Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Gonna wreck that once the CV is past us

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    My brother still live in Cherry Hill sometimes I tell him I wanna drive up to see him,but really I just want to get Halal guys. Lol jk
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    After the last few runs on the treadmill, I got outside this morning. I really didn't feel like running. It was one of those mornings. But the weather is supposed to be in the 20s this weekend and I knew today may be my last chance to run outside for a while - so off I went. How are you all doing?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Great work!
    I got the ok tonight to increase my walk/run on the treadmill.  Have been doing 30 seconds runs mixed in and now can get up to 40 and 45 second bursts spread out between walks.
    Three weeks into PT and he says things are moving along but I'm not quite up to straight running yet based on a gradual return to try and build strength and not blow the tendon up.

Been pretty cold in the mornings here as well....don't miss that part but still rather be out there with you.
    edited January 2021
    Great work!
    I got the ok tonight to increase my walk/run on the treadmill.  Have been doing 30 seconds runs mixed in and now can get up to 40 and 45 second bursts spread out between walks.
    Three weeks into PT and he says things are moving along but I'm not quite up to straight running yet based on a gradual return to try and build strength and not blow the tendon up.

Been pretty cold in the mornings here as well....don't miss that part but still rather be out there with you.
    Excellent news!! It sounds like you are making great progress. Just follow your PTs advice and you will be out there before you know it. I hope you are not having any more pain. 
    Thanks.  Some pain but nothing like before, it is after the fact, which is normal per the PT dude.
    Thanks.  Some pain but nothing like before, it is after the fact, which is normal per the PT dude.
    Glad to hear the pain is getting better. Hopefully, it will gone completely soon. 

Did 6 miles on the treadmill today. It was freezing out so I had to bring it inside. Masks still suck. 
    Good work!
    Was it crowded?
    Good work!
    Was it crowded?
    Thanks. It was more crowded than when I go during the week. But you have to make an appointment so it wasn’t too bad. I got a machine on the end and they blocked off every other machine. When I was there even the one two machines away was empty for most of my run. So that was good. 
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 635
    GlowGirl said:
    :clap: to you both!
    I second this. You all have some amazing goals. I ran 5.5 miles today. That is enough for me for a run. I can't imagine doing a 1/2 marathon, never mind an ultra marathon. I am running mainly for mental and physical health - not training for anything. But I have seen results, so I keep at it. Running has been my savior during this pandemic. It clears my head for sure.

Running for our well being and health is the most important thing and the one thing we all get out of running 👍 If any runner doesn't feel the need to enter events than that's just fine. I will say though, if you did want to take on say, a half marathon, don't let the idea of it frighten you because once into it and training you will definitely surprise yourself. It's incredible the things we can do. But you're already getting the most important thing from running, everything else is individual and not as important.
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    :clap: to you both!
    I second this. You all have some amazing goals. I ran 5.5 miles today. That is enough for me for a run. I can't imagine doing a 1/2 marathon, never mind an ultra marathon. I am running mainly for mental and physical health - not training for anything. But I have seen results, so I keep at it. Running has been my savior during this pandemic. It clears my head for sure.

Running for our well being and health is the most important thing and the one thing we all get out of running 👍 If any runner doesn't feel the need to enter events than that's just fine. I will say though, if you did want to take on say, a half marathon, don't let the idea of it frighten you because once into it and training you will definitely surprise yourself. It's incredible the things we can do. But you're already getting the most important thing from running, everything else is individual and not as important.
    Thanks for the motivation. I have run a few 5k charity runs. I may try a 10k next. But not sure about a half marathon. But never say never. 

Because of the snow my gym is closed today. I have never seen them close for snow before. But the mayor called a state of emergency because of the snow and asked all essential businesses to close. I only live 2 blocks from my gym so it is usually an easy walk even in bad weather. Oh well. Since it is a forced day off I guess I can’t feel guilty about missing a day. I don’t have the right gear to run in a snowstorm. 
    Call it an Off Day and enjoy!
    Call it an Off Day and enjoy!
    That’s the plan. Just being lazy this morning. I guess I should turn on the computer and start working. 
    No thanks!

