Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Great news, but I'm not holding my breath for this year.

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

+1
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    adusick said:

YASSS!!
    👍
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

Yeah, we'll see... 
    He was talking about 'Toast' again last week... he's been talking about that once since at least 2008 :lol:  

I'd love a Mirror Ball Live box set, the same as 'Return To Greendale' and 'Way Down In The Rust Bucket'.
    The Dublin live show on cd, vinyl and blu-ray/DVD would be awesome. I'll happily wait for the studio album to be included in the reissue box sets.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    'Daughters' from Archives II 
    Another how-was-this-never-released gem, with Emmylou Harris 

https://youtu.be/aN8tL_BHlN8

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:

Yeah, we'll see... 
    He was talking about 'Toast' again last week... he's been talking about that once since at least 2008 :lol:  

I'd love a Mirror Ball Live box set, the same as 'Return To Greendale' and 'Way Down In The Rust Bucket'.
    The Dublin live show on cd, vinyl and blu-ray/DVD would be awesome. I'll happily wait for the studio album to be included in the reissue box sets.
    Should be an UHD release. It was shot on 35mm.. LETS GO
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited February 2021
    ‘Young Shakespeare’ now has a Performance Series number, and updated artwork.
    The tracklist is on NYA and you can listen to Tell Me Why

According to an Instagram post, the preorders will start on Friday:

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Was holding the new greendale vinyl release this weekend... 25 dollars.... is it worth getting? So many releases...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Was holding the new greendale vinyl release this weekend... 25 dollars.... is it worth getting? So many releases...
    Yes, I genuinely think it is worth it. Even if you’re not a big Greendale fan, Neil and Crazy Horse sound great. There’s a really great groove on this one.

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Was holding the new greendale vinyl release this weekend... 25 dollars.... is it worth getting? So many releases...
    Yes, I genuinely think it is worth it. Even if you’re not a big Greendale fan, Neil and Crazy Horse sound great. There’s a really great groove on this one.
    Okey. I'll pick it up. But not the deluxe box. 

Seems to be a few Neil releases this year to pick up too...
    goldrush said:

It's been a while since I listened to Greendale all in one go, and there probably aren't any all-time classics on there compared to other Neil records, but Return To Greendale is worth it for a really tight Horse performance.

Yeah, this could be an expensive year if Neil releases everything he's mentioned recently. Young Shakespeare, the bootleg series, Eldorado, Ragged Glory (maybe), Mirror Ball (maybe), the next vinyl box...

(Tim Rogers)
    I think Be The Rain is a classic. 
    I may get the box set for Young Shakespeare. I think an old acoustic show would be something I would watch. 
  • I think Be The Rain is a classic. 
    Bought the single back  in the day. Haha.
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Great to see Neil so busy. In fact, he seems to be busier than ever these days!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    I'd really love a "Sleeps With Angels" vinyl reissue. That's such a great album. One of his best.
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    The video for ‘Dont Cry No Tears’ from Rust Bucket kinda sold me on getting the deluxe version. It looks and sounds awesome. Man is he good at parting me from my money. 
    I just realized he has an online Canadian store with free shipping (over $75) and prices in CDN $, I appreciate that. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

It's been a while since I listened to Greendale all in one go, and there probably aren't any all-time classics on there compared to other Neil records, but Return To Greendale is worth it for a really tight Horse performance.

Yeah, this could be an expensive year if Neil releases everything he's mentioned recently. Young Shakespeare, the bootleg series, Eldorado, Ragged Glory (maybe), Mirror Ball (maybe), the next vinyl box...

I would LOVE a double LP Ragged Glory release.  I have an early pressing vinyl, but they crammed way to many minutes on to one LP the first time around and a record full of music with so much power and glory comes off a bit thin due to those skinny little grooves.  Time to put the GLORY into Ragged Glory on 2 LPs!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

I would LOVE a double LP Ragged Glory release.  I have an early pressing vinyl, but they crammed way to many minutes on to one LP the first time around and a record full of music with so much power and glory comes off a bit thin due to those skinny little grooves.  Time to put the GLORY into Ragged Glory on 2 LPs!
    In today’s new batch of letters, Neil says Ragged Glory is coming out this year as an extended edition including Interstate and 3 other songs.
    Fingers crossed it’s spread out evenly over 2 LPs.

Also, Alchemy is on the list for this year

The outtakes that have been added will be available to buy, and Archives III is planned for next year

(Tim Rogers)
  • Should I sell my Ragged Glory before getting the remastered one?
    Nah. Keep them both.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Fuck I am gonna have to go back to college and abuse some student loans and hope joe forgives them if Neil keeps releasing so much great product!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited February 2021
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

In today’s new batch of letters, Neil says Ragged Glory is coming out this year as an extended edition including Interstate and 3 other songs.

The outtakes that have been added will be available to buy, and Archives III is planned for next year

I'm saving up my money- must haves!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Young Shakespeare album trailer

https://youtu.be/7G_BKu0NjO0

Tell Me Why

https://youtu.be/X_dWqfmPfU8

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

Tell Me Why

I hope this album isn't filled with Neil chatter the way Massey Hall is.  I wanted that Massey record in a big way and bought it and just hated how the music is broken up with talking.  I sold it to a friend.  I was really bummed because the music itself is marvelous.  If it were a concert film, I would be OK with that, but on a record, I can't stand a lot of talking. 

• adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Tell Me Why

I hope this album isn't filled with Neil chatter the way Massey Hall is.  I wanted that Massey record in a big way and bought it and just hated how the music is broken up with talking.  I sold it to a friend.  I was really bummed because the music itself is marvelous.  If it were a concert film, I would be OK with that, but on a record, I can't stand a lot of talking. 
    Can’t say the same, I love Neil’s awkward banter between songs, just adds to the charm for me.
    adusick said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Tell Me Why

Can’t say the same, I love Neil’s awkward banter between songs, just adds to the charm for me.

You're not alone- several others have told me the same.  That's cool.  It's just not my thing.  And the odd thing is, I don't mind it live.  I've been "attending" several of Steve Wynn/ Linda Pitmon streamed shows this last year and they both have great stories interjected between songs.  But on a record, I'm only there for the music.

• adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    brianlux said:
    adusick said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Tell Me Why

You're not alone- several others have told me the same.  That's cool.  It's just not my thing.  And the odd thing is, I don't mind it live.  I've been "attending" several of Steve Wynn/ Linda Pitmon streamed shows this last year and they both have great stories interjected between songs.  But on a record, I'm only there for the music.
    Makes sense, I can respect that, “less talk more rock” :) Welp based on the Young Shakespeare preview, I think we’re gonna get some chattin’, sorry man. But hope you can still enjoy it nonetheless, along with the other treats Neil has in store for us this year!
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

I'm saving up my money- must haves!
    Ragged Glory got another mention today - along with WELD =)  and Freedom - all planned for ORS Box #5 in August this year.

Neil hasn’t actually confirmed Box #4 yet (Hawks & Doves, Re-ac-tor, This Note’s For You, Eldorado), but Eldorado still has a May release date so maybe there’ll be 2 vinyl boxes this year...

(Tim Rogers)
    Just ordered the "Way Down in the Rust Bucket" 4LP set. Super excited to receive that. It's going to be an epic listen! Neil is going to break my bank account with all this stuff he's releasing.