Options

Billy Corgan Mentions Eddie in Stern Interview

Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
Was an odd set of mentions about Ed by Billy Corgan on Stern earlier this week. 

Started innocently enough with Corgan talking about sharing a bill with PJ in the early 90s and watching Ed climb the rafters at some gig and telling the Butthole Surfers front man that if he falls "not only is he gonna kill himself, but he's gonna kill a few people down below." 

It was a funny moment, but it didn't last. When Stern said something along the lines of "Eddie's a nice guy, right?" Corgan made sort of a poo-poo face and basically said, he doesn't buy into the image that's out there of Ed. He said the same about Trent Reznor. Though he wouldn't go into specifics about any falling out he may or may not have had with Ed or Reznor.

Corgan is perplexing. He's arguably one of the greatest songwriters of his generation, and simultaneously someone who seems to get along with absolutely no one outside of his Pumpkins bubble. It's a shame. Why can't we be friends?

Comments

• Options
    And that "Pumpkins" bubble expands and contracts based on Billy's feelings that day.  
  • Options
    And that "Pumpkins" bubble expands and contracts based on Billy's feelings that day.  
    This is very true. And if you follow him on Instagram, you can see this happen right before your eyes.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    He’s such a douche. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,470
    More people have said nice things about Ed than those who have said nice things about Billy. Except maybe for Dave A. fans
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 589
    edited December 2020
    I think he's taken his shots at Ed & PJ dating back to the 90's.  I remember a friend of mine went to a Pumpkins concert... I'm thinking around '96?  He said Corgan was talking shit about PJ at the show he was at... I think my friend said he was taking shots at Vitalogy.  Then he called Pearl Jam "derivative" on the Stern show a few years ago.  Seems like he always pads it by saying that he's playing in theaters and PJ's in baseball stadiums, so maybe it's understandable why people change.  But c'mon.  You're in your 50s, boys.  And calling PJ "derivative" as if he is some kind of genius at a higher level... he's good, but I think he's seen one too many shapeshifters.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,987
    edited December 2020
    Hes a touch narcissistic and has a competitive ego. Makes it hard to be friendly. I'm sure it bothers the fuck out of him that PJ maintained their fanbase over 30 years while the Pumpkins dwindled. And I'm sure it bothers the ever loving fuck out of him that Reznor has gone on to tremendous critical acclaim composing. 

A lot of guff SP has gotten over the years has been unfair, though a lot of has been and its usually due to Billy's ego. But I think he's a way more complicated persona than he comes across publicly. His Alex Jones / Joe Rogan interviews are a testament to that. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Hes a touch narcissistic and has a competitive ego. Makes it hard to be friendly. I'm sure it bothers the fuck out of him that PJ maintained their fanbase over 30 years while the Pumpkins dwindled. And I'm sure it bothers the ever loving fuck out of him that Reznor has gone on to tremendous critical acclaim composing. 

A lot of guff SP has gotten over the years has been unfair, though a lot of has been and its usually due to Billy's ego. But I think he's a way more complicated persona than he comes across publicly. His Alex Jones / Joe Rogan interviews are a testament to that. 

In a way I understand why he is the way he is. The Pumpkins do not and have never gotten due credit for musical contributions. Corgan continues to put out interesting and compelling music with the Pumpkins and on his own, to this day. That said, a lot of the negative public perception about him is his own damn fault.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    edited December 2020
    Billy is Billy.  He’s never been an easy personality.  He’s been ahead of his time a lot.  He can also make you cringe.  Sometimes he contradicts himself but sometimes he’s admirable for sticking to his guns.  But if you fall in line with him and his music being a SP fan is really rewarding (but still sometimes frustrating).  His involvement and communication is amazing tho. 

I wouldn't expect him to be praising anyone else from the 90s honesty.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,319
    It also occurs to me that I've always thought Eddie is on the introvert side of the spectrum (opposed to someone like Dave Grohl who seems to very much be an extrovert).  Sometimes people mix up introvert with other things.  Maybe Ed just laid low when they toured together back in the day.
  • Options
    turner78turner78 Atlanta, GA Posts: 146
    If I remember correctly, all the other bands on the Lollapalooza 1994 tour couldn’t stand him, he’s been a guest on Alex Jones show and he constantly complains about how they didn’t get credit in the 90s. Seems like an asshole. 
    With that being said, their first three albums are stone cold classics. 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    narcissistic douche
  • Options
    The funny thing was, they were the biggest band in the world in 95/96. They got their due. 
  • Options
    The other thing is, some people thrive off drama because that’s all they know. He seems like one of those people. 