Wim Hof is a legendary beast....after I do the ultra I may move to his stuff next, work it in with running but have it be a part of my focus.

Perfect scenario sees me put a sauna in my house and something for the extreme cold so I can go hot/cold.

(If you don't know who Wim Hof is, check him out.)
    No thanks!

Wim Hof is a legendary beast....after I do the ultra I may move to his stuff next, work it in with running but have it be a part of my focus.

Perfect scenario sees me put a sauna in my house and something for the extreme cold so I can go hot/cold.

I will check him out. No barefoot running for me though. Did you watch the video with the article. The guy had to stop halfway through since he ended up running on ice. The bottoms of his feet were torn up. Layers of skin gone. Of course they had to show it. I am sure he was in pain for a while with that.

GlowGirl said:
    Yea that's a big nope. My feet slaps the ground when I'm barefoot. 
    GlowGirl said:
    No thanks!

I will check him out. No barefoot running for me though. Did you watch the video with the article. The guy had to stop halfway through since he ended up running on ice. The bottoms of his feet were torn up. Layers of skin gone. Of course they had to show it. I am sure he was in pain for a while with that.

Not many of this earth as tough as Wim Hof!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    I have bad feet (born with them) and bad knees due to being a catcher playing softball for many years; I just wanted to chime in and say that EVERY time I log into the forum, and come to AET; this thread comes up and without fail I read the entire thread name, "anyone here tried this new thing .  . called jogging".  It never fails to draw me in, as if I NEVER saw it before.  What's the new thing?? F me, it's jogging AGAIN . . or STILL.  Every friggin' time since the day it was posted.  Never actually read the thread  (not one single response) so not even sure you're all still talking about jogging but I'm hoping if I respond I will kill it forever.  I have that affect sometimes.  :)
    ?

I have bad feet (born with them) and bad knees due to being a catcher playing softball for many years; I just wanted to chime in and say that EVERY time I log into the forum, and come to AET; this thread comes up and without fail I read the entire thread name, "anyone here tried this new thing .  . called jogging".  It never fails to draw me in, as if I NEVER saw it before.  What's the new thing?? F me, it's jogging AGAIN . . or STILL.  Every friggin' time since the day it was posted.  Never actually read the thread  (not one single response) so not even sure you're all still talking about jogging but I'm hoping if I respond I will kill it forever.  I have that affect sometimes.  :)
    This thread started was started by someone who was just starting to try jogging and wanted to get some tips. It has since turned into a thread about running. If the OP wants to change the name, that is up to them. However, this thread is great for those of us who regularly run, and there are quite a few of us who participate, which is why it moves to the top so often. We are still talking about running. If you read through you will see that some are serious runners training for marathons, while others like me just enjoy running. We share tips, motivate each other, etc. I have learned quite a lot about running from people here and have improved my running skills, gotten great advice about running gear, etc. I have also gotten tremendous motivation from other runners here, which helped me to up my miles over the past summer. It has been my pleasure to cheer on those who were participating in races from miles away. We have also been supportive when someone suffers an injury. While running is not for everyone, it has really helped me - especially during this pandemic. I really appreciate this thread and hope it keeps going.

GlowGirl said:
    This thread started was started by someone who was just starting to try jogging and wanted to get some tips. It has since turned into a thread about running. If the OP wants to change the name, that is up to them. However, this thread is great for those of us who regularly run, and there are quite a few of us who participate, which is why it moves to the top so often. We are still talking about running. If you read through you will see that some are serious runners training for marathons, while others like me just enjoy running. We share tips, motivate each other, etc. I have learned quite a lot about running from people here and have improved my running skills, gotten great advice about running gear, etc. I have also gotten tremendous motivation from other runners here, which helped me to up my miles over the past summer. It has been my pleasure to cheer on those who were participating in races from miles away. We have also been supportive when someone suffers an injury. While running is not for everyone, it has really helped me - especially during this pandemic. I really appreciate this thread and hope it keeps going.

