of these zips? 19123 maybe?

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/philadelphia-coronavirus-vaccine-24-hour-site-black-doctors-covid-consortium-20210218.html
    Is your mom in PA, Cliff? My mom is 66 with COPD--her and my dad are getting their second shots next week, I think. They are in Delaware so it seems a little easier there. 

I believe I technically qualify but I wasn't even trying to get a spot. My brother kept trying the Rite Aid website angle at weird times of the day and evening. Ended up getting a spot and also me and my brother a spot at around 4 in the morning a couple weeks ago. Try that if you haven't already done so. 

Mother in law has lung cancer so her and her husband have already gotten their fist shot. I think her doctor was able to help her. Wife is a teacher and she was able to get her first one. Sister in law is a pharmacist, same deal. I think the only member of my immediate-ish family who isn't scheduled is my brother in law at this point. 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    So my mother in law was a smoker but isn’t since lung cancer 5 or so years ago. The rite aid site doesn’t work as it says she’s not eligible because she’s not 75.  I hear people get appointments through rite aid and we can pull them up here and there if we say 75 but not 65 with those conditions. 

My mom is in North Carolina and has both shots already, which is sweet 

And thanks JP for that link, she’s up a couple zips though 
    Delaware has been excellent at all this. PA belongs in the fucking Deep South.
    Spoke with a client at work who's son is an entertainment lawyer who handles a lot of major concert festivals. His best case scenario for concerts happening again would be October but probably not till early next year. They're deciding if they can somehow obtain proof that attendees have been vaccinated beforehand. 

Also, Eddie is one of the nicest guys in the industry according to him!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Spoke with a client at work who's son is an entertainment lawyer who handles a lot of major concert festivals. His best case scenario for concerts happening again would be October but probably not till early next year. They're deciding if they can somehow obtain proof that attendees have been vaccinated beforehand. 

I think the live nation CEO said yesterday that they are looking at 75% to 100% capacity outdoor concerts as soon as this summer. 

I think the live nation CEO said yesterday that they are looking at 75% to 100% capacity outdoor concerts as soon as this summer. 
    These people are all on fucking drugs.

This is the year to really question why I gave up drugs 
    Yeah, I have tix to Sea Hear Now and I'm thinking there's no way this happens. And it doesn't happen because PJ pulls out. I just don't know how you can a) do it in good conscience b) figure out the logistics of this in a reasonable way.