Will we get live PJ shows, as we knew them, in 2021?

Comments

• No
    Its going to be fascinating to see where we are in the fall. As PJNB says what happens when everyone who wants to be vaccinated has been? My guess is we have we still have small centralized breakouts in communities who don't get vaccinated at a decent rate. Don't underestimate the path of raw stupidity and natural herd immunity though. Especially with the new strain likely becoming the dominate variant over time. This thing is going to be hungry by summer, looking for targets and potentially getting even more contagious. If you are one of these idiots partying in Florida and don't want to get vaccinated you WILL get infected at some point. If immunity is as long lasting as a lot of scientific studies believe this will NOT be a never ending cycle. It comes down to whether or not we want to unite and get our lives back on track by late 2021, or bicker, argue and let this thing drag out another 2 or 3 years. As I said before the virus will at some point in 2021 no longer be the reason for our demise thanks to the miracle of modern science. At that point its humans who will choose to let this pandemic continue. The fact that we have vaccines 90-95% effective and potentially even higher down the road after less than a year is a miracle we should be able to celebrate. But no, here we are wondering if we'll even see live concerts in 2022. It's a pathetic reflection of where we are as a human race.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    No
    I wish everyone could get on the same page and focus on defeating this virus in the next 12 months. I think its absolutely possible with the tools science is about to hand us. At some point in 2021 its not going to be the virus in charge of our demise its going to be ourselves. I like to use sports analogies, think of 2020 as your favorite baseball team losing 110 games. They were awful and need a complete rebuild. But in 2021 we have a new front office taking over and some incredible prospects on the way in Moderna & Pfizer. With a few more in the pipeline as well. But it will take time! Lets shoot for a .500 season in 2021 because anything more is not realistic. When I see discussions about 2021 shows it feels like fans of that 110 loss team plotting where they want to sit for the 2021 World Series. It honestly makes me sad, let's all do our part and maybe this rebuild can be completed in 12-18 months and not 24-36. We need unity and patience right now and I fear in a divided country obsessed with instant gratification this might not go as well as it should. With all that said I think Spring 2022 shows are our best hope, if we don't botch this horribly as a society. 

This
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    No
    I think sporting events in 2021 are going to be the litmus test for gathering large groups of people once vaccines are more readily available.  

If those are deemed safe & successful, we'll probably see some artists start planning tours, but I would imagine there won't be much money or resources directed towards tour planning until it's proven that people can safely gather. Until then, it all just feels like wishful thinking. 

I think concerts and festivals are going to be one of the last things we get back, tbh. I hope I'm wrong, I'm desperate for live shows again. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    No

• This is the timeline for Massachusetts.  Even if this gets delayed and let’s call the last phase June-August, I really believe everyone who wants a vaccine can get there by October and concerts in Q4 of 2021 can happen

This graphic is my favorite thing I’ve seen posted on any thread since at least last March.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Yes
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    The festival industry is lobbying the government for aid. The headline makes it seem more dramatic. 

They can lobby until the cows come home, but until the virus is gone and everyone has had a vacine, mass gatherings for music will not take place any time soon.
    This virus will never be gone and everyone is not getting vaccinated. Not even close. Look at the numbers of health professionals that are already denying taking the vaccine on the first roll out. When the general public has its chance too the numbers will be even higher. What then? 

It is obvious that we are at the mercy of the government and health officials that will be making this call but if everyone that wants to be vaccinated is and our hospitals are not struggling what are we waiting for?