In some ways it’s very Trump-y. Drama gets attention good or bad and it doesn’t matter. 
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 456
    edited December 2020
    I really like some of the early stuff, and he’s made a few good songs since.  But, he’s one of the least likable douchbags on the planet.   It’s turned me off from his music.   And, it seems like everyone (including bandmates) hate him.   I go to most shows of bands I like, but I was not interested in seeing him on his last tour.  Alex Jones, shape shifters, wrestling, his oddball rants/claims, random feuds with other musicians, etc just make him too strange.   
    The Vedder comments were strange, but clearly fueled by jealousy.  He made several other comments throughout the interview somewhat referencing Eddie and Trent Reznor. 
    It’s also worth mentioning Corgan said he and Cornell were not on good terms at the time of his death (though he claimed he didn’t know why).  

Post edited by dr122931 on
  • Options
      But if you fall in line with him and his music being a SP fan is really rewarding (but still sometimes frustrating).  His involvement and communication is amazing tho.   
    For sure. His openness with fans on Instagram is fascinating. Particularly in how he shares the process of recording new albums and remastering old ones. Really goes against the persona he's put out there.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    narcissistic douche
    This
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,319
    The funny thing was, they were the biggest band in the world in 95/96. They got their due. 
    Yah It's crazy.  I saw Nirvana in '94, and Soundgarden in '96 and they were playing the PNE forum in Vancouver which is a crappy old jr hockey arena which holds maybe 4 or 5 thousand people.   Saw Pumpkins in Jan '97 and they sold out the NHL arena.  They were so big, squandered it, and lost the momentum :(
  • Options
    Saw the Pumpkins in 94 at some dump in Fitchburg, Mass. Billy was an absolute douchebag most of the night. I was pretty into them, but it ended after that show. Can appreciate the music, songwriting etc etc, but it kind of stopped there.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,146
    edited December 2020
    With Reznor, could  it be something involving Courtney Love that caused that feeling towards Trent...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    He's insufferable. 

Some artists are good enough to get away with acting like pricks 100% of the time, and IMO Corgan isn't one of them. 
  • Options
    He's insufferable. 

Some artists are good enough to get away with acting like pricks 100% of the time, and IMO Corgan isn't one of them. 
    Nope, he aint got the charm of say, a Liam Gallagher.
  • Options

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    I wonder does billy have a dig at other artists because they are revered.  Its impossible to like corgan.  As we say in Ireland.  Hes a gobshite. A hugely talented one.  Incredible guitar player and song writer.  But jesus Billy cheer up. It's not so bad. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,527
    edited December 2020
    I use the term Fecalitis for people like that. Having a crappy outlook on everything.
  • Options
    "Why don't more people like my band???"

Jeez, I wonder why. 
  • Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 241
    I'm listening to the new Pumpkins album now. 14 songs in, this isn't good. It's boring honestly. Little variety between songs, and not much that stands out.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Not disagreeing with anyone.  It’s just who he is.  I think he cares about his legacy and perception so much that it’s overwhelming.  He says he doesn't care about that or “alternative” but he's the #1 guy at constantly analyzing that old scene and his place in it.  

Smart guy, intelligent guy.  One of the truest things i ever heard was that he’s the biggest SP fan of them all (which makes the reissues and bonus materials so amazing).  

Sometimes its better to just be nice tho.  

• Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,063
    Even his discussion about EVHalen in the earlier part of the interview showed how he was confrontational with him. Saying along the lines of "He just thought I was some crappy alternative artist", shows the ego on Corgan, and while he may have been trying to be humorous, it does not come across that way.

DoDaFoo said:
    I'm listening to the new Pumpkins album now. 14 songs in, this isn't good. It's boring honestly. Little variety between songs, and not much that stands out.
    I listened to it, its not too bad, just very different. Sound like some of these newer emo bands (Panic at the disco, perhaps), but not something I'd listen to much more than that one spin.
  • Options
    It’s just who he is.  

There in lies the problem. 
    If you want more people to like you, maybe act more likable?
    Or just be who you're going to be and stop whining that you're not as popular as you think you should be. 
This discussion has been closed.