It will keep going, we like it.  It is positive (for the most part, this is the first negative stuff I recall seeing) and fun for those of us who participate.

The post seems to think that I started the thread, which I did not, or perhaps it is just her saying "Fuck Me, it's jogging AGAIN or STILL".

The new thing is, I believe, a little nod to a classic comedy called Anchorman - but SC as the OP would have to confirm:

GlowGirl said:

It will keep going, we like it.  It is positive (for the most part, this is the first negative stuff I recall seeing) and fun for those of us who participate.

The post seems to think that I started the thread, which I did not, or perhaps it is just her saying "Fuck Me, it's jogging AGAIN or STILL".

The new thing is, I believe, a little nod to a classic comedy called Anchorman - but SC as the OP would have to confirm:

I agree with everything you say. I didn't get the Anchorman reference - but knowing how SC likes his movies, I bet you are right about that.

Active and maybe even competitive bunch who enjoy moving forward has a thread that keeps on going. Imagine that.
    Yup.  I am cleared to push my recovery walk/run on the dreadmill today to one minute bursts. 
    I love this....however I am on day 4 of a 5 day Water Only fast and even walking for 30 minutes seems like a lot.

What do I say to that?

F It!  I am going to do it anyway.  (and then really, really, long for tomorrow when I can eat again.)
    Yup.  I am cleared to push my recovery walk/run on the dreadmill today to one minute bursts. 
    I love this....however I am on day 4 of a 5 day Water Only fast and even walking for 30 minutes seems like a lot.

What do I say to that?

F It!  I am going to do it anyway.  (and then really, really, long for tomorrow when I can eat again.)
    Yikes. I forgot that you have periods of fasting. That is great, but must be hard on your energy level. Congrats on the progress you are making in your recovery. I look forward to the day when you start posting again about your runs. Looks like that might be sooner than later. How did the treadmill go today?

I still have to do it, tonight, after the kid is in bed.

Thanks for your encouragement!  Yes, the fasting is very difficult to start with but exercise on top of it is crazy hard.  Had 90 mins of PT last night and I was breathing hard the whole time, drank three bottles of water.  Everything felt like I was working in quicksand 

Truth be told, I kind of liked it.  Just as with the fasting itself, doing things like this makes me feel like I can do so much more than I give myself credit for.  It is a major mind fuck and I like that.

That being the case, I really want to eat!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    GlowGirl said:

I have no problem with the thread and it's intention, I'm all for supporting one another, it's just that since jogging is out of the question for me, I never read it.  But I still read the thread title every time as if it was the first time I came across it.   =)  I wasn't seriously trying to get it to go away.  
    GlowGirl said:

I have no problem with the thread and it's intention, I'm all for supporting one another, it's just that since jogging is out of the question for me, I never read it.  But I still read the thread title every time as if it was the first time I came across it.   =)  I wasn't seriously trying to get it to go away.  
    No worries. I get it. There are lots of threads on here that I don’t read because they are not relevant to my interests. Thank SC for the thread title. I didn’t know it was from Anchorman, but now it makes more sense. Btw - I like that we both have screen names that are Who songs. I’m a huge fan. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I still have to do it, tonight, after the kid is in bed.

Thanks for your encouragement!  Yes, the fasting is very difficult to start with but exercise on top of it is crazy hard.  Had 90 mins of PT last night and I was breathing hard the whole time, drank three bottles of water.  Everything felt like I was working in quicksand 

Truth be told, I kind of liked it.  Just as with the fasting itself, doing things like this makes me feel like I can do so much more than I give myself credit for.  It is a major mind fuck and I like that.

That being the case, I really want to eat!
    Am guessing that your dreadmill run is finished now and that when you wake up you can eat. Yay you! And good luck with restarting the runs. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf