Billy Corgan Mentions Eddie in Stern Interview

Comments

• He had a run from 93-03 that was really, really good, and the new LP sounds interesting.  I like that he always takes chances.  

Him having issues with other rockstars shouldn’t surprise you one bit.  Lighten up my friends. 
    I haven’t inferred surprise from many comments...  if anything I see the opposite, it would appear this interview reinforced several people’s opinion that Corgan’s insufferable. 

Re: “lighten up” - I think most of the observations here are pretty fair, Corgan brings this upon himself. 
  • This has been going on for 2 decades. Billy seems insanely jealous of others, bashing Ed, Trent Reznor, the Foo Fighters. He just hates success of anyone he feels is inadequate to him. Narcissist much 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spin.com/2017/03/billy-corgan-nirvana-pearl-jam-suicide%3famp=1

Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • He promoting an album and talking shit about big names gets his name out there more.  It’s been his routine for a loooooong time.  
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    The thing to know about Billy Corgan is that he is a silly ninny.

He fired a former Pumpkins' manager, only to have that manager's replacement quit shortly thereafter (her quoted reason was because Billy Corgan made her sick).

He broke up the Pumpkins, saying that he had taken pop music as far as he possibly could, and that the Pumpkins were no longer interesting to him. At one point he insulted James Iha, and called bassist D'arcy a "mean-spirited drug addict." A few years later, he paid for a full page ad in the Chicago Tribune and Sun Times, pleading for his band back (Iha and D'arcy flatly refused to come back and work with him at the time).

Aside from an uninteresting solo album, Billy also formed the band Zwan in his Pumpkins off time. After Zwan broke up, he went out of his way to insult his former Zwan bandmates, calling them "filthy", "opportunistic", "selfish" and "posers".

Billy also spent some of his humbling Pumpkins off-time appearing at professional wrestling matches. His appearances had little to do with music. In the ECW, Billy broke a guitar over someone's head.

Then of course, there was the William Corgan phase... is he still doing that? The Pumpkins redux, unsuccessful albums, the appearances on InfoWars, the WTF Swine flu theory, the insults toward many of his peers, and now... William once again finds himself at odds with a former bandmate. 

I'm not trying to criticize his albums, or his art... all of that is subjective. Regardless, this guy is a clown. 

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,781
    He owns the NWA
    I miss igotid88
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,644
    I really am a big fan of Gish, Siamese Dream, Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness. I tried not to get too much into the side show over the years. When I saw the Pumpkins in 2018, I was surprised Corgan came out in a huge Goth look, cape and high boots, it really didn’t match what the music was, and I couldn’t imagine any other frontman from the 90s trying that look.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • 3days said:

He fired a former Pumpkins' manager, only to have that manager's replacement quit shortly thereafter (her quoted reason was because Billy Corgan made her sick).

He broke up the Pumpkins, saying that he had taken pop music as far as he possibly could, and that the Pumpkins were no longer interesting to him. At one point he insulted James Iha, and called bassist D'arcy a "mean-spirited drug addict." A few years later, he paid for a full page ad in the Chicago Tribune and Sun Times, pleading for his band back (Iha and D'arcy flatly refused to come back and work with him at the time).

Aside from an uninteresting solo album, Billy also formed the band Zwan in his Pumpkins off time. After Zwan broke up, he went out of his way to insult his former Zwan bandmates, calling them "filthy", "opportunistic", "selfish" and "posers".

Billy also spent some of his humbling Pumpkins off-time appearing at professional wrestling matches. His appearances had little to do with music. In the ECW, Billy broke a guitar over someone's head.

Then of course, there was the William Corgan phase... is he still doing that? The Pumpkins redux, unsuccessful albums, the appearances on InfoWars, the WTF Swine flu theory, the insults toward many of his peers, and now... William once again finds himself at odds with a former bandmate. 

I'm not trying to criticize his albums, or his art... all of that is subjective. Regardless, this guy is a clown. 

I miss Bozo the Clown. Billy, not so much
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,781
    What's sad is more people here would probably defend Billy more than they would Eddie
    I miss igotid88
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    igotid88 said:
    What's sad is more people here would probably defend Billy more than they would Eddie
    Havent seen that at all.  Anyone paying attention for 30 yrs just shouldnt be shocked at Billy insulting other bands.  Someone else said it best—- he’s like a Gallagher brother without the sense of humor. 
  • Hey, if Billy Corgan opens the door by flirting with the seventh circle of Dante's Inferno, then I'll say what I want about him. He's always had a whiny singing voice, and now he looks quite fat to boot. So there Long Red! 
  • Some people age quite well. As for Billy, he's not one of them. 
  • Sounds like I struck a nerve of sorts with Long Red. Sorry buddy, but appearance matters, whether you like it or not. 
  • That's especially the case with regard to famous people who consistently find themselves under public scrutiny. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,542
    appearance matters to the shallow. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Appearance matters to some degree with regard to virtually everybody.  If not, then we'd all look like Janet Reno.  

• With more than 23K posts, perhaps HughFreakingDillon should search for a more well-rounded life.  There's more out there than posting on this site buddy!

• I must say, though, I'm beginning to see the attraction to posting on here.  At least more than before, that is.  
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Billy's comments to Stern about Cornell's suicide demonstrate what a small minded ass he is. He straight up said that CC killed himself because Soundgarden's popularity had peaked and he was now playing to smaller crowds. I have to say that I have never for one moment considered that would be a factor in his suicide. To make that assumption shows you how fixated Corgan is with how 'big' the pumpkins are compared to the 'competition'. He must be one miserable prick. 
    I picked up on that as well, thought it was an absurd accusation.  
  • Long RedLong Red Posts: 185
    I must say, though, I'm beginning to see the attraction to posting on here.  At least more than before, that is.  
    You really needed seven separate posts to say absolutely nothing? 
  • Sorry for striking a nerve buddy.  It happens.

• JimFletcherPearlJamJimFletcherPearlJam Posts: 358
    edited December 2020
    Billy Corgan looks fat to me.  That's not a good look for a rock star.  After what he said about Chris Cornell, he deserves such comments as far as I'm concerned.  By the way, there are too many pansies on this site. 
    Post edited by JimFletcherPearlJam on
  • Long RedLong Red Posts: 185
    Sorry for striking a nerve buddy.  It happens.

Yeah people who are insulting and mean spirited do strike my nerve.
  • I like pansies
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,709
    I like pansies
    I am more a fan of the California poppy myself. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,542
    let's see...."struck a nerve"....comments on post counts, and appearances.....yep....that's the Troll Trifecta. 

later. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Long Red, "mean spirited" should be "mean-spirited" when utilized in the manner that you used it. 
  • HughFreakingDillon -- Trolls are sort of cool in their own way, especially ones who guard bridges and other landmarks. I suppose I've been called worse. 
  • In case you guys couldn't guess, I'm not a fan of Billy Corgan in any way whatsoever. I guess I made that pretty clear. I'd be inclined to let him know if I ever saw him in person, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen. Peace out!  
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,685
    Jim Fletcher rolling in with god king energy and putting individual thoughts in their own posts
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208
    edited December 2020
    3days said:

I think this is the perfect post for this thread.  The question is his behavioural patterns and the lack of credibility it lends to his public comments on his peers and also what impact they will have on how he is viewed and remembered. I don't think it will be all that positive for people who are outside of his inner circle of hardcore fans.  As for his music and art, subjective is the exact word.  That side of it will just boil down to whether his work is something you connect with or not. 
    Post edited by Clapper on
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
This discussion has been closed.