Capitol Hill Riots

Comments

• Blue Lives Matter was a racist Dog Whistle long before the protests last summer.  As soon as people started banding together under the Black Lives Matter maybe around Ferguson the Blue Lives Matter fools made it up for the exact purpose of negating that Black Lives Matter.
    Holy shit. Even more dumb 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

Blue Lives Matter was a racist Dog Whistle long before the protests last summer.  As soon as people started banding together under the Black Lives Matter maybe around Ferguson the Blue Lives Matter fools made it up for the exact purpose of negating that Black Lives Matter.
    Holy shit. Even more dumb 
    To use the exact same phrasing for blue and all lives matter makes it a pretty easy jump that the saying is a contra to black lives matter.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    The silence from the Blue Lives Matter crowd these last few weeks has been deafening.

Because essentially everyone condemns the riot. I have yet to personally hear a single person say this was the right thing to do. Sure, I've heard a few people say a friend of a friend of a friend said so maybe, but the overwhelming majority of the country knows this riot was wrong. Therefore I don't see a reason to speak out for Blue LM. Blue LM has always been, from my understanding and experience, a response to people targeting cops. This riot wasn't about targeting the police nor does anyone support the violence that happened here. Now if you hear people chanting they should have killed more cops so they can enter the capitol, that'd be a different story. 

Dude Blue Lives Matter is just a subtle way for assholes to say black lives don’t matter, always has been always will be.
    Yep.  Blue lives didn't really matter much on the 6th, nor in the aftermath. 

Of course nobody's coming out and saying the rioting was good (not even the people that clearly wanted it to be successful). But I'm not really seeing a lot of them Backing the Blue, either.
    Didn't really matter before, either. The 6th exposed that. Just a racially-charged retort to BLM, as stated above.
    I've had this argument a few times before. I just have to say I strongly disagree. Blue LM wasn't about saying Black lives don't matter. It was a response to the violence that targeting police. I recognize that most of the protests were peaceful, but if some of the protests didn't turn into riots or violence targeting police, Blue LM never would have happened. In this current culture we are in it seems like we are either for black lives or for police lives (or against police violence). I don't understand why we can't be for both, I am.
    Blue Lives Matter was a racist Dog Whistle long before the protests last summer.  As soon as people started banding together under the Black Lives Matter maybe around Ferguson the Blue Lives Matter fools made it up for the exact purpose of negating that Black Lives Matter.
    I don’t remember hearing about it until after the officers were shot in Dallas at the BLM protest.
    Edit:  Wikipedia I know, but I remember now what kicked Blue Lives Matter off:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lives_Matter#History
    Just to clarify, it wasn't an BLM protest. It was a lone guy who never claimed affiliation with any group. That doesn't make a difference in supporting Blue Lives in my opinion, just wanted to clarify.
    Maybe not specifically a BLM protest, but it did coincide with the protests of black men being killed:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_shooting_of_Dallas_police_officers
    The shooter had an unrelated grudge, though, I believe.  It’s been a bit and I don’t recall all of the details.  I do remember seeing people yelling “Black Lives Matter” in the officers’ faces immediately after the shooting, though.
    Anyways, after this was when I started seeing all of the “thin blue line” social media pictures and what not.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    When did cops endure hundreds of years of oppression? when have they been indiscriminately killed or abused or harassed because of their uniform by people in positions of authority?

when did black people choose to be black, like cops chose to be cops?

when has there ever been a parade attended by prominent people in government when a black person is killed?

i'd say blue lives have always mattered, and doesn't require a slogan, awareness, or acknowledgement of really any kind over an above what is already done. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    When did cops endure hundreds of years of oppression? when have they been indiscriminately killed or abused or harassed because of their uniform by people in positions of authority?

when has there ever been a parade attended by prominent people in government when a black person is killed?

i'd say blue lives have always mattered, and doesn't require a slogan, awareness, or acknowledgement of really any kind over an above what is already done. 
    1) Never
    2) Never .... since you added people in position of authority
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

I think it's clear that these are 2 different issues.  The lack of respect for police in some communities is extremely disturbing.  I suspect (have no data) that awful police tactics helped create that mistrust however.
    hippiemom = goodness
    agreed
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

1) Never
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

I think it's clear that these are 2 different issues.  The lack of respect for police in some communities is extremely disturbing.  I suspect (have no data) that awful police tactics helped create that mistrust however.
    #3 don't forget MLK, Medgar Evers, etc. Point is understood but not true about any Black person. 
  • mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    The silence from the Blue Lives Matter crowd these last few weeks has been deafening.

Because essentially everyone condemns the riot. I have yet to personally hear a single person say this was the right thing to do. Sure, I've heard a few people say a friend of a friend of a friend said so maybe, but the overwhelming majority of the country knows this riot was wrong. Therefore I don't see a reason to speak out for Blue LM. Blue LM has always been, from my understanding and experience, a response to people targeting cops. This riot wasn't about targeting the police nor does anyone support the violence that happened here. Now if you hear people chanting they should have killed more cops so they can enter the capitol, that'd be a different story. 

Can you link us to the condemnation from the repubs, repub party and POOTWH, please. I haven't seen much. Links to quotes would be appreciated. Did POOTWH visit the families of the fallen or any of the injured? I haven't heard that he did. Like everything else, use 'em and abuse 'em. I guess getting hit in the head with a fire extinguisher and beaten to death isn't "targeting cops?" Or crushing a cop up against a door frame and purposely closing his face shield repeatedly, making it more difficult for him to breathe, wasn't "targeting a cop?" Or ramming a fence wicket through a cops arm wasn't "targeting a cop?" Guess their uniforms and badges didn't matter and they were just in the way?Good lord.
    I've heard numerous republican leaders speak out against it, and not a single one publicly condoning it. I know how most feel about Fox News here, but this was the first story that popped up when I searched "republicans capitol hill riot." There are many more stories with more examples of republicans speaking out against it. Do you have a single example of any republican figure condoning it? I've be very interested in see it if anyone had.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-politicians-condemn-violence-at-capitol-call-for-an-end-to-riots

No, Trump didn't reach out. I don't see how that is relevant though. He was pretty much silent and remained out of public view for the next 2 weeks with just a couple exceptions. 

Yes, many cops were injured and 1 even killed during the riot. But I was talking about the response to the riot, not the riot itself, which is what the meme was referring to-the response to the riot and the lack of Blue LM comments. There has been widespread outrage over the riot. It doesn't seem necessary to me to cry out "Blue Lives Matter" as a response, when the response is overwhelming angry that this happened from all sides and all people. I just don't see what the comment of "The silence from the Blue Lives Matter crowd these last few weeks has been deafening." says about anything. Like everyone else, I've been outspoken against the riot. Do I need to include Blue LM in my comments when condemning the riots? I don't see the purpose in that since the riots have been accepted as wrong by just about everyone.
    Thats different than the summer when you did hear support for Blue LM. Many were condoning the riots, saying its the only way to get change, accepting that violence against police was okay. That warrants a response of Blue LM.

Do you bear responsibility for what happened at the capitol as an American? As repub house minority leader McCrappy stated? Speaking out against it? They should be openly encouraging law enforcement to throw the book at the perps, while loudly condemning POOTWH. Instead? Going after their own for voting for impeachment, continuing to bow to POOTWH and blaming all Americans for what happened. Guess you missed this in the Letter from an American thread's latest post?:

It has been just three weeks and a day since a crazed mob, egged on by the former president and his supporters, stormed the U.S. Capitol to overturn the outcome of the 2020 election. They smashed into the building, carrying handcuffs and searching for our elected officials, whom they threatened to harm. They killed one police officer and wounded 140 more. Our vice president, senators, and representatives, along with all their staff, had to be evacuated to secure quarters, and then to hide, while rioters took over the building, rifling through their offices and smearing excrement on the floors. 