100% agree. At that point, you need to open venues, bars, restaurants, etc. We'll have reached the point where things will be for the foreseeable future. Let people get back to work and if someone wants to risk going unvaccinated, that's on them.
    Yes
    bbiggs said:
    One thing that concerns me is the government (federal and/or state) continuing to intervene once we've reached a point that everyone that wants a vaccination has received one.  There is a large percentage of the population that is opting against it, at least thus far.  Even if vaccination timelines are met (big if), there could very well be upwards of 50% of the population that has not gotten it, and won't.  So then what?  The virus will still present on a larger scale than what they're hoping for.  In that case, I don't see concerts happening anytime soon, but of course I hope to be wrong.
    Some fraction of those refusing the vaccine will have had covid and thus the antibodies that will protect them. Beyond that, it’s time to open things back up. Other than forcing vaccination, there's nothing else they can do. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Yes
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    One thing that concerns me is the government (federal and/or state) continuing to intervene once we've reached a point that everyone that wants a vaccination has received one.  There is a large percentage of the population that is opting against it, at least thus far.  Even if vaccination timelines are met (big if), there could very well be upwards of 50% of the population that has not gotten it, and won't.  So then what?  The virus will still present on a larger scale than what they're hoping for.  In that case, I don't see concerts happening anytime soon, but of course I hope to be wrong.
    Some fraction of those refusing the vaccine will have had covid and thus the antibodies that will protect them. Beyond that, it’s time to open things back up. Other than forcing vaccination, there's nothing else they can do. 
    Forcing vaccination will never happen.  What private companies (airlines, concert promotors, etc) can do is require proof of vaccination for events, boarding, etc which will "force" vaccination by making life difficult for those who choose not to get it.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    No
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Forcing vaccination will never happen.  What private companies (airlines, concert promotors, etc) can do is require proof of vaccination for events, boarding, etc which will "force" vaccination by making life difficult for those who choose not to get it.
    Can't wait for people to start crying about their constitutional right to see Pearl Jam without getting a vaccine. 
    Yes
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    For sure. But even that gets tricky from a logistical standpoint. When do you show thst proof? Are these companies building an infrastructure for customers to upload records? If so, what if I want to buy a ticket last minute? If you show it upon entry, do you get turned away if you forget to bring it? No refunds in that case? Would they also accept a positive antibody result? Do you need to show proof of 2 shots? How long does the most recent dose cover you for? Does it need to be within the last x months?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mcgruff10 said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    At this point it would be nice if they canceled the spring 2020 tour and refund people their money.
    Wouldn't it be better to offer a refund first? So, this way people who want their money back can, and for those who still want to see the shows they already have tickets for still can see those shows? And, maybe, a better reason not to cancel is  the Band have the Venues already and won't have to fight other bands/sport teams/other entertainment, for the same venues? 
    At this point does the band still have the venue?  I mean once the date passes I can't see them holding the venue a year or two later.  With venues I would assume that professional sports teams get first crack at dates then some where done the line would be pj?  I'm guessing there is no guarantee that they would get all the same venues.  I think the best best is to just start over.
    If they haven't canceled yet, and people are still holding tickets, then yes, I still think they have the venues. If they can't get  the same  venues they would've refunded everyone's tickets already? If no venue then there can't be a show>LOL.  It's just a matter of working it into the schedules( like you said, sports teams).

I don't think it would be better to start over. You know how difficult it is to score tickets for Pearl Jam. And, yes, I have tickets for a bunch of shows, so I admit that I'm bias and want to keep the tickets I have so I don't have to fight for them again. I'll wait until 2022 if I have too. 
    Yes
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Can't wait for people to start crying about their constitutional right to see Pearl Jam without getting a vaccine. 
    As weird as it is to think about, you may have been standing next to some hippie at one or more shows who never got an MMR or DTaP vaccine
    edited January 2021
    Yes
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    The festival industry is lobbying the government for aid. The headline makes it seem more dramatic. 

They can lobby until the cows come home, but until the virus is gone and everyone has had a vacine, mass gatherings for music will not take place any time soon.
    This virus will never be gone and everyone is not getting vaccinated. Not even close. Look at the numbers of health professionals that are already denying taking the vaccine on the first roll out. When the general public has its chance too the numbers will be even higher. What then? 

It is obvious that we are at the mercy of the government and health officials that will be making this call but if everyone that wants to be vaccinated is and our hospitals are not struggling what are we waiting for?

100% agree. At that point, you need to open venues, bars, restaurants, etc. We'll have reached the point where things will be for the foreseeable future. Let people get back to work and if someone wants to risk going unvaccinated, that's on them.
    Another thing that has to be remembered is most people who are declining the vaccine are on the "im young and healthy" train.  It is fact that young and healthy people can spread the virus, which is the main danger right now, but it likely won't harm them in a major fashion.  

So if we can get the older folks and people with pre existing conditions vaccinated (I imagine almost all of them will elect to do so), this alone will significantly relieve the burden of our health care facilities, which is the leading reason we still have the lockdowns and restrictions in place.  Getting through the first two phases of the graphic I posted above will significantly improve this entire situation.  

Yes someone young and healthy CAN get sick and die, but the odds of this happening are pretty low.  So in a way, it may be OK if some of this young and healthy population elect to not get vaccinated, and society will be able to move on just fine.  Coronavirus is here, it will always be here to some degree, it will mutate and continue to mutate for the next 20-30 years or longer.  We just need to get to a place where thousands of people aren't dying per day, which can happen when the at risk population is vaccinated.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    Yes
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:

Another thing that has to be remembered is most people who are declining the vaccine are on the "im young and healthy" train.  It is fact that young and healthy people can spread the virus, which is the main danger right now, but it likely won't harm them in a major fashion.  

So if we can get the older folks and people with pre existing conditions vaccinated (I imagine almost all of them will elect to do so), this alone will significantly relieve the burden of our health care facilities, which is the leading reason we still have the lockdowns and restrictions in place.  Getting through the first two phases of the graphic I posted above will significantly improve this entire situation.  

Yes someone young and healthy CAN get sick and die, but the odds of this happening are pretty low.  So in a way, it may be OK if some of this young and healthy population elect to not get vaccinated, and society will be able to move on just fine.  Coronavirus is here, it will always be here to some degree, it will mutate and continue to mutate for the next 20-30 years or longer.  We just need to get to a place where thousands of people aren't dying per day, which can happen when the at risk population is vaccinated.
    Agree all around. I noticed Baker moved some of the phase 3 folks into phase 2 so my fingers are crossed that the general public might be able to get these earlier than April.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    No
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Agreed.  Once everyone has been given the opportunity to get the vaccine, go back to normal life.  Those who choose not to get it have done so voluntarily and there's no reason to hold up large events (i.e. sporting events, concerts) at that point.

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    edited January 2021
    Yes
    While I vote yes and think its perfectly fine come spring once the at risk people have been vaccinated, I do not think the band will take that approach.  I think Europe gets canceled again (due to amount of fan travel between countries).  I think US shows pop up late summer in sheds and maybe some spaced out shows in fall arenas, like 2 or 3 per week so they give the crew time to get tested and such between events.  Also, its a lot easier for the band to travel via road trip if they chose to.  There is really no need for planes if its well planned out. 

The majority of folks are ready to get on with life.  There will be some people who are afraid of everything who choose to stay home and that is fine, that is their choice.  The only acceptable avenue at this point is to cancel and refund all tickets if they don't make a US announcement soon.  I can't even find the refund option on ticket master so I guess 10C has to do it.
    Post edited by jimjam1982 on
    No
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    As weird as it is to think about, you may have been standing next to some hippie at one or more shows who never got an MMR or DTaP vaccine
    Sure, but when was the last outbreak of whooping cough, or measles or mumps that threatened our way of life the way Covid has? 
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    No
    Dont think we will see European shows this year. The prediction was that there would be some fans at the Euros (football/ soccer) but not full stadiums by the Summer of 2021 but that was before this new strain. In the UK there is talks of us being in lockdown until at least March and then it will be another gradual exit out of lockdown aided by most people in the UK over 50 being vaccinated by May.  I guess it will then be down to hospital admissions and how its affecting the unvaccinated. I imagine most countries will be the same.
    I would imagine that they will eventually come to the decision to scrap the whole European tour and look at doing something further down the line. They cant very well limit the number of people attending the shows after they have sold the tickets. No fair way to do that and so no way are full arenas across multiple countries even a possibility in my opinion. It will be a gradual return to bigger and bigger events.

edited January 2021
    Yes
    FR181798 said:
    Dont think we will see European shows this year. The prediction was that there would be some fans at the Euros (football/ soccer) but not full stadiums by the Summer of 2021 but that was before this new strain. In the UK there is talks of us being in lockdown until at least March and then it will be another gradual exit out of lockdown aided by most people in the UK over 50 being vaccinated by May.  I guess it will then be down to hospital admissions and how its affecting the unvaccinated. I imagine most countries will be the same.
    I would imagine that they will eventually come to the decision to scrap the whole European tour and look at doing something further down the line. They cant very well limit the number of people attending the shows after they have sold the tickets. No fair way to do that and so no way are full arenas across multiple countries even a possibility in my opinion. It will be a gradual return to bigger and bigger events.

I think Europe 2021 tour has about a 0.5% chance of happening, I just hope they decide this officially at a reasonable time frame for people to get refunds/book/do whatever they need to do
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    No
    FR181798 said:
    I guess it will then be down to hospital admissions and how its affecting the unvaccinated. I imagine most countries will be the same.

This... I think they're going to have to wait & see how small crowd gatherings are affected once a good amount of vaccines have been distributed and go from there. 
    Yes
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Sure, but when was the last outbreak of whooping cough, or measles or mumps that threatened our way of life the way Covid has? 
    Definitely. I was just trying to make a point about how unprecedented of a move it would be. Wouldn't shock me if you see some versions of it pop up somewhere, but I think it will prove to be stickier than it might seem at first glance.
    No
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Definitely. I was just trying to make a point about how unprecedented of a move it would be. Wouldn't shock me if you see some versions of it pop up somewhere, but I think it will prove to be stickier than it might seem at first glance.
    This whole thing is unprecedented, at least in my lifetime. 

There are so many factors to consider, and in light of Roskilde, I think PJ more than most others won’t move forward until they have a good degree of certainty about safety for all parties involved. 

Just my $0.02, I’m not trying to be a downer. 
  • FR181798 said:

I think Europe 2021 tour has about a 0.5% chance of happening, I just hope they decide this officially at a reasonable time frame for people to get refunds/book/do whatever they need to do
    I agree not going to happen but I hope there is a choice to take a refund or roll tickets over till 2022
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    No
    Unfortunately, no.  I wish this wasn't my answer, but I have little faith in humanity.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

Yes
    FR181798 said:

I agree not going to happen but I hope there is a choice to take a refund or roll tickets over till 2022
    Agreed, I have 10c to Prague that ill only be able to make this summer since I have a 1 month break
  • FR181798 said:

Agreed, I have 10c to Prague that ill only be able to make this summer since I have a 1 month break
    I have tickets for 7 shows this time ideally id like to know new dates before deciding on a refund 
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    No
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    At this point it would be nice if they canceled the spring 2020 tour and refund people their money.
    I'm getting to this point as well.  I'm holding tickets to 3 shows still, but if we're staring down a 2+ year wait on those shows, and not knowing how they will look or which shows may get cancelled, it almost seems that scrapping the whole thing and starting over when they're ready to tour is the right move. 

No way they will do that with the mess that face to fan would be refunding everyone I would bet. Some of those tickets have been sold 10 times over at least for the top shows. 

I have 5 shows for the spring tour all GA so I am admittedly biased but I also am holding a couple of pairs of tickets for friends and family. I have a lot of money tied up right now and I still say to keep the shows as planned. If they cancelled now what was the point of postponing last year just to have a vaccine come out earlier than expected and shows hopefully on the horizon or at least a timeline of when we can have them. 

Those five ga shows might be spread out over six weeks now.  Look what happened to the shows you were going to in Europe.  Wouldn’t you just rather start over and plan accordingly?
    The rescheduled EU shows are now impossible for me to attend. Still, I held onto my tickets because I didn’t have a lot of confidence that they would happen (and would be rescheduled again.)

what’s the refund deadline? I might have to pull that trigger if the shows are still on by then.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    No
    I thought the refund period passed long ago? 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    No
    Just not sure they will roll the tickets over for another year. I will be happy to keep mine and wait for another year or 2 as I was very pleased with the seats I got direct from the venue.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    While I vote yes and think its perfectly fine come spring once the at risk people have been vaccinated, I do not think the band will take that approach.  I think Europe gets canceled again (due to amount of fan travel between countries).  I think US shows pop up late summer in sheds and maybe some spaced out shows in fall arenas, like 2 or 3 per week so they give the crew time to get tested and such between events.  Also, its a lot easier for the band to travel via road trip if they chose to.  There is really no need for planes if its well planned out. 

The majority of folks are ready to get on with life.  There will be some people who are afraid of everything who choose to stay home and that is fine, that is their choice.  The only acceptable avenue at this point is to cancel and refund all tickets if they don't make a US announcement soon.  I can't even find the refund option on ticket master so I guess 10C has to do it.
    You’re making assumptions. “Afraid of everything”, my ass!

I would fucking LOVE to get back to some semblance of normalcy, but not if I become sick(er) in the process.