That anyone is trying to downplay that attempt to destroy the central principle of our democracy—fair elections and the peaceful transfer of power-- is appalling. 

And yet, Republican lawmakers are doing just that. Within the party, the pro-Trump faction and the business faction are struggling to take control. Those in the business wing of the party are not moderates: they are determined to destroy the government regulation, social welfare legislation, and public infrastructure programs that a majority of Americans like. But they are not openly white supremacists or adherents of the QAnon conspiracy, the way that Trump’s vocal supporters are.

The response to the riot by the repubs has been to double down, minimize it and wink-wink, nod-nod, in a ode to POOTWH. Elected repubs want to carry firearms onto the house floor and there's a QAnon whacko in thier midst and its kid gloves. Actions speak louder than words and what you're seeing is the destruction of our democracy. And you bear responsibility, according to McCrappy. How can you be so blind to this?

To the bolds in your post:

1. How loudly and forcefully? Actions speak louder than words. And all of those quoted in your Faux link? Were egging that shit on. Seems a tad hypocritical and CYA-ish.
    2. Because POOTWH doesn't give a shit about Blue Lives Mattering. just a marketing slogan to him, like everything else.
    3. What widespread outrage? the repubs are minimizing it and trying to forget it even happened. And their not even embarrassed by it. There's no deep soul searching going on. POOTWH's base is fine with it. Even Faux isn't really talking about it. Meanwhile, McCrappy goes to Mar-I Lieo to kiss the ring. Disgusting.
    4. Wrong. If there was truth to this, repubs would vote to convict POOTWH and move on. 35% of repubs are totally fine with what happened.
    5. Can you show me where this was publicly stated by elected officials?

I get it, same, same.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    "Blue Lives Matter" was always code for "No, Black Lives Don't Matter" and the conservative crowd carrying those ridiculous thin blue line flags that beat and murdered Capitol Police Officers on January 6th confirmed this. 
    mrussel1 said:

1) Never
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

#3 don't forget MLK, Medgar Evers, etc. Point is understood but not true about any Black person. 
    I assume you're referring to #4, and yes, I should have quantified it with "regular black member of society". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:

1) Never
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

I assume you're referring to #4, and yes, I should have quantified it with "regular black member of society". 
    Yes but people that become officers and perform the job with honor are certainly worthy a "parade" if killed in the line of duty.  It's an extremely tough job, extremely dangerous in many places.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:

1) Never
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

Yes but people that become officers and perform the job with honor are certainly worthy a "parade" if killed in the line of duty.  It's an extremely tough job, extremely dangerous in many places.  
    I'm honestly on the fence about that. obviously I thank them for their service, but it's not like it's a volunteer/superhero position. they chose it. we don't have a parade for other professions that are killed in the line of their duty, and it's actually proven that there are more dangerous jobs than being a cop. 

it's not even in the top 10. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/27/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-according-to-bls-data.html

RLM (Roofers Lives Matter)
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

They may not have faced years of oppression, but they have certainly been indiscriminately targeted and killed. I just gave a single example where that happened to 12 officers at once. Which is the point really. Police are indiscriminately targeted and killed, and actually at a higher rate. With over 100 cops killed every year and only about 700,000 active police, you have a higher chance of being killed if you're a cop than a black person has of being killed by a cop. It isn't even close. But that isnt what its about, its not about black or cop. Only those against police make it blacks against cops. Its about saving lives. But we're not allowed to openly say I am pro cop. I am not allowed to openly support police in my school. If you openly do support police you are called racist.
    I very rarely speak out for police because of the backlash it gets and the sensitive nature of my job. Here is about the only place I do. I made one comment on facebook a few months ago condemning the random shoot of the 2 cops in the head while they sat in their car in LA. And that I was disgusted over the video of the witnesses cheering on the shooter and then laughing at the police while they try to bandage their own head wounds. And it was disgusting. I had more responses calling me racist for that than people willing to say the shooting was wrong. And that's why Blue Lives Matter even exists. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Shooting people is almost always wrong.
    (Even when the person shot stole a box of cigars, is asleep in bed in their apartment, or when they are pulled over for a moving violation, or run unarmed from police in the other direction...)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Not sure how this turned into a blacks vs cops debate but I look forward to the day that good cops stop protecting bad cops just because they are on the same team. I doubt I will see it in my lifetime though. 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    Like many current issues, the loudest proponents are those who don't know what it is like to be who they are speaking out for (not singling anyone out). We need a better way to elevate those who should be speaking and instead of muddying the message with all of the back and forth from people who can't relate, we should just listen instead. I cannot pretend to know what it is like to live as a person of color, I also cannot pretend to know what it is like to leave my house knowing that I may be targeted because of my profession. Feeling or being targeted is the correlation between the two and I can feel for both. To argue Hugh’s point, the dangers of performing your job and being killed by someone because of your job are two completely different topics. It makes me anxious just looking at those old pics of iron workers eating lunch on an I-beam hundreds of feet in the air.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    JW269453 said:
    Like many current issues, the loudest proponents are those who don't know what it is like to be who they are speaking out for (not singling anyone out). We need a better way to elevate those who should be speaking and instead of muddying the message with all of the back and forth from people who can't relate, we should just listen instead. I cannot pretend to know what it is like to live as a person of color, I also cannot pretend to know what it is like to leave my house knowing that I may be targeted because of my profession. Feeling or being targeted is the correlation between the two and I can feel for both. To argue Hugh’s point, the dangers of performing your job and being killed by someone because of your job are two completely different topics. It makes me anxious just looking at those old pics of iron workers eating lunch on an I-beam hundreds of feet in the air.

My personal belief is that everyone who can recognize systemic racism in America should either speak against it or speak for it, if that is what they believe.  You do not have to be a person of color to speak out against the problems we have.

I either misunderstand your position or am baffled by it. 

JW269453 said:

My personal belief is that everyone who can recognize systemic racism in America should either speak against it or speak for it, if that is what they believe.  You do not have to be a person of color to speak out against the problems we have.

I am not saying people should not voice their opinions, but I do not think that my voice carries as much weight as those who know the struggle. I want them to be at the forefront.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:

Dude Blue Lives Matter is just a subtle way for assholes to say black lives don’t matter, always has been always will be.
    Yep.  Blue lives didn't really matter much on the 6th, nor in the aftermath. 

Of course nobody's coming out and saying the rioting was good (not even the people that clearly wanted it to be successful). But I'm not really seeing a lot of them Backing the Blue, either.
    Didn't really matter before, either. The 6th exposed that. Just a racially-charged retort to BLM, as stated above.
    I've had this argument a few times before. I just have to say I strongly disagree. Blue LM wasn't about saying Black lives don't matter. It was a response to the violence that targeting police. I recognize that most of the protests were peaceful, but if some of the protests didn't turn into riots or violence targeting police, Blue LM never would have happened. In this current culture we are in it seems like we are either for black lives or for police lives (or against police violence). I don't understand why we can't be for both, I am.
    Police have been killed in protests long before this summer too.
    2016, 12 cops shot and 5 killed by a gunman targetting police out of his hate for white police officers. Does that not deserve a response of Blue Lives Matter? When are we allowed to say a cop's life matters?
    https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dallas-police-ambush/protests-spawn-cities-across-u-s-over-police-shootings-black-n605686
    When have cops lives ever not mattered? You can't compare the two. Pretty sure cops have had the power their entire existence. The rally of Blue Lives Matter insinuates they once didn't. That's bullshit. Maybe we need to start a Children's Lives Matter faction since so many think shooting up schools and targeting kids is ok.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    FBI is looking for the person who planted the pipe bombs:
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/29/politics/washington-pipe-bombs-dnc-rnc/index.html
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:

I am not saying people should not voice their opinions, but I do not think that my voice carries as much weight as those who know the struggle. I want them to be at the forefront.

They’ve been at they forefront for centuries, and they’re tired. Tired of being ignored because of the very system they’re at the forefront of fighting against. 

Things are so fucked up that YOUR voice carries MORE weight. 

Thinking that it shouldn’t won’t change that. So please speak up for your fellow humans until they’re voices are heard and respected enough to no longer be ignored. 

We’re in this thing together. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited January 2021
    dankind said:
    JW269453 said:
    JW269453 said:

They’ve been at they forefront for centuries, and they’re tired. Tired of being ignored because of the very system they’re at the forefront of fighting against. 

Things are so fucked up that YOUR voice carries MORE weight. 

Thinking that it shouldn’t won’t change that. So please speak up for your fellow humans until they’re voices are heard and respected enough to no longer be ignored. 

We’re in this thing together. 
    I disagree that they have been at the forefront, I feel like they have been overshadowed or spoken for. There has to be a better way to elevate the message with them delivering it. Instead we get hashtags and homemade signs plastered all over the news. I agree that we are all in this together and I long for the days where human compassion is universal.
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
    edited January 2021
    The problem with being in the minority is that the majority has a pretty clear path to ignoring the desires of the minority 

Those white folks who want their game to continue, to support white privilege, are the same damn fools who marched on the capital.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    mrussel1 said:

1) Never
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

I'm honestly on the fence about that. obviously I thank them for their service, but it's not like it's a volunteer/superhero position. they chose it. we don't have a parade for other professions that are killed in the line of their duty, and it's actually proven that there are more dangerous jobs than being a cop. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/27/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-according-to-bls-data.html

Oh c’mon. Those other jobs are dangerous mostly because they don’t use safety devices and protocols that are well known. It’s not even the same. 

Police and firefighters are a different story.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:

1) Never
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

Oh c’mon. Those other jobs are dangerous mostly because they don’t use safety devices and protocols that are well known. It’s not even the same. 

I agree that police and fire are of a different nature, but those other jobs are dangerous as hell no matter what safety devices and protocols are in place.  In all of them, there are things that can go wrong that are unforeseen.  It's the nature of those jobs. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited January 2021
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

1) Never
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

I agree that police and fire are of a different nature, but those other jobs are dangerous as hell no matter what safety devices and protocols are in place.  In all of them, there are things that can go wrong that are unforeseen.  It's the nature of those jobs. 
    Yup. And I think that losing your life to save or protect another’s is pretty fucking heroic. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    I think most people agree that police officers killed in the line of duty are heroes. 

Which begs the question why isn’t there more outrage about the GOP trying to memory hole the events of 1/6? 

Why aren’t there more cries for justice for Brian Sicknick? 

The silence around this is deafening.
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

1) Never
    3) Never
    4) George Floyd

Some of those. Maybe the top 3, and driving...although those fatalities are most likely very preventable as well. The rest? No reason for a fatality. Thing dont just happen, people make choices, bad ones. Either the company or the worker
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    I think most people agree that police officers killed in the line of duty are heroes. 

Which begs the question why isn’t there more outrage about the GOP trying to memory hole the events of 1/6? 

Officer Sicknick will lie in state in the Capital Rotunda all next week.

The following week the Instigator-in-Chief will be tried.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Officer Sicknick will lie in state in the Capital Rotunda all next week.

The following week the Instigator-in-Chief will be tried.....

It's comically appropriate that his legal team is all quitting because he is insisting that the focus of the defense strategy is election fraud.  It looks like we might have Rudy running point on defense after all!
This discussion has been closed.